Just updated to Windows 10 from 7...Question Re HDDs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Just updated to Windows 10 from 7...Question Re HDDs

Well, I hope this does not blow up in my face...and take my home with me.

I have used flexraid for 6 years to pool my 20TB‘s of media. It’s really been flawless for me, but I understand it is basically, well, not supported now...at all.

So then, knowing I will need another solution now or in the near future, I figured now would be the time to go to Win 10- on the last day of THEIR support for Win 7, haha.

Anyway, I have read a lot of suggestions and it seems drivepool and snapraid appear like a popular/solid combo and would help someone like me who is- generall— hopeless when it comes to this stuff.

CRUCIALLY, I had at least three people tell me to NOT touch my HDD’s or uninstall flexraid.

They insisted to simply upgrade to Win 10 and the drives will be completely compatible/reusable with the aforementioned methodology. Now though, I’m getting cold feet, waiting for Win 10 to finish installing.

Please tell me I did not make a horrendous mistake and I’m not going to lose ~ 500 uncompressed BD rips/17 TB’s of data! my concern is that Flexraid has “done its thing” with these files and I/drivepool/snapraid/whatever won’t have anything to work with now.

Thanks so much...I think...gulp.
James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Not sure how your raid array is set up, but changing the OS shouldn't cause you to lose your files, especially if the OS is on a different drive than all of that data.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
Not sure how your raid array is set up, but changing the OS shouldn't cause you to lose your files, especially if the OS is on a different drive than all of that data.
Thanks- you will fast learn how green I am at all this, even after years of doing it, lol.

I guess I don’t think my files will be “lost” per se, but that Flexraid configured/sorted them in a way that will now be unusable.

In a “dream” scenario, I hope Win 10 just installs, and flexraid continues to work until I migrate to a new solution, but it appears there’s no hope for that happening- acording to what I’ve read thus far, anyway.

Thanks
James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Win 10 starts...and I do not “see” any of the 5 (4) TB HDD’s anywhere.

Oh boy.

James

post #5 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I DO see them in the device manager and under “events” they appear as “migrated” on 1/14/20.

I don’t of course know how to make them accessible though in the “my computer” area, though.

James

post #6 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5713 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
I DO see them in the device manager and under “events” they appear as “migrated” on 1/14/20.

I don’t of course know how to make them accessible though in the “my computer” area, though.

James
I've never used flexraid. And I really don't understand why people dont just use the built in tools windows already has for raid (dynamic disk and spanned volumes etc). But the data on your flexraid disks are still there. The problem is that the file system is not recognized by windows. I assume flexraid is an app. You'll need to run the app and rebuild the array. Don't make any changes other than that. It probably takes several days, but it should rebuild. If the app won't run on windows 10 you're probably screwed. You could always uninstall windows 10 and boot windows 7 again and copy the files you need off onto new drives.

Also, if you read up here: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/8698...from-flexraid/ it seems that flexraid drives each have their own file system. Although I'm not sure what file system that is. It may be possible to mount each drive individually and copy the files you need off one drive at a time. That may fail when single files span multiple volumes.

I think if this were me, I'd run the windows 10 uninstall and go back to windows 7 and get access to your drives. Then I'd figure out how to migrate to a raid system that's current and supported before updating again to windows 10. Preferably dump the third party stuff and use what windows already provides.

Also, I hate raid. I've found that as drives age, when one dies, its often the case that another drive in the array has some small errors and the array becomes impossible to rebuild. I've been screwed by 5-drive raid5 twice with 4 data drives and 1 parity drive. I now run full mirroring via a separate PC that gets daily drive mirrors of the main system via robocopy. Drives are cheap enough I buy them in pairs. Raid won't help you if your problem is file system corruption. (The files are still there but cant be located due to problems in the file system tables). Also won't help in case of accidental deletion or ransom ware encryption. My backup solution handles all that.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:

I don’️t of course know how to make them accessible though in the “my computer” area, though.

James
I've never used flexraid. And I really don't understand why people dont just use the built in tools windows already has for raid (dynamic disk and spanned volumes etc). But the data on your flexraid disks are still there. The problem is that the file system is not recognized by windows. I assume flexraid is an app. You'll need to run the app and rebuild the array. Don't make any changes other than that. It probably takes several days, but it should rebuild. If the app won't run on windows 10 you're probably screwed. You could always uninstall windows 10 and boot windows 7 again and copy the files you need off onto new drives.

Also, if you read up here: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/8698...from-flexraid/ it seems that flexraid drives each have their own file system. Although I'm not sure what file system that is. It may be possible to mount each drive individually and copy the files you need off one drive at a time. That may fail when single files span multiple volumes.

I think if this were me, I'd run the windows 10 uninstall and go back to windows 7 and get access to your drives. Then I'd figure out how to migrate to a raid system that's current and supported before updating again to windows 10. Preferably dump the third party stuff and use what windows already provides.

Also, I hate raid. I've found that as drives age, when one dies, its often the case that another drive in the array has some small errors and the array becomes impossible to rebuild. I've been screwed by 5-drive raid5 twice with 4 data drives and 1 parity drive. I now run full mirroring via a separate PC that gets daily drive mirrors of the main system via robocopy. Drives are cheap enough I buy them in pairs. Raid won't help you if your problem is file system corruption. (The files are still there but cant be located due to problems in the file system tables). Also won't help in case of accidental deletion or ransom ware encryption. My backup solution handles all that.
Thanks for all the info- even if it’s not all good news.

As I have said- this really is well out of my bounds.

I went with Flexraid years back because people/I convinced me that it was the best “all in one” solution that gave me: back up, pooling and the flexibility of adding/subtracting disks. And again, it has worked perfectly for me, which I am grateful for because I doubt I would have been much help to myself, in lieu thereof from its developer.

Truthfully, I am terrified of reverting back to Win 7 and just “hoping it all works”. I am in way over my head at this point. I have never taken the time to really learn this stuff - especially so after my current system has just “worked” for 6 years- and now I just don’t have the time and guidance for it.

I found your opinion on RAID to be interesting, I have never really heard anyone speak ill of it, and - at least from my reading- it seems all-but-standard in the multi-terabyte media centers.

I certainly love simplicity in ANY regard when it comes to this stuff, so I would invite the simplest solution. As I recall, pooling was a big deal because it was important/needed for kodi and plex to have “one” drive to present your collection in a single library. Perhaps I’m wrong or there was/is a better solution, but I thought I had a bunch of people waving flags for flexraid just for that reason.

Sigh.

Thanks
James

post #8 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the info- even if it’s not all good news.

I went with Flexraid years back because people/I convinced me that it was the best “all in one” solution that gave me: back up, pooling and the flexibility of adding/subtracting disks. And again, it has worked perfectly for me, which I am grateful for because I doubt I would have been much help to myself, in lieu thereof from its developer.

Truthfully, I am terrified of reverting back to Win 7 and just “hoping it all works”. I am in way over my head at this point. I have never taken the time to really learn this stuff - especially so after my current system has just “worked” for 6 years- and now I just don’t have the time and guidance for it.

I found your opinion on RAID to be interesting, I have never really heard anyone speak ill of it, and - at least from my reading- it seems all-but-standard in the multi-terabyte media centers.

I certainly love simplicity in ANY regard when it comes to this stuff, so I would invite the simplest solution. As I recall, pooling was a big deal because it was important/needed for kodi and plex to have “one” drive to present your collection in a single library. Perhaps I’m wrong or there was/is a better solution, but I thought I had a bunch of people waving flags for flexraid just for that reason.

Sigh.

Thanks
James
Kodi and plex - neither need a library in a single folder. My movies folders are:
n:\movies
m:\movies
n:\4K Movies
d:\

My TV library is
v:\tv
g:\archivedtv

It doesn't care. They take multiple folders and flatten them to your library. You can add/remove more folders at any time.

Anyways, short of uninstalling windows 10, I'm not sure what your option is at this point to get your data back. Supposedly, the windows 10 uninstaller is suppose to restore your PC to its previous state. Never used it.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for all the info- even if it’️s not all good news.

Truthfully, I am terrified of reverting back to Win 7 and just “hoping it all works”. I am in way over my head at this point. I have never taken the time to really learn this stuff - especially so after my current system has just “worked” for 6 years- and now I just don’️t have the time and guidance for it.

I certainly love simplicity in ANY regard when it comes to this stuff, so I would invite the simplest solution. As I recall, pooling was a big deal because it was important/needed for kodi and plex to have “one” drive to present your collection in a single library. Perhaps I’️m wrong or there was/is a better solution, but I thought I had a bunch of people waving flags for flexraid just for that reason.

Sigh.

Thanks
James
Kodi and plex - neither need a library in a single folder. My movies folders are:
n:\movies
m:\movies
n:\4K Movies
d:\

My TV library is
v:\tv
g:\archivedtv

It doesn't care. They take multiple folders and flatten them to your library. You can add/remove more folders at any time.

Anyways, short of uninstalling windows 10, I'm not sure what your option is at this point to get your data back. Supposedly, the windows 10 uninstaller is suppose to restore your PC to its previous state. Never used it.
Got it, don’t know if that was the case with kodi 7 years ago...else why would I (or anyone else doing this for movies/kodi for that matter) have ever cared about pooling? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

At this point- since I’m not a digital hoarder- if plex can pull from multiple hdds and just consolidate it all, I would just pickup a few more hdds and just duplicate the existing hdds onto some back ups I could just keep uninstalled, right?

4K changes things with the file sizes, but it’s hard to see me going over 30TBs anytime soon- especially after I go back and delete 40-50 movies from my “hoarder days” that will likely never be watched again.

If this is plausible, then I would just love to be able to “save” the current 17TBs and start over with a new, simplified, system.

Thanks
James

post #10 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got it, don’t know if that was the case with kodi 7 years ago...else why would I (or anyone else doing this for movies/kodi for that matter) have ever cared about pooling? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

At this point- since I’m not a digital hoarder- if plex can pull from multiple hdds and just consolidate it all, I would just pickup a few more hdds and just duplicate the existing hdds onto some back ups I could just keep uninstalled, right?

4K changes things with the file sizes, but it’s hard to see me going over 30TBs anytime soon- especially after I go back and delete 40-50 movies from my “hoarder days” that will likely never be watched again.

If this is plausible, then I would just love to be able to “save” the current 17TBs and start over with a new, simplified, system.

Thanks
James
Kodi flattened multiple folders into libraries even back in the days when it was still called XBMC and ran on the original XBOX 1. Plex came from the Kodi code base so it also has always done this. I honestly have no idea why people thought they needed raid systems for the storage.

You can get a 16tb HDD from amazon for $399. This might be good enough to hook up your raid setup in a windows 7 box somewhere and copy off all the files you want onto it then you could format each drive out and use them separately after.

post #11 of 14 Old 01-14-2020, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I have zero knowledge on Flexraid. Had to migrate to Windows 10 on a laptop this past weekend and ran into issues with an older software. Is it possible to set the FR program to run on a previous version of Windows?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #12 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Good morning folks:

^ That would be my hope. An item that I see as problematic (that I could very-well be wrong about):

Flexraid is no more. The site does not even exist. So I wouldn't even know where to get the app to install it in another CPU to access these HDDs. If I revert my own PC to 7 is it still "there" and operable? I have no idea.

I have a feeling that I could have just "stopped" running Flexraid on Win 7 before the change and this would have been MUCH easier. Should have just snooped around more, I guess.

BTW: I DO also see the (5) disks in disk manager and they appear normal to me: (4) are listed as NTSF and "simple", near capacity, and the 5th is labeled as "parity".

I was thinking: there's no way I can get another (new) HDD and somehow copy the 4th drive to it, then the 3rd to the 4th, and so on? Probably not, right as the files are "spread out" over all four disks (which is creating the main issue)?

I guess I can try reverting to 7 and seeing what comes of it. I sure hope it works...and I can install 10 again...for free.

Thanks
James

post #13 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Truthfully, what I should do is ship this devil-box to someone who knows what they're doing before I do more damage. Sometimes knowing your limits is better than pushing them.

James

Last edited by mastermaybe; 01-15-2020 at 07:32 AM.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-15-2020, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A long-distance buddy was able to log-in, work his magic, and get flexraid running again on windows 10. With it now being effectively obsolete, I feel like i will have to look for another methodology at some point, but this was a life-saver right now!

EDIT: BTW: he mentioned that flexraid operates outside of the file system, so just one can just assign a drive letter and the data is accessible.

You know, JUST what i have sayin all along!

James

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page