DVR and Streaming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question DVR and Streaming

I have Xfinity X1 with a DVR. I have used Xfinity/comcast for 15+ years. The cost is getting too high. But we love the DVR. Set it and forget it. The shows we like to watch just show up recorded. They also have Amazon Prime video and Netflix included (we have subscriptions to both). The voice command remote works well too. With this setup we still have to use 3 remotes, X1, TV, BD. We have a second TV box in another room, we can start a show in one room and finish in another. The shows we record are from all over the the dial. ( in Xfinity we use about 50% of the HD channels200* from 702-798) We record all our shows, including sports, so we can skip through the commercials very easily. This is a must. I'm using X1's highest UDH/60fps resolution.

X1 also provides us with 500+mbs downloads, and phone(I use it for faxing still, sorry), I do have 2 fire sticks that we don't really use, since that is part of X1

The bill is well over $200/month. $2,400/yr OUCH!!
I understand that 'cord cutting' can reduce the monthly costs.

Is there a cord cutting scenario that would provide similar results? We do not want to have to remember which services has which shows with which remote. Also not have to remember the long list of shows we like to watch and when they might be on.
Thoughts, suggestions, ideas??

Any input would be helpful.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-08-2020, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 722
If you "cut the cord" on cable tv, most of the time, comcast raises the price of your internet by ~$30ish (or more) for exact same internet speed, as an "internet only" subscriber... so your apples-to-apples comparison of going with "internet only and streaming" vs. "cable + internet" from comcast needs to take into account the additional price increase you'll take for "just internet".

I'm personally a "cord shaver" rather than a "cord cutter". I don't rent (much) comcast hardware. I own almost all of it. This approach is not for everyone; it's a bit DIY-y and maybe for tinkerer's hobbyists, but that's "part of the fun of AVS Forums" IMO.

I am a Comcast subscriber. I have their 220+ channel cable TV package and (I think) their 400 mbps internet package (the fastest they offer in my area).

I own my own modem. No rental.
I own two (older model) HDHomeRun Prime's (each tunes 3 channels per CableCard). I'd only need one if I only wanted the ability to tune 3 channels at a time.
Comcast provides the first CableCard free-of-charge. I pay ~$8-a-month to rent the second cablecard (and the ability to tune 3 more channels at a time).

I run the HDHomeRun Engine on a QNAP TS-431+ NAS, and it lays down DVR recordings (and buffers live TV) on hard drives I have installed in it.
I have 6 NVidia Shields and one Windows 10 machine hooked up to 7 TVs in the house. I own all of that "equipment" and don't pay to rent any cable boxes or "X1 machines" from Comcast. That Windows10 Machine serves double-duty as a Front-End for HDHomeRun View and a back-end server for Plex (my Blu Ray collection is ripped 1:1 in MKV), Roon (my CD collection is ripped 1:1 to FLAC). and Steam. Those Shields are pretty cool little devices that bitstream the lossless audio from my MKV movies to an AVR, and can play back those Steam games either using my PC or NVidia's Cloud computers. And they run all of my "streaming apps" like Netflix, HBO Now (not Go; I don't subscribe via Comcast), Youtube Red, etc, all on one interface.

This is all "just how I do it". There would be cheaper ways, if your end goal is to just save money, you might be able to win out with a streaming-internet-tv package (like Youtube TV or Hulu TV, etc). The only thing to keep in mind is how much more the internet service goes up if you cancel the TV portion of your package... the savings may not be as great as you think. I didn't like Comcast's hardware back when I was renting it, anyway, and I definitely don't miss the monthly hardware rental fees now that I own my own gear...

TIFWIW

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-08-2020, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Don't forget that you also don't have the 'franchise fee' and other fees that only reside on the television side. That often offsets the internet price increase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2020, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone so far with you r replies.

psuKinger - your system seems pretty sophisticated. I understand how it works, but It is a bit above of my knowledge level to implement. I would need more of a turnkey solution.

I currently own my own gateway also, and am getting 560-580mbs downstream on a 500mbs package. So I save on that rental fee. I could save a bit more on the 2nd X1 box if I buy a new smart TV for that room and use X1 streaming service on it. That would bring my bill closer to 200.
Internet fee/phone, $80 for intro price + subscription fees for several services(Prime10?, Netflix $22, CBS all access, 10?+ a couple others I might need, 20?) would cost about how much per month, 140-150?. Then the one time costs of an over the air box/antenna + new smart TV(for 2nd room) + very a smart programmable AIO remote to replace the several I would accumulate = $700-800. R.T.O would occur after the first year or so. Set up would be a major pain and many family complaints over the transition/learning period. And there would be NO DVR.

Any other suggestions out there? more info is always helpful.
Again thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2020, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 3675
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLund1 View Post
Thanks everyone so far with you r replies.

psuKinger - your system seems pretty sophisticated. I understand how it works, but It is a bit above of my knowledge level to implement. I would need more of a turnkey solution.

I currently own my own gateway also, and am getting 560-580mbs downstream on a 500mbs package. So I save on that rental fee. I could save a bit more on the 2nd X1 box if I buy a new smart TV for that room and use X1 streaming service on it. That would bring my bill closer to 200.
Internet fee/phone, $80 for intro price + subscription fees for several services(Prime10?, Netflix $22, CBS all access, 10?+ a couple others I might need, 20?) would cost about how much per month, 140-150?. Then the one time costs of an over the air box/antenna + new smart TV(for 2nd room) + very a smart programmable AIO remote to replace the several I would accumulate = $700-800. R.T.O would occur after the first year or so. Set up would be a major pain and many family complaints over the transition/learning period. And there would be NO DVR.

Any other suggestions out there? more info is always helpful.
Again thanks
Depending on what channels you're looking for there are live streaming services that have cloud dvr's that are not hard to use. You do need a streaming device but they don't have to be expensive, Roku's start at reasonable prices. If you don't need sports or news networks Philo is worth looking at..it's 20 bucks a month. If you need news and sports look at Hulu live or You Tube Live Tv they do cost more than Philo. All three of these services look to be stable and will stick around for awhile. Hulu Live and You Tube Live also have local channels, if they have yours you won't have to deal with over the air and antennae headaches.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2020, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional info. More to pondering to do...
If I have more questions I know where to find them now.
KL
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2020, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Not mean to hijack OP thread as I was planning to open a new thread but found this.
My parents have been Comcrap's clients for almost 30 years.
Their billing hit over $200/month for the triple-play package they have.
I've tried to get them off that package, especially the home phone but they hesitate because they're afraid w/o the home phone, they can't connect to 911 (Mom often needs it) due to language barrier.
Is there any solution for that?
They have their cellphone though.
Does 911-operator know where they are (I meant their home address) if they call using a cellphone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page