STRONG WiFi but cannot stream..... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 2 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By head_unit
  • 1 Post By hal2626
  • 1 Post By hal2626

post #1 of 19 Old 04-06-2020, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
STRONG WiFi but cannot stream.....

4000 sq. ft. 2 story house. 3 AC1750 extenders. Netgear Nighthawk 2.4/5 bands - Speed 92 mbps Fiber Optic cable.

New Samsung 82" that is 25 ft. from router always streams very well. Strong signal 5 bands. LG OLED 65" 50 ft. away is "iffy" - sometimes it does stream and some times it does not. 2.4 seems to work a bit more of the time. Evenings are worse. I move the extenders around and I MIGHT get lucky. Always shows great max. signal of 5 bands.

Here is my main concern. Downstairs is my home theater. 118" screen - Epson 5030U projector. New Denon receiver with latest and greatest Roku. STRONG 5 band signal. Was kicking butt for months. Now performance is greatly reduced. Occasionally I can stream during the day. 2.4 or 5 mhz does not seem to make much difference. Extender is located within 10 feet of the Roku.

Question: Since I am getting 5 bands (Excellent) signal strength at all three locations would I be wasting my time and money by buying a different mesh extender setup in the hope that for some unknown reason streaming might commence. I have a load of money invested in my home theater and it would be nice to be able to use it a bit more. Cable channels and Blu-Ray is great but Netflix etc. would be nice as well. Could the problem simply be that there is massive evening use on the streaming services in prime time? If that is the case, then why does my Sammy (near the router) ALWAYS stream fantastically?

Thanks so much for any help that you may offer. The WAF is going waaaaay down since she is very disappointed when we go down to watch a movie and it will not work......HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-06-2020, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2626 View Post
4000 sq. ft. 2 story house. 3 AC1750 extenders. Netgear Nighthawk 2.4/5 bands - Speed 92 mbps Fiber Optic cable.

New Samsung 82" that is 25 ft. from router always streams very well. Strong signal 5 bands. LG OLED 65" 50 ft. away is "iffy" - sometimes it does stream and some times it does not. 2.4 seems to work a bit more of the time. Evenings are worse. I move the extenders around and I MIGHT get lucky. Always shows great max. signal of 5 bands.

Here is my main concern. Downstairs is my home theater. 118" screen - Epson 5030U projector. New Denon receiver with latest and greatest Roku. STRONG 5 band signal. Was kicking butt for months. Now performance is greatly reduced. Occasionally I can stream during the day. 2.4 or 5 mhz does not seem to make much difference. Extender is located within 10 feet of the Roku.

Question: Since I am getting 5 bands (Excellent) signal strength at all three locations would I be wasting my time and money by buying a different mesh extender setup in the hope that for some unknown reason streaming might commence. I have a load of money invested in my home theater and it would be nice to be able to use it a bit more. Cable channels and Blu-Ray is great but Netflix etc. would be nice as well. Could the problem simply be that there is massive evening use on the streaming services in prime time? If that is the case, then why does my Sammy (near the router) ALWAYS stream fantastically?

Thanks so much for any help that you may offer. The WAF is going waaaaay down since she is very disappointed when we go down to watch a movie and it will not work......HELP!
Please see my post in the other thread.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-07-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:

FWIW, I have the Netgear Orbi Mesh system with one wired satellite (upstairs) and one WiFi-only satellite (upstairs as well but at the opposite end). Coverage is excellent throughout our 3500 sq. ft. home (two stories) and on our 1/2 acre property. The entertainment systems are hardwired so we aren't limited to the vagaries of WiFi but all of our other WiFi-connected devices (about 13 at any one given time) are fast and reliable at any time of the day or night.
SuperFist likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-07-2020, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
FWIW, I have the Netgear Orbi Mesh system with one wired satellite (upstairs) and one WiFi-only satellite (upstairs as well but at the opposite end). Coverage is excellent throughout our 3500 sq. ft. home (two stories) and on our 1/2 acre property. The entertainment systems are hardwired so we aren't limited to the vagaries of WiFi but all of our other WiFi-connected devices (about 13 at any one given time) are fast and reliable at any time of the day or night.
Thank you so much. I will definitely look into that setup!
post #5 of 19 Old 04-07-2020, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Quote:
Have you ever tried any of the Powerline Adapters? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=powerline...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Back when I had terribly slow DSL, they were the only way we were able to stream, compared to wifi. They have their place.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-07-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Have you ever tried any of the Powerline Adapters? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=powerline...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Back when I had terribly slow DSL, they were the only way we were able to stream, compared to wifi. They have their place.

Powerline adapters can work but they are totally dependent upon the quality of the house wiring, taps, location, etc. Certainly worth a try.
Deja-vue and mr266 like this.

post #7 of 19 Old 04-07-2020, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Nope, not going to work.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-07-2020, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Powerline adapters can work but they are totally dependent upon the quality of the house wiring, taps, location, etc. Certainly worth a try.
Uh,,,,yes, that's how they work. I wouldn't have suggested them if it wasn't worth trying. Thanks for your seconding my suggestion.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-07-2020, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
5 bands (Excellent) signal strength at all three locations
Means nothing, I had great signal and all kinds of problems. Kept getting a tech out, they finally found a miswire upstream in their neighborhood box. Now, to be clear:
- One TV streams fine, one so-so, one pretty bad?
- How about laptops etc?
- Any possibility to hardwire?
MRAYB likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-07-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Uh,,,,yes, that's how they work. I wouldn't have suggested them if it wasn't worth trying. Thanks for your seconding my suggestion.
Relax. I was just trying to help the OP in case he didn't know/understand what power line adapters were and thought your suggestion was not helpful.

post #11 of 19 Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Relax. I was just trying to help the OP in case he didn't know/understand what power line adapters were and thought your suggestion was not helpful.
Very relaxed and chilling outside under the beautiful moonlight.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-09-2020, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for your help. Gonna try this first. Will report back soon.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MRAYB likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-09-2020, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
May be worth a try Ordered this for now Thanks for your help. Gonna try this first. Will report back soon.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MRAYB likes this.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-12-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
May be worth a try Ordered this for now Thanks for your help. Gonna try this first. Will report back soon.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The AC3000 is the mesh system that I have and it works extremely well, at least in our setup. The WiFi dedicated back channel works fine but if you can hard wire them that's much better.

post #15 of 19 Old 04-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 478
I'm a former Netgear Orbi RBK50 user. I don't claim to know what or how this happened to mine but I had the one router plus one satellite setup and it started 3.5 years ago strong. May be that time caught up with it. The 2.4G output was dropping connections and factory reset and WiFi analytics wasn't helping that.

Not that the Asus ZenWifi XT8 beats the latest Orbi WiFi 6 router. And not that setup went without a hitch. But this Asus is WiFi 6 and price is more reasonable and does what the Orbi RBK50 couldn't do for me, even when the Orbi was new. This Asus router was sold out but showing price drop when I found it in stock again at Best Buy. I even got the express shipping because the Orbi could be longer hold a WiFi connection with my Logitech Harmony hubs. Though I had a BB remind me when in stock again, I was seeing complaints Best Buy would remind but nothing available. I kept checking and got lucky to find it before any reminder came.

I couldn't place my Orbi nodes where I wanted them but I could with this Asus. So far, I'm pleased though I do believe updates are needed to improve app and increase mesh function. Room for improvement... but surpassing that of my Orbi AC mesh system.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by brotony; 04-15-2020 at 02:39 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-17-2020, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
I'm a former Netgear Orbi RBK50 user. I don't claim to know what or how this happened to mine but I had the one router plus one satellite setup and it started 3.5 years ago strong. May be that time caught up with it. The 2.4G output was dropping connections and factory reset and WiFi analytics wasn't helping that.

Not that the Asus ZenWifi XT8 beats the latest Orbi WiFi 6 router. And not that setup went without a hitch. But this Asus is WiFi 6 and price is more reasonable and does what the Orbi RBK50 couldn't do for me, even when the Orbi was new. This Asus router was sold out but showing price drop when I found it in stock again at Best Buy. I even got the express shipping because the Orbi could be longer hold a WiFi connection with my Logitech Harmony hubs. Though I had a BB remind me when in stock again, I was seeing complaints Best Buy would remind but nothing available. I kept checking and got lucky to find it before any reminder came.

I couldn't place my Orbi nodes where I wanted them but I could with this Asus. So far, I'm pleased though I do believe updates are needed to improve app and increase mesh function. Room for improvement... but surpassing that of my Orbi AC mesh system.

Bought this and it WORKS! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #17 of 19 Old 04-17-2020, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Can concur - the Orbi setup works well
post #18 of 19 Old 04-18-2020, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwtenor View Post
Can concur - the Orbi setup works well
Routers may last 3 to 5 years. 3.5 years for me but not without issues and moving base and satellite a few times. My Orbi system went through the original power adapters kept going with the equivalent replacement adapters built to last longer. But the WiFi got weak over time. Months of dropping my Harmony hubs WiFi connection before I tired of it. Everyone at home at the same time was really beginning to show its prime had passed.

Given what I saw my 2.4G devices doing, connecting to the wrong node and going back and forth between router and satellite like nuts, if I could get the Harmony hub connected to the right node and it would stay there; it remained connected for weeks at a time before the madness started again. Googled the issue and found way more complaints that I'd like to see- just about Harmony hub not staying connected to Orbi. Many were faulting Netgear for the firmware approach; I did find workarounds but also noted alternatives others were choosing. I've gotten too accustomed to automatic updates to go back to pushing updates of a different developer again. I gave up and moved on.

The Asus nodes of my ZenWifi XT8 went where I originally wanted the Orbi nodes. Devices connect logically. WiFi is better inside and outside than before. My Orbi did start strong but placement was always an issue if I'm honest. I wouldn't say the Asus is much better. The firmware offers a few more flexible settings, if needed. But everything I wanted is not there yet, it's working better but also is a work in progress. When it comes to WiFi, there may not be a perfect router or mesh system. I still prefer Ethernet where possible and use MoCa (Ethernet over coax) for the mesh backhaul and expanding Ethernet coverage.

post #19 of 19 Old 04-20-2020, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 815
I don;t do mesh, but I had from a Netgear R8500 in the basement to cover the first floor and an Archer C7 in the upstairs office to cover the first floor, both wired. I eventually wired my main home theater gear as wireless was inconsistent. I recenlty put in 2 Ubiquiti UniFi Nano HDs, one upstairs center of house and the other on main floor in a closet (again both POE wired) and I am amazed at the coverage of these. My wif's work laptop has WiFi 6 chipset and through 2 walls 15 feet from the closets WAP gets a 1.1gb connection with speed tests. This BS of 5GHz fading through walls I am not seeing. can drive 300-400mb speedtests from 2 floors away and through many walls. The biggest week spot is the back of my basement which has a drop ceiling and I suspect all the metal wires and rails hurt it, but I still can pull 100mbs form 2 floors away. Our 2 year old iPads can get 300-400mbs in many areas and rarely drop below 200 mbs in the weaker sections of home. These WAPs can mesh as well, not sure how well they do that, but these are incredible, they are only 2 band and 5GHz goes to 1733 and has 4x4 MU-MIMO, no WiFi 6, but with these speeds I don't think I care.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page