Netflix, HBO nominally cracking down on password sharing - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Zookster

post #1 of 4 Old 11-09-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Netflix, HBO nominally cracking down on password sharing

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/passw...210830952.html

Some of us feel "cheated" if we pay full fare for a service for our own use, yet other people share their accounts with each other.

It looks like at least some companies are planning to do something about it - though I think it would be pretty difficult.

(Things they haven't discussed doing that would make sense if they were serious about it: Making it so you can only watch one stream at a time, and if people try to sign on to two devices at the same time, block service for a few days. Also blocking if you switch watching locations more quickly than it is plausible to travel between the locations. These aren't complete solutions, as there are or would be work-arounds even for those. Dongles would work a little better, but are inconvenient - and people could still rotate possession of the dongle.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-09-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 1795
Netflix builds password sharing into its pricing tier structure. I can't get 4K or HD quality without also paying for multiple streams I don't need. What the hell is their problem? They charge for password sharing but now want to prevent it?
Brian Hampton and IHaveSpoken like this.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-10-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 947
I was sharing Netflix with my neighbor but I really don't like it and when my friend updated her password I just let it go.

I haven't liked NF in a long time. I never forgave them for Qwikster. I hope they go away or at least get humbled by the new competition.

Also the post above mine is truth. Another friend offered previously to let me use her NF and I knew she was paying for 2 streams and had 2 users so I told her not to share that account for that reason.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 11-10-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-14-2019, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Of course, this sort of thing isn't limited to video streaming services.

It is also possible to share many cell phone and wireless internet services, cable or internet service, or memberships in buying clubs like Costco, BJ's, etc., with "family", or a "household" - and I'm sure some people misuse this ability.

For that matter, even if they don't misuse it, the idea that you should be able to get a discount or share an account legally for being within one family or household is sort of discriminatory pricing, that hurts those of us who live alone.

And it has always probably been the case that the person who nominally holds an account from a company like Netflix, or some of the other services I just mentioned, might be held legally responsible for some of the actions of those that person shares it with. E.g., if one of the shared users were to record shows and widely distribute them to others. So, to some extent, sharing has always been dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page