NEC Code for terminating cat6 in new construction? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-23-2019, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
NEC Code for terminating cat6 in new construction?

My wife and I will be building a new home starting in March of 2020. I have been given permission from our builder to run my own cat6 throughout the house.

Ideally, I would like to run all the cables and physically terminate them with the RJ45 connectors after I move in come July.

My local municipality appears to go by PA building code which appears to go by the international building code standards for electrical.

Will I HAVE TO terminate all my runs with the RJ45 connectors upon initial install or can they be terminated another way within the low volatage mounting brackets and finished off with connectors later?

I have been searching the internet tirelessly and have yet to find an answer.

Thanks!

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-24-2019, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 601
No, low voltage cabling does not need to be terminated. Especially runs of cat cabling - which can be used for networking, phone, alarm or other purposes. The cable is put into a standard box and then you put a blanking plate over it.

Just make sure the cabling is properly fire rated and kept away from high voltage cabling - if you run the cables close then the low voltage cabling needs to be high voltage rated.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-24-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
No, low voltage cabling does not need to be terminated. Especially runs of cat cabling - which can be used for networking, phone, alarm or other purposes. The cable is put into a standard box and then you put a blanking plate over it.

Just make sure the cabling is properly fire rated and kept away from high voltage cabling - if you run the cables close then the low voltage cabling needs to be high voltage rated.

Thank you! This is what I suspected, but wasn’t 100% sure.

I have seen YouTube vids suggesting to use and adjacent wall cavity for the low voltage wiring. Would I be ok to keep it in the same “stud bay,” but on opposite studs? I’d imagine that’d be ok since I’ve seen the two can be run into the same box as long as it’s properly divided.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-24-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjloper9 View Post
Thank you! This is what I suspected, but wasn’t 100% sure.

I have seen YouTube vids suggesting to use and adjacent wall cavity for the low voltage wiring. Would I be ok to keep it in the same “stud bay,” but on opposite studs? I’d imagine that’d be ok since I’ve seen the two can be run into the same box as long as it’s properly divided.

Thanks again!

Per IEEE specs you should be fine, it is Cat 5e running gigabit needs to be 12" away from 110v. So if you have 16" stud bays you will be 12" away.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-24-2019, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
Per IEEE specs you should be fine, it is Cat 5e running gigabit needs to be 12" away from 110v. So if you have 16" stud bays you will be 12" away.

Thank you. Merry Christmas!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page