Headless Raspberry pi for audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Headless Raspberry pi for audio

Greetings folks,

I have a Raspberry pi 3, a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, an external hard drive, and a premium connection to Spotify all sitting together waiting to stream music in my bedroom. The problem is that I am struggling finding the right distro to serve as my conduit to aural pleasure.

I initially tried Volumio. I love the minimalist nature of the interface through windows and android devices. Sadly though things aren't right between Volumio and HiFiBerry apparently. The most recent version of Volumio will not recognize the DAC+ Pro and when I reverted to an older distro of Volumio it played files from the hard drive just fine, but it wouldn't successfully log into Spotify with either available plugin.

I then installed HiFiBerryOS which is also very minimalist in its interface (subjectively better than Volumio). The setup was amazingly fast. Spotify ran perfectly well, BUT I can't find a way for it to recognize the attached music via the USB hard drive. Apparently, they don't support music via attached hard drives?

Now I'm back with my pretty electronic components sitting on a dresser waiting for me to do something with them. I thought this project was going to be easy, but it's becoming a chore. What Raspberry pi distro are folks using to stream and play music?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The mpd based free (donationware) moOde audio player distro supports the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, Spotify Connect, access to music via attached USB hard drives and much much more. Forum support is also excellent:
http://moodeaudio.org/

Last edited by Cebolla; 02-21-2020 at 10:26 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
The mpd based free (donationware) moOde audio player distro supports the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, Spotify Connect, access to music via attached USB hard drives and much much more. Forum support is also excellent:
http://moodeaudio.org/
That looks super good. Thank you. I'll update this thread when I get everything up and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-11-2020, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 15718
Last weekend I replaced my old Samsung Netbook (running Windoze XP and ASIO) "transport" with a Raspberry Pi 4 running Volumio. Volumio was the first thing I tried and mostly works just fine for me for what little I've used it so far. Songs are on a USB disk drive and I output to a USB DAC. My biggest problem is that my USB drive was written by JRiver Media Player and genre directories are "over" the artist directories. I'll have to change that. Volumio's UI is via a web browser which means I no longer have to have a USB cord running across the room to the stand next to my listening chair. I can just leave the Pi in the rack and control it from my tablet. Looks like I'll check out mpd, too.

If a cannibal eats a clown, will it taste funny?
post #5 of 9 Old 03-12-2020, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 747
I run Ropieee on my raspberry pi's... which interfaces with my Roon server. Certainly some barriers to entry with this sort of configuration, but I really like the end result... Roon won't support Spotify integration, you'd have to be willing (among other things) to make the switch to (or add) either Qobuz or Tidal... but if you do, it's a pretty slick interface that allows your library and those streaming services to coexist side-by-side, with excellent sound quality using a Raspberry Pi as an endpoint streamer.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; JBL Studio 530 L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-12-2020, 11:58 AM

I tried Moode Audio image last night. There is more to do so set it up compared to Volumio and I didn't see any features it had compared to Volumio that I needed. After I rearrange the directory structure on my music drive, I'll give it another try.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-12-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I run Ropieee on my raspberry pi's... which interfaces with my Roon server. Certainly some barriers to entry with this sort of configuration, but I really like the end result... Roon won't support Spotify integration, you'd have to be willing (among other things) to make the switch to (or add) either Qobuz or Tidal... but if you do, it's a pretty slick interface that allows your library and those streaming services to coexist side-by-side, with excellent sound quality using a Raspberry Pi as an endpoint streamer.
A quick glance at the Ropieee site seems like it's only setup to be used as a Roon endpoint. True?

post #8 of 9 Old 03-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 315
You could also try Picoreplayer https://www.picoreplayer.org/. It has built in drivers for Hifiberry DACS and has plugins for Spotify, Tidal, Pandora, Tunein etc. as well as excellent support for your local music collection. Take a look...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 Old 03-14-2020, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
A quick glance at the Ropieee site seems like it's only setup to be used as a Roon endpoint. True?
Yes, correct. In that regard there are several barriers to entry here... but I wanted to mention it because I think it's an excellent solution that checks a lot of boxes that you mentioned.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; JBL Studio 530 L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Raspberry Pi , spotify , usb hard drive

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page