AVS Forum banner

Dune HD Pro 4K II (RTD1619) Thread

189K views 1K replies 121 participants last post by  astage 
#1 · (Edited)
I think its time to open up a new thread for the next generation of Dune HD Players.

This player features the latest RTD1619DD SoC (that is the version without support for DV), which main differences to the prior generation are possible Dolby Vision (most likely single layer) and HDR10+ integration as well as VP9 profile 2 support for YouTube 4K HDR playback. It also comes with Android 9 in contrast to version 7 on the previous generation.

Review:

Short video of GUI:

Boot Time:

Official website for more information:
Dune HD Pro 4K II

Improvements over the previous model Pro 4K

RTD1619 media processor.
Dune HD Pro 4K II is the world's first media player on the newest RTD1619 media processor – the newest, the most advanced and the most powerful media processor from Realtek.

VP9 profile 2 and YouTube 4K HDR support.
The media player supports not only the old VP9 video codec (which does not support HDR), but also the newest VP9 profile 2, which supports HDR and which is used in YouTube for 4K HDR content. Most other media players do not support it.

+77% faster CPU.
The media player has a 6-core ARM A55 CPU – which is +77% faster than 4-core ARM A53 used in the previous model Pro 4K.

+50% faster GPU.
The media player has the new GPU Mali-G51 – which is +50% faster than Mali T-820 used in the previous model Pro 4K.

4 GB RAM.
This is 2x more than in the previous model Pro 4K, and gives better performance for the most heavy apps.

32 GB flash.
This is 2x more than in the previous model Pro 4K, and gives more space for most heavy apps and internal storage.

Android 9.
For Android applications, Dune HD Pro 4K II uses a newer Android version 9.0 instead of Android 7.1 used in the previous model Pro 4K. This provides better support for the newest Android apps.

2x USB 3.0 ports.
Dune HD Pro 4K II has two USB 3.0 ports. The previous model Pro 4K has only one USB 3.0 port.

Other key advantages over competitors

Best-in-class full Blu-ray menu support.
Realtek-based Dune HD media players have the best-in-class support for playback of Blu-ray disc images in full Blu-ray menu mode, including full support for BD-J, BD4K, BD3D, HD audio, obfuscated playlists and seamless branching. Blu-ray images can be played in any format (BD ISO file and BDMV folder) and from any source - local drive (USB, SATA) or network drive (SMB, NFS).

100% smooth Blu-ray playback (full support for seamless branching).
Dune HD media players are the only Realtek-based players with a fully-functional robust Blu-ray playback engine, which implements 100% complete support for “seamless branching”. This ensures smooth playback of the entire movie w/o any audio/video interruptions, contrary to all competitors.

Flicker-free framerate/resolution switching.
Dune HD media players implement its own advanced flicker-free approach for automatic framerate and resolution switching, which performs video mode switching before the start of file playback (rather than after). Most other Realtek-based media players perform video mode switching after the start of file playback, which causes unpleasant flickering.

Professional-grade controls for video output parameters.
Advanced setup controls allow professional users and installers to fine tune the video output parameters in the best way for a particular setup. In particular, it is possible to configure what chroma subsampling modes should be used for each individual HDMI video mode. The majority of competing media player models do not have such controls.

Widevine L1 and premium video services.
Support for Widevine Level 1 DRM (the most advanced DRM level) makes it possible to watch premium online video services with HD and Ultra HD video quality. Media players w/o Widevine Level 1 support can only output Standard Definition video in such services.

Linux-based Dune HD OS.
The media player runs a unique hybrid OS which consists of a Linux-based Dune HD OS (to ensure stable operation and smooth media playback) and Android OS (to support Android applications), which run simultaneously.

Dune HD Android Playback Accelerator technology.
This unique technology intellectually manages the resources of Android OS to minimize the influence of Android OS on the media playback engine and ensure smooth and high-quality video and audio playback.

Dune HD ecosystem.
Based on open Dune HD SDK and APIs, various TV-optimized applications, plugins, extensions, GUI skins, collection management solutions, integrations with home automation systems are available via official Dune Store, 3-party vendors, and from the huge user's community.

Dune HD UI.
The famous Dune HD UI, developed and polished during more than 12 years, specially optimized for the use on TV screens and operation via a standard remote control, tuned for the best possible usability, makes it easy and convenient to use the media player.

Dune HD movies organizer and movies encyclopedia.
“My Collection” function organizes a user's movies collection into a nice looking catalog. A comprehensive movies encyclopedia provides the information about hundreds of thousands of movies with detailed descriptions, posters, cross-links between movies and persons, trailers, direct links to online video services, etc. Advanced file browser automatically recognizes movies.

Dune HD mobile app.
The unique Dune HD mobile app (Dune Control) for iOS and Android mobiles devices provides full access to all functions of Dune HD media player in a very convenient and powerful way. It fully replaces the standard IR remote control, allows browsing and choosing the media content directly on your mobile device (the menu shown on the mobile device mirrors the menu shown on the TV screen), and includes Now Playing section for convenient media playback control.

Smart home.
The media player provides the powerful IP Control interface and has a lot of options for integration into Smart Home and Home Automation systems, such as Control4 and Crestron.

Proven history of software updates during a very long period.
Dune HD is known for its reputation to listen to user's feedback and provide software updates for many years. For example, for some old models, software updates with additional functions are provided for more than 10 years already. This is possible due to the unique "single code base" approach, which means that firmware for all Dune HD models is based on the same software (continuously developed and improved according to user's feedback).

Other key features

HD audio support.
The media player can output HD audio to the A/V receiver.

Full 3D support.
Support for Side-by-side, Top-to-bottom and MVC (BD3D) formats ensures perfect playback of Full HD video in 3D.

External SATA port.
The media player has an external SATA port (data and power connectors) which can be used to directly connect an external SATA HDD to the media player (w/o the need to use a USB adapter), and enjoy the faster possible performance. It also can be used to connect an optical disc drive.

Optical disc drive support (USB and SATA).
You can connect an external USB or SATA optical disc drive to play media files and BD/DVD images from optical discs (not encrypted only).

Dual-band 802.11ac 2T2R Wi-Fi and 1Gbit Ethernet.
The media player is equipped with dual-band Wi-Fi supporting 802.11b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz + 5.0 GHz), with 2T2R support (double performance) and two external Wi-Fi antennas, which allows you to play a high-bitrate content through the air. The 1Gbit Ethernet port allows you to get maximum performance with a wired connection.

Built-in Bluetooth.
The built-in Bluetooth interface allows you to easily connect various remote controls, wireless keyboards, mice, joysticks, audio speakers, headphones, headsets and other devices.

Learning IR remote.
DUNE HD IR Remote with learning function is included.

#2 ·
Since I just got myself a 4K OLED TV I might start reviewing media players again. What are your thoughts?
Mate, that would be awesome - hope all is well with you.

Reactions: Sledgehamma
#4 ·
Great to see - the Dune HD Pro 4K has been been pretty much perfect for my needs of movie /audio playback ( have zero interest in apps etc) and also something not mentioned much is it also makes great basic server as well with its abundant fast attached storage-
only feature that is missing for me would be multi channel sacds ISO playback - not sure if that is something they will implement thou -

#9 ·
Great to see - the Dune HD Pro 4K has been been pretty much perfect for my needs of movie /audio playback ( have zero interest in apps etc) and also something not mentioned much is it also makes great basic server as well with its abundant fast attached storage-
only feature that is missing for me would be multi channel sacds ISO playback - not sure if that is something they will implement thou -

I agree the HD Pro 4K is good, but for me its no better than the BD Base 3D, and for smaller TVs no better than the BD Prime 3.0. To put this in context apart from the cinema/sitting room all other Dunes output to Yamaha soundbars, and the cinema room is limited by only a 5.1 speaker setup driven by a Yamaha A820.

The Android side is a pointless distraction, so in essence the biggest improvement I can see for normal 5.1 cinemas is the smaller form factor.

#5 ·
Well... lets see if they’ve sorted out the 10bit 444 framerate issues and FF/REW usability.

After owning 4 Dune players and 2 in the 4k generation (Solo and Pro) will we finally get a player that works properly?

Dune really should offer discounts to those who have invested in the past hardware like a trade in value or something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I hope it will play 4K/60, it's my main beef with the pro.

HDR10+ and DV won't bring me much, I plan to buy an Envy that should do as well by itself.

#10 ·
Initially they were quoting HDR10+ support but they seem to have pulled back from that claim?

#11 ·
The chip is certainly capable of HDR10+ and there are no licencing issues as there are with Dolby Vision (which it also supports), so we'll have to wait and see when the box gets released.

I don't think this box has gone into production yet, so it's still very early days.

#13 · (Edited)
@Manni01 & @zombie10k

I promised a mention when Dune starts to move again - we haven't seen any hardware yet, but you have to assume that finally with the RTD1619, Dune should be able to finally put their framerate woes to bed.

#28 ·
@Manni01

Hi Manni - sent a mention earlier in the thread but missed the 01 off the end of your username so someone else will be wondering why I mentioned them! I just changed it but not sure whether that would notify you or not...

Anyway - this new Dune is out, supposedly 10th June, and I'd expect it to fix the frame rate issue of the previous SOC.

I'm sure someone with a Vertex will confirm once it's in the wild...

Mark
Thank you so much, I had seen this new model mentioned in a couple places but had missed this thread, so thanks for the heads up!

Much appreciated :)

#15 ·
#16 ·
Yes, bizarrely, the 1395 is an old cut down version of the 1295 designed specifically for streaming OTT boxes. Not really sure why Dune are pulling that one out the bag at this stage.

#27 ·
@Manni01

Hi Manni - sent a mention earlier in the thread but missed the 01 off the end of your username so someone else will be wondering why I mentioned them! I just changed it but not sure whether that would notify you or not...

Anyway - this new Dune is out, supposedly 10th June, and I'd expect it to fix the frame rate issue of the previous SOC.

I'm sure someone with a Vertex will confirm once it's in the wild...

Mark

Reactions: Manni01
#35 ·
Do we know yet if this new model is supposed to fix the bogus HDR metadata issue in the the Dune 4K Pro? Or is it too early to call?
If I manage to get my hands on one I will report back on this (as well as the frame rate and banding of course).

#39 ·
Dune also has a STB with AV1 support called "Dune HD AV1 4K", which additionally features Dolby Vision and HDR10+:

Key Features:
  • The world's first STB with support for the latest AV1 video codec
  • Exceptionally high picture quality due to the latest Realtek RTD1319 media processor
  • Support for the latest video standards: 4Kp60, AV1, VP9 Profile 2, HEVC 10-bit, HDMI 2.1, HDR10+, DolbyVision*
  • 3 internal antennas for maximum Wi-Fi (802.11ac 2T2R) and Bluetooth performance
  • USB 3.1 port, 1 Gbit Ethernet port*
  • Advanced DRM technology: Widevine Level 1, Verimatrix*
  • Android 10.0 (AOSP / Android TV)
Furthermore, Dune is listed as a HDR10+ adopter:

And since the SoC supports it anyway I think its highly likely that they will support it on the Pro II as well.

#40 ·
Dune also has a STB with AV1 support called "Dune HD AV1 4K", which additionally features Dolby Vision and HDR10+:

Furthermore, Dune is listed as a HDR10+ adopter:

And since the SoC supports it anyway I think its highly likely that they will support it on the Pro II as well.
Interesting - where's that aimed at? Quad core rather than Hexa-core, G31 GPU and lots of strangely "optional features"...

#41 ·
Just noticed Futeko have the Realbox in stock to ship on Monday, so just ordered one to have a look at.
@Manni01 - I'll let you know :)

#43 ·
Just noticed Futeko have the Realbox in stock to ship on Monday, so just ordered one to have a look at.

@Manni01 - I'll let you know :)
I'm sure it's just a typo on the Futeko listing but they say the player has HDR+, which is the fake simulated HDR mode on Samsung televisions. Not the HDR10+.

#47 ·
Not sure if they're still around - just went to duneplayer.com and my antivirus kicked off about JS:CardStealer-AC[trj] and even google cached pages don't work??

Just tried on a non antivirus VMWare box and it tells me their certificate expired.

Works on a windows 7 VMware box, but it kind of looks abandoned...

#50 · (Edited)
Will be very interesting to see what other models Dune, Zappiti and Zidoo come up with. After using infuse on the ATV 4K its really hard to find an equivalent media center for me. But there are more and more HDR10+ web-dls appearing so I need a player with that as well.
FYI: I contacted my old contact from Dune (was the European distributor in the netherlands) but he doesn't work there anymore. Haven't received an answer regarding a review device. Might try contacting futeko as well.
@markswift2003: Is the mediacenter of Zidoo in UHD resolution or is it 1080p?

#51 ·
Will be very interesting to see what other models Dune, Zappiti and Zidoo come up with. After using infuse on the ATV 4K its really hard to find an equivalent media center for me. But there are more and more HDR10+ web-dls appearing so I need a player with that as well.
FYI: I contacted my old contact from Dune (was the European distributor in the netherlands) but he doesn't work there anymore. Haven't received an answer regarding a review device. Might try contacting futeko as well.

@markswift2003: Is the mediacenter of Zidoo in UHD resolution or is it 1080p?
It's 1080.

I think your best bet is Futeko - I've used them a couple of times and they ship out very quickly - it'd only be a couple of days over to you.

Reactions: Sledgehamma
#61 ·
It's actually the same CPU as the 1295 but a lesser GPU, not that it matters.

Given the Dune linux shell, the underlying OS isn't really important and the lack of IO isn't either if you're using network storage.

I'm expecting the same performance as the Pro 4K (so slightly less than the 1296 Zidoos) with the benefit of correct frame rate and HDR SEI passthrough...

We'll see ;)

#69 ·
I have already ordered the real box 4K (will probably do the same with the 1619 model too) but it is strange that it seems to have the exact same playback capabilities as the 1619 model.
There should be more differences between them aside from a faster soc, I/Os and the remote.

I also expected DV support from this (1619) one.
Zidoo implied one when asked.

If this is the case, Dune must not expect major sales.

From my understanding, the unit will be shipped with no Netflix app pre installed.

#70 ·
#74 ·
Good morning.
Sorry for the stupid question, since I am passionate about the Kodi interface, but I would like to take advantage of the native player, does there not be an App Wrapper like in the HiMedia Q10 Pro box?
Thanks