Streaming 4K devices (use w Denon X1600) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-26-2020, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Red face Streaming 4K UHD devices (use w Denon X1600)

Hi all!

I've got an LG B9 55" OLED TV and a brand new Denon X1600H (with 2 KEF Q150 speakers as my first experience with an AVR/speakers!). I'm very new to this world, but the folks in the Audio section of AVSForum helped me get a great speaker setup I love!

Are there any special considerations for streaming 4K HDR Netflix? I currently use the native LG Smart TV apps for Netflix & Prime. I've upgraded my Netflix subscription to the premium UHD level and it looks great! I'd like to add Apple TV+ and Disney+, as well as HBO, but they're nice to have.

1) Is a dedicated streaming device needed?
In my reading, I saw that Smart TV apps used to be radically inferior in the content quality compared to a dedicated streaming device. Is this still the case? Shows like Our Planet (4K Dolby Vision) look great on Netflix with the app, but I don't know what I'm missing!

2) Amazon Fire Stick 4K vs. Roku Streaming Stick+?
My TV supports HDR and Dolby Vision. Saw that the Fire Stick has Dolby Vision (which is what UHD Netflix content is), Roku does not. Both support HDR. I was planning on getting an Apple TV 4K pending a new release/update this fall, so was mainly considering these $30-50 options for now. Advice? Am I correct that it makes sense to opt for the Fire Stick as it's got Dolby Vision?

3) Do I plug the streaming device into the TV or the AVR?
I've currently got eARC enabled, but can get an optical cable if that matters

4) Alexa & AVR?
I currently do not use any voice assistants, but am curious in exploring... I know the Denon X1600H supports Alexa if I were to get an Amazon Echo Dot. a) Would this allow me to switch on/off the TV, receiver, adjust volume, choose music (e.g. a Spotify song), etc.? b) Would this ALSO work with the Fire Stick? How is this different from the Fire's Alexa-enabled remote?

Any other considerations/advice? Keen to get recommendations and also learn more in order to deepen my understanding of the home theater world!

THANK YOU!

Last edited by Singapoodle; 05-26-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page