Talk to me about Shield Pro Plex Server Capabilities - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stephen Hopkins

post #1 of 19 Old 04-24-2020, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Talk to me about Shield Pro Plex Server Capabilities

Hey guys, can anyone give me some details and impressions about the Shield Pro's Plex server capabilities?

I see you can plug an external HD in, does the Shield have disc power management features? And if so, is there usually a large delay as the drives spin up?

How does one access the drive connected to the Shield? Does it mount like a regular network share or what?

Lastly, what is the server capability of the Shield? Does it have the chops to stream/transcode multiple videos at the same time? Can it playback a native 4K video while also transcoding a 4K video down to 1080p for playback on another player in another room?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-18-2020, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Hey guys, can anyone give me some details and impressions about the Shield Pro's Plex server capabilities?

I see you can plug an external HD in, does the Shield have disc power management features? And if so, is there usually a large delay as the drives spin up?

How does one access the drive connected to the Shield? Does it mount like a regular network share or what?

Lastly, what is the server capability of the Shield? Does it have the chops to stream/transcode multiple videos at the same time? Can it playback a native 4K video while also transcoding a 4K video down to 1080p for playback on another player in another room?

Thanks.

Just got the Shield Pro and enabled the Plex Server. Have you been able to find a forum (here or elsewhere) where you can ask questions and get answers? I note the info on the Plex site regarding the Shield is at least a couple of years old (predating the Pro) and some of the settings referenced on the Shield don't exist any longer.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-18-2020, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 111
This may be a better option for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-18-2020, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
This may be a better option for you.

Thanks. I'll have a look. I did manage to get it going and am in the process of transferring the files from my NAS over to it.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-18-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Quoted: 6755 Post(s)
Liked: 4860
for more than 1 or 2 people viewing at once, you guys need a real server to handle plex. In some cases, tt does a lot of transcoding, especially for remote streams, and a mini-android device isn't the choice for that.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-18-2020, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
for more than 1 or 2 people viewing at once, you guys need a real server to handle plex. In some cases, tt does a lot of transcoding, especially for remote streams, and a mini-android device isn't the choice for that.

I don't have that issue. One viewer only. And so far, the Shield has played back every file I've thrown at it without issue. Unlike a 'real server', it has a very powerful graphics chip that handles transcoding pretty much seamlessly when needed. This is my third Plex Server. First one was an older PC running Windows 7 then 10. Second was a TerraMaster NAS that worked OK, but struggled with some file formats and transcoding. We'll see how this one does when it's all loaded with files.

Last edited by DougDingle; 06-19-2020 at 09:54 AM.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-18-2020, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 802
I can only speak of my experience, but with the exception of a resent issue I'm currently having with the Database file size, I've was running the PMS on my Shield for two years. The Shield itself as a Plex client will not Trancode anything, so that's a given.

My Mobile Devices, whether it be my phone or tablet, will transcode either the audio, or video, depending on the mobile device's capabilities. Streaming from multiple devices didn't have a negative affect on the performance of the PMS of my Shield. Running 4k Streams on multiple devices which also involved transcoding of either audio or video did not cause any problems with the Shield. For remote streaming, my only shortcoming was my own internet speed with only 3 megs up, but adjusting the stream to 720p for remote streaming fixed the buffering issue.

Audio playback of Plex via Android Auto in my car was probably the biggest surprise for me. It outperformed the Plex Media Server when it was installed on my NAS.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #8 of 19 Old 06-18-2020, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I can only speak of my experience, but with the exception of a resent issue I'm currently having with the Database file size, I've was running the PMS on my Shield for two years. The Shield itself as a Plex client will not Trancode anything, so that's a given.

My Mobile Devices, whether it be my phone or tablet, will transcode either the audio, or video, depending on the mobile device's capabilities. Streaming from multiple devices didn't have a negative affect on the performance of the PMS of my Shield. Running 4k Streams on multiple devices which also involved transcoding of either audio or video did not cause any problems with the Shield. For remote streaming, my only shortcoming was my own internet speed with only 3 megs up, but adjusting the stream to 720p for remote streaming fixed the buffering issue.

Audio playback of Plex via Android Auto in my car was probably the biggest surprise for me. It outperformed the Plex Media Server when it was installed on my NAS.
Thanks for the info. From what I have seen here so far, PMS on the Shield Pro will work out fine for me. Single viewer stream, no UHD so far, no remote streaming, everything hard wired to the router. Only annoying thing thus far is how slow the file transfer speed is from the NAS to the PMS drive - between 25 and 30 Mb/s. But once the initial setup is done, I won't be moving a ton of files at a time, so I can live with that. Setup was surprisingly easy, although this is my third PMS device - first was an old PC, next was a TerraMaster SAN, and now the Shield.

The thing I haven't mastered yet (mostly laziness on my part, I think) is how to use folders or groups or something to separate my content into more usable categories. I've always dumped everything into one folder and had just one library, but that is starting to get unwieldy. I need to look into that further. I once created subdirectories under the main directory on the drive holding the content and moved some videos into them, then created additional libraries pointing to the subdirectories, but that turned out badly and was a mess, with the Plex client on an Amazon Fire box creating many weird 'virtual folders' that were empty (but their number kept growing), and all kinds of other nonsense as well. I killed that concept, and since I could get to the content I wanted, I stopped thinking about it. That was like two years ago on my first installation on a PC. I should do some reading and try again.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-19-2020, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Quoted: 6755 Post(s)
Liked: 4860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
I don't have that issue. One viewer only. And so far, the Shield has played back every file I've thrown at it without issue. Unlike a 'real server', it has a very powerful graphics chip that handles transcoding pretty much seamlessly when needed. This is my third Plex Server. First one was an older PC running Windows 7 then 10. Second was a TerraMaster SAN that worked OK, but struggled with some file formats and transcoding. We'll see how this one does when it's all loaded with files.
FYI, that very powerful graphics chip is sort of a cross between a 1030 and 1050. It's similar to a 1050 with 1gb less ram and 1/2 the teraflops. So I'd not really call it very powerful at all. When you compare it to something like the firetv or apple tv, it is extremely powerful. When you compare it to a modern pc running a cheap graphics card, its really not powerful at all.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-19-2020, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
FYI, that very powerful graphics chip is sort of a cross between a 1030 and 1050. It's similar to a 1050 with 1gb less ram and 1/2 the teraflops. So I'd not really call it very powerful at all. When you compare it to something like the firetv or apple tv, it is extremely powerful. When you compare it to a modern pc running a cheap graphics card, its really not powerful at all.

I did mean in comparison to other streaming boxes (and most low end NAS devices). I have the lifetime PlexPass, and have enabled 'hardware help' for transcoding when needed. My relatively inexpensive TerraMaster NAS is just good enough to use as a Plex Server, and it occasionally struggles with some content when called upon to transcode. So far, the Shield has not had an issue with anything. Having run a moderately powerful older PC as a dedicated Plex Server for a while, I'm pretty happy so far with the Shield - it has turned out to be a pretty good streaming device, with a lot less noise, less power consumption, less non-stop network access for the endless Win10 calls to Microsoft for updates and to tell them what I had for lunch and how many times I flushed today.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-20-2020, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How do I make Shield PS drive show up on the network?

I've got my Plex Server running on the Shield Pro, and my Plex clients can access the content across the network, but I can't get its drive to appear in any other machine's Windows 10 Network display.

With my previous two Plex Server setups, an older Win10 PC and a TerraMaster NAS, the PS drives appeared in my desktop machine's network display, and I was able to transfer files back and forth from the desktop machine to the Plex drive using Explorer and other file utilities.

The Plex Server in the Shield does show up on my desktop's network as a 'media player' device, but clicking on that just launches the Windows Media Player, which can't find any content on the drive (not that that interests me in any case).

Am I doing something wrong in the PS or Shield setup? Is there a way to make the PS drive 'shareable' so it shows up on various machines on the same network?
post #12 of 19 Old 06-26-2020, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Go into the Shield's settings for network file sharing and make note of the IP address, username, and password. Then manually map a network drive using those details on your Window's PC. After doing this, there's only been a time or two in the last few years that I haven't been able to see the mapped drive on my Windows PC (usually after a Shield update) and I've had to restart the Shield to restore access to the drive.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Hub Ultimate | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | Disney+ | Spotify
post #13 of 19 Old 06-26-2020, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Go into the Shield's settings for network file sharing and make note of the IP address, username, and password. Then manually map a network drive using those details on your Window's PC. After doing this, there's only been a time or two in the last few years that I haven't been able to see the mapped drive on my Windows PC (usually after a Shield update) and I've had to restart the Shield to restore access to the drive.

Thanks for responding. I managed to figure it out a day after I posted here.

Can you tell me how you have your content arranged? Do you use folders on the drive, or create libraries in the Plex Server app's web interface, or both? I currently have all my videos dumped into the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder (per something I read on the Nvidia Plex Server support site), and it is becoming quickly an unwieldy mess.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-27-2020, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just have folders for "Movies", "TV Shows", "Kids Movies", and "Kids TV Shows" within the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder and an associated Library for each in Plex. Within those folders, I have sub-folders for each Movie or TV show (and further sub-folders for each season of a TV Show) and follow the Plex recommended naming convention. For movies, I only follow the naming convention on the folder name and usually don't worry about the files themselves, except for special features. I do it all within the file structure in Explorer from my Windows PC and then Plex figures the rest out when it scrapes the libraries.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/nam...e-media-files/

https://support.plex.tv/articles/nam...tv-show-files/
DougDingle likes this.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Hub Ultimate | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | Disney+ | Spotify
post #15 of 19 Old 06-28-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just have folders for "Movies", "TV Shows", "Kids Movies", and "Kids TV Shows" within the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder and an associated Library for each in Plex. Within those folders, I have sub-folders for each Movie or TV show (and further sub-folders for each season of a TV Show) and follow the Plex recommended naming convention. For movies, I only follow the naming convention on the folder name and usually don't worry about the files themselves, except for special features. I do it all within the file structure in Explorer from my Windows PC and then Plex figures the rest out when it scrapes the libraries.

Thanks. I'll have a look.

I was thinking along similar lines, but the last time I tried doing something like that a few years back with the server running on an old PC, the Plex client running on an Amazon Fire box generated pages of strangely named empty folders, and there were more every time I ran the client. I couldn't find anything without some real effort. It was a mess.

I'll create a few folders, move some content there, and see how it looks in the client.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-28-2020, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So I have my main folder (NVIDIA_SHIELD) in which all my movies were dumped, with a MOVIES library.

I then made a folder below that (COMEDIES), and moved the comedies into that folder, and made a COMEDY library using the COMEDIES folder.

After Plex was done indexing, the comedy movies I physically moved to the COMEDIES folder/COMEDY library continued to also appear in the original MOVIES library. That was unexpected. What I want is once I create a new folder and move content to it, then create a library for it, that it no longer clutter up the original MOVIES library. Is that possible? It's like Plex is indexing the subfolders under the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder or something. Do I have to remove all the content, create the structures, then move content back to the Plex drive to make that happen the way I would like?
post #17 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would get your movies completely organized how you want them in your file structure FIRST, then start making your Plex libraries. It is indexing the subfolder, so you should probably creat all your category folders under Movies first, then if there is anything left creat an "Uncategorized" folder. I did something similar with "Movies" and "Kids Movies", but I have "Kids Movies" at the same level as "Movies", not as a sub-folder to it.

post #18 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would get your movies completely organized how you want them in your file structure FIRST, then start making your Plex libraries. It is indexing the subfolder, so you should probably creat all your category folders under Movies first, then if there is anything left creat an "Uncategorized" folder. I did something similar with "Movies" and "Kids Movies", but I have "Kids Movies" at the same level as "Movies", not as a sub-folder to it.

Thanks. Took me a while to figure out that the only folder on the Plex drive that can be written to (or created top level) while the drive is attached and active is NVIDIA_SHIELD and those subfolders under it. I've got a couple of ideas I want to try, and I'm gonna keep playing, using some of your suggestions.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-30-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quick question: Do you have a Plex Library created for the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder, or only for the folders under it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page