Thinking Roku Ultimate - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2020, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thinking Roku Ultimate

See my configuration below. TiVo Bolt connected to HDP HDMI input (Only 1 on Denon). Does Roku require HDMI HDCP to operate? Can it be run into HDMI 1.3 port on Denon?

====================
TiVo Bolt VOX, Roamio & Minis
Denon 3808CI Receiver
Samsung BDES6000 DVD Player
Samsung HDTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-20-2020, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Yes for HDCP if you want to use anything other than YouTube.

As for HDMI 1.3, you can but don't expect getting any 4k contents.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Are you sure only one of the 3808CI's HDMI inputs is HDCP capable? That doesn't seem right...

Also, as mentioned before, HDMI 1.3 should be fine for 1080p video and the 3808CI should handle DD+ over HDMI just fine as well.

If you're already entrenched in TiVo infrastructure, you may want to look at the new Tivo Stream 4k. It's pretty impressive for a $50 device and runs on Android TV. It has some current bugs/limitations that should be addressed by software updates, but they're mostly related to Dolby Vision and Atmos which won't apply to you. It also doesn't currently integrate with your TiVo DVRs in the way a Mini would, but it seems that functionality is being considered and also may come as a later update (possibly letting you relocate your Bolt and ditch one of your Minis).

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-22-2020, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Are you sure only one of the 3808CI's HDMI inputs is HDCP capable? That doesn't seem right...

Also, as mentioned before, HDMI 1.3 should be fine for 1080p video and the 3808CI should handle DD+ over HDMI just fine as well.

If you're already entrenched in TiVo infrastructure, you may want to look at the new Tivo Stream 4k. It's pretty impressive for a $50 device and runs on Android TV. It has some current bugs/limitations that should be addressed by software updates, but they're mostly related to Dolby Vision and Atmos which won't apply to you. It also doesn't currently integrate with your TiVo DVRs in the way a Mini would, but it seems that functionality is being considered and also may come as a later update (possibly letting you relocate your Bolt and ditch one of your Minis).
First, thank you for your information. After having reread the manual, I think there was some confusion between markings for HDP and HDCP. I now believe that HDP stands for HIGH DEFINITION PLAYER and that all HDMI ports are 1.3a capable.

From the TiVo Forums, I seriously doubt the future capability of the TiVo Stream 4K since it is simply an Android TV box basically. TiVo has steadily moved out of the Cable TV support and I'm not going to hang my hat on any further integration of existing TiVO DVR hardware with the Stream. I may investigate Roku's 2020 Ultra box. Again, the courtesy of your reply is appreciated.

====================
Denon 3808CI Receiver
Samsung HDTV
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2020, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Yes for HDCP if you want to use anything other than YouTube.

As for HDMI 1.3, you can but don't expect getting any 4k contents.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thank you.

====================
Denon 3808CI Receiver
Samsung HDTV
post #6 of 6 Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAVRUser View Post
From the TiVo Forums, I seriously doubt the future capability of the TiVo Stream 4K since it is simply an Android TV box basically. TiVo has steadily moved out of the Cable TV support and I'm not going to hang my hat on any further integration of existing TiVO DVR hardware with the Stream. I may investigate Roku's 2020 Ultra box. Again, the courtesy of your reply is appreciated.
At $50, I'd take the TiVo Stream over a Roku Ultra as-is, but that's mostly just based on OS preference on my part. It also has a remote that can control your display if you're not already using something like a Harmony, etc. The possibility of future DVR integration might be a bonus in your situation but, as you said, not something to hang your hat on.

Also, if you do go the Roku route, I'm not sure there's anything the Ultra offers over the Stick+ other than a USB port, Ethernet, and customizable remote shortcuts. The Stick+ had been on sale for $39 at most retailers recently but is back up to regular price (Target still has refurbs for $45). If you don't plan on using Ethernet, the Stick+ is probably a better value.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page