Home networking question - Ethernet hub, switch or router? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By steveas

post #1 of 4 Old 11-30-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Home networking question - Ethernet hub, switch or router?

Hi,

Hopefully this is germane to the AVS discussion since it concerns my media cabinet and streaming issues...I am looking to add a wired Linksys Velop node (placed in the garage, out of Wi-Fi range) to my existing Velop mesh network. Currently, the main Velop node is connected directly to the cable modem via Ethernet. The outgoing Ethernet port is occupied by a wired Ethernet connection to the media cabinet (the base node sits atop the media cabinet, which I want to keep wired for consistent throughput for streaming, etc.)

My thought was to get some kind of Ethernet hub to add the proposed wired node. First question - would I need a hub, switch or router to accomplish this? And second, would the ideal configuration be: modem >> linksys base node >> hub>>media cabinet + wired garage node? Or: modem>>hub>>linksys base node + media cabinet + wired garage node?

Hope the above makes sense and thank you in advance for any insights!

Best,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2019, 04:22 PM
sor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Home networking question - Ethernet hub, switch or router?

If you need to understand how to set up the Velop for wired backhaul, I found this (which you may already be aware of). It seems to want you to daisy chain Velop units together via the secondary wired Ethernet ports. I’m not sure if the two ports on the Velop constitute a switch in the Velop or if it’s a gateway setup, but either way we can just assume the non-modem port is the port we care about for a backhaul and use these instructions to come up with something that should work.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-a...icleNum=217442

It sounds like one of your Velop ports is connected to the modem, and the other to a switch or device in a media cabinet. The wired backhaul instructions want you to plug the second Velop into that plug that is going to your cabinet.

If this is the case, you can:

1) If there is a switch in the media cabinet and it’s handy to use for the second Velop, just use that.

2) Buy a small switch, unplug the media cabinet from the Velop, and plug both the media cabinet and the Velop into this new switch.

In either of these modes you now have the Velop, media cabinet, and extra ports all on the same “layer 2” network. Now just plug the second Velop into a free port.

Don’t buy a router/gateway. You may be able to make it work but it’s an unnecessary complexity and will end up giving you multiple networks to manage.

Don’t buy a hub, I’m honestly not certain that real hubs even exist anymore. Even the cheapest ones I’ve seen will learn devices on ports and work like a switch.

Last edited by sor; 11-30-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2019, 04:30 PM
sor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Here’s another helpful Velop article that seems to illustrate what I’m describing above.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-a...icleNum=243552
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-01-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Brilliant suggestion, thank you! Didn’t even think about the switch in the media cabinet. Added the Ethernet to an empty port and everything worked perfectly. So happy I didn’t buy an extra switch! Thank you again!
sor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page