AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   How Much Speed do I really need! (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3106712-how-much-speed-do-i-really-need.html)

stamina1914 12-02-2019 06:21 PM

How Much Speed do I really need!

When I built my house, I added Cat 6 cables everywhere. So today all of our heavy stuff is connected wired to the network. With the exception of a few phones and tablets (About 5). I am trying to cut the cord. Currently I am getting 1000up and down from Fios. By itself that would cost me about $99/month with a 2 year contract and $124/month to month. My current bill is about $240 after taxes and that included everything! All the premium channels.

My questions the next lower tier options for Verizon is 300 up and down. And I am curios as to how this would affect the family. To be fair, we do NOT stream in 4K. No more than 3 TVs would be streaming or gaming HD content at a time (wired). So worse case scenario 3 TVs are streaming 1080P content while 2 or three mobile devices maybe streaming or facing timing at the same time. Would 300up/down work for my family.

Worf 12-03-2019 12:58 AM

300 is more than enough. The bit rates needed are quite low - most 1080 streams are 5-6 Mbps, so conservatively, 3 1080p streams would require 30Mbps service. Make it 50 Mbps to include some other internet use at the same time.

4K would require around 15-18Mbps and you should make it 25Mbos to be conservative. So 3 of those would need 75Mbos, but you should get 100 to allow for other uses. Thus your 300 is way overkill.

You have to remember that most of the US are lucky to get 1/10th that, and providers generally are set to serve a large market. The number of people able to get 100Mbps is low - limited to population centres.

stamina1914 12-03-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf (Post 58906366)
300 is more than enough. The bit rates needed are quite low - most 1080 streams are 5-6 Mbps, so conservatively, 3 1080p streams would require 30Mbps service. Make it 50 Mbps to include some other internet use at the same time.

4K would require around 15-18Mbps and you should make it 25Mbos to be conservative. So 3 of those would need 75Mbos, but you should get 100 to allow for other uses. Thus your 300 is way overkill.

You have to remember that most of the US are lucky to get 1/10th that, and providers generally are set to serve a large market. The number of people able to get 100Mbps is low - limited to population centres.

Thanks for the explanation. So use the highway analogy, At most, my house may only need 100 lanes of highway so with 300 lanes available I have more than enough at with 1000 lanes, what I am buying from Verizon now, is just a waste of money.

So, if this is correct, where does Internet "speed" come into play in relationship with the Cat 6 cables vs Cat5e vs wireless. Thanks a bunch.

Cheddarhead 12-03-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamina1914 (Post 58907404)
Thanks for the explanation. So use the highway analogy, At most, my house may only need 100 lanes of highway so with 300 lanes available I have more than enough at with 1000 lanes, what I am buying from Verizon now, is just a waste of money.

So, if this is correct, where does Internet "speed" come into play in relationship with the Cat 6 cables vs Cat5e vs wireless. Thanks a bunch.

Cat6 and Cat5e will support gigabit speeds which is the most you will see from your end devices. Wireless is more variable and dependent on distance from the AP, number of devices using the bandwidth and on the age of your devices as new standards are constantly being released but all of the recent standards will NOT be the bottleneck on getting video to your end devices.

If you have larger house you might want to look into one of the new wireless mesh products like Velop, EERO and others.

MikeAlletto 12-03-2019 09:14 AM

Gigabit fios shouldn't be that expensive. I'm only paying $79 a month for just gigabit no contract, no tv. It might be too late (since you said you are on contract) but at renewal time cancel and sign up under someone else in the house (spouse) if possible.

Tfid 12-03-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf (Post 58906366)

I would be more concerned with the monthly data cap if they have one.
In my area Mediacom(onopoly) caps the $78 tier to 300G per month. One stream of HD netflix can easily go over that in a month. I have to buy overkill speeds to get 1000G per month data cap for about $90 per month.

MikeAlletto 12-04-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfid (Post 58908130)
In my area Mediacom(onopoly) caps the $78 tier to 300G per month. One stream of HD netflix can easily go over that in a month. I have to buy overkill speeds to get 1000G per month data cap for about $90 per month.

Fios does not have caps.

Tfid 12-05-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeAlletto (Post 58914254)
Fios does not have caps.

Had no idea what Fios was. No fiber in my area. Data caps suck.

Otto Pylot 12-05-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfid (Post 58908130)

We have Comcast and Frontier in our area. We opted for Comcast because Frontier has a lot of issues in our area and the speeds were less than Comcast. Comcast caps us at 1TB and we get a consistent 300Mbps down so there are no issues streaming anything. We usually hit about 250GB per month download.