Roku Ultra trancodes audio from Plex - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwort93

post #1 of 6 Old 11-28-2019, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Roku Ultra trancodes audio from Plex

I have a Roku Ultra. I have tried everything I can think of to get my correctly ripped movies to playback with uncompressed audio to my HT receiver and screen. Despite trying every idea and verifying that the streams are either DTS HD or Dolby Master Audio, and they play fine on my computer, the Roku simply won't pass these formats to the TV, but re-encodes them to AC-3 before it hits the receiver.
I have found other users complain about this problem but no solutions yet. One idea is to try the new Nvidia Shield which supposedly supports pass through for the uncompressed audio streams.

Any ideas?

-david BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-29-2019, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtw View Post
I have a Roku Ultra. I have tried everything I can think of to get my correctly ripped movies to playback with uncompressed audio to my HT receiver and screen. Despite trying every idea and verifying that the streams are either DTS HD or Dolby Master Audio, and they play fine on my computer, the Roku simply won't pass these formats to the TV, but re-encodes them to AC-3 before it hits the receiver.
I have found other users complain about this problem but no solutions yet. One idea is to try the new Nvidia Shield which supposedly supports pass through for the uncompressed audio streams.

Any ideas?

-david BTW

Have you tried forcing the Ultra audio to Dolby Digital+ in the settings? Of course your Ultra needs to be HDMI attached as DD+ can only be transmitted through a HDMI cable and not SPDIF.

Settings->Audio->HDMI S/PDIF->Dolby Digital Plus, DTS
Settings->Audio->Audio Mode->Auto

I got ATMOS working for Prime Video and Plex with the Ultra, it was impressive. Of course Netflix ATMOS will not work but that is more of a Netflix issue than Roku as Netflix demands device ATMOS processing which the Ultra only supports ATMOS via passthru. I can't say I even tried YouTube ATMOS with the Ultra as I can't tell what YouTube is actually sending as a audio stream. Far too many falsely labeled YouTube videos as many marked HDR aren't.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-29-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Roku Ultra trancodes audio from Plex

The Roku Ultra does not support passthrough of lossless audio, including Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio. The Shield TV does, as you mentioned in your first post.
psuKinger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-05-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtw View Post
One idea is to try the new Nvidia Shield which supposedly supports pass through for the uncompressed audio streams.

This is what I do. Bitstreaming of lossless 1:1 MKV files works well within both Plex and Kodi on Shield.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-05-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 822
I would definitely recommend the Shield if you want to pass through lossless audio when watching ripped 4k mkv files with atmos, etc. If you just want to watch mkv's on the ultra without lossless, then it should work as well.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2019, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I would definitely recommend the Shield if you want to pass through lossless audio when watching ripped 4k mkv files with atmos, etc. If you just want to watch mkv's on the ultra without lossless, then it should work as well.
Hello,

Thanks all of you. I tried once again to get my Roku Ultra passing lossless audio last weekend with no success.

Based upon your recommendations I will start the purchase of a Nvidia Shield.

-david BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page