Help choosing music streaming device - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ballen420

post #1 of 7 Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Help choosing music streaming device

I recently signed up for Tidal (not the MQA level) and need help choosing a good streaming device. I've heard good things on the Bluesound Node 2 but would like to know of other options I should be considering. Would like to keep my spend at no higher than $1,000. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Marantz SR7012, LG OLED55C7P, Sony UBP X800
Anthem MCA 525, Panamax M-5400
Kef R5, R2c, Paradigm MilleaniaOne Surrounds/Rear Heights
Kef Q150 Front Heights, HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 dual subs
Running 5.2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 117
If all you're using is Tidal CD quality, then I would save yourself some money and just stream it to your receiver.
mlknez likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
I recently signed up for Tidal (not the MQA level) and need help choosing a good streaming device. I've heard good things on the Bluesound Node 2 but would like to know of other options I should be considering. Would like to keep my spend at no higher than $1,000. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I thought Tidal only came in two tiers
1) The "standard" one ($9.99; direct competitor to Google/Apple/Spotify/Rhapsody/Amazon-Included-With-Prime etc)
2) "Hi-Fi" - CD Quality (with MQA on top, when available and if you have decoding capability), for twice the price of the standard tier.

When you say "not the MQA level" does that mean you didn't do HiFi? Or, does it mean you went with HiFi but don't have any means to decode MQA?

And follow-up question, when you say you don't want to spend any more than $1,000, what's included/needed in that budget? Is that what you have available to spend on streaming tech? If that budget is only for "streaming tech" (hardware + software), and if you have a PC available to play the role of "server duties", with that budget, for streaming tech only, and with a Tidal HiFi subscription, I'd recommend a lifetime Roon subscription and a Raspberry Pi running Ropieeee. Great option for now, something you can "grow" around with more endpoints, versatile (will work with BlueSound if you still end up deciding you want to go that way, works wth Sonos if you go that route, you can stick with more raspberry pi's if you like that, you can opt for some super-high-end-y Roon Ready DACs and Streamers if you prefer that, etc etc etc). It's great software, it integrates Tidal's library with your own files, and you can "get to the finish line," under budget, when paired with a Pi...

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.

Last edited by psuKinger; 12-13-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I thought Tidal only came in two tiers
1) The "standard" one ($9.99; direct competitor to Google/Apple/Spotify/Rhapsody/Amazon-Included-With-Prime etc)
2) "Hi-Fi" - CD Quality (with MQA on top, when available and if you have decoding capability), for twice the price of the standard tier.

When you say "not the MQA level" does that mean you didn't do HiFi? Or, does it mean you went with HiFi but don't have any means to decode MQA?

And follow-up question, when you say you don't want to spend any more than $1,000, what's included/needed in that budget? Is that what you have available to spend on streaming tech? If that budget is only for "streaming tech" (hardware + software), and if you have a PC available to play the role of "server duties", I'd Because with that budget, for streaming tech only, and with a Tidal HiFi subscription, I'd recommend a lifetime Roon subscription and a Raspberry Pi running Ropieeee. Great option for now, something you can "grow" around with more endpoints, versatile (will work with BlueSound if you still end up deciding you want to go that way, works wth Sonos if you go that route, you can stick with more raspberry pi's if you like that, you can opt for some super-high-end-y Roon Ready DACs and Streamers if you prefer that, etc etc etc). It's great software, it integrates Tidal's library with your own files, and you can "get to the finish line," under budget, when paired with a Pi...
I only have the standard Tidal subscription and not the HiFi. I can now play through my Marantz 7010 utilizing HEOS but am considering a dedicated streamer. I do not have a library of music that I need to incorporate so just looking for the streamer. Not convinced I am knowledgeable enough about the topic and need to improve my understanding.

Running 5.2.4
post #5 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I only have the standard Tidal subscription and not the HiFi. I can now play through my Marantz 7010 utilizing HEOS but am considering a dedicated streamer. I do not have a library of music that I need to incorporate so just looking for the streamer. Not convinced I am knowledgeable enough about the topic and need to improve my understanding.
Although I am still on my Tidal free trial so may upgrade to the MQA HiFi.

Running 5.2.4
post #6 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Well this is all "JMO" and as always "YMMV":
1) IMO the whole point to Tidal is the CD-quality FLAC files (and potentially MQA if you can/want to support it); for $10 a month lossy streaming, I personally would spend my money on another service (Spotify, Google Play, Apple, etc).
2) I thought (and still think), that for a Tidal-HiFi user, Roon+Pi is worth some consideration, if you have the budget/ability to afford something like a Bluesound Node 2. Bluesound would be more "hands-off; plug-n-play" and for some that will definitely be preferred. For others, I think Roon+Pi might be a better solution, which is why I mentioned it.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-12-2019, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Well this is all "JMO" and as always "YMMV":
1) IMO the whole point to Tidal is the CD-quality FLAC files (and potentially MQA if you can/want to support it); for $10 a month lossy streaming, I personally would spend my money on another service (Spotify, Google Play, Apple, etc).
2) I thought (and still think), that for a Tidal-HiFi user, Roon+Pi is worth some consideration, if you have the budget/ability to afford something like a Bluesound Node 2. Bluesound would be more "hands-off; plug-n-play" and for some that will definitely be preferred. For others, I think Roon+Pi might be a better solution, which is why I mentioned it.
Thanks much.

Running 5.2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page