MakeMKV, Xbox One, Kodi Pi, Sony TV, Oh My... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By groove93
  • 1 Post By groove93
  • 2 Post By MuseChaser

post #1 of 9 Old 05-17-2020, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
MakeMKV, Xbox One, Kodi Pi, Sony TV, Oh My...

I have no IDEA where to post this, as it involves so many different devices and questions.. I hope this is OK...

Setup -

Kodi 18.6 (I think.. Leia) running on a Pi 3+ - audio output set to HDMI, w/ passthrough enabled. Dolby and DTS receiver capabilities selected in menu structure, but the options for TrueHD are not shown on my screens.... ?

Xbox One S - Dolby app installed, HDMI bitstream and "Dolby Home Theater" audio output options selected.

Both boxes connected to an Onkyo TX-NR797 via Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI cables, and the "HDMI:Enhanced" option activated on the receiver.

Receiver connected via the HDMI/ARC ports to a Sony XBR-75x900F television.

Confirmed working Dolby Atmos on Bluray discs played both on Xbox and separate Bluray player, as well as streaming via Netflix, Disney, and Amazon Prime Video (depending upon streaming device used... don't get me started...)

I own "Blade Runner: director's cut" on bluray, which has a TrueHD sountrack, which plays back fine from the disc. Ripped the disc w/ MakeMKV twice.. once with ONLY the TrueHD track, and then once with the TrueHD track and the backup dolby digital backuop 5.1 track.

The only device I have that will play the rip with the TrueHD track is my el cheapo homebuilt Kodi. A Roku Ultra returns "can not play file.. may be corrupt." The Xbox and media player app built into the Sony TV both only play the version with the DD 5.1 track.

Any ideas why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-17-2020, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 771
HDMI Arc is not capable of handling Lossless Audio such as Dolby TrueHD or DTSMA. You'll have to update to E-Arc for that (newer tv). Your Sony TV's built-in app is not capable of handling Lossless Audio as well.
The Xbox One S/X cannot stream Lossless Audio. Only the Blu Ray Player can playback Lossless Audio Formats.

Remember that Dolby Atmos via Xbox One and the Built-in Apps on your TV are the Lossy Variants of Dolby Digital Plus, not the Lossless variant of Dolby TrueHD.
CalJake likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I understand that TrueHD or other lossless formats are not available via streaming services, but didn't realize that they could not be played back when housed on a home server by an Xbox One S or the Sony X900F series (or other Android televisions). Like I said, my extremely barebones $35 Pi 3+ running Kodi handles the TrueHD soundtrack fine... just can't keep up w/ the video via wifi. Haven't tried a wired connection to the Pi. If that box can do it, one would think that $2400 TV or $300 Xbox could, not withstanding the obvious limitations of using ARC as the TV's audio output.

If you would be so kind, other than Bluray and UHD/4K Bluray discs, how else can one take advantage of TrueHD and DTS-MA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 177
KODI dev told me via Twitter two years ago that there was no way to get lossless audio on the Xbox One X due to Microsoft restrictions. Maybe things will change with the Series X.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Thanks for the reply. I understand that TrueHD or other lossless formats are not available via streaming services, but didn't realize that they could not be played back when housed on a home server by an Xbox One S or the Sony X900F series (or other Android televisions). Like I said, my extremely barebones $35 Pi 3+ running Kodi handles the TrueHD soundtrack fine... just can't keep up w/ the video via wifi. Haven't tried a wired connection to the Pi. If that box can do it, one would think that $2400 TV or $300 Xbox could, not withstanding the obvious limitations of using ARC as the TV's audio output.

If you would be so kind, other than Bluray and UHD/4K Bluray discs, how else can one take advantage of TrueHD and DTS-MA?
I have an Nvidia Shield that handles all of my 1:1 Rips which indludes Lossless Audio (passthrough to my Marantz AVR), using apps such as Plex, Kodi, or MrMC. IMO this device runs laps around my Xbox One X from a Media Player standpoint.
psuKinger likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #6 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:

As the previous poster suggested, I use nVidia Shield for this purpose. It'll bitstream the lossless audio to your AVR, via Plex or Kodi, whichever you prefer.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h w/ Marantz MM7055; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Polk Monitor 35B Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Kplisch RP-600m L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-24-2020, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I have an Nvidia Shield that handles all of my 1:1 Rips which indludes Lossless Audio (passthrough to my Marantz AVR), using apps such as Plex, Kodi, or MrMC. IMO this device runs laps around my Xbox One X from a Media Player standpoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
As the previous poster suggested, I use nVidia Shield for this purpose. It'll bitstream the lossless audio to your AVR, via Plex or Kodi, whichever you prefer.
Thank you both... picked up a Shield and, as you both said, it works wonderfully. All is well in audioland. Removed my Roku Ultra and the Pi3+ running Kodi.. neither are necessary anymore; the Shield does all they do and more, better, and faster. Wish I had bought one months ago.
groove93 and psuKinger like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-24-2020, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad to have helped. There's a dedicated forum for the 2019 Shield with a lot of information available.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...ew-remote.html

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #9 of 9 Old 05-25-2020, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Thank you both... picked up a Shield and, as you both said, it works wonderfully. All is well in audioland. Removed my Roku Ultra and the Pi3+ running Kodi.. neither are necessary anymore; the Shield does all they do and more, better, and faster. Wish I had bought one months ago.
Great! I bought my first one back in late 2015ish or early 2016, can't quite remember which... and they just work so well, they do everything so fast and snappy, that I just kept buying them. I've got one on pretty much every tv in the house now... but, like you, the search for a tool that would bitstream lossless audio was what first caused me to find it and try it.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h w/ Marantz MM7055; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Polk Monitor 35B Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Kplisch RP-600m L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page