AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   UPS vs Power Conditioner (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3114302-ups-vs-power-conditioner.html)

Scott Oakley 01-06-2020 04:47 AM

UPS vs Power Conditioner

I am considering upgrading my Panamax power conditioner (mid-brand model). Since we have an average of two-three power outtages where i live, i'm wondering about the advantages of a UPS vs a power conditioner. I'm even wondering if UPS' with effective surge protection exist.

I could be wrong but I havent found a lot of discussion of this topic on AVS. If there is a place for that, forgive me and I'll move on over to that sub-forum.

Scott

electronjunkie 01-06-2020 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Oakley (Post 59054452)
I am considering upgrading my Panamax power conditioner (mid-brand model). Since we have an average of two-three power outtages where i live, i'm wondering about the advantages of a UPS vs a power conditioner. I'm even wondering if UPS' with effective surge protection exist.

I could be wrong but I havent found a lot of discussion of this topic on AVS. If there is a place for that, forgive me and I'll move on over to that sub-forum.

Scott

You might what to check out this model of UPS it seems to be a popular choice, APC 1500

Scott Oakley 01-06-2020 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electronjunkie (Post 59054538)
You might what to check out this model of UPS it seems to be a popular choice, APC 1500

thanks...i do need a rack-mount config (not for actual rack mounting but for a horizontal form factor). TrippLite has a couple which seem to be a lot cheaper than Panamax models. Lots to consider, as usual.....

electronjunkie 01-06-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Oakley (Post 59054608)
thanks...i do need a rack-mount config (not for actual rack mounting but for a horizontal form factor). TrippLite has a couple which seem to be a lot cheaper than Panamax models. Lots to consider, as usual.....

And of course when it comes to something like a UPS, you get what you pay for.
Good luck with the hunt.

peniku8 01-06-2020 07:52 AM

I own a Furman power conditioner (which was like 400 bucks) and an Eaton UPS (which came in at a quarter of the price).
Both devices are being used for my live equipment. The UPS is being used for my FOH mixing console. It keeps the console running for about half an hour, when it's fully charged. It also claims to have surge protection. The eaton device is not a rack unit, which made it a lot cheaper. The Eaton 5P line (1U rack units) comes in at 400$ for the cheapest models.

APC seems to be the most popular here in Europe, but their devices are about twice as expensive as the Eaton products (the rack versions that is, but they also seem to come with more features).
APC Smart-UPS Rack units are very popular here.
I would recommend looking into the output voltage (on battery) with a scope. Some cheap models output stepped sine waves, which is bad for certain equipment. You want a smooth sine wave.
I still regret buying that Furman power conditioner over the similarly priced Eaton rack UPS. "Mini blackouts" which last a fraction of a second can cause digital equipment to do a reboot.

How much gear are you trying to power during your blackouts? How long do those blackouts last? A UPS is often just the "last straw", to save your work and safely turn your devices off. An UPS which is designed to keep your equipment going over hours will be pretty big and costly (industrial UPS systems are basically fridge-sized batteries). Luckily this is scalable. You need lots? You pay lots. You need something like I did, which prevents my gear from shutting down during few seconds to minutes blackouts? Pocket change.

Scott Oakley 01-06-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electronjunkie (Post 59054862)
And of course when it comes to something like a UPS, you get what you pay for.
Good luck with the hunt.

yeah-story of my life.

my requirements are (as usual) fairly simple: 1. almost zero fan noise; 2. power conditioning/surge protection; and 3. protection for a brand new LG OLED and a less than one year old upper end Marantz AVR.

at this point, i've found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews.

but 3 mins of back-up power for 800 bucks doesnt seem like a good return on investment (i've already got a 3400 level Panamax conditioner

so you can see my quandry.

tigerhonaker 01-06-2020 07:56 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Scott

Scott,

I have the Richard Gray devices and also some weeks ago I made the decision to add a full home protection device.
I'll see if I can find a few pictures to post of it as Photobucket has now been down for like a month.
So I cannot simply go to it and post the pictures.
Nor would it do any good for me to post the link to the post I did on AVS as All Photobucket pictures no-longer are showing up.

Anyway, below are the pictures of what I had installed.
Note, I also was told to keep the much smaller Protection device that was installed a few years ago when I had a new 200-Amp-Service installed.

Left click on image to view Full-Size,

Attachment 2665376

Attachment 2665378

Attachment 2665380

Attachment 2665382

Attachment 2665384

Attachment 2665386

Attachment 2665388

Attachment 2665390

Attachment 2665392

Attachment 2665394

Terry

Scott Oakley 01-06-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker (Post 59055038)
Scott,

I have the Richard Gray devices and also some weeks ago I made the decision to add a full home protection device.
I'll see if I can find a few pictures to post of it as Photobucket has now been down for like a month.
So I cannot simply go to it and post the pictures.
Nor would it do any good for me to post the link to the post I did on AVS as All Photobucket pictures no-longer are showing up.

Anyway, below are the pictures of what I had installed.
Note, I also was told to keep the much smaller Protection device that was installed a few years ago when I had a new 200-Amp-Service installed.

Left click on image to view Full-Size,

Attachment 2665376

Attachment 2665378

Attachment 2665380

Attachment 2665382

Attachment 2665384

Attachment 2665386

Attachment 2665388

Attachment 2665390

Attachment 2665392

Attachment 2665394

Terry

awesome. thank you!

i will review carefully.

scott

tigerhonaker 01-06-2020 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Oakley (Post 59055208)
awesome. thank you!

i will review carefully.

scott

Scott,

Another picture below ...............

Attachment 2665616

Terry

Scott,

I just now checked and Photobucket is back-up so Click on the Links below they might be of interest to you.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post58873896

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post58919090

Terry

Scott Oakley 01-07-2020 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker (Post 59057062)
Scott,

Another picture below ...............

Attachment 2665616

Terry

Scott,

I just now checked and Photobucket is back-up so Click on the Links below they might be of interest to you.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post58873896

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post58919090

Terry

Thank you! Absolutely incredible work and setup!!

tigerhonaker 01-07-2020 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Oakley (Post 59060144)
Thank you! Absolutely incredible work and setup!!

Hey Scott,

Just sharing buddy as sometimes what one of us has or does another member might also like to do or have. :)

Have a good day..............

Terry

Scott Oakley 01-07-2020 08:14 AM

just ran across a company called Zero Surge which makes surge protectors.

anybody have any experience/opinion on their products?

meburdick 01-07-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Oakley (Post 59055030)
yeah-story of my life.

my requirements are (as usual) fairly simple: 1. almost zero fan noise; 2. power conditioning/surge protection; and 3. protection for a brand new LG OLED and a less than one year old upper end Marantz AVR.

at this point, i've found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews.

but 3 mins of back-up power for 800 bucks doesnt seem like a good return on investment (i've already got a 3400 level Panamax conditioner

so you can see my quandry.

It's important to keep in mind that a UPS is not intended to be a REPLACEMENT for power, but a bridge to either a safe shutdown of the attached devices or "enough reserve power" to get you through to a return of street power or the starting up of something like a generator.

Charles R 01-07-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Oakley (Post 59060956)
just ran across a company called Zero Surge which makes surge protectors.

If you are really looking into surge protection I would look into Brickwall.

Scott Oakley 01-08-2020 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles R (Post 59062444)
If you are really looking into surge protection I would look into Brickwall.

Their stuff looks suspiciously like Zero Surge's...but thank you.

Scott Oakley 01-08-2020 05:39 AM

Quote:

Scott

OK, i've done my research and purchased the 15 amp, 2 outlet Zero Surge product (https://zerosurge-com.3dcartstores.com/2R15W_p_12.html).

Their product line and web site look very straight-forward, logical and devoid of hype. Additionally, their marketing person was very responsive and helpful.

I'm not one of those guys that asks a lot of questions and then disappears and you dont know what they decided to do. So, for those of you in my position, hope the discussion here was helpful. it certainly was to me and i appreciate all the feedback. you guys never let me know.

Scott