Putting 500 UHD discs onto a NAS? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 05-27-2020, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Putting 500 UHD discs onto a NAS?

Hey there,

I consider myself a pretty competent guy and can catch on pretty quickly, I just need a jumping-off point. I have 500 (and growing) 4K UHD discs that I would like to rip and transfer to a NAS, as well as almost 100 Blurays and 50 DVDs. I have an Nvidia Shield Pro coming today that will handle playback with Plex.

I've got $600 in credit on Rakuten's Storefront to spend if there's an option there I can get (looks like mostly Synology and QNAP models). According to QNAP's Storage Calculator, I'm looking at 30+ TB of storage needed for up to 1000 two hour-long Bluray discs. If I've done my research correctly, I don't need a NAS that does transcoding since the Shield Pro will do that for me, right?

I believe I can use MakeMKV to do the ripping. Will I need a seperate optical drive to do this? I only have an Acer Aspire 5 laptop and don't think its internal drive is capable of ripping such large disc files.

Gear in play, unsure if relevant:

Oppo 203
Marantz SR6011
LG C8 OLED

And soon, Epson 6050UB

Help me spend some money, please

The Studio | Planning Stages - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3155530-studio-semi-dedicated-theater.html
9.4.4 - JVC X790R - JBL 590/530/227C - PSA S3000i + S3600i + T18HT^2
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Apple TV 4K
400+ UHD and counting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-27-2020, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Ok,

Well, first you will need the storage. The sweet spot for hard drives these days is $15/TB. You can occasionally find WD Easystore 14TB and 12TB external drives in this range. You will pull them out of the external shell and install them into either a 6 or 8 bay Synology, QNAP or NETGEAR NAS. Those 3 brands are high quality and well supported.

If you want to copy UHD disks using your laptop, you will need to get either an
LG BE16NU50 (External, USB, Firmware: 1.01)
or
ASUS BW-16D1H-U A201 (External, USB, Manufactured 2015+, Firmware: A201)

If you can't find either of those drives with that firmware, you will need to purchase DVDFab UHD Drive tool https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-drive-tool...ackID=headmenu, which will downgrade your drives firmware to the necessary version.

If you use MakeMKV to rip, you will no longer have the full disk. You will be missing parts of the original including the ability to use DolbyVision. You may want to rip to an .iso container instead (full image copy), using DVDFab UHD Copy. DVDFab UHD Copy will also allow you to copy to an MKV container if you wish to only keep the main feature and no DolbyVision.

I only have 227 UHD but over 1,300 Blu-ray and DVD titles
aerodynamics likes this.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5

Last edited by mlknez; 05-27-2020 at 03:12 PM.
post #3 of 34 Old 05-27-2020, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I can tell you that the files can be quite large (20-50GB for a movie, up to 100GB+ for a full disc). I personally don't have many, but you need a fast NAS to be able to sustain that sort of data transfer without video stuttering.

The best way to do that is up your drive count. I'd recommend at least a 5 bay if not a 8 bay NAS. Either QNAP or Synology is fine. Don't bother running any of the fancy apps they have on them other than what you need to manage the box, you'll just slow it down.

I'd use a PC for getting the data off your purchased discs and into the NAS, but I'm probably not the best expert for UHD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 05-27-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 413
The Zappiti NAS has a built in UHD drive and will let you connect 3 more so you can rip 4 UHD disks at once. It takes 45 min per disk, so 500 is no small endeavor, and the Zappiti isn't exactly cheap ($3,500) without HDDs, and I'm not an expert so their may be cheaper ways to do this, but it seems like this is an easy plug and play option.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #5 of 34 Old 05-27-2020, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Stalking this thread for future use.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Jaurhead likes this.

Yamaha CX-A5200, Yamaha MX-A5000, Sanway DSP-6KQ, XBox One X, Panasonic DMP-UB900, NVIDIA Shield, D-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch, Caavo, Control Center, 2 x JBL Studio 590 Mains, 1 x JBL Studio 520C Center, 2 x JBL 580's side surrounds, 2 x JBL 530's rear surrounds, 4 x RSL C34E's ATMOS, 4 x Chane SBE-118's
post #6 of 34 Old 05-27-2020, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Ok,

Well, first you will need the storage. The sweet spot for hard drives these days is $15/TB. You can occasionally find WD Easystore 14TB and 12TB external drives in this range. You will pull them out of the external shell and install them into either a 6 or 8 bay Synology, QNAP or NETGEAR NAS. Those 3 brands are high quality and well supported.

If you want to copy UHD disks using your laptop, you will need to get either an
LG BE16NU50 (External, USB, Firmware: 1.01)
or
ASUS BW-16D1H-U A201 (External, USB, Manufactured 2015+, Firmware: A201)

If you can't find either of those drives with that firmware, you will need to purchase DVDFab UHD Drive tool https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-drive-tool...ackID=headmenu, which will downgrade your drives firmware to the necessary version.

If you use MakeMKV to rip, you will no longer have the full disk. You will be missing parts of the original including the ability to use DolbyVision. You may want to rip to an .iso container instead (full image copy), using DVDFab UHD Copy. DVDFab UHD Copy will also allow you to copy to an MKV container if you wish to only keep the main feature and no DolbyVision.

I only have 227 UHD but over 1,300 Blu-ray and DVD titles
I was all onboard to move forward until I read the bolded portion. That scares me - even with DVDFab, there's no way to preserve the full integrity of the disc? OR, did I misunderstand and you were only implying that DV would not be available on the digital ripped copy? If the case of the latter, that doesn't bother me.

Would this or this work as a NAS? Wayyy out of my budget, especially when I have to consider buying additional storage, but just trying to get a better understanding of needed components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson30 View Post
I can tell you that the files can be quite large (20-50GB for a movie, up to 100GB+ for a full disc). I personally don't have many, but you need a fast NAS to be able to sustain that sort of data transfer without video stuttering.

The best way to do that is up your drive count. I'd recommend at least a 5 bay if not a 8 bay NAS. Either QNAP or Synology is fine. Don't bother running any of the fancy apps they have on them other than what you need to manage the box, you'll just slow it down.

I'd use a PC for getting the data off your purchased discs and into the NAS, but I'm probably not the best expert for UHD.
I would literally only be using Plex on the Shield Pro to play media from the NAS. Fancy apps be damned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
The Zappiti NAS has a built in UHD drive and will let you connect 3 more so you can rip 4 UHD disks at once. It takes 45 min per disk, so 500 is no small endeavor, and the Zappiti isn't exactly cheap ($3,500) without HDDs, and I'm not an expert so their may be cheaper ways to do this, but it seems like this is an easy plug and play option.
I looked into Zappiti (read a review of it in a previous Sound & Vision mag, too), but quickly dismissed it when I saw the price. After seeing how heckin' expensive the alternative options are, Zappiti doesn't look so bad!

The Studio | Planning Stages - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3155530-studio-semi-dedicated-theater.html
400+ UHD and counting...
post #7 of 34 Old 05-28-2020, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

MKV containers lose the original integrity of the disk. They can pack back in all of the stuff that was on the original, but not with all of the navigation cues, etc. It is a good container format if you want to save some disk space and are not concerned with all of the "extras" that come with video disks these days. There is no way to currently correctly store and play back Dolby Vision in an MKV container. An .iso container can be an exact copy of the original. You CAN edit an .iso file to get rid of stuff you don't want. I believe that the Shield Pro can play .iso files, however you may want to double check. I use a computer as my digital media player.

Storage is fairly cheap these days and I prefer to use .iso files so that I can get any information that was on the original. .iso files can contain and be used for Dolby Vision playback.

The cost of 400 UHDs is expensive!

You will kick yourself later if you only choose a 4-bay NAS to start with! Example...
Lets say that you buy a 4-bay NAS and install 4 12TB drives.

Each 12TB drive formats out to about 11.25TB with overhead. They will use Raid5 protection. That means that your usable space is 33.75TB (RAID5 protection protects against a single drive failure but sacrifices one full drive worth of space). The average UHD .iso file is 75GB. That gives you roughly 450 UHDs. If you already have 400, that leaves you very little expansion. You will also find that you want to use your NAS for other media such as family pictures, videos, music, data backups of your computers, etc.

If you get the 6bay NAS that you linked to for 960 and each drive costs 200, you wind up with a $2100 investment for the optical drive, NAS and hard drives. Not too shabby and less expensive than the much smaller Zappiti.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB

Last edited by mlknez; 05-28-2020 at 09:23 AM.
post #8 of 34 Old 05-28-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
I looked into Zappiti (read a review of it in a previous Sound & Vision mag, too), but quickly dismissed it when I saw the price. After seeing how heckin' expensive the alternative options are, Zappiti doesn't look so bad!
I actually use a couple Zappiti Mini 4k HDR to play off my NAS (added the second for my wife now that she's cooped up at home due to Covid). I don't think they had the NAS box when I looked at it, but I started this journey with a Popcorn c200 and a very large DVD collection, and upgraded everything a few times from there
post #9 of 34 Old 05-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 255
OP, you have an oppo. Purchase the "jailbreak" software and rip to ISO. Maintains EVERYTHING, it is just like playing the disc. I have well over 300 UHD Iso's and my device plays them just like the actual disc. I do not have a pretty front end display for it, but I do not care about that. All I wanted was the best picture and sound..
post #10 of 34 Old 05-28-2020, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
MKV containers lose the original integrity of the disk. They can pack back in all of the stuff that was on the original, but not with all of the navigation cues, etc. It is a good container format if you want to save some disk space and are not concerned with all of the "extras" that come with video disks these days. There is no way to currently correctly store and play back Dolby Vision in an MKV container. An .iso container can be an exact copy of the original. You CAN edit an .iso file to get rid of stuff you don't want. I believe that the Shield Pro can play .iso files, however you may want to double check. I use a computer as my digital media player.

Storage is fairly cheap these days and I prefer to use .iso files so that I can get any information that was on the original. .iso files can contain and be used for Dolby Vision playback.

The cost of 400 UHDs is expensive!

You will kick yourself later if you only choose a 4-bay NAS to start with! Example...
Lets say that you buy a 4-bay NAS and install 4 12TB drives.

Each 12TB drive formats out to about 11.25TB with overhead. They will use Raid5 protection. That means that your usable space is 33.75TB (RAID5 protection protects against a single drive failure but sacrifices one full drive worth of space). The average UHD .iso file is 75GB. That gives you roughly 450 UHDs. If you already have 400, that leaves you very little expansion. You will also find that you want to use your NAS for other media such as family pictures, videos, music, data backups of your computers, etc.

If you get the 6bay NAS that you linked to for 960 and each drive costs 200, you wind up with a $2100 investment for the optical drive, NAS and hard drives. Not too shabby and less expensive than the much smaller Zappiti.
Thank you so much for your thorough response! You've given me a lot to think about. And yes, when I think about how much money I've spent on physical discs, and then look in the closet to see how many of those are still in their shrink wrap....I cry a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson30 View Post
I actually use a couple Zappiti Mini 4k HDR to play off my NAS (added the second for my wife now that she's cooped up at home due to Covid). I don't think they had the NAS box when I looked at it, but I started this journey with a Popcorn c200 and a very large DVD collection, and upgraded everything a few times from there
This is DEFINITELY one of those "I don't need it, I want it" upgrades. I started home theater-ing 5 years ago with a Monoprice HTIB and hand me down Vizio plasma. I had no idea where I'd be 5 years later, and 5 years from now? Yikes. But the journey is certainly fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
OP, you have an oppo. Purchase the "jailbreak" software and rip to ISO. Maintains EVERYTHING, it is just like playing the disc. I have well over 300 UHD Iso's and my device plays them just like the actual disc. I do not have a pretty front end display for it, but I do not care about that. All I wanted was the best picture and sound..
Replying to your PM now.

400+ UHD and counting...
post #11 of 34 Old 05-29-2020, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Some posters may not be aware that big happenings are under way with Makemkv. The current version absolutely does maintain Dolby Vision and Atmos.

See here for how close this is getting for straight forward playback: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewto...1937&start=555
SuperFist and pkinneb like this.
post #12 of 34 Old 05-29-2020, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post
Some posters may not be aware that big happenings are under way with Makemkv. The current version absolutely does maintain Dolby Vision and Atmos.

See here for how close this is getting for straight forward playback: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewto...1937&start=555
A future version... and you will have to rerip to get it. If you started with .iso you wouldn't.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

post #13 of 34 Old 05-29-2020, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
A future version... and you will have to rerip to get it. If you started with .iso you wouldn't.

1. "Future" version should be very soon. In the mean time, Plex will play back the HDR10 just fine.
2. Iso is much more difficult to deal with than .mkv. MKV has full video and audio quality as the disc without the hassle of dealing with menus and unneeded items.
3. The OP wants to use Plex to play back files. Plex cannot play .iso files.
4. Is there really an improvement anyway between DV and plain HDR10? Most disc reviewers don't seem to think so.
post #14 of 34 Old 05-29-2020, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post
1. "Future" version should be very soon. In the mean time, Plex will play back the HDR10 just fine.
2. Iso is much more difficult to deal with than .mkv. MKV has full video and audio quality as the disc without the hassle of dealing with menus and unneeded items.
3. The OP wants to use Plex to play back files. Plex cannot play .iso files.
4. Is there really an improvement anyway between DV and plain HDR10? Most disc reviewers don't seem to think so.
Some people LIKE menu's... :-) and don't find it a "hassle"...just saying. And as for being difficult to deal with, ummm no. I have a chinoppo media player that pulls from my NAS. ISO files are absolutely the way to go FOR ME. Untouched original quality video and audio, exactly as if playing from a disc. Everyone has ideas on how they want to do this. Some absolutely want a pretty front end to look at,.... poster walls and such, some want a way to make it all work with a device they already have, ie shield appletv etc. Some are uber concerned about storage size and are willing to compress audio and video to save hard drive space. (sacrilege!)) In the end a person needs to figure out what works FOR THEM. I just like to point out options that someone may not have thought of. In this case, the OP already has an Oppo so I thought the firmware idea might work better for him.
mlknez likes this.
post #15 of 34 Old 05-29-2020, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oppo is a great machine and the .iso playing firmware is a good solution.

post #16 of 34 Old 05-29-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4097 Post(s)
Liked: 3410
Quote:
I was all onboard to move forward until I read the bolded portion. That scares me - even with DVDFab, there's no way to preserve the full integrity of the disc? OR, did I misunderstand and you were only implying that DV would not be available on the digital ripped copy? If the case of the latter, that doesn't bother me.
MakeMKV is fully capable of ripping a full disc to folder structure, which your Oppo can already play.
post #17 of 34 Old 05-29-2020, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Nvidia Shield Pro ?

Maybe stupid quesiton but why you just dont install the Plex APP on your TV, Feed it with a network cable and use HDMI EARC to feed your audio to your AVR ? It will be the same quality and evertyhing ...
post #18 of 34 Old 05-29-2020, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumaqc View Post
Nvidia Shield Pro ?

Maybe stupid quesiton but why you just dont install the Plex APP on your TV, Feed it with a network cable and use HDMI EARC to feed your audio to your AVR ? It will be the same quality and evertyhing ...
Audio gets compressed andbecomes lossy using that method

post #19 of 34 Old 05-29-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
I did this with my Blu Ray collection (about 1700.)

Even though I had some good luck (Good LG USB drive, Purchased MakeMKV, acquired 5 NAS units with 4x4TB drives.) ... I"m bored and done with it.

I don't like knowing the whole system was running round the clock without much use. I had already started reducing what was on there because so much of my library is available from the internet. I am certainly downsizing my server now.

I made new media racks, alphabetized my collection, and just use the discs are intended. In fact with my kids home and online more I'm happy to be watching discs these days instead of streaming.

I am glad I bought MakeMKV and an LG USB drive. I decided never to back up UHD. I love it but these discs are NEW and properly cared for and I expect them to last quite a while now esp since the days of people wanting to borrow them are over.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-30-2020 at 03:21 AM.
post #20 of 34 Old 05-29-2020, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Audio gets compressed andbecomes lossy using that method

So Nvidia shield that send audio via HDMI to your DVR is not the same as your TV sending ... the same signal via HDMI to your DVR ?

Plex in APP in the TV will decode everything the same if it run in your TV vs your DVR ... its the same APP streaming from the same Plex server ... ?
post #21 of 34 Old 06-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Terry from San Jose

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Jaurhead, I scanned through this thread. I have put together a NAS system for my entertainment systems. I did some calculations and determined that it is not practical to rip my DVDs in anything but Standard Definition. SD = 5 GB/movie - 1000 movies = 5 TB, HD (Blu-Ray) = 25 GB/movie - 1000 movies = 25 TB. You will need a large NAS to harbor this data. Many of my movies were never released in Blu-Ray. Here is a copy of my post in another thread about my NAS set-up.
As most HT enthusiasts, we are always looking at how to upgrade our system(s). Except for the new Yamaha Preamp, my biggest upgrade was to integrate a Synology 1515+ NAS with 40 TB of hard drives into the system. I have a large collection of CDs and DVDs. I used to have two 200 disc Sony ES CD jukeboxes and one 200 disc Sony DVD jukebox as sources for my system. The two CD jukeboxes were great and worked for years. They had great sound. I actually still have them stored in a bin in my garage. The DVD jukebox was lower end and had difficulty handling the discs. Occasionally, it would only partially pull out a disc and swipe it across all the other discs like a card in a bicycle’s spokes. This would scratch up all the discs 😭. I know I sold it in a garage sale for $20. The real issue with the CD jukeboxes was the limited capacity. My coworker told me about his NAS. I saw great potential and he helped me pick out the Synology and the WD Red Hard Drives. This started a huge effort by me to rip all my CDs and DVDs to the NAS. I have spent many hours using DVPoweramp (for CDs) and MakeMKV (for DVDs) softwares Ripping my collection. I ripped all the CDs in WAV (CD quality) format. I did not want to compromise my music quality. I decided to rip the DVDs in standard definition. The blu-ray files took 5 times more data space than the SD files. Many DVDs are not available in blu-ray format. The video can be upconverted to 4K by the Yamaha and the TV. The soundtracks are still 5.1 Dolby digital and can be upconverted to Dolby ATMOS. My collection continues to grow as I rent or borrow media. I use a software called PLEX to organize all my media. All this media would be overwhelming and not practical without PLEX. This software is normally a yearly subscription but I invested in a life time membership on special for $120. I can play my media on both my HT systems using AppleTVs. I can play it on any internet connected PC, I-Pad or I-Phone with PLEX apps. I can also airdrop to the HT through the AppleTVs. This was a big investment, but my collection has great value and can be passed down to my family for generations. It would be illegal to try and sell this media because of copyright laws.
post #22 of 34 Old 06-07-2020, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMessers View Post
Jaurhead, I scanned through this thread. I have put together a NAS system for my entertainment systems. I did some calculations and determined that it is not practical to rip my DVDs in anything but Standard Definition. SD = 5 GB/movie - 1000 movies = 5 TB, HD (Blu-Ray) = 25 GB/movie - 1000 movies = 25 TB. You will need a large NAS to harbor this data. Many of my movies were never released in Blu-Ray. Here is a copy of my post in another thread about my NAS set-up.
As most HT enthusiasts, we are always looking at how to upgrade our system(s). Except for the new Yamaha Preamp, my biggest upgrade was to integrate a Synology 1515+ NAS with 40 TB of hard drives into the system. I have a large collection of CDs and DVDs. I used to have two 200 disc Sony ES CD jukeboxes and one 200 disc Sony DVD jukebox as sources for my system. The two CD jukeboxes were great and worked for years. They had great sound. I actually still have them stored in a bin in my garage. The DVD jukebox was lower end and had difficulty handling the discs. Occasionally, it would only partially pull out a disc and swipe it across all the other discs like a card in a bicycle’s spokes. This would scratch up all the discs 😭. I know I sold it in a garage sale for $20. The real issue with the CD jukeboxes was the limited capacity. My coworker told me about his NAS. I saw great potential and he helped me pick out the Synology and the WD Red Hard Drives. This started a huge effort by me to rip all my CDs and DVDs to the NAS. I have spent many hours using DVPoweramp (for CDs) and MakeMKV (for DVDs) softwares Ripping my collection. I ripped all the CDs in WAV (CD quality) format. I did not want to compromise my music quality. I decided to rip the DVDs in standard definition. The blu-ray files took 5 times more data space than the SD files. Many DVDs are not available in blu-ray format. The video can be upconverted to 4K by the Yamaha and the TV. The soundtracks are still 5.1 Dolby digital and can be upconverted to Dolby ATMOS. My collection continues to grow as I rent or borrow media. I use a software called PLEX to organize all my media. All this media would be overwhelming and not practical without PLEX. This software is normally a yearly subscription but I invested in a life time membership on special for $120. I can play my media on both my HT systems using AppleTVs. I can play it on any internet connected PC, I-Pad or I-Phone with PLEX apps. I can also airdrop to the HT through the AppleTVs. This was a big investment, but my collection has great value and can be passed down to my family for generations. It would be illegal to try and sell this media because of copyright laws.
I appreciate your insight and contribution here, TMessers.

However, I threw in the towel on this "media library" idea about a week ago. The couple of thou$and I would have spent on this project was put towards a new server rack, in-ceiling speakers, and some other practical goodies that I was in need of anyway. Plus, I realized there was a certain sense of satisfaction going to the closet to hand-pick a physical movie out from the collection. I imagine it's the feeling that bookworms have when they go to choose a novel from the shelf to read vs just flipping on a Kindle.

Call me old fashioned, I suppose.

Thanks, everyone!
Brian Hampton likes this.

400+ UHD and counting...
post #23 of 34 Old 06-08-2020, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Personally, I think you made the right choice.

If we want more UHD BDs we shouldn't be trying to hack the format.

It made sense when I had 2000 Blu Rays/DVDs but I'm not quite there yet with UHD BD and I wouldn't want that many hard drives grinding all night long for no reason either.

If I didn't want the discs I would just deal with the online versions. Steaming quality is junk compared to the discs so I don't imagine I will do that unless they realize UHD BD is cracked and they stop making them.

I personally, love UHD BD ... best format ever and I'll take them as is.

Yes, putting in the disc is something but having them alphabetized helps and I do other things to setup a movie anyway like zooming to fit the screen if the movie has 2.40:1. (edit- This statement confused someone .. I have a 2.40:1 screen and zoom to either 16:9 or 2.40:1 ... I wasn't talking about cropping.)

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 06-08-2020 at 06:37 AM.
post #24 of 34 Old 06-08-2020, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I wanted to say that I noticed ripped 4k discs dont have the same picture quality as the originals and they are full sized. (These are downloaded files) Im not sure if its the program they used or what but its that different that I dont bother downloading them anymore. So I guess the point im making is convert a few before investing to see what the quality is like. Although im guessing iso is the only way to ensure 100% video quality.

Last edited by stngray72; 06-08-2020 at 04:35 AM.
post #25 of 34 Old 06-08-2020, 08:47 PM
Terry from San Jose

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I appreciate your insight and contribution here, TMessers.

However, I threw in the towel on this "media library" idea about a week ago. The couple of thou$and I would have spent on this project was put towards a new server rack, in-ceiling speakers, and some other practical goodies that I was in need of anyway. Plus, I realized there was a certain sense of satisfaction going to the closet to hand-pick a physical movie out from the collection. I imagine it's the feeling that bookworms have when they go to choose a novel from the shelf to read vs just flipping on a Kindle.

Call me old fashioned, I suppose.

Thanks, everyone!
I have not added up the $ that I have spent on this media player. I don’t buy media any more. I rent it or go to the library. That saves me lots of $ and physical storage space. I put it together incrementally. I did it primarily for my music. That is why I ripped them in WAV format. The movie media collection is more for convenience. I have my CDs and DVDs stored in bins all over the house. It is not easy to just go and pick one out. They are not very organized. I used to have them organized and displayed. When my daughter was a toddler, she would mess them all up. I could not lock them up. My wife and I decided a media player would fit our life style better. Now I listen to music all day. I have been watching movies on my bedroom system. Mostly low quality ones. I am waiting for my new Yamaha CX-A5200 before I watch my higher quality movies. Without the convenience and organization of PLEX, I probably would not enjoy my media.

Good luck on your other endeavors.

Terry from San Jose
SuperFist likes this.
post #26 of 34 Old 06-09-2020, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked: 4882
I purchased an 8 bay Synology NAS, and have used MakeMKV and 3 different drives to rip my movies (about 500 movies so far). Am using a Nvidia Shield running Plex on it (and on the Synology). For the most part, fairly straight forward but it can be a pain in the rear when the discs won't read properly. I sometimes end up trying all 3 drives and/or carefully washing the disc. I've only had one I could not rip. And trying to get subtitles to work can be an issue and in some cases, chapter access is really important (particularly on Concert BluRays) but doesn't work with this approach. As far as audio and video quality are concerned, I can see zero difference between them and the shiny disc version. Also, I love the way it allows me to display the movies in sub-folders as I have my movies segregated into 5 or 6 different groups (BluRay, 4K, Next-Up New Movies, Next-Up Old Movies, Concert Videos, etc)

All of that said, I will be switching to the Zappiti NAS + the Zappiti Pro Player (and probably 2 or 3 additional drives for ripping movies. Why? Much simpler to use. Sure, I can switch to something other than MakeMKV to create ISO files and solve the chapter issue but I really like the idea of the totally integrated system that the Zappiti provides. Sure ISO files take up more space but as someone said, drives keep getting less and less expensive. I have a client who purchased the Zappiti NAS system + Zappiti Pro player (has over 1000 movies to rip) and an additional 2 drives and he is almost finished ripping. Absolutely loves it. Is the additional cost of the Zappiti NAS worth it? To me it most certanly is. Zappiti uses a card to provide disc RAID protection vs software in most NAS systems. It is really simple to use. Open the disc drawer, stick in the disc and when it is finished, the disc drawer pops open. The Zappiti player can read both MKV files as well as ISO files. While I only have one USB drives that has some movies on it (all of the rest are on my NAS) I can attach that USB drive to the NAS and it can be played as well. Certainly the DIY approach is less expensive but the Zappiti wins in raw simplicity. And I would much rather spend my time watching movies rather than spending time ripping them.

I am so taken by their NAS system, their players and the company, I may end up becoming a dealer for them.
post #27 of 34 Old 06-09-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Everyone has an idea about what is important to them and likely it is not the same thing that is important to me.

I am slowly putting all my discs onto my computer (more in a second), for two reasons. First, I want to watch them anyplace I am in the house without having to try to find the disc. This also allows me to pick up from where I left off when turning it on with another device. Second, and to me this is probably the more important, I want the movie to start when I pick it on my TV screen. I don't want to have to wait for the BD player to spin up and begin the movie. I REALLY don't want to have to watch a few FBI and interpol warnings in more than one language, and I definitely want to be able to pass the forced coming attractions that are now usually impossible to go by. Every time I think about hitting a button and seeing "This operation is prohibited," I can say "not any longer" and continue to watch what I want.

I do not have an extensive or expensive NAS. I have two 12 TB hard drives on my desktop computer. I had two additional 12 TB external hard drives which I only connect to my computer to copy what is on the desktop drives. This means I have a second copy of everything. I don't have to worry about a NAS. If my computer crashes, the data are not going to be destroyed because they are simple Windows formatted discs. I don't see the need for a RAID which will only waste space. If a drive crashes, I have a copy of it, and if the worst happens, I have the original discs that I can back up. These days with working from home, it is a simple thing to put a disc in the computer and copy it. It is not wasting any of my time to do so.

To each his own, but for me and my wife it works well.

SMK
post #28 of 34 Old 06-09-2020, 01:53 PM

What did it for me, was one day I was sitting (ok laying) around on my couch, many years ago, flipping channels, and I stopped to watch a movie that I liked. It was already about 1/3 or so the way in to it, and on a cable channel that had commercials.

My wife wandered by during one of said commercials, which I complained about (the commercial, not my wife ), to which she replied: "Don't you have this on DVD? just go get it."

I didn't want to get up. But I thought to my self there ought to be a way I could have these all cataloged on some kind of server with a remote control so my lazy self could just point and click...

That was when I got the Popcorn Hour c200 and a NAS. I didn't really need the drive bay in the c200, but it was a newer model at the time
post #29 of 34 Old 06-09-2020, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Interesting thread, I have one recommendation for all the folks building up NAS units. I saw a recommendation to use RAID5 with 12TB+ disks in this thread. This is a risky proposition, if a large capacity near line disk was to fail, the rebuild time for the array along with the heavy I/O during the rebuild increases the probability of a second disk failure. Currently the industry recommendations for disks greater than 1TB is RAID6 or better yet RAID10. RAID6 is double parity and has a heavy performance penalty so RAID10 is optimal. I understand the desire to save money, but the thought of recreating 35TB of data would be worth the cost of buying extra disks. I have been in the IT business for over 35 years and have specialized in storage for the last 15 years, take or leave my advise.
ajohnson30 likes this.
post #30 of 34 Old 06-10-2020, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriamFromTroy View Post
Interesting thread, I have one recommendation for all the folks building up NAS units. I saw a recommendation to use RAID5 with 12TB+ disks in this thread. This is a risky proposition, if a large capacity near line disk was to fail, the rebuild time for the array along with the heavy I/O during the rebuild increases the probability of a second disk failure. Currently the industry recommendations for disks greater than 1TB is RAID6 or better yet RAID10. RAID6 is double parity and has a heavy performance penalty so RAID10 is optimal. I understand the desire to save money, but the thought of recreating 35TB of data would be worth the cost of buying extra disks. I have been in the IT business for over 35 years and have specialized in storage for the last 15 years, take or leave my advise.
For Home media storage all the options I think are overblown. I think most people would be better off going unraid or drivepool/snapraid. You take a performance hit but being a home media server you will never need the raw numbers of a raid array. You get decent parity and if something happens you only lose the data on a single drive you never have to worry about the entire array going belly up. Plus you get the ease of expanding. If you are running raid5,6,10 you are stuck with your original raid size. Unless you start replacing all the disks expanding the file system and so on or creating move vdevs/pools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page