Connecting an Android box to an older AV Receiver via SPDIF Coaxial - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Connecting an Android box to an older AV Receiver via SPDIF Coaxial

I've recently purchased an MX10 Pro Android media player. It has a digital coaxial SPDIF output but I can only get it to output in stereo, not 5.1 surround sound. The receiver doesn't have HDMI, it's about 15 years old. At the moment I have a digital coaxial cable attached to a 3.5mm mono adapter. Yeah I know, it says mono but I have read in a couple of other forums that this adapter would do the trick but it doesn't, I only get stereo. I've also read conficting information on using 3.5mm inputs with two bands vs three bands.
If anyone has had success in connecting their AV receiver to one of these types of boxes (there are many, many similar branded ones out there) and getting surround sound I'd really appreciate knowing what cable you used.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post
I've recently purchased an MX10 Pro Android media player. It has a digital coaxial SPDIF output but I can only get it to output in stereo, not 5.1 surround sound. The receiver doesn't have HDMI, it's about 15 years old. At the moment I have a digital coaxial cable attached to a 3.5mm mono adapter. Yeah I know, it says mono but I have read in a couple of other forums that this adapter would do the trick but it doesn't, I only get stereo. I've also read conficting information on using 3.5mm inputs with two bands vs three bands.
If anyone has had success in connecting their AV receiver to one of these types of boxes (there are many, many similar branded ones out there) and getting surround sound I'd really appreciate knowing what cable you used.

Thanks!
What inputs are available on the receiver. We need more information.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-14-2020, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 601
If you're getting stereo from a mono plug, the digital connection is working just fine.

The thing is that you can only get 2 channel PCM or 5.1 using dolby digital or DTS. Almost nothing will encode 5.1 to either of those formats (other than a hardware encoder on game consoles or a special driver for some sound cards).

Check your player and make sure the output is set to bitstream and not PCM - this will enable bitstreaming output which will let you get dolby digital or DTS out the port. Then to get it you need to have content with Dolby digital or DTS audio. If you don't,the best you get will be stereo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-14-2020, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
What inputs are available on the receiver. We need more information.
Only digital inputs on my receiver are coaxial and optical. The player only has 3.5mm coaxial output.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-14-2020, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
If you're getting stereo from a mono plug, the digital connection is working just fine.

The thing is that you can only get 2 channel PCM or 5.1 using dolby digital or DTS. Almost nothing will encode 5.1 to either of those formats (other than a hardware encoder on game consoles or a special driver for some sound cards).

Check your player and make sure the output is set to bitstream and not PCM - this will enable bitstreaming output which will let you get dolby digital or DTS out the port. Then to get it you need to have content with Dolby digital or DTS audio. If you don't,the best you get will be stereo.
There is no option to output PCM or bitstream, only options are auto, no surround sound and manually choose (this option does nothing). There are other options to choose SPDIF, HDMI or Audio Codec. There's another to enable passthrough. I have tried every possible combination of options. My other non 4K player, which has optical, clearly outputs surround sound. I have played the same scene from a particular movie on both players, I hear distinct surround sound effects on the old player, none on the MX10. There is sound coming from the surround speakers but it's just the front sounds being replicated. I think I might just buy another player with optical output and save myself further hassle.

Last edited by inefekt; 01-14-2020 at 06:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page