TuneIn App for Amazon FireTV fixed! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-14-2019, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Exclamation TuneIn App for Amazon FireTV fixed!

For anyone who uses the TuneIn radio app on an Amazon FireTV or Fire Stick, and was horrified to see it become a brain-dead toy Thursday, with no log-in option, so it no longer had your favorites, and a search function that returned several irrelevant pages of hits to scroll down through to get your station, uninstall it and reinstall it and it will be back to normal.

Early Friday morning (before dawn), after finding that this had happened on all of my Fire devices (an old Stick, an old 4K Fire, and a new 4K Stick), I found the Contact Us link on their website and sent a complaint explaining the problem. Within a few hours I got an email explaining that the Fire doesn't allow apps to have logins, so I should complain to Amazon, and that I should try searching on the station's name.

Friday afternoon - I had been traveling during the day - I wrote back pointing out that other third-party Fire apps do have logins, so it would be futile to argue with Amazon about a problem caused by TuneIn itself, and that I was searching on the stations' names.

That got a response that the issue would be passed on to their programmers.

Late Friday night, after seeing that the app was still broken, I uninstalled it and went looking for an APK (installation file) for the Android version (the FireTV, like the Kindle Fire, is an Android with the Google Play Store removed). I didn't find one on FileHippo and didn't trust the one I did find at a site recommended by a YouTube video, so I reinstalled the official Fire app, after noting that the screen shots looked like the right version.

It was indeed back to its normal self. Once I logged in with my email address and password, it was back to normal, with my favorites displayed.

I guess the programmers looked at my referred complaint, said "How did that happen?" and put it back the way it was.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease. And don't rely on the Fire's auto-update option for apps, which didn't bring it back by itself.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-14-2019, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I may have written too soon. The older Fire Stick at my wife's did indeed revert to the good version of TuneIn, but the newer 4K Stick and full 4K Fire TV I have did not.

I hope it's just a matter of time.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page