Need a Streamer like Netgear NTV550 that supports UHD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2020, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Need a Streamer like Netgear NTV550 that supports UHD

So I have been happily enjoying my Netgear NTV550 for the last 5 years so I am not abreast of the current technologies.

I have my DVDs and BDs saved to my unRAID server in folder structure with main movie only (no menu). I am now ready to upgrade my HT to 4K and would like something like the Netgear NTV550 that can play my DVD, BD, and UHD main movie rips in folder structure from my unRAID server. The Netgear has a basic movie catalog (using a TAG index file) and that is all I need.

Any media streamer out there that will fit the bill without requiring me to alter my ripping process of saving movie only in folder format and have a GUI interface to catalog the movies so that I am not looking at a folder listing while browsing my catalog?

Of course it has to support all the lossless audio formats bitstream to my 4K AVR and be stable so that I don't have to constantly tweak it like a HTPC.

Still Learning

Last edited by mifronte; 06-26-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 912
If you want local streaming (only) try an ODROID... either the N2 or C4. Install CoreELEC and you are good to go.

| JVC RS2000 125" Projection - Denon 5.2.4 Audio - Shield TV PRO / 65" LG OLED TV - TiVo - Fire TV 4K |
| ODROID-N2 Ubuntu Media Server | Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2020, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I must be missing something with the ORDOID, but it seems like the same effort as getting a HTPC up and running. For example, first you have to build it, then load an OS, and install a media center. Doesn't all this requires hooking up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse just to get the thing up and running?

Then you would have to worry about integrating it into the Harmony remotes otherwise how would you control it in a HT environment?

Still Learning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-27-2020, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Shield tv or appletv, or firestick if you don’t want to spend more money.. if you don’t mind diy, get odroid N2, which has Hdmi Cec, so you won’t need a keyboard.. your tv remote will also control it..

Lots of other options.. mainly you want anything that runs Kodi or Plex well..
post #5 of 5 Old 06-27-2020, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post
I must be missing something with the ORDOID, but it seems like the same effort as getting a HTPC up and running.
If you consider under $100, five minute (tops) installation without any keyboard or mouse the same...

| JVC RS2000 125" Projection - Denon 5.2.4 Audio - Shield TV PRO / 65" LG OLED TV - TiVo - Fire TV 4K |
| ODROID-N2 Ubuntu Media Server | Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page