New TIVO 4K Streaming Dongle Coming In April - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 82 Old 05-09-2020, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Does the Tivo Stream 4K support Amazon (Prime) Music?

I chatted online with a Tivo CSR the other day and he couldn't answer the question.
Couldn't find any Amazon Music app in the store, and nothing installed OOTB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 Old 05-09-2020, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 982
New TIVO 4K Streaming Dongle Coming In April

Got mine in. I didn't get Atmos on all the apps I tried (Netflix, Vudu, Disney+). Vudu was only able to playback in HD also. It is also always in Dolby Vision or HDR10 depending on what you use. There doesn't seem to be an Auto Dynamic Range setting anywhere. I put it in my bedroom for now which is an HD TV. I think it's works really well for the function and getting to content is super nice and easy. It has a ways to go on Atmos and things on the video quality side. Haven't played with it much so maybe there are some settings I have incorrect.
brotony likes this.

Last edited by beardontwalk123; 05-09-2020 at 11:59 AM.
post #33 of 82 Old 05-09-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwort93 View Post
Couldn't find any Amazon Music app in the store, and nothing installed OOTB.
Thanks!

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 82 Old 05-09-2020, 12:03 PM

Also, upon further investigation, the raised black issue with SDR content, doesn't seem to be caused by the SDR -> HDR conversion. I plugged the TiVo Stream 4K into my Oppo UDP-203 and set the HDMI in spec to be limited to 1080p. The Oppo now reports receiving a 1080p SDR Rec. 709 signal, but there are still elevated black levels in all SDR content.
brotony likes this.
post #35 of 82 Old 05-09-2020, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3

Quote:
Got mine this morning and did a fair amount of testing, this is what I found:

• No automatic dynamic range switching: If your TV/Display supports HDR, it is always stuck in HDR10 or Dolby Vision (you do have a manual choice of HDR formats, but can't choose SDR at all), which not only does it make SDR content look wrong, it seems to cause significantly elevated black levels on SDR content on my C9 OLED. Didn't notice elevated black levels with native HDR10 or Dolby Vision content though.
  • No automatic refresh rate/resolution switching, natively or via the Plex and Kodi app settings. Settings show as availble in Plex/Kodi, but have no effect.
  • Supports 24p (23.973Hz as confirmed via HDFury Integral 2), 25p, 30p, 50p, and 60p manual refresh rate settings
  • No Audio passthrough of lossless formats in Plex or Kodi
  • USB-C ethernet adapter turned on and seemed to show link activity when I plugged it in, but the device wouldn't actually connect to the network
  • Wifi speeds pretty decent, got a 270Mbps speedtest connected to my Amplifi Alien router with my AT&T Fiber 1000 connection
  • Sling guide in the TiVo Stream app doesn't support any sorting by channel type that I can find, and always displays duplicate channels if you subscribe to both Orange and Blue

If anyone has any other questions, I'm more than happy to answer or investigate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Got mine in. I didn't get Atmos on all the apps I tried (Netflix, Vudu, Disney+). Vudu was only able to playback in HD also. It is also always in Dolby Vision or HDR10 depending on what you use. There doesn't seem to be an Auto Dynamic Range setting anywhere. I put it in my bedroom for now which is an HD TV. I think it's works really well for the function and getting to content is super nice and easy. It has a ways to go on Atmos and things on the video quality side. Haven't played with it much so maybe there are some settings I have incorrect.

I used to think converting it all to Dolby Vision was bad but then I started reading a lot here at AVS and saw some people that are doing a hack to play Dolby Vision on all HDR displays. Some of them reported it looking great converting it all to Dolby Vision, so I tried it again and after doing some calibration of settings I have to agree. It can look pretty awesome. I would try that.

Quote:
Also, upon further investigation, the raised black issue with SDR content, doesn't seem to be caused by the SDR -> HDR conversion. I plugged the TiVo Stream 4K into my Oppo UDP-203 and set the HDMI in spec to be limited to 1080p. The Oppo now reports receiving a 1080p SDR Rec. 709 signal, but there are still elevated black levels in all SDR content.

Maybe it just puts out an RGB Full signal, which would make blacks look elevated?

I used to have a 203 and I think if you don’t select the Input Bypass mode then it doesn’t allow Dolby Vision so that’s probably why it shows SDR now maybe.

Last edited by BillyClyde1115; 05-09-2020 at 06:26 PM.
post #36 of 82 Old 05-09-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyClyde1115 View Post
I used to think converting it all to Dolby Vision was bad but then I started reading a lot here at AVS and saw some people that are doing a hack to play Dolby Vision on all HDR displays. Some of them reported it looking great so I tried it again and after doing some calibration of settings I have to agree. It can look pretty awesome. I would try that.

Maybe it just puts out an RGB Full signal, which would make blacks look elevated?

I used to have a 203 and I think if you don’t select the Input Bypass mode then it doesn’t allow Dolby Vision so that’s probably why it shows SDR now maybe.

Yeah, my goal by plugging it into the hdmi in on the oppo was to force it into SDR 1080p. The chroma setting according to the settings it YcCbCr 4:4:4. You can choose RGB, but I don’t have it set that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BillyClyde1115 likes this.

Last edited by jwort93; 05-09-2020 at 02:10 PM.
post #37 of 82 Old 05-09-2020, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Does it play Youtube in 4k and HDR?
post #38 of 82 Old 05-09-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5739 Post(s)
Liked: 3835
Quote:
Got mine this morning and did a fair amount of testing, this is what I found:

• No automatic dynamic range switching: If your TV/Display supports HDR, it is always stuck in HDR10 or Dolby Vision (you do have a manual choice of HDR formats, but can't choose SDR at all), which not only does it make SDR content look wrong, it seems to cause significantly elevated black levels on SDR content on my C9 OLED. Didn't notice elevated black levels with native HDR10 or Dolby Vision content though.
  • No automatic refresh rate/resolution switching, natively or via the Plex and Kodi app settings. Settings show as availble in Plex/Kodi, but have no effect.
  • Supports 24p (23.973Hz as confirmed via HDFury Integral 2), 25p, 30p, 50p, and 60p manual refresh rate settings
  • No Audio passthrough of lossless formats in Plex or Kodi
  • USB-C ethernet adapter turned on and seemed to show link activity when I plugged it in, but the device wouldn't actually connect to the network
  • Wifi speeds pretty decent, got a 270Mbps speedtest connected to my Amplifi Alien router with my AT&T Fiber 1000 connection
  • Sling guide in the TiVo Stream app doesn't support any sorting by channel type that I can find, and always displays duplicate channels if you subscribe to both Orange and Blue

If anyone has any other questions, I'm more than happy to answer or investigate!
Great another junk limited streamer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #39 of 82 Old 05-09-2020, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post
Does it play YouTube in 4k and HDR?
4K yes, HDR no.

I just got one in for evaluation, and it almost seems like the build is still beta. Examples:

Settings menu allows Dolby TrueHD / DTS-HD to be enabled, but the box doesn't support these. (?)

VUDU, Movies Anywhere apps do not show UHD/4K support. (?)

Switch from HDR-10 to DoVi requires device restart. (?)

Very early stages. Still sorting through it...

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #40 of 82 Old 05-10-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6186
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Great another junk limited streamer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Seems they dropped the ball. Back to the ATV4K...
brotony likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
post #41 of 82 Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Seems they dropped the ball. Back to the ATV4K...
Forced HDR is a showstopper for me. Hopefully it gets fixed
georgeorwell and brotony like this.
post #42 of 82 Old 05-10-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Forced HDR is a showstopper for me. Hopefully it gets fixed
Yeah, maybe they will fix some things via update...
brotony likes this.

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
post #43 of 82 Old 05-10-2020, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

I suspect there will be some significant updates coming soon, especially to enable 4K UHD playback in the apps that are currently HD. My unit appears to using HD tier for Netflix, Prime, VUDU, Movies Anywhere and perhaps others I have not looked at yet.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #44 of 82 Old 05-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

As of this afternoon, Netflix and Prime are now using 4K UHD tier for original content.
mtthwgrms likes this.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

post #45 of 82 Old 05-11-2020, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Well I'm disappointed. Was really hoping for Atmos from NF. Mine will show up tomorrow and I'll play with it a bit, may send it back. Tired of the Kodi setup on my FS to play NF Atmos, too kludgy. I will not buy any Apple product so it only leaves me with high priced options that I'm not going to do. Wish someone would explain what NF's issue is with rolling out Atmos to more devices, even the ones promised last spring - they certainly have the money now.
post #46 of 82 Old 05-11-2020, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

At this point I'd give this TiVo a solid C+. It has promise but has a ways to go.

Setup for me was painful, used my phone as suggested and it never completed. Would not connect to my router, even after reboot, but eventually did connect to my 5ghz band. Added a speed test app, getting 150ish down, FS was at 190.

As stated earlier no Atmos on NF, but I'm not getting any on Amazon either, trying to determine why, on FS it works fine.

App store is a big plus, HD home run is available, as is VLC. Another plus is the remote, small but ergonomic, buttons where I expect them to be. Picture quality is fine, and I may grow to like the integration, but being tied to Sling is questionable.

Have to spend much more time with it to determine it's worth to me. Odds are I'll keep it and trash that POS Chromecast I have, never understood the attraction to having to use a phone or tablet to watch TV. One more thing to add to my obsolete electronics pile.

Last edited by Matt L; 05-11-2020 at 11:06 PM.
post #47 of 82 Old 05-11-2020, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Received one today. Honestly did not expect it to be this raw. The restart time is typically Tivo loooong. Maybe it seems longer because it has to be done so many times during setup and trouble shooting. Also, my remote has to pair repeatedly, sometimes several times over a few minutes and on every reboot. Never had this problem with my OTA Tivo which I love so this is a disappointment. My streameritis only gets worse when sheltering in place.
post #48 of 82 Old 05-12-2020, 12:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is ridiculous - the Tivo keeps turning my AV system and TV on! I've turned everything off 3 times now.
post #49 of 82 Old 05-12-2020, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
This is ridiculous - the Tivo keeps turning my AV system and TV on! I've turned everything off 3 times now.

Check your HDMI CEC settings on all your devices.
post #50 of 82 Old 05-12-2020, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I've had the same problem. No settings I can find to fix it.
post #51 of 82 Old 05-12-2020, 05:23 AM

So just my quick thoughts. I installed and set up last night:
  • There was an immediate update to the box when I connected
  • Outside of the TiVo Stream app, it's totally Android TV - just like what's built into most Sony TVs -- but faster.
  • Yay! TiVo remote. That's $50 right there. Although it is smaller than the regular one.
  • Sling only integration on the TiVo Stream app is annoying. It's an AndroidTV..why not YTTV also?
  • Having HBO NOW but not HBO GO on the TiVo stream app is also dumb.
  • Not having a iOS app to type is annoying. I guess it works with Android (but then again AppleTV only works with AppleTV, right?
  • Not sure what the deal is with ARC. Sound bar works fine and comes on/off when I hit the power button, but after everything is off, it comes back on 3-5 minutes later like a ghost. That is a killer for me if it can't be fixed. No one wants it left on if you're not using it, especially the TV.

My feeling is there's a reason they are selling at a discount now...it's late beta in my opinion. If you like android TV and/or like TiVo...and you have SlingTV...this is a nice $50 stick. If you use anything else, it might be worth getting now and waiting for updates.
post #52 of 82 Old 05-12-2020, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Scorcho View Post
So just my quick thoughts. I installed and set up last night:
  • There was an immediate update to the box when I connected
  • Outside of the TiVo Stream app, it's totally Android TV - just like what's built into most Sony TVs -- but faster.
  • Yay! TiVo remote. That's $50 right there. Although it is smaller than the regular one.
  • Sling only integration on the TiVo Stream app is annoying. It's an AndroidTV..why not YTTV also?
  • Having HBO NOW but not HBO GO on the TiVo stream app is also dumb.
  • Not having a iOS app to type is annoying. I guess it works with Android (but then again AppleTV only works with AppleTV, right?
  • Not sure what the deal is with ARC. Sound bar works fine and comes on/off when I hit the power button, but after everything is off, it comes back on 3-5 minutes later like a ghost. That is a killer for me if it can't be fixed. No one wants it left on if you're not using it, especially the TV.

My feeling is there's a reason they are selling at a discount now...it's late beta in my opinion. If you like android TV and/or like TiVo...and you have SlingTV...this is a nice $50 stick. If you use anything else, it might be worth getting now and waiting for updates.
Yes, from what’s being reported in this thread, it sounds rather disappointing. For those interested in new Android TV hardware, you might be on the lookout for this: https://9to5google.com/2020/03/10/ex...ra-android-tv/
post #53 of 82 Old 05-12-2020, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Contacted Tivo, they told me to turn off Cec. Not happening. tried to bringing up other issues and support person disconnected after I told her no to turning off Cec. Bah.
El_Scorcho likes this.
post #54 of 82 Old 05-12-2020, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Played with it some more. had to dig deep to enable Atmos. Had to go to "More" at the bottom of the Android Settings and then Audio, set that to manual, then enable all the various formats my AVR supports.
post #55 of 82 Old 05-12-2020, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 139
used to be a huge tivo fan and was slightly interested in this but it sounds like a dud
post #56 of 82 Old 05-12-2020, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by icespide View Post
used to be a huge tivo fan and was slightly interested in this but it sounds like a dud
It's a 50 dollar streamer, it's not a Roku Ultra, Nvida Shield, or an Apple TV. People want more than 50 dollar performance not happening. You get what you pay for. A number of people also have no idea how Sling TV works on the device. NOTE: This mostly refers to people outside of AVS, here people seem to be a little more tech savy.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."

Last edited by tenthplanet; 05-12-2020 at 08:39 PM.
post #57 of 82 Old 05-13-2020, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
It's a 50 dollar streamer, it's not a Roku Ultra, Nvida Shield, or an Apple TV. People want more than 50 dollar performance not happening. You get what you pay for. A number of people also have no idea how Sling TV works on the device. NOTE: This mostly refers to people outside of AVS, here people seem to be a little more tech savy.
For an Android TV device, it is disappointing because most Android TV devices are in this price range and works better out of box. Shield is overpriced , IMO, for what it is capable of.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #58 of 82 Old 05-13-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
For an Android TV device, it is disappointing because most Android TV devices are in this price range and works better out of box. Shield is overpriced , IMO, for what it is capable of.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Yep.

X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
post #59 of 82 Old 05-13-2020, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 4300
New device/software rushed to market..that must be Windows 1..Oh wait. Streaming devices are little computers, you never, never should be an early adopter. You know there will be bugs. The same rules as a PC. Some of the same issues/complaints on the Tivo Stream apply to the AT&T (Android TV) Osprey Box.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #60 of 82 Old 05-13-2020, 05:37 PM

When I reached out to Tivo support, I also got the "turn off CEC" message. That's hilarious.

It seems like it is a known issue though and it's being worked on. It's a disappointment for me, but the fun of early adoption always has bumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page