Android TV, multiple devices - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-25-2020, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Android TV, multiple devices

I have qty 3 of the eMatic Jetstream 4K devices running Android TV 9. Unlike with Roku devices that are tied to a central account the Android boxes are individual entities. Because of that I have to manually load and update the software app suite for each box individually, whereas on my Rokus the apps that are loaded are centrally administered from I suppose their end. Is there any type of tool that exists that allows cloning or imaging of an Android TV box so that I can maintain one software app profile for all boxes simultaneously? I've tried looking at XDA Developers site but can't really find anything. Does anyone know of any such tool? I haven't seen any way to take an image of one of the devices and either save to a USB drive or maybe connect it to a PC and snap an image that can be loaded to the other two devices. Would really like to have such a tool if anyone has any knowledge on it.

Thx

EZed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2020, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 642
They can still share the same Google Account. But it doesn't support the settings and app backup and restore. The best I can think of is to push the app to the devices from your PC via way of Google Play Store web site where you can remote install apps to any device on your account.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2020, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
They can still share the same Google Account. But it doesn't support the settings and app backup and restore. The best I can think of is to push the app to the devices from your PC via way of Google Play Store web site where you can remote install apps to any device on your account.
Is this done in a bulk/batch fashion, whereby I can push the same apps to all three simultaneously? Or do you have to load and select to each one individually/manually? I am manually adding the same app suite to each device right now using the device remote and it is really a painful, slow and tedious task. Besides which then I have to go to each individual device and put in login credentials for each and every app (x3). It would seem that there should or could be a clone or backup device (software) that would do this either from a central location on a network or at least able to save to something like a USB stick so that one could go to each of their identical devices and load the same profile (apps, data et al) so that they all would have the same exact setup.

I've read about TWRP but I've also read that it's hit and miss (more miss) on whether the backup from one device actually loads to another identical device. Sounds like it is not a mastered science. Only a few actual success story testimonials.

Yell out if you hear anything more/better.

Thx

EZed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-26-2020, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I've been running multiple AndroidTV devices around the house, including multiple Nexus Players, Jetstream, Mi Box 4s, Shield TV Pro, and now one Hisense TV. With each device, I've been through the setup process 2 or 3 times (only once on the Hisense). Manually, it only takes me ~30 minutes to adjust settings, download apps, login, organize App Shortcut bar, and organize Channels. I can see the appeal, with multiples of the same device, or setting up once and cloning... but for just 3 devices, I'm not sure it's really that big of a hassle.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Hub Ultimate | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | Disney+ | Spotify
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2020, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Same here. Without native OS support, you will have to use 3rd party tools which often require root access. But once you rooted, many streaming services will stop functioning properly because of broken DRM.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page