Tv anywhere-firestick - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-09-2020, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tv anywhere-firestick

My goal is to have 3 tvs in my mancave. Im trying to avoid paying for a cable box subscription on all 3. I will have one tv with a paid cable box. Can I then on other 2 tvs have them be connected to an amazon firestick in which i download say espn.then basically using the tv anywhere credentials access espn on these 2 tvs? Would this work? Also with apple tv for espn app which i believe is free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-09-2020, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjells View Post
My goal is to have 3 tvs in my mancave. Im trying to avoid paying for a cable box subscription on all 3. I will have one tv with a paid cable box. Can I then on other 2 tvs have them be connected to an amazon firestick in which i download say espn.then basically using the tv anywhere credentials access espn on these 2 tvs? Would this work? Also with apple tv for espn app which i believe is free.
It will work on ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, and perhaps some others. Will not get you programs from ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC. If your cable provider is Spectrum you can use a Spectrum app on a Roku device for all of your Spectrum channels. I don't think the Spectrum app is available for an Amazon Fire Stick at this time.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-10-2020, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
It will work on ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, and perhaps some others. Will not get you programs from ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC. If your cable provider is Spectrum you can use a Spectrum app on a Roku device for all of your Spectrum channels. I don't think the Spectrum app is available for an Amazon Fire Stick at this time.
My cable program is Verizon Fios. I think on the firestick it allows you to stream whats on your phone right? so i guess if there was a football game say on CBS i could play it on my fios app on phone but stream it through the firestick?

Also in regards to Apple. The ESPN app is free on there I believe? I like the apple feature with regards to having the multicast option where you can stream 4 games at once in quadrants. I guess that would be another option but I guess if I went Apple over the firestick then I would only be getting the ESPN channels free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-10-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My cable program is Verizon Fios. I think on the firestick it allows you to stream whats on your phone right? so i guess if there was a football game say on CBS i could play it on my fios app on phone but stream it through the firestick?

Also in regards to Apple. The ESPN app is free on there I believe? I like the apple feature with regards to having the multicast option where you can stream 4 games at once in quadrants. I guess that would be another option but I guess if I went Apple over the firestick then I would only be getting the ESPN channels free
Streaming what is on your phone to a fire stick depends on the phone. I believe android phones work but google pixel phones do not. As long as you sign in with your provider the NBC Sports, ESPN, and Fox Sports apps all work with a fire stick and are free. There is also a CBS sports app but I am not sure you can stream games with it.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-10-2020, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
Streaming what is on your phone to a fire stick depends on the phone. I believe android phones work but google pixel phones do not. As long as you sign in with your provider the NBC Sports, ESPN, and Fox Sports apps all work with a fire stick and are free. There is also a CBS sports app but I am not sure you can stream games with it.
I just checked. You can sign in with your provider and watch games on the CBS sports app just like Fox Sports and NBC Sports.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-10-2020, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
FWIW, I have 3 TVs mounted on one wall in my basement, and a fourth (small) one on the other side of the room, on the counter next to the fridge. I run all 3 "sources" through HDMI repeaters, and then from the repeater I run them to the TV and one Receiver in parallel. Then I change the audio for which game is playing through my speakers by changing the input on the receiver, while the video keeps on playing on all 3, unaffected.

Have you looked into/considered CableCard? Full cable package on every tv... independently controllable, and no (or minimal) hardware rental... I use the HDHomeRun View software (with HDHomeRun Prime hardware) and prefer NVidia Shields as endpoint devices, but theres all kinds of hardware+software solutions out there that can grab a tuned signal on your network and display it on a TV.

With comcast the first cablecard is "free". I pay $8 a month for the second one, because I want access to 6 tuners (3-tuners each on the older models of HDHomeRun Prime's I own). That's my only hardware rental fee...

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.

Last edited by psuKinger; 01-10-2020 at 09:25 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked: 1888
Quote:
if you are anywhere near a big city grab an antenna (or 2) and supplement the fire stick with ota.. i do this on a bedroom set .. it keeps me pretty happy..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 673
If you have Dishnetwork as a provider, they offer a Dish anywhere app. You basically can access your Dish receiver on your computer or phone with full use of all functions. I have not tried it, but the Fire TV has a built in browser, so you may be able to use it. If not, you can hook an old computer or laptop to those TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page