Does the player hardware really matter? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-10-2020, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the player hardware really matter?

Current equipment:

Projector - JVC rs2000 / NX7

Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR686

Player - 2017 nvidia shield

Media - unRaid NAS

I have been wondering if the media player actually makes a difference in quality for both video and audio. The shield I have plays great and I use kodi as a frontend and mainly rip my movies as 4k remux stored on the NAS. I have been thinking about getting Zappiti Pro 4K HDR but am wondering if the playback device actually makes a difference in video quality. I am also wondering if audio quality would be different as well.

Here is my thinking - Audio quality shouldn't change since it is all being passed through so I am not sure what difference a new player would make. I think that video quality may change since the hardware may be doing some processing but am not sure.

Any thoughts from people that actually know? It's hard to find any real answers after searching and most posts are just "shield in the best device out there" without providing anything other than opinion and justification for having purchased one.

A few benefits of the Zappiti is dual output for audio and video - I can pass audio directly to receiver and video directly to projector. The Zappiti supposedly plays full UHD iso rips which would be nice and save time for me. Kodi full menu support kind of really sucks.

Disclaimer: I don't stream so the netflix etc benefits of shield doesn't apply to me. My budget is 1000 USD for a new player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-10-2020, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshipley View Post
Current equipment:

Projector - JVC rs2000 / NX7

Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR686

Player - 2017 nvidia shield

Media - unRaid NAS

I have been wondering if the media player actually makes a difference in quality for both video and audio. The shield I have plays great and I use kodi as a frontend and mainly rip my movies as 4k remux stored on the NAS. I have been thinking about getting Zappiti Pro 4K HDR but am wondering if the playback device actually makes a difference in video quality. I am also wondering if audio quality would be different as well.

Here is my thinking - Audio quality shouldn't change since it is all being passed through so I am not sure what difference a new player would make. I think that video quality may change since the hardware may be doing some processing but am not sure.

Any thoughts from people that actually know? It's hard to find any real answers after searching and most posts are just "shield in the best device out there" without providing anything other than opinion and justification for having purchased one.

A few benefits of the Zappiti is dual output for audio and video - I can pass audio directly to receiver and video directly to projector. The Zappiti supposedly plays full UHD iso rips which would be nice and save time for me. Kodi full menu support kind of really sucks.

Disclaimer: I don't stream so the netflix etc benefits of shield doesn't apply to me. My budget is 1000 USD for a new player.

An htpc running madVR will take your rips to a whole new level....

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-13-2020, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 260
What David said - HTPC running madVR is what you are looking for.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-13-2020, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will give madvr a go as I do have a spare 2080ti laying around I can use. Are most people just using kodi as the frontend on the htpc?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-18-2020, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
An htpc running madVR will take your rips to a whole new level....
...Curious about this also since just moved from 1080 plasma to 4k oled and am looking for robust 4k options for media server and direct play connected to TV via HDMI

was thinking either NAS w SSD or m2 or HTPC - price will be the same except don't know about:will HTPC be able to produce better PQ, at the cost of less storage flexibility

can I have madVR on NAS?

QNAP NAS

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iABEgLlGPD_BwE

intel NUC

https://www.amazon.com/NUC8I7HNK-Qua...07PQTG131?th=1
post #6 of 7 Old 04-18-2020, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I'm way out of my expertise area here, but I think you would want a PC capable of running madVR (there's a thread about madVR computer builds - it's not a cheap machine) and a NAS for storage of your movie files (or you could have a bunch of big HDDs in you HTPC).

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 377
You don’t need to spend so much on a player. I recommend taking a look at an Amlogic based box (ie: Odroid N2) running Coreelec. It might not be MadVR based quality but not enough difference to justify the hundreds of dollars in price difference. The Odroid N2 has excellent PQ/AQ, better than the Shield (at least in PQ). The Shields PQ isn’t all that great (I have 2 so I know).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page