Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-11-2020, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Synology DS416+ & LG C8PUA

Hi all,

Been tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to get this TV to reliably connect to my Synology NAS and was hoping someone could help. I can occasionally see it pop up in my list of sources and if I start a movie I can watch it through. However, if I let it sit idle for a couple of minutes it will disappear and it's very difficult to get it connected again. Current setup:

-Synology DS416+ using DNLA via the Media Server application. Connected via ethernet to switch, switch to router
-Netgear XR500 with uPNP enabled
-LG OLED C8PUA, connecting both via wireless or ethernet

When I AM able to get it to work it usually involves waking up the Synology via some other device in the house, then changing the network setup on the TV. This can be plugging/unplugging the ethernet cable or switching between the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless networks. It isn't reliable and often doesn't work, but there is a reliable correlation that it does work SOMETIMES. I've played with the broadcast interval and it's currently at 2 minutes.

Can anyone make any suggestions for what to try? Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2020, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Since your NAS supports WOL (Wake on LAN) it's probably worth checking. Try turning it off (24/7) and see if it works... if it does you know it's WOL related. If it is you might be able to spin down the drives and leave it up... that's what I do with my ODROID (NAS storage) since it only draws a couple of watts idling. Luckily everything (so far) waits for the drives to spin up outside of the Amazon Echo where at times I have to repeat the request... as it quickly times out.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #3 of 5 Old 02-11-2020, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Since your NAS supports WOL (Wake on LAN) it's probably worth checking. Try turning it off (24/7) and see if it works... if it does you know it's WOL related. If it is you might be able to spin down the drives and leave it up... that's what I do with my ODROID (NAS storage) since it only draws a couple of watts idling. Luckily everything (so far) waits for the drives to spin up outside of the Amazon Echo where at times I have to repeat the request... as it quickly times out.
Interesting, I will give that a shot. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-11-2020, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately it looks like I already had WOL off and disk hibernation after 20 minutes. This is much longer than it takes to disappear from the TV if detected initially.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-12-2020, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Figured this out! Apparently the issue was that I needed to uncheck "Disable IGMP Proxying" on my router. Apparently IGMP snooping can also be an issue on managed switches, but that wasn't the case for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
c8pua , dnla , lg oled , nas , Synology

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page