AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Connecting an Android box to an older AV Receiver via SPDIF Coaxial (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3115932-connecting-android-box-older-av-receiver-via-spdif-coaxial.html)

inefekt 01-13-2020 03:29 AM

Connecting an Android box to an older AV Receiver via SPDIF Coaxial

I've recently purchased an MX10 Pro Android media player. It has a digital coaxial SPDIF output but I can only get it to output in stereo, not 5.1 surround sound. The receiver doesn't have HDMI, it's about 15 years old. At the moment I have a digital coaxial cable attached to a 3.5mm mono adapter. Yeah I know, it says mono but I have read in a couple of other forums that this adapter would do the trick but it doesn't, I only get stereo. I've also read conficting information on using 3.5mm inputs with two bands vs three bands.
If anyone has had success in connecting their AV receiver to one of these types of boxes (there are many, many similar branded ones out there) and getting surround sound I'd really appreciate knowing what cable you used.

Thanks! :)

HDMI Guy 01-13-2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inefekt (Post 59091268)
I've recently purchased an MX10 Pro Android media player. It has a digital coaxial SPDIF output but I can only get it to output in stereo, not 5.1 surround sound. The receiver doesn't have HDMI, it's about 15 years old. At the moment I have a digital coaxial cable attached to a 3.5mm mono adapter. Yeah I know, it says mono but I have read in a couple of other forums that this adapter would do the trick but it doesn't, I only get stereo. I've also read conficting information on using 3.5mm inputs with two bands vs three bands.
If anyone has had success in connecting their AV receiver to one of these types of boxes (there are many, many similar branded ones out there) and getting surround sound I'd really appreciate knowing what cable you used.

Thanks! :)

What inputs are available on the receiver. We need more information.

Worf 01-14-2020 12:12 AM

If you're getting stereo from a mono plug, the digital connection is working just fine.

The thing is that you can only get 2 channel PCM or 5.1 using dolby digital or DTS. Almost nothing will encode 5.1 to either of those formats (other than a hardware encoder on game consoles or a special driver for some sound cards).

Check your player and make sure the output is set to bitstream and not PCM - this will enable bitstreaming output which will let you get dolby digital or DTS out the port. Then to get it you need to have content with Dolby digital or DTS audio. If you don't,the best you get will be stereo.

inefekt 01-14-2020 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDMI Guy (Post 59096490)
What inputs are available on the receiver. We need more information.

Only digital inputs on my receiver are coaxial and optical. The player only has 3.5mm coaxial output.

inefekt 01-14-2020 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf (Post 59096714)
If you're getting stereo from a mono plug, the digital connection is working just fine.

The thing is that you can only get 2 channel PCM or 5.1 using dolby digital or DTS. Almost nothing will encode 5.1 to either of those formats (other than a hardware encoder on game consoles or a special driver for some sound cards).

Check your player and make sure the output is set to bitstream and not PCM - this will enable bitstreaming output which will let you get dolby digital or DTS out the port. Then to get it you need to have content with Dolby digital or DTS audio. If you don't,the best you get will be stereo.

There is no option to output PCM or bitstream, only options are auto, no surround sound and manually choose (this option does nothing). There are other options to choose SPDIF, HDMI or Audio Codec. There's another to enable passthrough. I have tried every possible combination of options. My other non 4K player, which has optical, clearly outputs surround sound. I have played the same scene from a particular movie on both players, I hear distinct surround sound effects on the old player, none on the MX10. There is sound coming from the surround speakers but it's just the front sounds being replicated. I think I might just buy another player with optical output and save myself further hassle.