post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2020, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Streaming question

Hi guys,

I'm a noob when it comes to streaming but I have a question. I've heard of people buying Chromecast devices to stream music services via their HT or stereo systems but what is the point if my TV has these apps as well?

My Samsung TV has the Spotify app. I'm connected via HDMI and using ARC I'm listening to music via my HT system. So what benefit would I get by buying another device like a Chromecast for streaming services like Spotify or Tidal etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-15-2020, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Assuming your TV is compatible with the services and bitrates you desire then there is no sonic benefit to using a separate streaming device. The UI might be easier to use and other secondary features might be better etc.

However it might be the case that your TV is not compatible with every streaming service or some of the hi-res tiers they offer.

Source: Gaming/HT PC, i7 3770K, 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz, 2x GTX 980Ti SLI, MPC-HCx64 w/ MadVR & SVP frame interpolation
Display: Panasonic VT30 55" Plasma ::: Receiver: Denon AVR-1910
5.1 Speakers: Behringer B215XLs
Subwoofers: 4x SI HT18 D4 - iNuke NU4-6000 w/ silent-fans (1 driver per channel at 2ohm)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-15-2020, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Mire View Post
Hi guys,

I'm a noob when it comes to streaming but I have a question. I've heard of people buying Chromecast devices to stream music services via their HT or stereo systems but what is the point if my TV has these apps as well?

My Samsung TV has the Spotify app. I'm connected via HDMI and using ARC I'm listening to music via my HT system. So what benefit would I get by buying another device like a Chromecast for streaming services like Spotify or Tidal etc?

You would get the ability to use voice control from a Google assistant device like a Google home speaker, or something like a JBL Link View smart display. Spotify is supported by the Google Home app as a default music service, but Tidal has to be manually cast without voice, but once it's playing, you can pause and skip, but not search with voice.
In my case, my HT system is a 5.1 sound bar with Chromecast built in, so I have voice control for casting directly to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2020, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Thanks guys appreciate the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming