Next Media Server build- thoughts requested - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By halfelite
  • 1 Post By halfelite
  • 1 Post By Osamah Khan
  • 1 Post By halfelite
  • 2 Post By halfelite
  • 1 Post By halfelite
  • 1 Post By halfelite
  • 1 Post By BCRSS
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 02-25-2020, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Next Media Server build- thoughts requested

Hello all!

After over 10 years, it's time to upgrade my media server/nas. Ten years is 4 lifetimes in technology world and I'm woefully out of touch, so hoping folks with more (recent) experiences might be able to provide some thoughts for my next build and setup. Requesting opinions on hardware, operating system and applications.

My current server (more of a nas than a server) is using an old intel 775 cpu/mobo and 10 drives (using a sas expander card) running WHS2011.

Scenarios to be covered with the new build (plus notes on my experience with the current build):
1) File Storage/Sharing (mostly movies, music and photos) - WHS2011 is/was fine for this (with drivepool).
2) Full Redundancy - WHS stunk for this but Stablebit Drivepool add-in makes it excellent.
3) FTP Server - WHS2011 also fine. Like that remote users get a nice browser interface.
4) Music/Movie Streaming (ala netflix, hulu, etc) to connected devices (couple smart tvs, pc's, tablets, phones) as well as from anywhere with an internet connection - My setup is horrible for this. No chance at smooth streaming. Only option is to copy the full file to the local device then play it.
5) Automated backups - WHS is/was excellent for this.
6) Great to have: Support live tv streaming and dvr of non-OTA in and outside the network using a cablecard tuner (silicondust hd homerun prime)
7) Fun to have: Support for things like Nest (have one of the intelligent thermostats), Echo Dot, Google Mini, maybe Sonos, etc

My current usage thoughts DO NOT include running VM's nor hosting applications.

Hardware:
Have lots of hardware laying around so, if possible, would like to use some of it. That said, if I need better equipment to meet my objecives, could budget some funds for purchases.
- cpu/mobo/ram- Have a couple setups laying around that MIGHT work. a) Ryzen 3 3200G, asrock pro4m, 16GB ddr4, and, b) Athlon II X2 250 (quad core), gigabyte ga-ma785gm with 8GB of (non-ECC) ddr3.
- vga- thinking of maybe using a 1080Ti that's not in use atm. Streaming is a high priority, would the 1080Ti be able to transcode maybe up to 3 streams at time?
- case- who cares, have a few
- 2x 8TB 7200 rpm sata drives

Is that 3200G sufficient? What's the story with ECC ram? Seems like most recommended media server builds call for 16-32GB of ECC ram. The server won't be running a lot of VM's or applications and the maximum number of simultaneous client connections is likely only 3 or 4 (but 2 would be the more normal usage). My only concerns with the 1080ti are heat and power. Would it be better to get a mid-range workstation card instead (like the quadro p2000)?

Also, am stil undecided (and looking for thoughts/opinions) on the operating system and other applications but recall reading that, if I use ZFS, it eats 1GB of ram for every terrabyte. If neither existing cpu/mobo/ram will likely meet my objectives, I'd welcome cpu/ram/mobo recommendations.

Operating system:
Definitely liked WHS2011 with the drivepool add-in. As a regular MS user it was familiar and easy. The ability to perform auto-backups of all connected machines was super easy.

Am totally open to using a different operating system but I'm not the most technically skilled person out here so it'd have to be easy. The ones showing up in searches include; WHS2011, Windows 10 (really??), Amahi, Ubuntu Server Edition, FreeNAS, ClearOS, OpenMediaVault and OpenFiler. The only ones I've experienced are WHS2011 and Win10 (but not as a server). Another question....as keys seem pretty cheap, would Windows Server 2016 or 2019 also be viable or totally useless given my needs?

Other apps:
It seems PLEX server is the go-to for streaming audio and video? What do you think? Seems I'd have to upgrade to the 'pro' version to get vga card transcoding working. Anyone used Serviio? Worth a look or just go with PLEX? Are there any other apps I should be thinking about for this build?

Tia for input and feedback!!!!
-Stefan

Last edited by scbesterman; 02-25-2020 at 04:06 PM.
scbesterman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 02-25-2020, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The only time you need that much ram for ZFS is if you are running DEDUPE. But being a media server you DEDUPE would not be needed nor for most home servers.

I would suggest looking at running unraid its simple with a nice UI and gives you the option to mix match drives. If you run zfs they all have to be the same size in the vdev. If the 1080ti is just being used for transcoding plex it would most likely run in p2 state 95% of the time so it would not use that much power and cause heat. The 1080ti is locked to to transcode streams there is a "hack" to get around that limit if you look for it. If not the p2000 allows unlimited streams until the card maxes out with default settings.

If you like plex maybe check our emby or jellyfin. Jellyfin is the openfork for Emby and offers most of the same stuff except client wise. If you are doing streaming for friends and family on cell phones, smart tv's, rokus, firesticks you cant be the ease of plex.

The Ryzen will be plenty with what you have as long as you dont get into VM's but will be enough to run a lot of dockers in unraid to get what you want.
a5ian300zx and scbesterman like this.
halfelite is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 02-25-2020, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
The only time you need that much ram for ZFS is if you are running DEDUPE. But being a media server you DEDUPE would not be needed nor for most home servers.

I would suggest looking at running unraid its simple with a nice UI and gives you the option to mix match drives. If you run zfs they all have to be the same size in the vdev. If the 1080ti is just being used for transcoding plex it would most likely run in p2 state 95% of the time so it would not use that much power and cause heat. The 1080ti is locked to to transcode streams there is a "hack" to get around that limit if you look for it. If not the p2000 allows unlimited streams until the card maxes out with default settings.

If you like plex maybe check our emby or jellyfin. Jellyfin is the openfork for Emby and offers most of the same stuff except client wise. If you are doing streaming for friends and family on cell phones, smart tv's, rokus, firesticks you cant be the ease of plex.

The Ryzen will be plenty with what you have as long as you dont get into VM's but will be enough to run a lot of dockers in unraid to get what you want.
Thank you halfelite, you're awesome!

OK...cool...happy to hear the ryzen setup will do fine. Since I won't be using ZFS (strongly prefer being able to mix n' match drives like unraid or drivepool), guessing the 16GB of ram will be plenty?

On the videocards, found this here :
Quadro P2000 140GB/s, unlimited session limit, 17 transcode streams
gtx 1080ti 484GB/s, 2 session limit (like you said), 22 transcode streams

How many GB/s would it actually take to transcode/stream to 3 simultaneous users? The difference in those bandwidths is crazy, feeling like I'd prefer to go with a workstation card and use the 1080ti for something more suitable as long as the quadro won't be an issue.

Perusing PLEX and Emby....found this regarding streaming outside the network:
"On the plus side, it’s easier to stream your content remotely with Plex than it is with Emby. Emby needs a somewhat-intensive set-up before you’re able to use it outside of your home network. Plex just requires you to sign into your account." Ewww...sounds a bit painful?

That said.....forgot one other "that'd be awesome if I could do that" feature....live TV streaming inside and outside the network (adding to original post). I've got a silicondust hd homerun prime (the one with a cable card and 3 tuners). According to this, streaming anything other than OTA channels won't work with PLEX but here it seems that it works for the other channels, too. Emby looks like it supports it according to this thread. Definitely leaning toward PLEX but if it won't let me stream non-OTA live tv from outside my network and Emby will, that would be a big plus in favor of Emby. Anyone know for sure about these?

If I'm starting to understand (debatable, I'm sue hehe)....I'd still need an operating system on the server. Is that correct? Thinking about Ubuntu Server (learning curve seems a little daunting but there seem to be plenty o' guides around), WHS2011 (familiarity but hate that it's so old hence wondering about Windows Server 2016 or 2019). Thoughts/opinions?

Again...thanks for input!!
scbesterman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 30 Old 02-25-2020, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 341
as you cant transcode 4k with hdr yet we will focus on 1080p. The max BW for a movie is burst 60MB/s not you will not be close to GB/s bandwidth for movies. The p2000 is an awesome card for plex.

As far as I know plex honors flags from cable cards so if something is flagged as a one time use plex will not stream it out. Almost all my cable channels from Frontier are tagged one time use so I have never played around with it much. Plex has revamped livetv/dvr since that article you posted so best to ask in the plex forums on that one.

On the OS if go with unraid it installs everything you need it runs a stripped-down Linux version but has no learning curve. If you want to keep with windows you can always run windows snapraid + drivepool.
scbesterman likes this.
halfelite is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 02-26-2020, 06:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
+1 for unraid.
You can install tv headend in a docker for DVR using hd homerun. Simple and easy.
For other needs you can always install windows on unraid as a vm. It’s really a great home media server.
scbesterman likes this.
Osamah Khan is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 02-27-2020, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks folks! Ok...peering down the unraid rabbit hole, talk about opening a fresh can o' worms! Am not sure about it as maybe it's overkill for my use cases? If I do end up going with unraid, would likely want to run a few VM's I reckon. Would that change hardware thoughts?

What about the Quadro K4000? It's about $200 cheaper than the P2000 and still seems like it wouldn't even break a sweat with my measly streaming requirements (1-2 normal, 3-4 busy, potential max maybe 6) as it lists 134GB/s.
Update- nope...this card won't work. Any other cards that could do the trick (will definitely be using Plex) for less than the price of the p2000?

Apologies for crazyn00b question.... given my wishlist of scenarios, what're the advantages of unraid over WHS Vail (with the stablebit drivepool add-in)?

Last edited by scbesterman; 02-27-2020 at 07:11 AM.
scbesterman is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 02-27-2020, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The p2000 is the top card for running plex for the price and it will keep you happy for years to come.

As for the advantages, one of them is Dockers and VM's. The next is all the tools and up to date software that is being made and maintained for it.

Your hardware will run a few VM's but make sure you check if you need a VM for what you want and not just a docker. Like on my unraid box I have a plex, calibre, nextcloud, garfana, mariadb and a few others. The nice thing with dockers is they are sandboxed away from the rest of the system unless you give them access to one another or to the unraid storage space. Only time you want to run a VM now is if you need the full desktop or there is some software that just wont run as a docker. I run a windows VM for blueiris for my security cameras.
scbesterman likes this.
halfelite is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 03-02-2020, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am very much leaning toward some version of Windows Server. Having run WHS for a decade+, am pretty comfortable with one of the newer flavors like 2016 or 2019.

That said, have read in multiple places that if I run PWS as a service, hardware transcoding won't work. Some have said it's an Intel bug but that seems odd. Anyone have it working properly on Windows Server with an AMD chip?

Seems like the only way to get hardware transcoding working with Windows Server is to make it suto-login then run PWS normally.

Any ideas? To get it working consistently to run something like unraid? Would I have to run any virtual machines at all in order to get things like automated client backups working properly?

Hoping to keep this as quick, simple and easy as possible. Windows is the logical choice for me but need hardware transcoding working at all times and prefer not to auto login (or have to manually login) at every start/reboot.
scbesterman is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 03-03-2020, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pretty much put together. Just waiting for 1 more 8TB drive and it's built and ready for me to do something with it. Starting to (sadly as well as kicking and screaming) consider non-windows options. The inability to use the p2000 for transcoding unless the server's set to auto-login is basically a showstopper from a security perspective (or is it?). Any info on the windows server/hardware transcoding thing, opinions on the real risk of having a logged in server user, other workarounds/fixes, etc....would be super appreciated.

Atm....checking out some guides and vids for unRaid. Any others I should check out given my objectives and desire for an easy(ish) time getting everything set up?
Again....thanks in advance
-Stefan
scbesterman is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 03-03-2020, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbesterman View Post
Pretty much put together. Just waiting for 1 more 8TB drive and it's built and ready for me to do something with it. Starting to (sadly as well as kicking and screaming) consider non-windows options. The inability to use the p2000 for transcoding unless the server's set to auto-login is basically a showstopper from a security perspective (or is it?). Any info on the windows server/hardware transcoding thing, opinions on the real risk of having a logged in server user, other workarounds/fixes, etc....would be super appreciated.

Atm....checking out some guides and vids for unRaid. Any others I should check out given my objectives and desire for an easy(ish) time getting everything set up?
Again....thanks in advance
-Stefan
The good thing about unraid or any new system is the use of dockers it helps sandbox everything so no one item has a huge impact on your NAS. If you are looking at unraid videos on youtube. I suggest looking at SpaceInvader One https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZD...N0WeAPvMqTOrtA His unraid and tut videos are the best out there and easy to follow and he has one for almost everything. The chance of needing a VM is slim.

I suggest the following videos in this order it will give you how unraid works how to set it up and how to install plex with gpu transcoding.


Last edited by halfelite; 03-03-2020 at 04:29 PM.
halfelite is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 03-04-2020, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You're my hero! 🙂 Thanks so much! Watched a couple of spaceinvader's vids last night (the one about raid/unraid and his getting started vid. Will watch the ones you shared in the order you suggest. Getting all excited now! Lol
scbesterman is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 03-05-2020, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Loving the videos....a couple more to go. Last parts arrive Monday so hope to finish up the hardware and boot unraid for the first time early next week. Look forward to seeing how long it takes to prep the drives. ;/ SI1's setup took 29 hours with much less space.
scbesterman is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 03-05-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbesterman View Post
Loving the videos....a couple more to go. Last parts arrive Monday so hope to finish up the hardware and boot unraid for the first time early next week. Look forward to seeing how long it takes to prep the drives. ;/ SI1's setup took 29 hours with much less space.
I dont remember how long mine took but it was less time than rebuilding my 48TB ZFS install. My Unraid server now runs 120TB.
scbesterman likes this.
halfelite is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 03-05-2020, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
120TB...my entire build is a veritable bump on your log lol

Maybe initialization take longer than copying the 8 or 9TB of data from my 775 "vintage" setup.

Regardless, very psyched! Looking forward (with fingers crossed) to the first movie and tv streaming tests! Woohoo!!
scbesterman is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 03-11-2020, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting there! Just for reference, I'm using an asrock b450m pro4
Starting the initial set up process using this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Initially, couldn't get a display so pulled the p2000 and away we go. First thing I did in bios is set the primary graphics to the on-board one. Thinking I should be fine after saving all the bios changes, shutting down and then re-install the card?

In the video around 4:25, he goes to cpu config and enables intel virtualization. On my board, I enabled SVM Mode which seems like the AMD equivalent. Cool. Around 4:41, he enables Vt-d...anyone know the equivalent on amd boards (or mine in particular maybe?)? I enabled IOMMU because I found that while searching for an answer to the Vt-d question.

Got in the os Continuing along with the video.

Ideas? Thank you!
scbesterman is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old 03-11-2020, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbesterman View Post
Getting there! Just for reference, I'm using an asrock b450m pro4
Starting the initial set up process using this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Initially, couldn't get a display so pulled the p2000 and away we go. First thing I did in bios is set the primary graphics to the on-board one. Thinking I should be fine after saving all the bios changes, shutting down and then re-install the card?

In the video around 4:25, he goes to cpu config and enables intel virtualization. On my board, I enabled SVM Mode which seems like the AMD equivalent. Cool. Around 4:41, he enables Vt-d...anyone know the equivalent on amd boards (or mine in particular maybe?)? I enabled IOMMU because I found that while searching for an answer to the Vt-d question.

Got in the os Continuing along with the video.

Ideas? Thank you!
IOMMU is vt-d its AMD's name for it. As for the graphics card make sure you look under Advanced > Chipset Configuration > IGPU -> enable multi monitor and see if that doesnt fix your issue with the p2000 not displaying.
scbesterman likes this.
halfelite is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old 03-11-2020, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks again halfelite! Perfect

With the p2000....I don't have the right cable so....does setting the primary adapter to igp vs. pcie make a difference if I run headless? If I just re-install the card, will unraid automatically be able to see it and use it for transcoding? Alternatively, can I just go back to bios, set the primary as the p2000, save and exit? Guessing that might be the right approach? Do I need to get an adapter that tricks the system into thinking there's a monitor connected to the card? Lots of questions I know :/

Have some time to figure this out. Started preclearing the drives. It's looking like the pre-read stage will take about 8 hours, we'll see how long this takes. Hoping maybe by Saturday or Sunday it'll be ready for card install, completing setup and maybe even install Plex.

Thank you halfelite for getting me out of my os comfort zone so smoothly and easily hehe I'm all excited

Update: Pre-read complete! Took about 11:30. Zeroing stage started...woohoo!

Last edited by scbesterman; 03-12-2020 at 06:11 AM.
scbesterman is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 03-12-2020, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 341
If you run headless it should see it when it's installed just to make sure the bios is set to see it as well. looks like you are all set.
halfelite is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 03-12-2020, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
If you run headless it should see it when it's installed just to make sure the bios is set to see it as well. looks like you are all set.
YAY! Thanks again!!!
Things are moving along nicely here....zeroing is now about 60% complete after 6 hours. It should be ready for card install and setup by tomorrow. Then it'll be time to start the ~8TB copy from the old setup to the new one. Imagine it's best to do in smaller chunks than big bang stylee.
scbesterman is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 03-14-2020, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Continuing with the setup using the video. Set the parity, data and cache drives as described. Started the array and cancelled the parity build. Following the instructions, selected to start formatting the drives (around the 14:03 mark in the video) but formatting apparently fails (see screenshot). Ran a read check and it shows millions of errors.

The status of the drives never changes from unmountable: unsupported partition layout to formatting, the formatting just doesn't seem to get going.

Any ideas? Attaching the log from one of the drives, hopefully it helps.

Thank you again....hopefully, with your guidance, will me get this resolved.
Update- Rebooted, retried and disks formatted, all looks well now. Back to the video!!!

UPDATE2: Arghh...stuck. First issue is my parity drive isn't set up. SI1 skipped that step but didn't show how to actually get it to run in the end. Did get all the plug-ins installed.

Also...having trouble getting Krusader installed and configured. The new version is a bit different than the one SI1 used (for example, I don't have a label/entry for host path 1 :/ Can't seem to find a guide with the same layout/settings as the new version. Screenie attached, settings guidance would be mucho appreciated.

UPDATE3: p2000 installed and set as primary adapter in bios. Not sure how to see it in unraid yet but imagining it's ok. (update- unraid sees it...iommu group 7 ).

Found the parity scheduler on the Dashboard page and figured I'd try that. Aborted with millions of errors (similar to what I originally saw when setting up the data drives). It's listed in Historical Devices as missing. :/ Screens attached.

UPDATE4: Stopped the array, set the parity drive to none, started the array, removed the drive from Historical, stopped the array, set the drive as the parity one, started the array and away we go. This step looks like it could take a while. Server time is off by 3 hours so, whenever the current action completes, will get back in to bios, set the time and try again. (update- setting the correct timezone in unraid fixed this. duh ).

Still not sure what my issue(s) is(are) with Krusader :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diskerrors1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2697622   Click image for larger version

Name:	krusader.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	2698202  
Attached Files
File Type: txt disklog.txt (7.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by scbesterman; 03-15-2020 at 12:05 PM.
scbesterman is offline  
post #21 of 30 Old 03-15-2020, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update- Resolved all issues! Wooohoo!!! Starting to get the hang of it. While using Krusader to copy the movies from the old setup, starting to play with Plex.
scbesterman is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 03-16-2020, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Continuing the big file copies from the old setup to the new one. While that's going on, thinking about next steps.

- Still have to watch SI1's transcoding video but came across the linuxserver.io version of unraid with the nvidia drivers pre-installed. What do you folks think? If I install it, will it wipe out everything I've already set up on my current unraid install? Will I lose all the data on the disks?

- Have to research more for plug-ins/etc that'll help me hit my objectives. Any guidance would, as always, be excellent and appreciated!

1) File Storage/Sharing (mostly movies, music and photos) - Have storage resolved. Sharing of movies and other videos should be fine with Plex. How is Plex for audio/music files? Plex doesn't seem to allow photo sharing so could use something for that. If I want to let people access/save my photos, any tips for that? I did see there's a Cloud Storage app....maybe that's the best way to go for that part?

2) Full Redundancy - Resolved/covered. YAY!

3) FTP Server - Relates a bit to #1 . If I want to allow people to access and download files (regardless of format), would some ftp app/plug-in be the way to go or should I set up Cloud storage? Guess not many 'normal' users even know what ftp is or how to do it so thinking there's a better approach to meet this objective.

4) Music/Movie Streaming (ala netflix, hulu, etc) to connected devices (couple smart tvs, pc's, tablets, phones) as well as from anywhere with an internet connection - Resolved/partially resolved? Video streaming is covered thanks to Plex Media Server but can/should Plex be used for music or is there a better alternative?

5) Automated backups - Not sure what to do here. Would like the server to automatically back up all connected clients once per week or so. Have been using Acronis for years but am not sure whether I want to set up a container with Windows (or WHS) just to have this on there. Tips/guidance on any app/plug-in to handle the backup process (including automated deletion of old weekly backups...thinking that ideally, would have a max of 3 weeklies/machine then monthlies going further back).

6) Great to have: Support live tv streaming and dvr of non-OTA in and outside the network using a cablecard tuner (silicondust hd homerun prime). Not sure about getting protected content streaming but have found some articles that provide setup instructions for the silicondust devices. Guessing the video streams themselves would come through Plex (after I upgrade to the full version)? I've seen mention of various apps for recording that edit out commercials, perform pvr functions and other things. As media streaming/sharing is the primary use of the setup, certainly appreciate tips/thoughts/recommendations to get the media most out of this build.

7) Fun to have: Support for things like Nest (have one of the intelligent thermostats), Echo Dot, Google Mini, maybe Sonos, etc- Have seen some guides/videos around home automation but this will wait until I've gotten closer to meeting the other objectives. Again, though....recommedations welcomed with open arms.

Then, finally, there's the great unkown (to me) of everything that's possible on a server. Again....awesome app/plug-in recommendations/discussion are very much welcomed.

Thank you all for taking the time to wade through this morass of verbal dung. This old dog's trying to learn new tricks! *arf arf*
Thanks again!
-Stefan
scbesterman is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 03-16-2020, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbesterman View Post

1) File Storage/Sharing (mostly movies, music and photos) - Have storage resolved. Sharing of movies and other videos should be fine with Plex. How is Plex for audio/music files? Plex doesn't seem to allow photo sharing so could use something for that. If I want to let people access/save my photos, any tips for that? I did see there's a Cloud Storage app....maybe that's the best way to go for that part?
Plex will share you photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	2698710  
scbesterman likes this.
BCRSS is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 03-16-2020, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
Plex will share you photos.
Thanks BCRSS! Yup....user error, of course :/ First shot using Plex, still so much to learn
scbesterman is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 03-16-2020, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbesterman View Post
Continuing the big file copies from the old setup to the new one. While that's going on, thinking about next steps.

- Still have to watch SI1's transcoding video but came across the linuxserver.io version of unraid with the nvidia drivers pre-installed. What do you folks think? If I install it, will it wipe out everything I've already set up on my current unraid install? Will I lose all the data on the disks?

- Have to research more for plug-ins/etc that'll help me hit my objectives. Any guidance would, as always, be excellent and appreciated!

1) File Storage/Sharing (mostly movies, music and photos) - Have storage resolved. Sharing of movies and other videos should be fine with Plex. How is Plex for audio/music files? Plex doesn't seem to allow photo sharing so could use something for that. If I want to let people access/save my photos, any tips for that? I did see there's a Cloud Storage app....maybe that's the best way to go for that part?

2) Full Redundancy - Resolved/covered. YAY!

3) FTP Server - Relates a bit to #1 . If I want to allow people to access and download files (regardless of format), would some ftp app/plug-in be the way to go or should I set up Cloud storage? Guess not many 'normal' users even know what ftp is or how to do it so thinking there's a better approach to meet this objective.

4) Music/Movie Streaming (ala netflix, hulu, etc) to connected devices (couple smart tvs, pc's, tablets, phones) as well as from anywhere with an internet connection - Resolved/partially resolved? Video streaming is covered thanks to Plex Media Server but can/should Plex be used for music or is there a better alternative?

5) Automated backups - Not sure what to do here. Would like the server to automatically back up all connected clients once per week or so. Have been using Acronis for years but am not sure whether I want to set up a container with Windows (or WHS) just to have this on there. Tips/guidance on any app/plug-in to handle the backup process (including automated deletion of old weekly backups...thinking that ideally, would have a max of 3 weeklies/machine then monthlies going further back).

6) Great to have: Support live tv streaming and dvr of non-OTA in and outside the network using a cablecard tuner (silicondust hd homerun prime). Not sure about getting protected content streaming but have found some articles that provide setup instructions for the silicondust devices. Guessing the video streams themselves would come through Plex (after I upgrade to the full version)? I've seen mention of various apps for recording that edit out commercials, perform pvr functions and other things. As media streaming/sharing is the primary use of the setup, certainly appreciate tips/thoughts/recommendations to get the media most out of this build.

7) Fun to have: Support for things like Nest (have one of the intelligent thermostats), Echo Dot, Google Mini, maybe Sonos, etc- Have seen some guides/videos around home automation but this will wait until I've gotten closer to meeting the other objectives. Again, though....recommedations welcomed with open arms.

Then, finally, there's the great unkown (to me) of everything that's possible on a server. Again....awesome app/plug-in recommendations/discussion are very much welcomed.

Thank you all for taking the time to wade through this morass of verbal dung. This old dog's trying to learn new tricks! *arf arf*
Thanks again!
-Stefan
No it will not wipe anything. Couple things with unraid make sure to always backup your config. Next unraid data unlike normal raids can be read in any machine nothing will wipe data unless you tell it. If unraid died tomorrow you could stick any drive in any linux machine and read the content. I would suggest reading the unraid/nvidia thread in detail

1. plex for photo
3. I would not run an ftp in this day and age unless it for a good reason. I run a VM of ubuntu with a GLFTPD running on it but its only used for some highly automated scripts I have built over the years. If you want people to get access to your files I highly suggest looking at nextcloud or other options.
5. automated backups look at veeam. Also make sure you look at unraid backup solutions to backup your dockers and settings spaceinvader should have a tut for it.
6. most likely plex is the easiest option for live tv. once you install community apps on unraid you can search for tv headends and see what else is already made for it.
7. home automation look at HASS.io it takes a bit of setup but works great.
halfelite is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 03-17-2020, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You're really so kind for all your help halfelite....thank you!!!!!

Quick question....is it possible to share streams off my server (including TV) without using Plex? Initial testing seems like Plex works great but what if someone doesn't have a Plex account on their side? Will the free version work for those users (seems videos/music/etc should work but not sure about TV).

Also...any really good links to help me understand how to set up security, user accounts, etc?
scbesterman is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 03-17-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
halfelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,241
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbesterman View Post
You're really so kind for all your help halfelite....thank you!!!!!

Quick question....is it possible to share streams off my server (including TV) without using Plex? Initial testing seems like Plex works great but what if someone doesn't have a Plex account on their side? Will the free version work for those users (seems videos/music/etc should work but not sure about TV).

Also...any really good links to help me understand how to set up security, user accounts, etc?
I have never messed wit the live tv stuff. But from my understanding, only the serer needs the licenses. Like I have a license on my server and hardware decoding works for everyone outside my home. I know a few have to purchase the apps on iphones and such they are not free.
halfelite is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 03-18-2020, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks once again halfelite!
Enabled/created a strong password for (g)root account

For some reason, doing disk copies isn't as fast with Krusader for me as whs (remote desktop) > Unraid shares. Also, Krusader stalls out and/or skips a lot of files. It copied all movie folders but only about 300 (out of 1500ish) movie files copied. Still transferring files across but getting there. I'll need to do a lot of folder/file/share cleanup. :/

Added the nvidia plug-in and switched to that os.

Plex seems to be working reasonably well. Still have to read a lot to make sure I've got transcoding running properly but tests inside and outside the network have been beautiful. Have to figure out why it's only showing 389 movies in the library. It's also not seeing anything in the music libraries...mp3's, .wav's, .flac's, etc (am sure it's an rtfm or p3n15 error).

Slowly starting to scratch the surface on this stuff. Excited by what can actually be done on a server! hehe
scbesterman is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 03-22-2020, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
scbesterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Data copying is finally done. Turns out multiple drives on the old build have major issues so transfer speeds were garbage but I finally got everything.

Worked on getting Plex set up to use the p2000 for transcoding. There were some version differences vs. what's in the guide. See below for a couple screenshots. Does it look like Plex is using the p2000? Also...what about that priviledged flag? Should that be "on"?

Having trouble with getting the Music files recognized by Plex. Using the following structure: <Artist Name folder>, <Album or Concert folder> then all the audio tracks (mp3's, wav's, flac's mostly). Have the share set properly and add the top-level music folder in Plex container settings. Added the library in the Plex gui but Plex says there are no files found. :/ Folder/File structure seems ok so not sure why it's not cooperating.

Update: Got it...share problem resolved. Also set to transcode in ram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transcode-SETTINGS.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	2700618   Click image for larger version

Name:	transcode1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2700620  

Last edited by scbesterman; 03-22-2020 at 01:57 PM.
scbesterman is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 03-22-2020, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,262
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbesterman View Post
Data copying is finally done. Turns out multiple drives on the old build have major issues so transfer speeds were garbage but I finally got everything.

Worked on getting Plex set up to use the p2000 for transcoding. There were some version differences vs. what's in the guide. See below for a couple screenshots. Does it look like Plex is using the p2000? Also...what about that priviledged flag? Should that be "on"?

Having trouble with getting the Music files recognized by Plex. Using the following structure: <Artist Name folder>, <Album or Concert folder> then all the audio tracks (mp3's, wav's, flac's mostly). Have the share set properly and add the top-level music folder in Plex container settings. Added the library in the Plex gui but Plex says there are no files found. :/ Folder/File structure seems ok so not sure why it's not cooperating.

Update: Got it...share problem resolved. Also set to transcode in ram.
Yes you are transcoding when it has HW behind the details of stream
You do not need privileged on. In the plex docker settings you should create a path for your music. All my media in plex is set up as such, tv shows =/mnt/user/tv, music = /mnt/user/music...etc I then start docker and can add the appropriate media in plex.
BCRSS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off