Official Apple TV + Streaming Service discussion thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #61 of 84 Old 12-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Dolby Vision and ATMOS seems to be back and working properly, at least on every show/episode that I checked. On Apple TV 4K
ATMOS never left
PlanetAVS likes this.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 12-09-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2469 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by brygalt_hdr View Post
Does anyone know what the HDR metadata values are for the Apple TV+ shows?
Ghost Writer S1E1

Menu:
Max/Min Lum: 250 / 0.05 nits
MaxCLL/FALL: 250 / 100 nits

Feature (all segments):
Max/Min Lum: 1000 / 1 nits
MaxCLL/FALL: 1000 / 1000 nits

---------------------------

Truth Be Told S1E1

Menu:
MaxCLL/FALL: 1000 / 980 nits

Feature:
MaxCLL/FALL: 1000 / 977 nits

End Credits:
MaxCLL/FALL: 1000 / 153 nits

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #63 of 84 Old 12-09-2019, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
ATMOS never left
True, my oversight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 84 Old 12-18-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 77
tvOS 13.3.1 Public Beta 1 (17K5775c) is now available... downloading now
post #65 of 84 Old 12-18-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4476 Post(s)
Liked: 4127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2942 View Post
tvOS 13.3.1 Public Beta 1 (17K5775c) is now available... downloading now
Are you sure you have the right thread? I'm not sure how this would relate to the Apple TV+ streaming service.
post #66 of 84 Old 12-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Are you sure you have the right thread? I'm not sure how this would relate to the Apple TV+ streaming service.
Sorry wrong thread
Keenan likes this.
post #67 of 84 Old 12-31-2019, 06:08 AM
Vau

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Service already dying?

Good quality can‘t be a permanent excuse for a streaming service to not deliver new content.

About 90 minutes total of new content per week at the moment divided between two tv shows. That‘s all there is.
post #68 of 84 Old 01-07-2020, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Well, per Apple TV+ own website URL...https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus/, the claim is

"New Apple Originals every month"

As far as I can tell, there's only a new show coming, The Banker...

I have enjoyed See, The Elephant Queen and For All Mankind, while the kids really liked Ghostwriter & Snoopy In Space. The family consensus is that both the picture and sound quality on ATV+ is stellar, but from a content perspective, we still regard Netflix king.
post #69 of 84 Old 01-16-2020, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I just subscribed to ATV+ and I'm having an issue. When I watch it through the Apple TV 4k (all updates applied), it won't remember where I left off a show or advance the next episode in the up next queue.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
post #70 of 84 Old 01-16-2020, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
I just subscribed to ATV+ and I'm having an issue. When I watch it through the Apple TV 4k (all updates applied), it won't remember where I left off a show or advance the next episode in the up next queue.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

I have exactly the same issue. After watching an episode, it simply will play the exact same episode again in my 'Up Next' watch list.

I have to manually long press the ep and flag it as 'watched' before it will show that I'm up to the next ep. Strange.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
post #71 of 84 Old 01-16-2020, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post
I have exactly the same issue. After watching an episode, it simply will play the exact same episode again in my 'Up Next' watch list.

I have to manually long press the ep and flag it as 'watched' before it will show that I'm up to the next ep. Strange.
That's what I've been doing as well. Not a huge issue, but there has to be a fix, right?
post #72 of 84 Old 01-16-2020, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Good afternoon, I live in Brazil, I'm looking for an average center that plays blu ray ISO or BDMV, but I can navigate perfectly in the menus like a physical blu ray, I'm in doubt on some models, you can suggest me what are the more efficient for what I'm looking for? For example between ZAPPITI, ZIDOO, DUNE, EGREAT and CHINOOPO which is the best or the models I can buy without fear that will suit me in what I need, I will probably put sata internal hd 5t and play everything on the internal hd. a hug
this apple working?
post #73 of 84 Old 01-17-2020, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
That's what I've been doing as well. Not a huge issue, but there has to be a fix, right?
I was able to find the solution. Enable "use tv history" from within the app settings.
post #74 of 84 Old 01-26-2020, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Lightbulb

Quote:
Official Apple TV + Streaming Service discussion thread
I think that the title of this thread and of your first post should be changed to 'Official discussion thread for Apple's TV apps and for Apple TV+', so that in this thread people will discuss not only the Apple TV+ subscription service, but also the functionality of Apple's TV apps (I said "apps" plural, because I'm including the Apple TV app for Roku, the Apple TV app for other devices, and also the "TV" apps that Apple makes for its own devices.) Getting into semantics, I'd use the phrase "Apple's TV apps" instead of "the Apple TV apps" because on Apple devices, it's just called "TV", so there are no 'Apple TV' apps on Apple devices, but the app for Roku is called "Apple TV". Hence, my use of the phrase "Apple's TV apps".
This thread should be for discussion of Apple's TV apps, and not just the Apple TV+ subscription service. Examples of features of Apple's TV apps that do not relate to Apple TV+:
  • purchasing and viewing of content
  • channels --> Apple TV+ is a channel, and there are other channels as well
Apple TV+ also exists outside of Apple's TV apps: it can be accessed via a web browser.
Therefore, my suggestion for the name of this thread and of your first post: Official discussion thread for Apple's TV apps and for Apple TV+

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S (with Kinect and Kinect for Windows adapter), Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus
post #75 of 84 Old 01-26-2020, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
I think that the title of this thread and of your first post should be changed to 'Official discussion thread for Apple's TV apps and for Apple TV+', so that in this thread people will discuss not only the Apple TV+ subscription service, but also the functionality of Apple's TV apps (I said "apps" plural, because I'm including the Apple TV app for Roku, the Apple TV app for other devices, and also the "TV" apps that Apple makes for its own devices.) Getting into semantics, I'd use the phrase "Apple's TV apps" instead of "the Apple TV apps" because on Apple devices, it's just called "TV", so there are no 'Apple TV' apps on Apple devices, but the app for Roku is called "Apple TV". Hence, my use of the phrase "Apple's TV apps".
This thread should be for discussion of Apple's TV apps, and not just the Apple TV+ subscription service. Examples of features of Apple's TV apps that do not relate to Apple TV+:
  • purchasing and viewing of content
  • channels --> Apple TV+ is a channel, and there are other channels as well
Apple TV+ also exists outside of Apple's TV apps: it can be accessed via a web browser.
Therefore, my suggestion for the name of this thread and of your first post: Official discussion thread for Apple's TV apps and for Apple TV+
There's already a thread for the Apple TV, which includes the apps
post #76 of 84 Old 01-26-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
There's already a thread for the Apple TV, which includes the apps
But it's a thread for discussion of the Apple TV family of devices, and not for discussion of, for example, the Apple TV app on Roku, nor the TV app on macOS. This is the closest thread I've found for discussion of Apple's TV apps.

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S (with Kinect and Kinect for Windows adapter), Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus
post #77 of 84 Old 01-26-2020, 04:41 PM

It's possible that I missed discussion of Apple's TV apps on other devices in the Apple TV owners' thread, which is, I think, the thread that you referred to. So far, I haven't found there any discussion of Apple's TV apps on devices that aren't Apple TVs. Can you link me to some specific posts?

I still think that it would be a good idea to have a thread for discussion of Apple's TV apps that is separate from the thread that's for discussion of Apple TV hardware. I'd create one with the name that I mentioned, but then I'd be going into this thread's subject, and I don't want to split this thread (have two threads discussing the same subject--in this case, Apple TV+). Not that multiple threads discussing the same things doesn't already happen on AVSforum

I suppose that I could create a thread that's just for discussion of Apple's TV apps and not for discussion of Apple TV+ nor Apple TV hardware. There would probably still be a lot of crossover with this thread :-)

What do you think? I wish that it was possible to repurpose this thread instead. I also wish that it was possible to rename threads. It's only possible to rename posts.

post #78 of 84 Old 01-26-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
...on Apple devices, it's just called "TV"
It's named (stylized) tv and pronounced Apple TV. Apple's TV apps is ambiguous.

I don't understand why people frequently use "Official". There are only a handful of threads that have regular "vendor" participation.

Quote:
I still think that it would be a good idea to have a thread for discussion of Apple's TV apps that is separate from the thread that's for discussion of Apple TV hardware. ...
...I wish that it was possible to repurpose this thread instead. I also wish that it was possible to rename threads. It's only possible to rename posts.
The owners' thread, like the Apple TV ("We believe the future of television is apps"), has little to do with hardware.

Site moderators can change thread names if it's obviously the correct thing to do.

post #79 of 84 Old 01-26-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
It's named (stylized) tv and pronounced Apple TV.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_...e)#cite_note-4 --> "Referred to as simply "TV" in Apple operating systems, "Apple TV" on non-Apple devices, and the "Apple TV app" or "TV app" on Apple's website."

Quote:
Apple's TV apps is ambiguous.
I did that on purpose, to include Apple's "TV" apps on Apple devices, and Apple's "Apple TV" apps on non-Apple devices.

Quote:
The owners' thread, like the Apple TV ("We believe the future of television is apps"), has little to do with hardware.
That thread is about Apple TV devices and the software that runs on them. I don't understand what you just said.

post #80 of 84 Old 01-26-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_...e)#cite_note-4 --> "Referred to as simply "TV" in Apple operating systems, "Apple TV" on non-Apple devices, and the "Apple TV app" or "TV app" on Apple's website."

I did that on purpose, to include Apple's "TV" apps on Apple devices, and Apple's "Apple TV" apps on non-Apple devices.

That thread is about Apple TV devices and the software that runs on them. I don't understand what you just said.
The attached image is from an AppleTV4K. See the "Apple uses variations on Apple and TV to represent multiple items" section in [this post].
I understand your point about various instantiations of the tv app but I suspect some set of people would think it's about apps running on the Apple TV. But it's just an observation.
The quote is from Tim Cook noting that it's about the software not hardware. The (not official) "Apple TV Owners' FAQ in the first post thread" thread is primarily about software and content. More time is spent talking about HDMI cables than the Apple TV hardware. And I'm well aware of what the thread is about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATV4K.png
Views:	20
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	2676564  

post #81 of 84 Old 01-26-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The attached image is from an AppleTV4K. See the "Apple uses variations on Apple and TV to represent multiple items" section in [this post].
Keep in mind that there's a difference between the text in an app's icon, which is what the picture that you linked to shows, and the text in an app's name. See here for an example. Its icon is stylized as "tv" but it's name is listed there as "Apple TV" and as TV when installed on an iPhone.

Quote:
I understand your point about various instantiations of the tv app but I suspect some set of people would think it's about apps running on the Apple TV.
I guess that some people might get confused. However, if I created a thread in whose title I referred to "the Apple TV app", that might be problematic, because there isn't a single Apple TV app--there's one for Roku, one for Amazon Fire devices, etc.

Quote:
The quote is from Tim Cook noting that it's about the software not hardware. The (not official) "Apple TV Owners' FAQ in the first post thread" thread is primarily about software and content. More time is spent talking about HDMI cables than the Apple TV hardware. And I'm well aware of what the thread is about.
But, since that thread is for Apple TV owners, per its name, it doesn't seem to be the appropriate place to discuss the Apple TV app on Roku devices, Amazon Fire devices, Macs, etc. It seems to be a thread specifically for discussing Apple TV devices and apps that run on them.

Maybe the best place to discuss the Apple TV app on Roku would be in a Roku-specific thread, as opposed to having a thread for the Apple TV app on all devices, and maybe the best place to discuss the Apple TV app on Fire TV devices would be in threads specific to Fire TV devices.
beerhunt likes this.

post #82 of 84 Old 01-26-2020, 08:01 PM

Still, the OP said that this thread is a
Quote:
Discussion thread for all things related to the new Apple TV + service which launched on Nov 1.
and specifically
Quote:
app experience on the various supported devices
meaning that it's for discussion of the Apple TV app and not just the Apple TV+ service, unless the OP was specifically focusing on the Apple TV+ experience inside of the app on the various devices.

post #83 of 84 Old 01-27-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Maybe the best place to discuss the Apple TV app on Roku would be in a Roku-specific thread, as opposed to having a thread for the Apple TV app on all devices, and maybe the best place to discuss the Apple TV app on Fire TV devices would be in threads specific to Fire TV devices.
Yes, likewise all the other platforms that have a version of the tv app.

post #84 of 84 Old 05-19-2020, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6101 Post(s)
Liked: 5598
Apple TV+ Acquires Old TV Shows and Movies to Build Library

Apple is pivoting its strategy for Apple TV+ by acquiring older movies and TV shows for the streaming service to build up a library beyond its originals...according to Bloomberg, Apple’s streaming execs have been in talks with studios to license older titles for Apple TV+ and have already purchased some films and series, none of which are considered “huge franchises or blockbusters.”

Apple had promoted the streaming service, which costs subscribers $4.99 a month, as the first “originals-only” platform and, according to Bloomberg, the company wants to keep its focus on original content while buying up existing IP for a library that can better compete with the giant catalogs available on Netflix, Hulu and Disney+...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...151610232.html

hard to believe it took this long for the smart executives at Apple to realize that you need more then just a few originals to succeed in the streaming space
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page