making the jump to 4k, concerns about streaming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 06-20-2020, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
making the jump to 4k, concerns about streaming and gaming online at 4k 60fps

so I just ordered my first 4k tv(lg cx oled 48 inch to be exact) and I'm a bit concerned how smoothly I'll be able to watch things such as 4k content on youtube. the router in my house is two floors down and can't be relocated. I still live with my parents so there is not much I can do if I use my tv from my room. I'm doing a connection test with my ps4 right now and only getting 6.9mbps for download speeds and 2.0mbps for upload speeds. I assume maybe everyone being online during the quarantine might have to do with it however I worry that I'll have issues loading 4k content from my room. https://www.hazelnetworks.com/produc...color-tc8717t/ we have this as our modem. obviously 1080p content buffers fine. will I be ok? wasn't sure the right place to post this question as it's kind of general so I apologize in advance. our router is this I believe https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Port-Ex.../dp/B00VVA4BTE I wanna be able to game online at 4k 60fps as well

Last edited by tybittz k; 06-21-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-20-2020, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Normally you need about 30mbps to stream 4k on Netflix. YouTube compresses the video content more so it might only require 20mbps. Afaik (please someone correct me that know the correct numbers) apple TV uses the most bit heavy streaming so 4k is around 50mbps. In summary I don't think you should expect to stream 4k video but it all depends on the level of compression.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
maybe should invest in a different router??? they can be vastly different...

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.h.frost View Post
Normally you need about 30mbps to stream 4k on Netflix. YouTube compresses the video content more so it might only require 20mbps. Afaik (please someone correct me that know the correct numbers) apple TV uses the most bit heavy streaming so 4k is around 50mbps. In summary I don't think you should expect to stream 4k video but it all depends on the level of compression.

**** I'm worried now that I just bought this thing and won't be able to get the best of it. I know my father is going to give me a hard time about doing configurations. I know there are signal boosters that plug into the wall but not sure how much they'll help...
post #5 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
the wifi in the lg oled tvs are pretty strong...maybe it will be better than ps4

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #6 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
the wifi in the lg oled tvs are pretty strong...maybe it will be better than ps4
yea in all honesty I don't have issues playing games online, although I get lag in smash bros for the switch which is weird. I didn't fully think about this when making the purchase so it's a concern now.... I don't mind having to wait slightly longer to buffer content but I hope that would be the biggest issue if there's nothing else I can do. I'm not sure if I would need to buy an extremely long chord that goes through multiple floors of the house
post #7 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by tybittz k View Post
so I just ordered my first 4k tv(lg cx oled 48 inch to be exact) and I'm a bit concerned how smoothly I'll be able to watch things such as 4k content on youtube. the router in my house is two floors down and can't be relocated. I still live with my parents so there is not much I can do if I use my tv from my room. I'm doing a connection test with my ps4 right now and only getting 6.9mbps for download speeds and 2.0mbps for upload speeds. I assume maybe everyone being online during the quarantine might have to do with it however I worry that I'll have issues loading 4k content from my room. https://www.hazelnetworks.com/produc...color-tc8717t/ we have this. obviously 1080p content buffers fine. will I be ok? wasn't sure the right place to post this question as it's kind of general so I apologize in advance.
Netflix and Amazon 4K HDR have a peak data rate of 7GB/hour = 2MB/sec = ~15mbps.

If your router accepts more than 15mbps but your wifi doesn't, then you'll have to run an Ethernet cable from the router to your streaming device. An easy way to do this is Ethernet over AC:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ne-networking/

for example:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Power...dp/B01H74VKZU/
philpoe likes this.
post #8 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Netflix and Amazon 4K HDR have a peak data rate of 7GB/hour = 2MB/sec = ~15mbps.

If your router accepts more than 15mbps but your wifi doesn't, then you'll have to run an Ethernet cable from the router to your streaming device. An easy way to do this is Ethernet over AC:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ne-networking/

for example:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Power...dp/B01H74VKZU/
am I going to need to run a wire through 3 floors?! I think my wifi can accept over 15mpbs just not steadily the further away from it I am.
EDIT: it sounds like I don't however there are quite a few devices in the house that use wifi that my mother and father use. is there a way I can set this up without each of us disturbing our usage?

Last edited by tybittz k; 06-21-2020 at 12:52 AM.
post #9 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
am I going to need to run a wire through 3 floors?! I think my wifi can accept over 15mpbs just not steadily the further away from it I am.
As per the article and the Amazon item, you can use Ethernet over Powerline. You plug one adapter into an AC socket near the router, and run an ethernet cable from the router to that adapter. You then plug the other adapter into an AC socket near your video source device and run an ethernet cable from the adapter to the video device and it will then be connected to the router (it sends the networking signal over the house AC wiring from one adapter to the other) and the internet. It's really simple actually.

The other alternative is to run an Ethernet cable through the house walls and floors but Ethernet over Powerline is way easier than that.
tybittz k and ChazzMatt like this.
post #10 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As per the article and the Amazon item, you can use Ethernet over Powerline. You plug one adapter into an AC socket near the router, and run an ethernet cable from the router to that adapter. You then plug the other adapter into an AC socket near your video source device and run an ethernet cable from the adapter to the video device and it will then be connected to the router (it sends the networking signal over the house AC wiring from one adapter to the other) and the internet. It's really simple actually.

The other alternative is to run an Ethernet cable through the house walls and floors but Ethernet over Powerline is way easier than that.
my other concern would be disturbing the internet use of my mother and father. can that be avoided or would it benefit all of us? and my bad I realized that in the article at the last minute lol
post #11 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

+1 on this I use this solution for various gadgets to get network access to them. Works well and basic Powerline sets are cheap now. Just be careful to avoid blocking the signal with things like surge protectors in the path.
This solution only solves part of the problem though of course, you need a decent speed internet connection in the first place too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DunMunro and philpoe like this.
post #12 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
my other concern would be disturbing the internet use of my mother and father. can that be avoided or would it benefit all of us? and my bad I realized that in the article at the last minute lol

Depending on what router you have, they can be configured to prioritise and manage different types of internet load, like to ensure streaming is prioritised over browsing (browsing unlikely to notice difference much). But you need to know enough technically to play around with the router’s settings - more modern ones come with phone apps to configure them easily. And also enough basic bandwidth in the first place from your ISP as I said.

DunMunro likes this.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Using wired Ethernet, either direct or via Ethernet over powerline will not monopolize the router but it will use bandwidth to the maximum called for by the 4K streaming service, so if you have a 25mbps connection to the router, and you use 15mbps for your 4k movie, then the other users on the router will still have 10mbps of data.
post #14 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 01:05 AM

Can you please share the name of your router, and the speed of your internet? Perhaps do a speed check speedtest.net with s wired connection to your router. You need to identify the bottleneck

wardie likes this.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

also, does it have to be dedicated to one device or can I unplug the ethernet chord in my room from the tv into the laptop on the fly if I wanted to?
post #16 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you please share the name of your router, and the speed of your internet? Perhaps do a speed check speedtest.net with s wired connection to your router. You need to identify the bottleneck

https://www.hazelnetworks.com/produc...color-tc8717t/ this is the device I saw downstairs lol theres an apple box also but that might be an airport need to look again. I got 2.9mbps of dl speeds and 10.9mbps of ul speeds when I checked the spectrum site
post #17 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 01:44 AM

Quote:
also, does it have to be dedicated to one device or can I unplug the ethernet chord in my room from the tv into the laptop on the fly if I wanted to?

No it’s equivalent to a virtual Ethernet cable running point to point so you can plug it into what you want when you want, like its into the back f your router. Some of the Powerline sets have 3x cable connections at the far (non-router) end, like this one I bought recently which is great and fast. You can use all 3 endpoints at once.

TP-Link TL-PA8033PKIT AV1300 3-Port Gigabit Passthrough 2x2 MIMO Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, No Configuration Required, UK Plug
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GFHQXBP/

tybittz k likes this.
post #18 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

will see if I could do a wired test as well, will report back
post #19 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
Depending on what router you have, they can be configured to prioritise and manage different types of internet load, like to ensure streaming is prioritised over browsing (browsing unlikely to notice difference much). But you need to know enough technically to play around with the router’s settings - more modern ones come with phone apps to configure them easily. And also enough basic bandwidth in the first place from your ISP as I said.

having to play around with the routers settings is the main thing I'm worried about cuz of my father lol
post #20 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

it is an apple router it looks like, need to figure out what kind. I ran a test with my ethernet chord from my laptop to the router directly. getting 213mbps download speeds and 11.8mbps upload speeds
christian.h.frost likes this.
post #21 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
it is an apple router it looks like, need to figure out what kind. I ran a test with my ethernet chord from my laptop to the router directly. getting 213mbps download speeds and 11.8mbps upload speeds

Well you won’t have to worry about too may people hogging your internet then. Just sort out some kind of non-WiFi link to the TV.

post #22 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
With 213mbps down, a quick and cheaper option to try first would be wifi extender.

If something like that doesn't help, you can always return it, and bump up to the powerline option.
christian.h.frost likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #23 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 2203
Quote:
so I just ordered my first 4k tv(lg cx oled 48 inch to be exact) and I'm a bit concerned how smoothly I'll be able to watch things such as 4k content on youtube. the router in my house is two floors down and can't be relocated. I still live with my parents so there is not much I can do if I use my tv from my room. I'm doing a connection test with my ps4 right now and only getting 6.9mbps for download speeds and 2.0mbps for upload speeds. I assume maybe everyone being online during the quarantine might have to do with it however I worry that I'll have issues loading 4k content from my room. https://www.hazelnetworks.com/produc...color-tc8717t/ we have this. obviously 1080p content buffers fine. will I be ok? wasn't sure the right place to post this question as it's kind of general so I apologize in advance.

Don't know if it is exactly the same internally, but that is the same router, at least visually, that I have from Xfinity, and it's a few years old now. No issues streaming 4K from Netflix or Youtube, but not a lot of action going on on my wifi network other than this, plus two iPhones not used for any kind of streaming, just kinda idling. As already mentioned though, get an extender/repeater. I'd like to think your router is O.K.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #24 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

hey, its the airport extreme base station the A1408 model made by apple. but I think it came out in like 2012 is that too old?
post #25 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Port-Ex.../dp/B00VVA4BTE looks like this. does anyone know what kinda device I would want to buy for this? would also want to game online at 4k 60 fps. thank you for the help everyone this is giving me a lot of anxiety lol

Last edited by tybittz k; 06-21-2020 at 10:57 AM.
post #26 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Don't know if it is exactly the same internally, but that is the same router, at least visually, that I have from Xfinity, and it's a few years old now. No issues streaming 4K from Netflix or Youtube, but not a lot of action going on on my wifi network other than this, plus two iPhones not used for any kind of streaming, just kinda idling. As already mentioned though, get an extender/repeater. I'd like to think your router is O.K.
I'll look at that too
post #27 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Exactly. Been doing this for years with Smart TV and Blu-Ray player in living room. Wi-Fi router is in office and speeds drop in living room. I then have a hub on the receiving end, right behind my media console, so I have several Ethernet ports for various devices.
DunMunro likes this.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #28 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 11:09 AM

It seems like your current router does not support the latest WiFi standards so it might be worth upgrading if you want to keep the setup wireless. Alternatively use a WiFi extender. Perhaps have a look at this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N1...ob_neva_mobile

post #29 of 31 Old 06-21-2020, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It seems like your current router does not support the latest WiFi standards so it might be worth upgrading if you want to keep the setup wireless. Alternatively use a WiFi extender. Perhaps have a look at this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N1...ob_neva_mobile

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Power...7ayisbWz62lH-U
post #30 of 31 Old 06-25-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 144
213mbit service excellent.
2.9mbit dl speed, I assume WIFI, BAD.
A1408 802.11n standard, not a deal breaker but certainly is getting old.

Very simply 2.9mbit dl is not gonna cut it, as mentioned Netflix needs 15mbit, and in real life, more like 25.

I see PowerLine adapters in your future, that way u don't have to touch anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page