Anyone else have 5.1 Dolby Digital stop working from Roku (non-ultra)? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Anyone else have 5.1 Dolby Digital stop working from Roku (non-ultra)?

I've been using a Roku Stick for a couple of years with an AVR (Teac AG-350h) that is limited to Dolby Digital 5.1 processing. I feed the AVR via optical extracted off of the Roku HDMI output. The Roku audio has always decoded as Dolby Digital in the AVR until a few months ago, then DD stopped working and the AVR processes is it as Dolby Pro Logic. Nothing has changed hardware-wise, so I suspect it was due to a Roku firmware update (Roku automatically updates). I've been trying to work with Roku support, but they have been useless.

Has anybody else experienced this problem with Roku where Dolby Digital 5.1 has suddenly (and permanently) stopped working? I'm thinking the problem might be that they started passing through 7.1 instead of 5.1, and my AVR only handles 5.1, so it is defaulting to Dolby Pro now. I haven't found anyone at Roku that even understands my question, so I'd like to find out if anyone else has experienced this. By the way, due to space limitations, I cannot replace my mini AVR with one that handles 7.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 3512
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I've been using a Roku Stick for a couple of years with an AVR (Teac AG-350h) that is limited to Dolby Digital 5.1 processing. I feed the AVR via optical extracted off of the Roku HDMI output. The Roku audio has always decoded as Dolby Digital in the AVR until a few months ago, then DD stopped working and the AVR processes is it as Dolby Pro Logic. Nothing has changed hardware-wise, so I suspect it was due to a Roku firmware update (Roku automatically updates). I've been trying to work with Roku support, but they have been useless.

Has anybody else experienced this problem with Roku where Dolby Digital 5.1 has suddenly (and permanently) stopped working? I'm thinking the problem might be that they started passing through 7.1 instead of 5.1, and my AVR only handles 5.1, so it is defaulting to Dolby Pro now. I haven't found anyone at Roku that even understands my question, so I'd like to find out if anyone else has experienced this. By the way, due to space limitations, I cannot replace my mini AVR with one that handles 7.1.
What services have you been streaming over the Roku. If a service uses Dolby Digital Plus it can not be used with optical connection. Another thing is Roku's have been receiving a new software update so something may gone awry.

Also try this Roku forum.. You may not be only one having this problem.

https://community.roku.com/

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #3 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
What services have you been streaming over the Roku. If a service uses Dolby Digital Plus it can not be used with optical connection. Another thing is Roku's have been receiving a new software update so something may gone awry.

Also try this Roku forum.. You may not be only one having this problem.

https://community.roku.com/

Thanks. Services are Comcast, Amazon Prime, Netflix. All used to work all the time for about 2 years, now they don't. I suspect those services have been 7.1 for a long time. In the Roku setup, you can set the audio the "Dolby Digital" only (5.1), so I think it used to take the 5.1 stream from those services based upon that setting. The Roku auto-updates whenever new software comes out (haven't seen a way to shut that off), so I think a software update (probably around August 2019) broke it. Haven't been able to get any information from Roku. I'll check out the Roku forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-03-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I've been using a Roku Stick for a couple of years with an AVR (Teac AG-350h) that is limited to Dolby Digital 5.1 processing. I feed the AVR via optical extracted off of the Roku HDMI output.
so you are using some type of converter on the hdmi out of the roku stick?
post #5 of 5 Old 12-03-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
so you are using some type of converter on the hdmi out of the roku stick?
Yes. I convert it one of two ways.

1. With an optical output from an HDMI switch -- this worked with the same Roku Stick for a very long time until around Aug/Sept 2019.

2. With the Roku plugged directly into an HDMI input on an LG projector, and optical output from the projector to the AVR -- that projector will pass through Dolby Digital input from HDMI to optical, and it will convert DD+ HDMI input from the Roku to DD via optical -- so it should work regardless of whether Roku is doing DD or DD+ -- but it doesn't work.

From what I can see, Roku is sending stereo when you tell it to send Dolby Digital. Roku is the only device that does this -- all others work fine through the same HDMI/optical. There was another post in the "Roku Ultra" mega AVS thread last night were somebody has the exact same issues with a brand new Ultra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming