Continuing the big file copies from the old setup to the new one. While that's going on, thinking about next steps.
- Still have to watch SI1's transcoding video but came across the linuxserver.io version of unraid with the nvidia drivers pre-installed
. What do you folks think? If I install it, will it wipe out everything I've already set up on my current unraid install? Will I lose all the data on the disks?
- Have to research more for plug-ins/etc that'll help me hit my objectives. Any guidance would, as always, be excellent and appreciated!
1) File Storage/Sharing (mostly movies, music and photos) - Have storage resolved. Sharing of movies and other videos should be fine with Plex. How is Plex for audio/music files? Plex doesn't seem to allow photo sharing so could use something for that. If I want to let people access/save my photos, any tips for that? I did see there's a Cloud Storage app....maybe that's the best way to go for that part?
2) Full Redundancy - Resolved/covered. YAY!
3) FTP Server - Relates a bit to #1
. If I want to allow people to access and download files (regardless of format), would some ftp app/plug-in be the way to go or should I set up Cloud storage? Guess not many 'normal' users even know what ftp is or how to do it so thinking there's a better approach to meet this objective.
4) Music/Movie Streaming (ala netflix, hulu, etc) to connected devices (couple smart tvs, pc's, tablets, phones) as well as from anywhere with an internet connection - Resolved/partially resolved? Video streaming is covered thanks to Plex Media Server but can/should Plex be used for music or is there a better alternative?
5) Automated backups - Not sure what to do here. Would like the server to automatically back up all connected clients once per week or so. Have been using Acronis for years but am not sure whether I want to set up a container with Windows (or WHS) just to have this on there. Tips/guidance on any app/plug-in to handle the backup process (including automated deletion of old weekly backups...thinking that ideally, would have a max of 3 weeklies/machine then monthlies going further back).
6) Great to have: Support live tv streaming and dvr of non-OTA in and outside the network using a cablecard tuner (silicondust hd homerun prime). Not sure about getting protected content streaming but have found some articles that provide setup instructions for the silicondust devices. Guessing the video streams themselves would come through Plex (after I upgrade to the full version)? I've seen mention of various apps for recording that edit out commercials, perform pvr functions and other things. As media streaming/sharing is the primary use of the setup, certainly appreciate tips/thoughts/recommendations to get the media most out of this build.
7) Fun to have: Support for things like Nest (have one of the intelligent thermostats), Echo Dot, Google Mini, maybe Sonos, etc- Have seen some guides/videos around home automation but this will wait until I've gotten closer to meeting the other objectives. Again, though....recommedations welcomed with open arms.
Then, finally, there's the great unkown (to me) of everything that's possible on a server. Again....awesome app/plug-in recommendations/discussion are very much welcomed.
Thank you all for taking the time to wade through this morass of verbal dung.
This old dog's trying to learn new tricks! *arf arf*