Official Apple TV + Streaming Service discussion thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 57 Old 11-21-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,413
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
Actually total error on my part. The post I saw was for problems on Disney+, not ATV+. So I guess the ATV+ issue still remains.

Sorry to create confusion!
Yep that's what I saw, HDR10 on more recent episodes (as of last night)
PlanetAVS is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 57 Old 11-22-2019, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 9,343
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Was gifted a refurbished iPad and now I'm in for the year for ATV+
m_snow likes this.
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #33 of 57 Old 11-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Member
 
jenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
Can anyone else confirm that last week's episodes of Mankind, Morning and See are showing as HDR rather than DolbyVision on ATV4k. Checked previous episodes at the same time which do play as DV, only the latest (11-15 releases) are HDR.

Wondering if maybe these episodes are now in DV 60hz/fps rather than 30 or 24hz/fps. I have a C-6 OLED that does not do DV in 60hz/fps.... just a thought.

Thanks!
UPDATE:

Spoke to a Senior Apple Tech last night. He was unaware of HDR rather than DV playback on ATV4k as a known issue. Said he would do research and get back to me.
HOWEVER... Checked the new episode of Mankind this morning and it was STILL HDR, but now ALL my A+ streams are only HDR, even those that were previously DV.
Checked several shows and all episodes were HDR only. Confirmed that my purchased movies were still DV and Disney+ content is streaming correctly in DV.

I know at least one other user replied with same issue can anyone else please check and confirm DV playback of A+ original content on ATV4k.

Thanks!

(Again sorry about my brain fade confusing post on a Sony Dis+ DV problem)

Last edited by jenix; 11-22-2019 at 05:21 PM.
jenix is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 57 Old 11-22-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,299
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3793
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
UPDATE:

Spoke to a Senior Apple Tech last night. He was unaware of HDR rather than DV playback on ATV4k as a known issue. Said he would do research and get back to me.
HOWEVER... Checked the new episode of Mankind this morning and it was STILL HDR, but now ALL my A+ streams are only HDR, even those that were previously DV.
Checked several shows and all episodes were HDR only. Confirmed that my purchased movies were still DV and Disney+ content is streaming correctly in DV.

I know at least one other user replied with same issue can anyone else please check and confirm DV playback of A+ original content on ATV4k.

Thanks!

(Again sorry about my brain fade confusing pose on a Sony Dis+ DV problem)
I hope they get this fixed soon as I've been holding off viewing any of the weekly episodes past the first 3 that were made available at launch. I watched all of "Dickinson" as the whole season was made available at launch, I really enjoyed it too.
Keenan is online now  
post #35 of 57 Old 11-22-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,413
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
UPDATE:

Spoke to a Senior Apple Tech last night. He was unaware of HDR rather than DV playback on ATV4k as a known issue. Said he would do research and get back to me.
HOWEVER... Checked the new episode of Mankind this morning and it was STILL HDR, but now ALL my A+ streams are only HDR, even those that were previously DV.
Checked several shows and all episodes were HDR only. Confirmed that my purchased movies were still DV and Disney+ content is streaming correctly in DV.

I know at least one other user replied with same issue can anyone else please check and confirm DV playback of A+ original content on ATV4k.

Thanks!

(Again sorry about my brain fade confusing pose on a Sony Dis+ DV problem)
I'll check when i get home
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #36 of 57 Old 11-22-2019, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,413
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
UPDATE:

Spoke to a Senior Apple Tech last night. He was unaware of HDR rather than DV playback on ATV4k as a known issue. Said he would do research and get back to me.
HOWEVER... Checked the new episode of Mankind this morning and it was STILL HDR, but now ALL my A+ streams are only HDR, even those that were previously DV.
Checked several shows and all episodes were HDR only. Confirmed that my purchased movies were still DV and Disney+ content is streaming correctly in DV.

I know at least one other user replied with same issue can anyone else please check and confirm DV playback of A+ original content on ATV4k.

Thanks!

(Again sorry about my brain fade confusing post on a Sony Dis+ DV problem)
Got the same result. The episode banner only shows HDR now as well
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #37 of 57 Old 11-23-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Got the same result. The episode banner only shows HDR now as well
i just noticed this as well. let the waiting game begin. similar to what happened with amazon on the apple tv that took forever to fix. i predict this will take several weeks to fix.

LG OLED65C9P / LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
akadennis is offline  
post #38 of 57 Old 11-23-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
UPDATE:

Spoke to a Senior Apple Tech last night. He was unaware of HDR rather than DV playback on ATV4k as a known issue. Said he would do research and get back to me.
HOWEVER... Checked the new episode of Mankind this morning and it was STILL HDR, but now ALL my A+ streams are only HDR, even those that were previously DV.
Checked several shows and all episodes were HDR only. Confirmed that my purchased movies were still DV and Disney+ content is streaming correctly in DV.

I know at least one other user replied with same issue can anyone else please check and confirm DV playback of A+ original content on ATV4k.

Thanks!

(Again sorry about my brain fade confusing post on a Sony Dis+ DV problem)
im actually surprised they didnt tell you to just set your apple tv to play back everything in dolby vision. obviously not something you would want to do. remember when the apple tv 4k first came out and there was no setting to match content?

LG OLED65C9P / LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
akadennis is offline  
post #39 of 57 Old 11-23-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,822
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
remember when the apple tv 4k first came out and there was no setting to match content?
There was, it just wan't automatic.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
post #40 of 57 Old 11-23-2019, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
akadennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
There was, it just wan't automatic.
how much fun was that? when we had to manually select frame rate and resolution without really knowing how it was being sent from apple, and their answer was to leave it on the highest setting your TV is capable of. i remember them telling me the correct setting was dolby vision. they really think consumers are that stupid.

anyway, all well ends well :-)

LG OLED65C9P / LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
akadennis is offline  
post #41 of 57 Old 11-24-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,822
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
how much fun was that? when we had to manually select frame rate and resolution without really knowing how it was being sent from apple
Your description doesn't quite reflect reality and manual video mode matching is still common on various devices including one that was just released last month. At least with the ATV you can determine the source characteristics (except exact frame rate) if it's important to you.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
post #42 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 9,343
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 963
The Helpsters is better than See
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #43 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I've had Apple TV+ subscription ever since it came out early Nov, but I can confirm that the DV issue is ongoing for me as well. My streaming device is ATV4k and my TV is Sony 940E.

My family and I checked out See, Dickinson, For All Mankind, Oprah, Snoopy in Space. As you all know, at launch, most series had the first 3 episodes available, and they all played in DV except Oprah, which played in HDR10; don't recall what format Snoopy had though...

About a couple of weeks back, DV completely stopped working across the board. However, this weekend, Dickinson started playing in DV again; See and First Man streamed in HDR only, with the corresponding HDR denomination for each episode as well (used to be DV).

I guess I can 'force' ATV4k to play in DV by changing the menu resolution, but that's not the recommended setting. Still, the main menu for See, For All Mankind and Dickinson notates that it's in DV, so there's still hope that Apple will fix this issue.

Last edited by no_cure; 11-26-2019 at 07:50 PM.
no_cure is offline  
post #44 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,822
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
I can confirm that the DV issue is ongoing for me as well. My streaming device is ATV4k and my TV is Sony 940E.
I haven't followed this particularly closely so this may be well known but the input is (still) Dolby Vision while the output (except Dickinson at least) is HDR-10. Apparently Apple can force the conversion even if your display accepts DoVi. Who knew?

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
post #45 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,299
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I haven't followed this particularly closely so this may be well known but the input is (still) Dolby Vision while the output (except Dickinson at least) is HDR-10. Apparently Apple can force the conversion even if your display accepts DoVi. Who knew?
That is very interesting. And when you say Apple can force" I assume you're referring to the Apple TV device, meaning that the device is getting a DoVi encoded stream yet it's sending out an HDR-10 encoded stream?
Keenan is online now  
post #46 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,822
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
That is very interesting. And when you say Apple can force" I assume you're referring to the Apple TV device, meaning that the device is getting a DoVi encoded stream yet it's sending out an HDR-10 encoded stream?
Yes. If the provider has a DoVi asset it's used by default for both DoVi and HDR-10 sinks. For HDR-10 displays DoVi is converted to HDR-10 in the ATV4K. This is well known. However this is the first time I've seen DoVi assets converted given a DoVi display.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8

Last edited by bodosom; 11-26-2019 at 06:08 PM.
bodosom is offline  
post #47 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 34,299
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
Yes. If the provider has a DoVi asset it's used by default for both DoVi and HDR-10 sinks. For HDR-10 displays DoVi is converted to HDR-10 in the ATV4K. This is well known. However this is first time I've seen DoVi assets converted given a DoVi display.
Possibly some misinterpreted EDID problems? While I haven't followed everything about this issue I believe it's been assumed that this was an Apple TV+ issue and not a problem with the Apple TV device itself. Your observations put that assumption in doubt.
Keenan is online now  
post #48 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Update on Apple TV+ growing pains...

- the documentary The Elephant Queen and Oprah now don't even play. All I get is 'there is a problem loading this content' error.
- Forcing the ATV4k menu to DV resolution doesn't result in See, For All Mankind or The Morning Show to be shown in DV. Each episode of these series continues to be marked and shown in HDR 10
- Dickinson, Snoopy in Space, Helpsters, The Ghostwriter however seem to be the sole DV series on ATV+ subscription: I randomly checked episodes 1, 3 and 5 and they are all in glorious DV.

P.S. I should add that without turning OFF the dynamic range, setting the ATV4k rez to DV won't force every show to DV, that was to be expected...I was just 'testing' several settings. Turning OFF Dynamic Range, indeed it DOES force See, For All Mankind and Morning Show to be displayed in DV. As noted above, another Apple discrepancy is that at the home menu for each series, the details are shown as DV and Atmos...but for individual episodes, the video format is HDR.

Last edited by no_cure; 11-26-2019 at 05:33 PM.
no_cure is offline  
post #49 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Possibly some misinterpreted EDID problems? While I haven't followed everything about this issue I believe it's been assumed that this was an Apple TV+ issue and not a problem with the Apple TV device itself. Your observations put that assumption in doubt.
Unsure about this...I suspect it's Apple TV+ as opposed to the ATV4k box itself.

I just tested Netflix, and for every DV show, movie that I chose, it correctly played in DV if it was such marked (ATV4k menu set to 4k resolution and Dynamic Range ON). My inability to even play a couple of their shows (Elephant Queen and Oprah) as well as Dickinson 'suddenly' started playing in DV again, points to Apple TV+ service.

Can someone else with a different streaming box that can render DV, other than ATV4k, (e.g. NVIDIA Shield) verify if DV is inconsistent on Apple TV+?
no_cure is offline  
post #50 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,822
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Your observations put that assumption in doubt.
No, it's obviously an Apple decision. For some reason they're converting a "set" of DoVi assets to HDR-10 in the ATV4K. The "set" appears to be changing. An explanation is that some video chains were having issues with some ATV+ content (perhaps because of spurious meta-data), Apple has determined what the issue is and they're re-encoding the problematic assets (still as DoVi). In the interim they're using the HDR-10 conversion in the ATV4K.

What I see is that the conversion is happening. Why Apple is doing this is unknown to me. Whatever the real problem might be, this conversion isn't an ideal solution. However it's an easy work-around while they do the (presumably) harder fix.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
post #51 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 06:32 PM
The Ultimate chest punch!
 
Adamg (Ret-Navy)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,753
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
ATV show label indicates DV content. However, when playing content only HDR is triggering. No DV content is playing in DV mode!

As another data point.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) is offline  
post #52 of 57 Old 11-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
The Helpsters is better than See
ha...that's what my 7 yr said too...See is too scary looking

Anywho, so far I will continue the subscription, as I have faith that Apple will fix the ongoing DV issues. Until then, I'll disable Dynamic Range and force the ATV4k menu to DV for all Apple TV+ shows I'm interested in.

It's interesting to note that, except Dickinson, seemingly all of the kids shows retained DV, while the adult themed ones lost DV. Like my kids would know the delta
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
no_cure is offline  
post #53 of 57 Old 12-01-2019, 07:04 AM
Member
 
felang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any updates on this issue? Im using the Fire tv app that hasnt had DV available since launch but did playback in HDR10, and now all shows play in SDR.

I'm guessing this is related to why atv users are not getting DV
felang is offline  
post #54 of 57 Old 12-01-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,822
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by felang View Post
I'm guessing this is related to why atv users are not getting DV
Maybe except DoVi is being delivered to the ATV4K, it's just being converted to HDR-10 -- almost the same as if your display only supported HDR-10.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
post #55 of 57 Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,413
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Dolby Vision and ATMOS seems to be back and working properly, at least on every show/episode that I checked. On Apple TV 4K
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #56 of 57 Old Today, 12:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anyone know what the HDR metadata values are for the Apple TV+ shows? I'm asking about MaxCLL, MaxFALL, Max DML, ... ? I have a Samsung TV (no Dolby Vision), when watching most shows (like ghostwriter, morning show, elephant queen) the lighting levels look great. However, for other shows like truth be told and Hala the picture looks dim. Any ideas or thoughts are welcome as to why this is. Thanks.
brygalt_hdr is offline  
post #57 of 57 Old Today, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,822
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by brygalt_hdr View Post
Does anyone know what the HDR metadata values are for the Apple TV+ shows?
It varies. Don't forget HDR-10 is converted from DoVi if the feature is in DoVi. Perhaps you have a more specific question e.g. "what are the luminance values for the main feature for See ep.3 and Hala ep.1".
Which have
Max/Min Lum: 1000 / 1 nits
MaxCLL/FALL: 1000 / 117 nits
and
Max/Min Lum: 1000 / 1 nits
MaxCLL/FALL: 1000 / 769 nits
respectively

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off