Watching The Invisible Man (2020) On Demand - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 03-22-2020, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9379 Post(s)
Liked: 16622
Watching The Invisible Man (2020) On Demand

The Invisible Man is one of the movies that Universal Studios has made available on-demand Due to the coronavirus pandemic that has caused most commercial movie theaters to close. The movie is available to rent for $19.99 through various services including Amazon, Vudu, iTunes and Google Play.

Charging $19.99 for the rental instead of the purchase seems like a reasonable compromise. However, it's notable that that there is no 4K you/UHD rental option.

I'll be the first to admit that I've wanted the option to watch a movie that's in theaters, at home... and am willing to pay for it. I'd probably even cough up $30 for a UHD rental. As it stands, my first viewing of this movie will be in streaming HD.

I wish the circumstances that made this a reality were different. I have actually watched the movie yet, but I'll back with impressions of the experience.

What are your thoughts on providing theatrical releases to rent? Is it an exceptional measure taken in exceptional times, or should this transition to making movies available to home viewers—even if it's just a pricey rental and not the highest quality possible—become permanent?

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-22-2020, 04:09 PM
sor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I don’t like them skimping on the video quality - I suspect it is an anti piracy measure - but I imagine most of us who go to the trouble of building home theaters would prefer new releases go straight to our private theater! It’s a question of how economically viable it is, and the theater operators themselves are going to have a say as well.

Lakeview Cinema build thread
post #3 of 34 Old 03-22-2020, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I don’t like them skimping on the video quality - I suspect it is an anti piracy measure - but I imagine most of us who go to the trouble of building home theaters would prefer new releases go straight to our private theater! It’s a question of how economically viable it is, and the theater operators themselves are going to have a say as well.
I don't think that commercial movie theaters are going to ever be the same again.

There is the question, what is the value of a new-release, A-list movie on-demand in UHD? $30? $40? $50?

Tickets for a family of 4 is going to be $50 or more, so I'd have to think studios will want at least that to make this a reality.

But here's the reality, the brands that are operating theaters are either multiplex operators like AMC and Regal, or licensed premium experiences like IMAX and Dolby. Meanwhile their competition goes by brand names such as Apple, Amazon, Google. I guess I have to put my money on the global megacorporations winning out.

I have not been to a movie theater in years, I avoid them at all costs. There's just so much that's wrong with them, starting with the exit signs, the fact that you have to show up really early just to get a decent seat, Not to mention the cost on the quality of the popcorn... ack! So yeah, I'm biased.
sgibson likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 03-22-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked: 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I don't think that commercial movie theaters are going to ever be the same again.

There is the question, what is the value of a new-release, A-list movie on-demand in UHD? $30? $40? $50?

Tickets for a family of 4 is going to be $50 or more, so I'd have to think studios will want at least that to make this a reality.

But here's the reality, the brands that are operating theaters are either multiplex operators like AMC and Regal, or licensed premium experiences like IMAX and Dolby. Meanwhile their competition goes by brand names such as Apple, Amazon, Google. I guess I have to put my money on the global megacorporations winning out.

I have not been to a movie theater in years, I avoid them at all costs. There's just so much that's wrong with them, starting with the exit signs, the fact that you have to show up really early just to get a decent seat, Not to mention the cost on the quality of the popcorn... ack! So yeah, I'm biased.
Reserved seating, I haven't done general seating for over 5 years. Families have been priced out of theaters for years, they just wait for the discs. Theaters will recover, it's one thing to choose to be home it's another to be trapped there. People are going to want get out, bars, restaurants, theaters will recover. Not to mention most of those businesses are no longer family driven, singles and couples with money to spend drive those businesses.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #5 of 34 Old 03-22-2020, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Reserved seating, I haven't done general seating for over 5 years. Families have been priced out of theaters for years, they just wait for the discs. Theaters will recover, it's one thing to choose to be home it's another to be trapped there. People are going to want get out, bars, restaurants, theaters will recover. Not to mention most of those businesses are no longer family driven, singles and couples with money to spend drive those businesses.
Yes I agree. The fact people are so resistant to holing up now (with the scientifically proven benefit of making this crisis as short as possible) shows how much people value socializing. So I agree.

I'm old and married, but I do remember the role movie theaters played in my youthful love life. I assume what that means is that movie theaters remain a place where people judge what they want to do next with their date.

I do think the reserved seating, premium theaters have the best chance of recovering. Sure.
tenthplanet likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 34 Old 03-22-2020, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 55
If it was $20 to buy and not rent I would Have pulled the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 34 Old 03-22-2020, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think the producers realize that frustrate and bored out of mind families will shell out $20 for a fresh movie. I don’t think it is a bad deal really.

I also don’t think this will bring any paradigm shift. Once corona goes away, things normalize, theater business will be back to normal as so many here have suggested.

I would however love it if they started doing this more often for those of us who prefer to stay at home and watch new stuff on our big screens and home theater systems. I would be more than happy to shell out $20 once every couple of months.
SuperFist and beerhunt like this.
post #8 of 34 Old 03-22-2020, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4105 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
I wont pay for anything other than rental prices of 6 bux or so. back in the day I bought 500+ dvd's...not doing that again.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #9 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 629
If you want it at the regular prices, it will be so after a little while. Just because it's in it's theatrical run it's $20 for a rental. Give it a few months and it will drop to the more usual prices and qualities.
post #10 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 6450
I've been thinking about something like this for around 15 years. I knew it was inevitable with the Coronavirus spreading that they would have to find a new paradigm and lo and behold.
Blitzdog likes this.
post #11 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 6130 Post(s)
Liked: 4173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Actually I suspect its not an anti piracy measure. Movies are released first for theater but commercial theaters are not HDR. Then it takes a mastering engineer to grade the film in HDR. Good chance that the HDR version just isn't ready so there's no reason to release it in 4K without HDR.
imagic likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #12 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

My first impression is that the quality is not up to snuff, even for a 1080p/HD presentation. The video compression reminded me of what Amazon & Vudu were delivering to viewers five years ago... A bit fuzzy, plenty of banding, and sound that lacks dynamics & impact. Basically, it's the sort of video that causes people to say streaming is unacceptable for home theater.

Now, this could be the result of the mastering, or perhaps it is the result of being with limitations on the server side, given the current generation. Whatever it is, unless you are superduper excited about a movie and simply cannot wait, I don't think it's worth renting for $20.

I have read that there is consideration for releasing Wonder Woman 1984 directly to on-demand. That will be a circumstance where I would want sound and picture quality that provides a seamless viewing experience, which was not the case with The Invisible Man. And I suppose, if I was bored enough, I could be cajoled into paying $30 for the privilege (but would rather not) I'd rather see higher quality delivered at this $20 rental price point.
coldharbor and openbaffled like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #13 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I think it was a smart move to go this route. I’d hope it’s inevitable we go down this path but I also hope movie theaters rebound. I used to love going to the movies.

I like most here prefer to watch from home. Waiting for movies isn’t that bad and big movies I’ll go to the theatre. Like Star Wars or Marvel I like the experience. Hate the people and the talking

For Invisible Man quality isn’t that big a a deal but it sure I’ll pay $20 to rent 1080p.

For Wonder Woman 1984 that needs to be HDR and have great sound.

The only model that keeps Theaters going is exclusivity at release. When a movie comes out I think rental or go see it. 95%+ are rentals right away.
post #14 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
My first impression is that the quality is not up to snuff, even for a 1080p/HD presentation. The video compression reminded me of what Amazon & Vudu were delivering to viewers five years ago... A bit fuzzy, plenty of banding, and sound that lacks dynamics & impact. Basically, it's the sort of video that causes people to say streaming is unacceptable for home theater.

Now, this could be the result of the mastering, or perhaps it is the result of being with limitations on the server side, given the current generation. Whatever it is, unless you are superduper excited about a movie and simply cannot wait, I don't think it's worth renting for $20.

I have read that there is consideration for releasing Wonder Woman 1984 directly to on-demand. That will be a circumstance where I would want sound and picture quality that provides a seamless viewing experience, which was not the case with The Invisible Man. And I suppose, if I was bored enough, I could be cajoled into paying $30 for the privilege (but would rather not) I'd rather see higher quality delivered at this $20 rental price point.

Was the audio in Atmos or just 5.1/7.1? If there is no Atmos then I won’t bother for awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 434 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Compared to going to a theater, the lesser quality of streaming is equal the the better experience due to no distractions from other people.

So for me, $20 works. For a couple, let alone a family, the cost savings is there and there are no other people around taking you out of the movie with phone screens, talking, etc.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #16 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdarcy View Post
If it was $20 to buy and not rent I would Have pulled the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or even a $30 option, which gives you the purchase once it is released. I have already conditioned myself to not go to the theaters and pay $30 for the physical disc. This makes a $20 rental too much. I always choose the VUDU disc + digital option and the digital copy is instantly available.

Either do what Disney did with Onward and make the $19.99 include ownership or an option that is slightly more expensive and gives you the 48 hour rental now, but the digital copy in your library once released.
post #17 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I gave in and pre-ordered the 4K UHD disc. I liked the directors last film. Thirty dollars and you own a copy of something vs. twenty and you don't.
coldharbor likes this.

post #18 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 792
I was interested until they did not offer it isn HDR/DV so I will wait until I can buy a code for the HDR version.
coldharbor likes this.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #19 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 5716 Post(s)
Liked: 4090
I will just wait for it to become an HDR rental on iTunes for $5.99 in a few months.
coldharbor and openbaffled like this.
post #20 of 34 Old 03-23-2020, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Going to the theater is an evening out for my family and friends. We generally have a light dinner then buy snacks at the theater. Yes it is a bit expensive, but the thought of paying $20 to rent a movie at home is completely alien to me. It seems like on AVS we are the odd family out.
Even though I have a decent home theater everyone but me just sees it as another night of watching TV. It is not a night out.
With the current situation, we are tending to spend more time talking, playing games, and unfortunately eating.
post #21 of 34 Old 03-24-2020, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 138
My wife and I watched it through Vudu and while the PQ was a bit lacking, the AQ was great with lots of bass and dynamic range for it being Dolby Digital+ and we both enjoyed the movie as well. IMO, the $20 is well worth the rental considering the cost for two at a local theater and if you don't end up liking the movie, at least you only wasted $20 at home than what you would of wasted at a movie theater.
post #22 of 34 Old 03-24-2020, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I gave in and pre-ordered the 4K UHD disc. I liked the directors last film. Thirty dollars and you own a copy of something vs. twenty and you don't.
Did that give you access to the movie now? If not, that is not different that what has always been offered.

edit: looks like a few movies (birds of pray, bloodshot) are offering "early access", which gives you the option to rent or purchase the movie with the digital now. The newer movies (The Hunt, Invisible Man) are only the $20 rentals.

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 03-24-2020 at 05:38 AM.
post #23 of 34 Old 03-24-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Did that give you access to the movie now? If not, that is not different that what has always been offered.

edit: looks like a few movies (birds of pray, bloodshot) are offering "early access", which gives you the option to rent or purchase the movie with the digital now. The newer movies (The Hunt, Invisible Man) are only the $20 rentals.
It's not but the physical media doesn't have a hard release date either, so don't be surprised if it's moved up a bit.

post #24 of 34 Old 03-25-2020, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Oops wrong thread

Last edited by SoCalCyclist; 03-25-2020 at 01:53 PM.
post #25 of 34 Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I understand the thought that $20 bucks isn't a bad option for a family (or even a couple) to watch the theatrical run movie. But as an individual, I don't think I could bring myself to pay more for a streaming rental than a movie ticket. If it were $10-12, I'd probably splurge on the movies I'd normally see in the theater, but I'm not paying close to double. Or like some said, if you got to "own" the digital copy for that price, maybe I'd do it for a few select movies.

I'm okay with it, I've got PLENTY of movies to watch. I can wait til they're cheaper and/or the world opens back up :-)
coldharbor, thehun and openbaffled like this.
post #26 of 34 Old 03-25-2020, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Thanks for this review. I was sorely tempted to rent Invisible Man for a very reasonable $20 but I held off once I learned about the subpar audio and video quality.

I understand that we are in a unique situation and Universal likely rushed this to streaming without much refinement but I am highly distracted by terrible AQ/PQ and I couldn't enjoy the movie without seeing the bad quality.
coldharbor likes this.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #27 of 34 Old 03-25-2020, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I wont pay for anything other than rental prices of 6 bux or so. back in the day I bought 500+ dvd's...not doing that again.
Hey torii,

My VHS collection was bumped by my Laserdisc collection was bumped by my DVD collection was bumped by my Blu-ray collection and now my 4K collection. Hell, I'm a collector. Remember the Ma&Pa Video Tape rentals popping up? (When original Star Wars was released on VHS, the local StereoDiscounters was selling for $180!!)As my collection of each succeeding format grew, I had to resort to backing up DVD and Blu-ray, 4k just too big. Now, my 4k UHD Disk collection continues to grow. The streaming Giants have improved, but unless you have a good fast internet provider and a WIRED cat 5, they can't compare to an Oppo UHD player and a 4K spinning Disk! (I had to donate most of my earlier formats due to running out of storage space)

Finally, when this COVID-19 business hit USA, I told my wife, the Movie Theater Business is going to have to start streaming...that was first mentioned about 10 years ago...or maybe longer.

Last we ventured into a Movie Theater, kids were crying, cell phones were copying films and a couple two seats over were making out.

That was our last trip to a Movie Theater and that's when I discovered and joined avsforum. It was then I bought my first Home projector and built a 90 inch DIY screen.
That was 5 projectors ago.

sgibson
coldharbor and torii like this.
post #28 of 34 Old 03-26-2020, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Yeah these prices are non starters IMO, and it will only drive piracy in fact all those titles offered by Universal are on the net and in the same q....

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #29 of 34 Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yeah these prices are non starters IMO, and it will only drive piracy in fact all those titles offered by Universal are on the net and in the same q....
The average person doesn't pirate, they wait for redbox.
Zookster likes this.

post #30 of 34 Old 03-26-2020, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
Hey torii,

My VHS collection was bumped by my Laserdisc collection was bumped by my DVD collection was bumped by my Blu-ray collection and now my 4K collection. Hell, I'm a collector. Remember the Ma&Pa Video Tape rentals popping up? (When original Star Wars was released on VHS, the local StereoDiscounters was selling for $180!!)As my collection of each succeeding format grew, I had to resort to backing up DVD and Blu-ray, 4k just too big. Now, my 4k UHD Disk collection continues to grow. The streaming Giants have improved, but unless you have a good fast internet provider and a WIRED cat 5, they can't compare to an Oppo UHD player and a 4K spinning Disk! (I had to donate most of my earlier formats due to running out of storage space)

Finally, when this COVID-19 business hit USA, I told my wife, the Movie Theater Business is going to have to start streaming...that was first mentioned about 10 years ago...or maybe longer.

Last we ventured into a Movie Theater, kids were crying, cell phones were copying films and a couple two seats over were making out.

That was our last trip to a Movie Theater and that's when I discovered and joined avsforum. It was then I bought my first Home projector and built a 90 inch DIY screen.
That was 5 projectors ago.

sgibson
If the drive-ins were still around the crying babies and the making out would be there.
sgibson likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
blu-ray , the invisible man

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page