Details of new Google Android TV dongle "Sabrina" leaked - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Karelia
  • 2 Post By NashGuy
  • 1 Post By DaveFi
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Details of new Google Android TV dongle "Sabrina" leaked

https://www.xda-developers.com/googl...gle-remote-ui/


It looks just like a Chromecast, but now has a remote. Apparently supports Dolby Vision and uses an Amlogic SOC. Price will be around $80.
beardontwalk123 likes this.
Karelia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2020, 08:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 55
More info below - this thing looks great!

* Amlogic S905X2 SoC
* ARM Mali-G31 MP2 GPU
* 2GB RAM
* HDMI 2.1
* Dolby Vision, HDR, HLG
* ALLM
* Potentially dedicated Netflix and YouTube buttons
* Cadence Tensilica HiFi 4 DSP - does this mean Atmos support?

https://www.xda-developers.com/googl...tadia-support/

https://9to5google.com/2020/06/12/go...t-button-leak/
k2dak is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 06-13-2020, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2dak View Post
More info below - this thing looks great!

* Amlogic S905X2 SoC
* ARM Mali-G31 MP2 GPU
* 2GB RAM
* HDMI 2.1
* Dolby Vision, HDR, HLG
* ALLM
* Potentially dedicated Netflix and YouTube buttons
* Cadence Tensilica HiFi 4 DSP - does this mean Atmos support?

https://www.xda-developers.com/googl...tadia-support/

https://9to5google.com/2020/06/12/go...t-button-leak/
How does the Mali-G31 MP2 compare to Tegra X1+?

If this allows app installation and works with HD Audio pass through via HDMI then it'll already be better than the shield if all you care about is media playback, since it'll likely support VP9.2 which the Shield doesn't.
Karelia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 06-13-2020, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NashGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post
How does the Mali-G31 MP2 compare to Tegra X1+?

If this allows app installation and works with HD Audio pass through via HDMI then it'll already be better than the shield if all you care about is media playback, since it'll likely support VP9.2 which the Shield doesn't.
The chipset in Google's "Sabrina" device certainly won't have the amount of sheer horsepower that the Nvidia Shield TV has. But, good news, its Amlogic S905X2 does support VP9 Profile 2, so that means 4K HDR from YouTube (and presumably from Google Play Movies & TV too). It also supports USB 3.0.

It would be really cool if Google ends up swapping out the S905X2 chip (the 2018 model) for the new X905X4, which can decode the new AV1 codec (the successor to VP9) in 4K up to 120 frames per second. But going with that new chip might push the cost of the device higher than Google wants to price it (reportedly under $80). IMO, it's more important for Google to put out a decent quality device that can compete with Roku and Fire TV 4K sticks without being too expensive. The Nvidia Shield TV streamers, at $150 and $200, already fill the spaces for high-end expensive Android TV devices.

Beyond that, the redesigned Android TV user interface on this device looks really nice! Wonder if it'll be rolling out to other Android TV devices too or if Google will aim to keep it exclusive to their own device (kinda like the Pixel launcher on their own Android phones)?
Hetfieldjames and HDMI Guy like this.

Last edited by NashGuy; 06-13-2020 at 05:53 PM.
NashGuy is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 06-29-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Boonies, MA
Posts: 18,485
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 401
If this is discounted to ~$50 I might pick it up, but I don't see myself going much higher than that.

It would be nice to finally had an all-in-one device that did mostly everything, including frame-rate switching. I'm hoping since this is a Google product it will come close.
MOberhardt likes this.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 06-29-2020, 09:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashGuy View Post
The chipset in Google's "Sabrina" device certainly won't have the amount of sheer horsepower that the Nvidia Shield TV has. But, good news, its Amlogic S905X2 does support VP9 Profile 2, so that means 4K HDR from YouTube (and presumably from Google Play Movies & TV too). It also supports USB 3.0.

It would be really cool if Google ends up swapping out the S905X2 chip (the 2018 model) for the new X905X4, which can decode the new AV1 codec (the successor to VP9) in 4K up to 120 frames per second. But going with that new chip might push the cost of the device higher than Google wants to price it (reportedly under $80). IMO, it's more important for Google to put out a decent quality device that can compete with Roku and Fire TV 4K sticks without being too expensive. The Nvidia Shield TV streamers, at $150 and $200, already fill the spaces for high-end expensive Android TV devices.

Beyond that, the redesigned Android TV user interface on this device looks really nice! Wonder if it'll be rolling out to other Android TV devices too or if Google will aim to keep it exclusive to their own device (kinda like the Pixel launcher on their own Android phones)?
I thought the Nvidia Shield doesn’t support google play in 4K hdr or YouTube in 4K hdr? that’s the reason why never bought a Nvidia Shield. I’m actually looking forward to this release cause in Canada all the digital codes are only for the Google Play store and I can’t redeem them in Apple iTunes.

Ascend Sierra-2 LCR | Ascend HTM-200 Surrounds | Rythmic E15HP | Yamaha RX-A780 | Samsung HU8550
Wade. is online now  
post #7 of 10 Old 06-30-2020, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 12,269
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Shield does not support YT HDR. And also lacks HLG support. This Google device will have these two missing features plus the most import native refresh rate matching if it ships with Android TV 11 that is missing from all current Android TV devices.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Foxbat121 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 06-30-2020, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dragonbud0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Wow! A remote - what a novel idea? Would Google Home be next?

Simplicity in design is great, up to a certain point.
dragonbud0 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 06-30-2020, 05:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
But the question is, will it run Brutal Doom smoothly via. Delta Touch with maximum gore?
It's pretty demanding for Android devices even if most PCs can handle it like a champ.
Hydra Spectre is online now  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-02-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Will the remote be integrated w. Google's YTTV service that just increased 30+%? You can give some verbal commands via Google assistant like "pause" FF 3.5 minutes etc. Clunky because you have to say "hey Google" before each command.
snidely is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off