Official Apple TV + Streaming Service discussion thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #1 of 35 Unread 11-05-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked: 1949
Official Apple TV + Streaming Service discussion thread

Discussion thread for all things related to the new Apple TV + service which launched on Nov 1. Content, app experience on the various supported devices, picture and video quality etc.

Ordered an iPhone for work last month and forgot that it comes with a free year of ATV+ service. Not a lot of content so far but what's there looks excellent. And this is the first service I've come across that has Dolby Vision (and sometimes ATMOS) trailers. Reports are that ATV+ has the highest documented bit rate of any streaming service so far.

Certain programs allow for the first two episodes to be viewed for free. And it has the standard 7 day free trial as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Unread 11-05-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4991 Post(s)
Liked: 4470
as far as ATV+, is it true that Dolby Vision is only supported on the Apple TV 4K?...so the ATV+ app on Roku or any other device will only have standard HDR (no DV)?
post #3 of 35 Unread 11-05-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked: 1709
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
as far as ATV+, is it true that Dolby Vision is only supported on the Apple TV 4K?...so the ATV+ app on Roku or any other device will only have standard HDR (no DV)?
My FTV4K has HDR-10 + AC-3 stream. I've seen this mentioned but haven't found it at apple.com.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Unread 11-05-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Is this only going to be new content? No licensing? They definitely have not got enough material to justify a paid subscription at any price. Most of the shows only had 3 episodes released.
post #5 of 35 Unread 11-05-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Is this only going to be new content? No licensing? They definitely have not got enough material to justify a paid subscription at any price. Most of the shows only had 3 episodes released.
and then those shows that have 3 episodes released will have a new episode released weekly until they have shown 8 total episodes. By then new shows will be released. Baby steps....

Bobby 

post #6 of 35 Unread 11-05-2019, 04:08 PM

I was expecting For All Mankind to be the best Apple TV+ original series but even that is getting average reviews...at least Apple is giving us reference quality 4K Dolby Vision with some really high bit-rates...that new M. Knight Shyamalan series 'Servant' has the potential to be really good (premieres November 28th)...Apple realizes it doesn't have a huge library of content which is why they are only charging $4.99...plus they are giving 12 months free with any Apple product purchase
post #7 of 35 Unread 11-05-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this only going to be new content? No licensing?
This question has been echoing around the Internet for more than a year. You're not going to find the answer in this thread.See the trade publications for informed speculation.

post #8 of 35 Unread 11-05-2019, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I only get HDR10 on my TCL P605 Roku TV which is DV capable. It does output ATMOS for what its worth.
post #9 of 35 Unread 11-05-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
They really need an Apple TV+ tab or something on the Apple TV app - so much advertising and unrelated content that can't be accessed, and on Fire TV, "purchases aren't allowed".

Surprised that they went for 24fps given Apple TV doesn't support it, although it's industry standard for cinematic and non-broadcast content.
BGLeduc likes this.
post #10 of 35 Unread 11-05-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 824
I’ve been watching for all mankind. Sunday night I watched episode 3 and the opening sequence literally shined in DV on my A9F with the ATV4K! If anyone knows what I’m talking about, I’m spoiler free btw what amazed me was the chrome and his wrist watch! I thought it was a very nice reference scene!

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #11 of 35 Unread 11-06-2019, 05:12 AM
Vau

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Who knows? As of by now, Apple TV+ contains only "Apple Originals", and they announce only more "Apple Originals" for Apple TV+ to come.

This supports the conclusion that it will be only new content and no licensed content.

And I can't recall an official statement that Apple TV+ will only be new "Apple Original" content without any additional licensed material.

If I'd been asked to place a bet I'd put my money on the new contents only Apple TV+ version without licensed materials which are available on other services too.
post #12 of 35 Unread 11-06-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vau View Post
If I'd been asked to place a bet I'd put my money on the new contents only Apple TV+ version
Since Apple has already purchased existing content I suppose you would have lost that bet.

post #13 of 35 Unread 11-08-2019, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
My FTV4K has HDR-10 + AC-3 stream. I've seen this mentioned but haven't found it at apple.com.
Ditto. Watched the new shows on both my Firestick 4K new one and Apple TV 4K and only the ATV streamed them in Dolby Vision only HDR10 on Firestick using Vizio DV capable TV here.
post #14 of 35 Unread 11-09-2019, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 948
I did the free trial and watched most of what was available.

For all mankind was way too boring so I only slept though the first episode of that one. I'm sure it gets better... only real possibility.

I skipped Oprah and the helpsters.

I really want to like ATV+ but it didn't work out. If a new ATV4K or ATV8K is released then I will do the extended trial.

So far Apple services have been a strike out - Magazines, Games, TV... I do have the music and there is a rumor of some sort of super bundle and if it's all put into a cheeper family pack I could become interested.

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 11-09-2019 at 04:17 AM.
post #15 of 35 Unread 11-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
I’ve been watching for all mankind. Sunday night I watched episode 3 and the opening sequence literally shined in DV on my A9F with the ATV4K! If anyone knows what I’m talking about, I’m spoiler free btw what amazed me was the chrome and his wrist watch! I thought it was a very nice reference scene!
Yeah just watched some more Apple TV+ original shows and have to say I"m totally impressed and blown away by picture quality if anything else. They must be using the best cameras and lens money can buy because haven't noticed any softness at edges of screen. Have actually noticed this in a lot of 4K shows, sure most people don't or don't care, but sometimes at edges of screen you can see the softness like someone applied a blurring filter at edges of screen. From my understanding this happens when you use cheap lens. Also, absolutely no noise seen in dark areas, like in scene where Jennifer Aniston breaks into house in "Morning Show" one of the best examples of dynamic range I ever seen. Almost exactly how your own eye would perceive dark room in real life i.e. you don't see noise LOL.
Be interesting to see some of the technical details of what camera other behind the scenes stuff they used on these shows.
PlanetAVS and TitusTroy like this.

Last edited by daviangel; 11-09-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: add info
post #16 of 35 Unread 11-09-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviangel View Post
Be interesting to see some of the technical details of what camera other behind the scenes stuff they used on these shows.
Per IMDB The Morning Show is shot in 8K on a [Panavision DXL2]. The lenses are not noted. Of course post is more important than the camera so shooting in 8K is probably more about creating an impression given that it's a television show.

post #17 of 35 Unread 11-09-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4038 Post(s)
Liked: 3753
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviangel View Post
Yeah just watched some more Apple TV+ original shows and have to say I"m totally impressed and blown away by picture quality if anything else. They must be using the best cameras and lens money can buy because haven't noticed any softness at edges of screen. Have actually noticed this in a lot of 4K shows, sure most people don't or don't care, but sometimes at edges of screen you can see the softness like someone applied a blurring filter at edges of screen. From my understanding this happens when you use cheap lens. Also, absolutely no noise seen in dark areas, like in scene where Jennifer Aniston breaks into house in "Morning Show" one of the best examples of dynamic range I ever seen. Almost exactly how your own eye would perceive dark room in real life i.e. you don't see noise LOL.
I don't think it's a lens thing but an algorithm that attempts to save on bandwidth usage by providing fewer bits for areas of the image, typically around the edges of the screen, than for the central focus of the image such as the object or characters of importance. Netflix does this a lot and once you see it it's hard not to be aware of it, it's somewhat annoying in fact.
post #18 of 35 Unread 11-10-2019, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 271
The Morning Show ep 4 is not coming up as Dolby Atmos here in Australia on Apple TV 4K, only 5.1. Hmmm. Dolby Vision is still working.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
post #19 of 35 Unread 11-10-2019, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I must admit TV+ picture/sound is very good. Watched yesterday See ep 4 and the picture/sound was definitely a notch above Amazon Prime. Higher bit rates do work. Will be interesting to see if TV+ maintains this as they slowly increase the content available and whether the other streaming services (e.g. Prime) follow suit. As for the show itself - it's keeping me interested for now - George

Spoiler!
post #20 of 35 Unread 11-10-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 824
I have been watching both See and for all mankind and the PQ at times is breathtaking on my Sony A9F which is only a 55 inch, man I need to get a bigger screen lol. I like For all mankind better story wise. I’m struggling with see as I find it boring at time and very slow paced. Can’t watch late it puts me to sleep lol
robusto400 likes this.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #21 of 35 Unread 11-12-2019, 03:16 AM
Vau

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Apple TV+ pipeline

We will see if and what will come true.

Foundation may be interesting.
post #22 of 35 Unread 11-12-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Tried to watch For all Mankind, fell asleep. Was just boring. Won't be continuing.

Watched the first episode of The Morning Show. Thought it was decent, but still didn't hook me. Glad they are letting you watch first episode or 2 of the shows. So far I have no desire to subscribe.
post #23 of 35 Unread 11-13-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4038 Post(s)
Liked: 3753
post #24 of 35 Unread 11-14-2019, 02:36 PM

Apple Considering Bundling Apple Music, TV+, and News+ as Early as 2020

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/14...le-2020-rumor/
post #25 of 35 Unread 11-19-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 3457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
I have been watching both See and for all mankind and the PQ at times is breathtaking on my Sony A9F which is only a 55 inch, man I need to get a bigger screen lol. I like For all mankind better story wise. I’m struggling with see as I find it boring at time and very slow paced. Can’t watch late it puts me to sleep lol
The problem with For All Mankind is after Moore's take on Battlestar Galactica people are expecting sci-fi, not an alternate take on the space race which is closer to what reality could be. Sort of like an alternate docu-drama. If the show continues there is the possibility of more what is possible type of storylines, say if they jumped forward a decade. We'll see.
Meanwhile..my crystal ball detects a projector and really big screen in your future. (No I can't predict winning lottery numbers )

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #26 of 35 Unread 11-20-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Latest episodes in HDR rather than DV??

Can anyone else confirm that last week's episodes of Mankind, Morning and See are showing as HDR rather than DolbyVision on ATV4k. Checked previous episodes at the same time which do play as DV, only the latest (11-15 releases) are HDR.

Wondering if maybe these episodes are now in DV 60hz/fps rather than 30 or 24hz/fps. I have a C-6 OLED that does not do DV in 60hz/fps.... just a thought.

Thanks!

Last edited by jenix; 11-20-2019 at 02:43 PM.
post #27 of 35 Unread 11-20-2019, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
Can anyone else confirm that last week's episodes of Mankind, Morning and See are showing as HDR rather than DolbyVision on ATV4k. Checked previous episodes at the same time which do play as DV, only the latest (11-15 releases) are HDR.

Wondering if maybe these episodes are now in DV 60hz/fps rather than 30 or 24hz/fps. I have a C-6 OLED that does not do DV in 60hz/fps.... just a thought.

Thanks!
I get the same result, although they are still in ATMOS. Also the episode banner only lists them in "HDR" vs Dolby Vision for earlier episodes.
post #28 of 35 Unread 11-20-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I get the same result, although they are still in ATMOS. Also the episode banner only lists them in "HDR" vs Dolby Vision for earlier episodes.
Thanks for the info. I did see a similar report on a Sony TV forum which quoted Apple saying that there was a problem with their DV with some users and they suspended DV on new content, but according to those posters it has since been fixed. I'll be checking this evening.

Last edited by jenix; 11-20-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #29 of 35 Unread 11-20-2019, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
Thanks for the info. I did see a similar report on a Sony TV forum which quoted Disney saying that there was a problem with their DV with some users and they suspended DV on new content, but according to those posters it has since been fixed. I'll be checking this evening.
I assume you mean Apple (not Disney)
post #30 of 35 Unread 11-20-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I assume you mean Apple (not Disney)
Actually total error on my part. The post I saw was for problems on Disney+, not ATV+. So I guess the ATV+ issue still remains.

Sorry to create confusion!

Last edited by jenix; 11-20-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming