Can you split a cat6 cable and connectivity quesiton? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 3 Post By David Ortiz
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2
  • 1 Post By Cheddarhead
  • 1 Post By Cheddarhead
  • 1 Post By liffie420
  • 1 Post By Foxbat121
  • 1 Post By kjfalls
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2

post #1 of 17 Old 01-12-2020, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Can you split a cat6 cable and connectivity quesiton?

I have fiberoptic internet and my router is in my computer room. My living room where my Oled is also has a PS4. From my router I have a Cat 6 cable (I think its cat 6) ran from the router to the living room OLED. It was a GIGANTIC pain in the ass routing that cable. I recently got back into online gaming and so I am using that one direct connection on my PS4 now and am using WiFi for streaming on the LG OLED.

Well now streaming quality is suffering and want a direct internet connection on both the OLED and the PS4. Is it possible to just split the one cable with some kind of splitter so I don't have to run another line? Thanks a lot.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
I have fiberoptic internet and my router is in my computer room. My living room where my Oled is also has a PS4. From my router I have a Cat 6 cable (I think its cat 6) ran from the router to the living room OLED. It was a GIGANTIC pain in the ass routing that cable. I recently got back into online gaming and so I am using that one direct connection on my PS4 now and am using WiFi for streaming on the LG OLED.

Well now streaming quality is suffering and want a direct internet connection on both the OLED and the PS4. Is it possible to just split the one cable with some kind of splitter so I don't have to run another line? Thanks a lot.
Just use a network switch.
Reddig, ipca204 and Cheddarhead like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-12-2020, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Yes, you're looking for an ethernet switch. I've had good results with TP-Link: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-SG...000N99BBC?th=1
Reddig likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-12-2020, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
Just use a network switch.
Thanks for chiming in. Cool I will do a search for some.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
post #5 of 17 Old 01-12-2020, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Yes, you're looking for an ethernet switch. I've had good results with TP-Link: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-SG...000N99BBC?th=1
Excellent thank you very much. Im gunna order that one.

post #6 of 17 Old 01-12-2020, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Not trying to make it more complicated for you, but trying to get ahead of the "game."

You didn't say how much bandwidth u paying for.

If for example you are paying for 100 mbit down, a 4K streaming takes ~30 mbit, and you got 70 mbit left over for your gaming, that's more than enough. But if you just bought 60 mbit and ISP always "skims from the top" and u end up with real speed of 45 mbit, that may not be enough to do both things simultaneously.

Actually when it comes to gaming, upload speed becomes important, because of gaming's interactivity. I say 3 mbit upload should be enough.

Is nice to have active bandwidth management in an household so nobody can monopolize the bandwidth, and because one can never pay$ enough, but if u have 1 gig download, ignore all these things am telling u.

Last edited by MrBobb; 01-12-2020 at 09:15 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-15-2020, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
Not trying to make it more complicated for you, but trying to get ahead of the "game."

You didn't say how much bandwidth u paying for.

If for example you are paying for 100 mbit down, a 4K streaming takes ~30 mbit, and you got 70 mbit left over for your gaming, that's more than enough. But if you just bought 60 mbit and ISP always "skims from the top" and u end up with real speed of 45 mbit, that may not be enough to do both things simultaneously.

Actually when it comes to gaming, upload speed becomes important, because of gaming's interactivity. I say 3 mbit upload should be enough.

Is nice to have active bandwidth management in an household so nobody can monopolize the bandwidth, and because one can never pay$ enough, but if u have 1 gig download, ignore all these things am telling u.

Thanks. I am paying for 100mb download and 10mb upload. Mine gets skimmed and my real speed is about 69 or 70 when Ive tested it.

Edit: with this speed streaming even 1080p is questionable. Netflix drops out a lot and Hulu will say can't open sometimes. YouTube drops to lower resolution a lot. With a direct connection my streaming has none of these problems.

Last edited by Reddig; 01-15-2020 at 01:04 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-15-2020, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Well I took delivery this morning of this and I can't get it to send signal. Ive spent an hour on the phone with them too and they say it should be working lol. Im stumped as its an extremely easy product to use and the lights light up green like they should but it will not connect. Both my LG OLED and PS4 wont connect to it. If I unhook the switcher and use my original hard line coming from the router i instantly get a connection on either the tv or game system.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-15-2020, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Well I took delivery this morning of this and I can't get it to send signal. Ive spent an hour on the phone with them too and they say it should be working lol. Im stumped as its an extremely easy product to use and the lights light up green like they should but it will not connect. Both my LG OLED and PS4 wont connect to it. If I unhook the switcher and use my original hard line coming from the router i instantly get a connection on either the tv or game system.

It's possible that both devices have the same IP address on their physical ethernet port.
1) Connect only the TV through the switch
- If this works, then the switch is good, if not the switch may be bad
2) Connect only the PS4 through the switch
- This is to validate both devices can communicate through the switch, if both devices fail you probably have a bad switch
3) Connect both devices through the switch and do a hard reboot of both devices
- This should force a DHCP request for a new IP address
4) You could attempt to assign IP addresses manually
- Google how to do this for your devices

It's also possible that the patch cables you are using from the switch to your devices are defective, try some new ones.
Reddig likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4

Last edited by Cheddarhead; 01-15-2020 at 01:14 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-15-2020, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
It's possible that both devices have the same IP address on their physical ethernet port.
1) Connect only the TV through the switch
- If this works, then the switch is good, if not the switch may be bad
2) Connect only the PS4 through the switch
- This is to validate both devices can communicate through the switch, if both devices fail you probably have a bad switch
3) Connect both devices through the switch and do a hard reboot of both devices
- This should force a DHCP request for a new IP address
4) You could attempt to assign IP addresses manually
- Google how to do this for your devices

It's also possible that the patch cables you are using from the switch to your devices are defective, try some new ones.
Thanks for the tips. I did 1, and it wouldn't send a signal with just the television hooked up. Oddly the lights are green and blinking fast as it denotes that it should when properly working. I had just bought the network cables at walmart. The are Cat 6. I will try some new cables just in case thats it.

post #11 of 17 Old 01-15-2020, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I did 1, and it wouldn't send a signal with just the television hooked up. Oddly the lights are green and blinking fast as it denotes that it should when properly working. I had just bought the network cables at walmart. The are Cat 6. I will try some new cables just in case thats it.
Some TVs need you to disable wireless in order for the hardwired connection to work. Might try checking this.

Also just for giggles try only the PS4 and see what happens.
Reddig likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #12 of 17 Old 01-15-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Sounds like a bad switch, however as someone mentioned you might need to go into the network setting on your TV and tell it to use wired. I have a 2019 Vizio P series and I went from wireless to wired and it just picked it up automatically. I haven't used that TP link I am using this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...?skuId=6040713 that I picked up at my local best buy and it was plug and play no setup needed. One other thing you might read the book on the one you have sometimes they may want the run from your router to the switch plugged into a specific port on the device.
Reddig likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-15-2020, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Some TVs need you to disable wireless in order for the hardwired connection to work. Might try checking this.

Also just for giggles try only the PS4 and see what happens.
Thanks yes I did that with the Ps4 too. The tv has no problem connecting with a hardline from my router. After I tried the switcher I went back connected the direct connection and it gets internet instantly. Same with the PS4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Sounds like a bad switch, however as someone mentioned you might need to go into the network setting on your TV and tell it to use wired. I have a 2019 Vizio P series and I went from wireless to wired and it just picked it up automatically. I haven't used that TP link I am using this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...?skuId=6040713 that I picked up at my local best buy and it was plug and play no setup needed. One other thing you might read the book on the one you have sometimes they may want the run from your router to the switch plugged into a specific port on the device.
Thanks yes as I said if i put the original wired connection back into the tv it instantly connects to the wired internet connection.

post #14 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Looks like you got a defective switch. A network switch is extremely easy to use. No networking knowledge needed. Just plug-n-play. Unfortunately, TP-Link is not a brand for reliability (I had some bad switches from it in the past).
Reddig likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Everything under Gigabit uses four wires 1, 2, 3, and 6. So unless you use Gigabit you could split the connections using wires 1, 2, 3, and 6 for one connection and 4, 5, 7, 8 for the other at each end of the cable. The net switch is a much better idea.
Reddig likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Looks like you got a defective switch. A network switch is extremely easy to use. No networking knowledge needed. Just plug-n-play. Unfortunately, TP-Link is not a brand for reliability (I had some bad switches from it in the past).
Right! Its very very simple. Ya dang it.

post #17 of 17 Old 01-16-2020, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Right! Its very very simple. Ya dang it.
That's unfortunate, but every manufacturer will have some percentage of failures in their product lines.

I haven't used Netgear in years but they were solid products when I did. Linksys (now owned by Cisco I believe) is another brand to look at.

As others have noted there's nothing to a switch, just plug everything in, power it up and go. Easy-peasy.
Reddig likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page