AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Dune Smart Series (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3118754-dune-smart-series.html)

pdxrealtor 01-25-2020 02:34 PM

Dune Smart Series

Am I missing anything by not upgrading my Dune Smart Series players? I pass through all audio and video to my AVR which has most, if not all, of the latest tech.

I haven't backed up any UHD BD yet. Been out of the game for a while and the few BD I have backed up have been regular HD titles.

If I can back up my UHD titles and pass the audio and video right through the Dune Smart player I think I should be in good shape, but I"m not sure. :confused::confused:

ipca204 01-30-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor (Post 59153290)
Am I missing anything by not upgrading my Dune Smart Series players? I pass through all audio and video to my AVR which has most, if not all, of the latest tech.

I haven't backed up any UHD BD yet. Been out of the game for a while and the few BD I have backed up have been regular HD titles.

If I can back up my UHD titles and pass the audio and video right through the Dune Smart player I think I should be in good shape, but I"m not sure. :confused::confused:

dune will not do uhd...

pdxrealtor 01-30-2020 05:20 PM

Just the dune smart series Era of players, or, even the new ones?

b curry 02-05-2020 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor (Post 59176898)
Just the dune smart series Era of players, or, even the new ones?

The older Dune using the Sigma chipsets won't work. The Dune Solo and Solo Lite will, which are also Sigma SoC based, will playback 4K but they don't support HDR.

The newer Android OS based Dune players that use the Realtek RTD1295 SoC will playback 4K UHD but they have a problem being able to display the correct frame rate which results in a slight visual "stutter". Some people don't notice it, some do. I think the newer Dune's also have a problem sending HDR metadata correctly.

The DuneHD Pro 4K is probably the most popular of the newer Realtek RTD1295 SoC based units from Dune.

The Zidoo Z9S uses the newer Realtek RTD1296 SoC which is an updated, slightly faster version of the Realtek RTD1295 SoC. FYI Zidoo builds or is the OEM supplier of the DuneHD Pro 4K.

The Zidoo Z9S does playback correct frame rates and sends correct metadata for UHD 4K playback. The Z9S does seem to have some problem with branched menu playback if you're using BDMV folders. These are a few and select titles only though. If you use MKV's, it's not a problem at all.

I would suggest the Z9S over the Dune's that are available now at this time as it has the correct frame rates and metadata for 4K UHD HDR.

The other option is the Nvidia Shield TV Pro. But it's not without it's picayunes as well. There is a thread on the forum and I would leave it up to you to research the issues with that unit.

ipca204 02-05-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b curry (Post 59202534)
The older Dune using the Sigma chipsets won't work. The Dune Solo and Solo Lite will, which are also Sigma SoC based, will playback 4K but they don't support HDR.

The newer Android OS based Dune players that use the Realtek RTD1295 SoC will playback 4K UHD but they have a problem being able to display the correct frame rate which results in a slight visual "stutter". Some people don't notice it, some do. I think the newer Dune's also have a problem sending HDR metadata correctly.

The DuneHD Pro 4K is probably the most popular of the newer Realtek RTD1295 SoC based units from Dune.

The Zidoo Z9S uses the newer Realtek RTD1296 SoC which is an updated, slightly faster version of the Realtek RTD1295 SoC. FYI Zidoo builds or is the OEM supplier of the DuneHD Pro 4K.

The Zidoo Z9S does playback correct frame rates and sends correct metadata for UHD 4K playback. The Z9S does seem to have some problem with branched menu playback if you're using BDMV folders. These are a few and select titles only though. If you use MKV's, it's not a problem at all.

I would suggest the Z9S over the Dune's that are available now at this time as it has the correct frame rates and metadata for 4K UHD HDR.

The other option is the Nvidia Shield TV Pro. But it's not without it's picayunes as well. There is a thread on the forum and I would leave it up to you to research the issues with that unit.

I would suggest a M9702 if playback of blu ray iso and uhd iso is your main priority. Plays everything damn near flawlessly...

b curry 02-05-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipca204 (Post 59202814)
I would suggest a M9702 if playback of blu ray iso and uhd iso is your main priority. Plays everything damn near flawlessly...

Sure.

But it's twice the cost. And it doesn't have the poster wall movie management software that's built into the DuneHD/Zidoo units.

The Zidoo X9S/Z9S is also near flawless.

The advantage the M9702 has from my prospective is its support for Dolby Vision and anamorphic stretch if you need it. But again, it's twice the price.

pdxrealtor 02-05-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b curry (Post 59203508)
Sure.

But it's twice the cost. And it doesn't have the poster wall movie management software that's built into the DuneHD/Zidoo units.

The advantage the M9702 has from my prospective is its support for Dolby Vision and anamorphic stretch if you need it. But again, it's twice the price.

I like the movie wall. I do only .ISO as I like to have the original back up. I found the z9s, what is the x9s?

The z9s seems like the jackpot for under 200 us. Is there a version without wifi? I hard wire everything

ipca204 02-05-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b curry (Post 59203508)
Sure.

unless the zidoo x9s has had massive updates since i had one in December, there i no way it hold a candle to the m9702. I reiterate, if PLAYBACK of files is the most important thing for you the m9702 is simply the best. You want fancy movie walls with subpar playback there are a bunch of players that i would consider. I have had nearly every media playback device since the original Dune launched, so I am not simply talking out my rear...

ipca204 02-05-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor (Post 59203614)
I like the movie wall. I do only .ISO as I like to have the original back up. I found the z9s, what is the x9s?

The z9s seems like the jackpot for under 200 us. Is there a version without wifi? I hard wire everything

i think i still have my z9s, will check when i get home if you are interested..

b curry 02-05-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipca204 (Post 59203670)
unless the zidoo x9s has had massive updates since i had one in December, there i no way it hold a candle to the m9702. I reiterate, if PLAYBACK of files is the most important thing for you the m9702 is simply the best. You want fancy movie walls with subpar playback there are a bunch of players that i would consider. I have had nearly every media playback device since the original Dune launched, so I am not simply talking out my rear...

Well since I own an M9702...

X9S with firmware v2.1.28 - playback of Blu-ray ISO has no discernable difference. UHD Blu-ray MKV container, no discernable difference. HDR metadata is transferred correctly. I'm using both projection and OLED display.

As I said, for me, the advantage of the M9702 is the anamorphic stretch and support for Dolby Vision.

YMMV

b curry 02-05-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor (Post 59203614)

The Z9S replaced the X9S. The X9S has the same Realtek RTD1295 SoC as found in the DuneHD Pro 4K. The Z9S uses the newer Realtek RTD1296 SoC. It's possible to still find the X9S for sale and Zidoo is still supporting it with firmware updates.

For UHD your best container is MKV using the Zidoo.

The Z9S supports both WiFi and Gigabit Lan.

ipca204 02-05-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b curry (Post 59203764)
The Z9S replaced the X9S. The X9S has the same Realtek RTD1295 SoC as found in the DuneHD Pro 4K. The Z9S uses the newer Realtek RTD1296 SoC. It's possible to still find the X9S for sale and Zidoo is still supporting it with firmware updates.

For UHD your best container is MKV using the Zidoo.

The Z9S supports both WiFi and Gigabit Lan.

all of my UHD rips are ISO. Also branching Blu ray ISO titles still stuttered with the zidoo. Are you saying that has been fixed?
Does the zidoo pass atmos with the uhd mkv rips now?

Edit. So i revisited the zidoo thread and it looks like nothing has changed since I had the zidoo. Blu ray ISO playback is not "near flawless" and ISO handling of UHD files still needs some work. Since the person inquiring said he prefers ISO the zidoo is NOT the box for him and he should pony up for the m9702. If I misread something, please let me know. I would love to dust off the x9 and z9 if they do what my 9702 does..

pdxrealtor 02-05-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipca204 (Post 59203852)
all of my UHD rips are ISO. Also branching Blu ray ISO titles still stuttered with the zidoo. Are you saying that has been fixed?

Edit. So i revisited the zidoo thread and it looks like nothing has changed since I had the zidoo. Blu ray ISO playback is not "near flawless" and ISO handling of UHD files still needs some work. Since the person inquiring said he prefers ISO the zidoo is NOT the box for him and he should pony up for the m9702. If I misread something, please let me know. I would love to dust off the x9 and z9 if they do what my 9702 does..

Thank you for this info. Not only am I iso only I'm to a point where I don't want to tinker much. I understand the occasional rip that won't go smooth, and I'm OK with that and that only.

I was just going to get a uhd disc player until this discussion happened.

Is the standard still redfox/anydvd?

b curry 02-05-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipca204 (Post 59203852)

And my UHD's are MKV. My Blu-rays are a mix of ISO and MKV. I playback with SMB as well as USB drives direct to the box. I've really not experienced any "stuttering".

Seamless branching using UHD BDMV and Blu-ray ISO sometimes gives it a problem sometimes. I don't see that with the M9702.

As far as picture quality, for every day use, there's really no difference.

If you drill down with test patterns, the M9702 will have a small edge as it should considering the hardware.

I calibrate using ChromaPure and a Display 3 PRO Colorimeter.

If you're using MKV's and for less that $200, the Zidoo is hard to beat IMHO. If you're willing to spend $400+ for the M9702 it has some advantages and for sure if you're only using ISO's.

Yes on Atmos.

b curry 02-05-2020 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor (Post 59204246)
Thank you for this info. Not only am I iso only I'm to a point where I don't want to tinker much. I understand the occasional rip that won't go smooth, and I'm OK with that and that only.

UHD requires the newer software. From your OP, it sounds like you've the older software. You're also going to need a particular Blu-ray drive, i.e. particular hardware/firmware to enable a rip.

If you don't need the full disk ISO, MKV will give you just the movie and save some disk storage space.

Either way you go, ISO/MKV, and what ever software, you're probably going to need a new optical drive unless you luck out with what you already might have.

You might want to go here:

http://makemkv.com/

And then do some homework with regards to the drive's here:

https://makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

b curry 02-05-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor (Post 59204246)

Not trying to scare you away from the M9702 but only provide full disclosure if you go that route.

The M9702 is basically a homemade black box. It comes with no UL or CE type testing or certification. There is no warranty. Support is more or less limited to other users experience on a forum in England and one in China from my experience.

It runs "jailbreak" type firmware based on a popular but discontinued UHD disk player. Any firmware updates can come at additional cost although at this point in time I would not expect any. The firmware is sourced from China/Russia as is the box.

You may or may not be required to pay additional custom duties upon arrival of the unit.

I do agree with @ipca204 with it being a great box with regards to ISO playback.

Any threads discussing the M9702 here have been deleted quite quickly.

pdxrealtor 02-05-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b curry (Post 59204970)
Not trying to scare you away from the M9702 but only provide full disclosure if you go that route.

The M9702 is basically a homemade black box. It comes with no UL or CE type testing or certification. There is no warranty. Support is more or less limited to other users experience on a forum in England and one in China from my experience.

It runs "jailbreak" type firmware based on a popular but discontinued UHD disk player. Any firmware updates can come at additional cost although at this point in time I would not expect any. The firmware is sourced from China/Russia as is the box.

You may or may not be required to pay additional custom duties upon arrival of the unit.

I do agree with @ipca204 with it being a great box with regards to ISO playback.

Any threads discussing the M9702 here have been deleted quite quickly.

Thanks for that. Is the official purchase site bd-mxd dot com?

Is the red. Fox hush hush too around here?

pdxrealtor 02-05-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b curry (Post 59204484)
UHD requires the newer software. From your OP, it sounds like you've the older software. You're also going to need a particular Blu-ray drive, i.e. particular hardware/firmware to enable a rip.

If you don't need the full disk ISO, MKV will give you just the movie and save some disk storage space.

Either way you go, ISO/MKV, and what ever software, you're probably going to need a new optical drive unless you luck out with what you already might have.

You might want to go here:

http://makemkv.com/

And then do some homework with regards to the drive's here:

https://makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

Wow..... I have a good drive for ripping, according to the list of drives from that site, but I guess that isn't enough. I would also have to verify year built, and other info just to move forward with a firmware update that may not work. Lol.

This movie ripping thing reminds me of the old cable descramble cards for the cable and satellite services. A game of cat and mouse that never ends. Will I guess it's ended for satellite and cable, but that is another topic.

Much easier to get up and load a disc. I'll continue to build my bd iso collection on the unraid box but am thinking I'll hold off on uhd for now.

ipca204 02-05-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b curry (Post 59204434)
And my UHD's are MKV. My Blu-rays are a mix of ISO and MKV. I playback with SMB as well as USB drives direct to the box. I've really not experienced any "stuttering".

Seamless branching using UHD BDMV and Blu-ray ISO sometimes gives it a problem sometimes. I don't see that with the M9702.

Stutter city on a lot of Marvel and Disney stuff due to the seamless branching. The m9702 chinoppo plays it all flawlessly. As far as a pretty GUI, there are a few people working on getting one, which reminds me i need to send an email to Ed!

b curry 02-05-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipca204 (Post 59205286)
Stutter city on a lot of Marvel and Disney stuff due to the seamless branching. The m9702 chinoppo plays it all flawlessly. As far as a pretty GUI, there are a few people working on getting one, which reminds me i need to send an email to Ed!

As I said and will say again YMMV. It's not a problem with MKV's

I'm not hung up on having the video wall but one you get used to it it's kind of nice. Yes it would be great if someone was able to write code for one on the M9702. but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: I guess my concern with the M9702 is if there is a Java update that is normally passed on via firmware update for BD/UHD machines for future disk's, will the M9702 get it. At the moment I believe there is a Beta firmware for the original that has not been hacked for the M9702 as yet.

b curry 02-05-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor (Post 59205114)
Thanks for that. Is the official purchase site bd-mxd dot com?

Is the red. Fox hush hush too around here?

Yes. That's maybe the main one. There are other vendors too.

RedFox/AnyDVD seems to be ok. They got into some trouble and regrouped a while back.

I use DVDFab Passkey for full BD ISO's. The lifetime subscription go's on sale from time to time.

b curry 02-05-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor (Post 59205234)
Wow..... I have a good drive for ripping, according to the list of drives from that site, but I guess that isn't enough. I would also have to verify year built, and other info just to move forward with a firmware update that may not work. Lol.

This movie ripping thing reminds me of the old cable descramble cards for the cable and satellite services. A game of cat and mouse that never ends. Will I guess it's ended for satellite and cable, but that is another topic.

Much easier to get up and load a disc. I'll continue to build my bd iso collection on the unraid box but am thinking I'll hold off on uhd for now.

Yes it does...

ipca204 02-06-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b curry (Post 59205796)
As I said and will say again YMMV. It's not a problem with MKV's

I'm not hung up on having the video wall but one you get used to it it's kind of nice. Yes it would be great if someone was able to write code for one on the M9702. but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: I guess my concern with the M9702 is if there is a Java update that is normally passed on via firmware update for BD/UHD machines for future disk's, will the M9702 get it. At the moment I believe there is a Beta firmware for the original that has not been hacked for the M9702 as yet.

Can you elaborate on the bolded part above?

mrlittlejeans 02-07-2020 12:18 PM

FWIW - My Dune Pro 4k Max didn't play 1080p 23.976 rips without stutter for some (not all) mkv's so I went back to the Dune Smart series for 1080p playback. It plays everything up to 1080p perfect (including the files the Pro 4k Max stuttered on).

For UHD, I use a jailbroke Oppo 203 and it plays UHD rips perfectly.

I'm not sure there is a perfect player out there right now as they all seem to have some issues. My current setup is working well for me.

stefuel 02-08-2020 01:17 PM

I believe I'm going to have to replace one of my HD D1's due to a power surge.
Will later model Dunes work with a Yadis front end???

pdxrealtor 02-08-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefuel (Post 59218590)
I believe I'm going to have to replace one of my HD D1's due to a power surge.

I have a Dune Smart I may part with if you're interested. PM me if so. I'm not sure about Yadis - I always used Zapiti.

Tsunamijhoe 02-09-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefuel (Post 59218590)

Yes