tell me about HDMI over cat5 vs IP - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-15-2020, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 29
tell me about HDMI over cat5 vs IP

How is the quality of both of these? I'm building a unattached garage with a room over. All utilities will be under ground with a expected run of about 75 feet. In the new garage it is expected to only have a flatscreen TV with no additional (external sound). All the equipment to be shared is rack mounted in the main house. If it works, I kind of like the idea of IP. I could pull a run with a couple of spares for redundancy to a switch in the garage and be done with it. Looking for suggestions.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-16-2020, 08:01 AM
i2k

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
HDMI over cat6 flawless here with about a 100ft run

OREI HDBaseT HDMI Extender over Cat5e/6 Ethernet LAN cable - Up to 500 Feet - IR, HDMI Loop-out, RS-232, PoC, HDMI Balun (EX-500IR) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079M2BFKD..._1Mc6cBw34njqg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVS PB2000 Sub
NVIDIA Shield Gen 2
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2020, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Personally I do not recommend an hdmi extender over Cat5/6. They are prone to all sorts of issues when you start trying to watch 4K, HDR, etc. My personal recommendation is to go with a fiber optic HDMI cable. Direct HDMI cable will be much more reliable. Ruipro is often a recommended manufacturer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-28-2020, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Selzer View Post
Personally I do not recommend an hdmi extender over Cat5/6. They are prone to all sorts of issues when you start trying to watch 4K, HDR, etc. My personal recommendation is to go with a fiber optic HDMI cable. Direct HDMI cable will be much more reliable. Ruipro is often a recommended manufacturer

I thought about that, I am running a 75 foot one from my security DVR to it's display and it works perfectly. I don't know what lengths longer they come but from the rack to the outside of the house is 20 feet. Then probably 70 feet to the garage and another 50 feet inside. Wicked long run and buried in walls so I'd probably have to run conduit so it could be replaced if it fails

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page