Recommend a good box for local network playback? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-24-2020, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Recommend a good box for local network playback?

Hi everyone,

I've had a heck of a time with units & I'll outline what I'm looking for -- and am open to suggestions.

I'm looking for a network streaming device that can access and thumbnail / info scrape on the unit -- and then (of course) playback the MKV files off my NAS.

No need for Netflix, etc.

I don't have 4k media right now, so everything is either 1080p MKV, or 480p.
The only other must-have is that it can output 5.1 audio (DD 5.1 or DTS) via optical, and output TrueHD and MasterAudio via HDMI.
Since the wife uses the unit(s) as well, a remote is pretty vital.

For reference, I loved the Boxee Boxes...back when they worked. I've tried hacking them to get back to function, but it's just not worth it to me at this point; I've had too many problems.

I *do* have a Mede8er unit and it works quite well -- but (along with other units) in the US they seem very rare and hard to track down.
I just 'happened' to find one on Amazon a good number of years back.

I've used PLEX with mixed success. Being an all-in-one server/transcoder is nice...but transcoding & buffering for the various devices in the household has been inconsistent -- with the other main issue being that it requires my bulky PC to be on whenever we want to watch anything.

Ideally the streaming box would handle all of the scraping & playback (like the Boxee Box used to, or Mede8er).

Hope this is too-the-point enough. I've looked at posts, Excel sheets, etc...either the units don't seem to be available in the US, are missing some features, or are defunct at this point.

Ideally I'd like to keep cost & complexity simple and not have to go the full HTPC route or ultra-expensive playback boxes (multiple rooms covered would be nice). Not opposed to a Raspberry Pi, etc if it will work & it's not too horribly difficult to get up and running (have always built PCs, but typically Windows).

Open to suggestions -- and thank you!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-24-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb4467 View Post
Not opposed to a Raspberry Pi, etc if it will work & it's not too horribly difficult to get up and running (have always built PCs, but typically Windows).
The Pi is lacking in HD audio however the ODROID N2 (similar but overall superior ) is perfectly suited for such.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page