Dune HD Pro 4K II (RTD1619) Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #1 of 83 Old 04-25-2020, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Dune HD Pro 4K II (RTD1619) Thread

I think its time to open up a new thread for the next generation of Dune HD Players.

This player features the latest RTD1619 SoC, which main differences to the prior generation are possible Dolby Vision (most likely single layer) and HDR10+ integration as well as VP9 profile 2 support for YouTube 4K HDR playback. It also comes with Android 9 in contrast to version 7 on the previous generation.

Interestingly Dune doesn't say anything regarding Dolby Vision and HDR10+ whereas Zidoo explicitly mention it on for their X Player, which is based upon the same SoC.

Since I just got myself a 4K OLED TV I might start reviewing media players again. What are your thoughts?

Official website for more information:
https://www.dune-hd.com/products/dune-hd-pro-4k-ii

Quote:

Improvements over the previous model Pro 4K

RTD1619 media processor.
Dune HD Pro 4K II is the world's first media player on the newest RTD1619 media processor – the newest, the most advanced and the most powerful media processor from Realtek.

VP9 profile 2 and YouTube 4K HDR support.
The media player supports not only the old VP9 video codec (which does not support HDR), but also the newest VP9 profile 2, which supports HDR and which is used in YouTube for 4K HDR content. Most other media players do not support it.

+77% faster CPU.
The media player has a 6-core ARM A55 CPU – which is +77% faster than 4-core ARM A53 used in the previous model Pro 4K.

+50% faster GPU.
The media player has the new GPU Mali-G51 – which is +50% faster than Mali T-820 used in the previous model Pro 4K.

4 GB RAM.
This is 2x more than in the previous model Pro 4K, and gives better performance for the most heavy apps.

32 GB flash.
This is 2x more than in the previous model Pro 4K, and gives more space for most heavy apps and internal storage.

Android 9.
For Android applications, Dune HD Pro 4K II uses a newer Android version 9.0 instead of Android 7.1 used in the previous model Pro 4K. This provides better support for the newest Android apps.

2x USB 3.0 ports.
Dune HD Pro 4K II has two USB 3.0 ports. The previous model Pro 4K has only one USB 3.0 port.

Other key advantages over competitors

Best-in-class full Blu-ray menu support.
Realtek-based Dune HD media players have the best-in-class support for playback of Blu-ray disc images in full Blu-ray menu mode, including full support for BD-J, BD4K, BD3D, HD audio, obfuscated playlists and seamless branching. Blu-ray images can be played in any format (BD ISO file and BDMV folder) and from any source - local drive (USB, SATA) or network drive (SMB, NFS).

100% smooth Blu-ray playback (full support for seamless branching).
Dune HD media players are the only Realtek-based players with a fully-functional robust Blu-ray playback engine, which implements 100% complete support for “seamless branching”. This ensures smooth playback of the entire movie w/o any audio/video interruptions, contrary to all competitors.

Flicker-free framerate/resolution switching.
Dune HD media players implement its own advanced flicker-free approach for automatic framerate and resolution switching, which performs video mode switching before the start of file playback (rather than after). Most other Realtek-based media players perform video mode switching after the start of file playback, which causes unpleasant flickering.

Professional-grade controls for video output parameters.
Advanced setup controls allow professional users and installers to fine tune the video output parameters in the best way for a particular setup. In particular, it is possible to configure what chroma subsampling modes should be used for each individual HDMI video mode. The majority of competing media player models do not have such controls.

Widevine L1 and premium video services.
Support for Widevine Level 1 DRM (the most advanced DRM level) makes it possible to watch premium online video services with HD and Ultra HD video quality. Media players w/o Widevine Level 1 support can only output Standard Definition video in such services.

Linux-based Dune HD OS.
The media player runs a unique hybrid OS which consists of a Linux-based Dune HD OS (to ensure stable operation and smooth media playback) and Android OS (to support Android applications), which run simultaneously.

Dune HD Android Playback Accelerator technology.
This unique technology intellectually manages the resources of Android OS to minimize the influence of Android OS on the media playback engine and ensure smooth and high-quality video and audio playback.

Dune HD ecosystem.
Based on open Dune HD SDK and APIs, various TV-optimized applications, plugins, extensions, GUI skins, collection management solutions, integrations with home automation systems are available via official Dune Store, 3-party vendors, and from the huge user's community.

Dune HD UI.
The famous Dune HD UI, developed and polished during more than 12 years, specially optimized for the use on TV screens and operation via a standard remote control, tuned for the best possible usability, makes it easy and convenient to use the media player.

Dune HD movies organizer and movies encyclopedia.
“My Collection” function organizes a user's movies collection into a nice looking catalog. A comprehensive movies encyclopedia provides the information about hundreds of thousands of movies with detailed descriptions, posters, cross-links between movies and persons, trailers, direct links to online video services, etc. Advanced file browser automatically recognizes movies.

Dune HD mobile app.
The unique Dune HD mobile app (Dune Control) for iOS and Android mobiles devices provides full access to all functions of Dune HD media player in a very convenient and powerful way. It fully replaces the standard IR remote control, allows browsing and choosing the media content directly on your mobile device (the menu shown on the mobile device mirrors the menu shown on the TV screen), and includes Now Playing section for convenient media playback control.

Smart home.
The media player provides the powerful IP Control interface and has a lot of options for integration into Smart Home and Home Automation systems, such as Control4 and Crestron.

Proven history of software updates during a very long period.
Dune HD is known for its reputation to listen to user's feedback and provide software updates for many years. For example, for some old models, software updates with additional functions are provided for more than 10 years already. This is possible due to the unique "single code base" approach, which means that firmware for all Dune HD models is based on the same software (continuously developed and improved according to user's feedback).

Other key features

HD audio support.
The media player can output HD audio to the A/V receiver.

Full 3D support.
Support for Side-by-side, Top-to-bottom and MVC (BD3D) formats ensures perfect playback of Full HD video in 3D.

External SATA port.
The media player has an external SATA port (data and power connectors) which can be used to directly connect an external SATA HDD to the media player (w/o the need to use a USB adapter), and enjoy the faster possible performance. It also can be used to connect an optical disc drive.

Optical disc drive support (USB and SATA).
You can connect an external USB or SATA optical disc drive to play media files and BD/DVD images from optical discs (not encrypted only).

Dual-band 802.11ac 2T2R Wi-Fi and 1Gbit Ethernet.
The media player is equipped with dual-band Wi-Fi supporting 802.11b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz + 5.0 GHz), with 2T2R support (double performance) and two external Wi-Fi antennas, which allows you to play a high-bitrate content through the air. The 1Gbit Ethernet port allows you to get maximum performance with a wired connection.

Built-in Bluetooth.
The built-in Bluetooth interface allows you to easily connect various remote controls, wireless keyboards, mice, joysticks, audio speakers, headphones, headsets and other devices.

Learning IR remote.
DUNE HD IR Remote with learning function is included.

Last edited by Sledgehamma; 04-25-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 04-25-2020, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post

Since I just got myself a 4K OLED TV I might start reviewing media players again. What are your thoughts?
Mate, that would be awesome - hope all is well with you.
Sledgehamma likes this.

Zidoo Z9S | Nvidia Shield Pro | HDFury Vertex² | 32TB mirrored storage
Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
A pair of slippers, a comfy sofa and a glass of 16 year old single malt
post #3 of 83 Old 04-25-2020, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 Old 04-25-2020, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Great to see - the Dune HD Pro 4K has been been pretty much perfect for my needs of movie /audio playback ( have zero interest in apps etc) and also something not mentioned much is it also makes great basic server as well with its abundant fast attached storage-
only feature that is missing for me would be multi channel sacds ISO playback - not sure if that is something they will implement thou -

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #5 of 83 Old 04-25-2020, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Dune HD Pro 4K II (RTD1619) Thread

Well... lets see if they’ve sorted out the 10bit 444 framerate issues and FF/REW usability.

After owning 4 Dune players and 2 in the 4k generation (Solo and Pro) will we finally get a player that works properly?

Dune really should offer discounts to those who have invested in the past hardware like a trade in value or something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 83 Old 04-25-2020, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I hope it will play 4K/60, it's my main beef with the pro.

HDR10+ and DV won't bring me much, I plan to buy an Envy that should do as well by itself.

Robert
post #7 of 83 Old 04-25-2020, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumus View Post
Well... lets see if they’ve sorted out the 10bit 444 framerate issues and FF/REW usability.

After owning 4 Dune players and 2 in the 4k generation (Solo and Pro) will we finally get a player that works properly?

Dune really should offer discounts to those who have invested in the past hardware like a trade in value or something...

there is great used market for unhappy owners -can probably get more than you paid for it - don't see that very often

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #8 of 83 Old 04-25-2020, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumus View Post

I'd fully expect so, the 1296 fixed these issue out of the box, so no reason to think that the 1619 wouldn't.

Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
post #9 of 83 Old 04-26-2020, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Great to see - the Dune HD Pro 4K has been been pretty much perfect for my needs of movie /audio playback ( have zero interest in apps etc) and also something not mentioned much is it also makes great basic server as well with its abundant fast attached storage-
only feature that is missing for me would be multi channel sacds ISO playback - not sure if that is something they will implement thou -

I agree the HD Pro 4K is good, but for me its no better than the BD Base 3D, and for smaller TVs no better than the BD Prime 3.0. To put this in context apart from the cinema/sitting room all other Dunes output to Yamaha soundbars, and the cinema room is limited by only a 5.1 speaker setup driven by a Yamaha A820.

The Android side is a pointless distraction, so in essence the biggest improvement I can see for normal 5.1 cinemas is the smaller form factor.
post #10 of 83 Old 04-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Initially they were quoting HDR10+ support but they seem to have pulled back from that claim?

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBone, ATV 4K, Node 2i, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome/Seismic 110, Firestick 4K, Panasonic TX55GZ950B
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite, Dune HD RealBox 4K, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Anti Mode 8033
post #11 of 83 Old 04-28-2020, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
Initially they were quoting HDR10+ support but they seem to have pulled back from that claim?
The chip is certainly capable of HDR10+ and there are no licencing issues as there are with Dolby Vision (which it also supports), so we'll have to wait and see when the box gets released.

I don't think this box has gone into production yet, so it's still very early days.

post #12 of 83 Old 04-28-2020, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
The chip is certainly capable of HDR10+ and there are no licencing issues as there are with Dolby Vision (which it also supports), so we'll have to wait and see when the box gets released.

I don't think this box has gone into production yet, so it's still very early days.
I agree it is just that they initially had HDR10+ listed as a feature on their page but reference has now been removed. Anyway with only one HDMI out that is of limited use to most except to those with the very latest receivers that support it.

7.1 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBone, ATV 4K, Node 2i, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome/Seismic 110, Firestick 4K, Panasonic TX55GZ950B
In both Setups Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, Harmony Elite, Dune HD RealBox 4K, Cambridge Audio CXUHD, Anti Mode 8033
post #13 of 83 Old 04-30-2020, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Manni01 & @zombie10k

I promised a mention when Dune starts to move again - we haven't seen any hardware yet, but you have to assume that finally with the RTD1619, Dune should be able to finally put their framerate woes to bed.
zombie10k and Manni01 like this.

Last edited by markswift2003; 05-02-2020 at 02:35 AM.
post #14 of 83 Old 04-30-2020, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Dune and Futeko are now listing another new box, the Dune HD Realbox 4K, it seems like it's ready to ship now from Dune themselves, and ships on May 15th from Futeko. Runs on the RTD1395 processor, with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage.

https://www.futeko.com/products/MP105.php

https://www.dune-hd.com/products/dun...e-hd-interface
post #15 of 83 Old 04-30-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwort93 View Post
Dune and Futeko are now listing another new box, the Dune HD Realbox 4K, it seems like it's ready to ship now from Dune themselves, and ships on May 15th from Futeko. Runs on the RTD1395 processor, with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage.
Same processor as the Dune Pro 4K, if you have one, no reason to change.

Robert
post #16 of 83 Old 04-30-2020, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, bizarrely, the 1395 is an old cut down version of the 1295 designed specifically for streaming OTT boxes. Not really sure why Dune are pulling that one out the bag at this stage.

post #17 of 83 Old 04-30-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, bizarrely, the 1395 is an old cut down version of the 1295 designed specifically for streaming OTT boxes. Not really sure why Dune are pulling that one out the bag at this stage.

That is very good to know, so it won't have the fix for passing through the MaxCLL/MaxFALL values that the RTD1296 has?
post #18 of 83 Old 04-30-2020, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is very good to know, so it won't have the fix for passing through the MaxCLL/MaxFALL values that the RTD1296 has?
I honestly don't know, but given the 1295 doesn't do it, I'd have to assume not.

post #19 of 83 Old 04-30-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't know, but given the 1295 doesn't do it, I'd have to assume not.
Doing some more research, it doesn't seem to simply be a cut down 1295. Dune mentions support for VP9 Profile 2 for Youtube 4K HDR support in the RTD1395, which as far as I know, the RTD1295/RTD1296 does not support. I also see news articles that mention the newer 1395 can support HDR10+ and Dolby Vision (If licensed, which I doubt dune will do). I wouldn't be shocked if this processor does have the fixed MaxCLL/MaxFALL passthrough, given that it does seem to be newer than the RTD1296.
post #20 of 83 Old 04-30-2020, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Doing some more research, it doesn't seem to simply be a cut down 1295. Dune mentions support for VP9 Profile 2 for Youtube 4K HDR support in the RTD1395, which as far as I know, the RTD1295/RTD1296 does not support. I also see news articles that mention the newer 1395 can support HDR10+ and Dolby Vision (If licensed, which I doubt dune will do). I wouldn't be shocked if this processor does have the fixed MaxCLL/MaxFALL passthrough, given that it does seem to be newer than the RTD1296.
The 1395 first started appearing in 2018 in cheap IPTV boxes as a cheaper OTT version of the 1295 - same CPU but a Mali 420 vs the Mali 820 GPU of the 1295 and less i/o, but it remains to be seen whether MaxCCL/FALL are supported.

My money's on no, but we'll have to wait and see...

post #21 of 83 Old 05-01-2020, 01:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

https://www.futeko.com/products/MP105.php

Futeko are listing the Pro 4K II now as well - £279 (!), ships 10th June.

post #22 of 83 Old 05-01-2020, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Futeko are listing the Pro 4K II now as well - £279 (!), ships 10th June.

You thinking about a purchase and review?
post #23 of 83 Old 05-01-2020, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
You thinking about a purchase and review?
Not at that price

Actually - it's £269...

It'll be interesting how much the Z9X comes out at - that has Dolby Vision (and HDR10+) too so will presumably include a premium for Dolby licencing.

post #24 of 83 Old 05-01-2020, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not at that price

Actually - it's £269...

It'll be interesting how much the Z9X comes out at - that has Dolby Vision (and HDR10+) too so will presumably include a premium for Dolby licencing.

Some talk on here about the chip used. Am I missing something, but isn't this based on the RTD1619 chip. Earlier in the thread talk was of RTD1395?
post #25 of 83 Old 05-01-2020, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Some talk on here about the chip used. Am I missing something, but isn't this based on the RTD1619 chip. Earlier in the thread talk was of RTD1395?
The Pro II uses the 1619.

The 1395 is confusingly a later, but cheaper version of the 1295 designed for OTT boxes. That's used in the new Dune "Realbox" which I think is pitched at the same level as the previous Neo.

This from 2018:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/09...td1395-tv-box/

post #26 of 83 Old 05-01-2020, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Pro II uses the 1619.

The 1395 is confusingly a later, but cheaper version of the 1295 designed for OTT boxes. That's used in the new Dune "Realbox" which I think is pitched at the same level as the previous Neo.

This from 2018:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/09...td1395-tv-box/

You guys need to keep to the subject of the thread . Doesn't take much to confuse an old-timer
markswift2003 likes this.
post #27 of 83 Old 05-02-2020, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Manni01

Hi Manni - sent a mention earlier in the thread but missed the 01 off the end of your username so someone else will be wondering why I mentioned them! I just changed it but not sure whether that would notify you or not...

Anyway - this new Dune is out, supposedly 10th June, and I'd expect it to fix the frame rate issue of the previous SOC.

I'm sure someone with a Vertex will confirm once it's in the wild...

Mark
Manni01 likes this.

post #28 of 83 Old 05-02-2020, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Quoted: 5867 Post(s)
Liked: 6406
Quote:
@Manni01 & @zombie10k

I promised a mention when Dune starts to move again - we haven't seen any hardware yet, but you have to assume that finally with the RTD1619, Dune should be able to finally put their framerate woes to bed.
Quote:
@Manni01

Hi Manni - sent a mention earlier in the thread but missed the 01 off the end of your username so someone else will be wondering why I mentioned them! I just changed it but not sure whether that would notify you or not...

Anyway - this new Dune is out, supposedly 10th June, and I'd expect it to fix the frame rate issue of the previous SOC.

I'm sure someone with a Vertex will confirm once it's in the wild...

Mark
Thank you so much, I had seen this new model mentioned in a couple places but had missed this thread, so thanks for the heads up!

Much appreciated
markswift2003 likes this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro/Diva
post #29 of 83 Old 05-12-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6182
I see that Dune is sold out of the unit for $299. Any other ideas for buying that are not $330+?

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
post #30 of 83 Old 05-12-2020, 11:09 AM
ahr

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I see that Dune is sold out of the unit for $299. Any other ideas for buying that are not $330+?
Sold out is fake.
Not even one unit was sold.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page