Ubiquiti access point questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 06-28-2020, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ubiquiti access point questions

My wife is doing virtual staff meetings at home and prefers the dining room table to do it. Unfortunately, that's the absolute worst place in the house for a WIFI connection. A friend of mine who no longer lives near by told me to look at
"Ubiquiti unmanaged access points". When I look them up, I see 4. UAP, UAP-LR, UAP-PRO and UAP-Outdoor5. I don't care about the looks of the Outdoor5 as it will be in a closet. I assume the Pro is managed. I have power and ethernet in a kitchen closet that is 15 feet away from the dining room table. The kitchen closet is pretty much dead center in the house. The router and 24 port gigabit switch is in the garage. The distance is not the problem. Between the garage and house is foil faced insulation AND a full height mirror wall.
I think the UAP and LR are 2.4 g and the Pro and outside5 are 5g. Looking for a direction to go in so I can get her off my back.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-28-2020, 01:41 PM
sor
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 393
I believe all of their UniFi line are managed via controller, but you can just run the controller software on your computer long enough to configure it and leave it be. They’re all managed in the same way, the difference is only in features like range, MIMO, etc.

They have an AmpliFi line as well that is more like the consumer type you’d expect.

IMO video conferencing is never great over WiFi since it is latency sensitive. Even with the best WiFi you’ll get a hiccup every minute or two, which might be ok for most, just keep it in mind. I have worked remotely for years and always try to hard wire for video conferencing, if people feel like they can’t communicate with me then I can’t do my job, which might lead someone to say “this remote thing just isn’t working out”.

If I were you I’d try to find a way to snake a cable into an open space in the kitchen. You’ll be able to get WiFi through the closet door and walls but it will be attenuated and less reliable. If you can poke a hole in the kitchen ceiling 3 ft away from the closet and mount the access point there high in the open area you’ll get the best result.

Lakeview Cinema build thread
post #3 of 20 Old 06-28-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Tried it once and didn't really like it that much. Those who love it mostly because of the management feature (you can tweak tons of stuff). But the downside is that if you don't like to manage it, it kind of not that outstanding compare to other consumer grade APs. Its range is not that much different than normal consumer grade APs.

Since you already have the Ethernet port there, just grab which ever AP you like and make sure configured to the same SSID and password but different non-overlapping channel than your main WiFi. This way you can seamlessly roam around house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-28-2020, 02:01 PM
sor
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Ubiquiti access point questions

They’re designed to be mounted high from the ceiling and point down. I’ve covered a 5000 sqft two story house in the past with one mounted high in a open ceiling loft (UAP AC Pro). Placement is key, for all APs. They’re good but you have to use them properly. If you leave it on a desk or shelf your range will suffer, and if you put it in a closed closet your speed will immediately be cut in half (for most APs).

Lakeview Cinema build thread
post #5 of 20 Old 06-28-2020, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The ceiling in the stairwell to the second floor is directly over that closet. I think I could get a ethernet cable to that location but not power. I think they make a POE adapter for these if I remember the add correctly. If I put it there it would be almost dead center and higher then any location in the house that might need it. The house is only 30' X 30' footprint. It will suck snaking a ethernet cable there because it's a cathedral ceiling (no attic).

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-28-2020, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 840
I recently put in 2 Ubiquiti NanoHD units when COVID hit because the wife’s home office is a weak spot for WiFi. You can run the controller on a PC to get them set up and configured then **** it down until you need to make changes or updates. They also have a cloud version, but I never looked into that. My home is 2 living floors on top of a basement. The house is about 25 feet by 45 feet. I have one in the upstairs hallway ceiling which runs long way done home and then it is probably 18 feet from one end. The other unit is wall mounted in the foyer which is about midway of length it only about 10 feet from front.

That said, these things are amazing. The one upstairs really could cover most of both floors, it even gets into the basement on that end of the home. I have numerous 5ghz devices and am amazed at the signal strength and speeds I get. My wife and I both have newer laptops that support the fastest 5ghz speeds and through 2 walls and about 15 feet she gets 1-1.3mbps and our iPads max out their radios at 866mbps fairly easily. In the most difficult places the house I can do Speedtest and get 200+ mbps. In most areas the speeds are more like 300-400mbps. I have 7-9 5ghz devices connected all the time and another 7 2.4ghz devices. I have both APs as same SSID and fast roaming enabled.

That said all my Streamers, and Home Theater components are hard wired. I do have a small Roku TV and a Sony 55X900E both on WiFi and they have never had any issues with bandwidth or buffering.

The NanoHD is smaller than the Pro and the 2.4ghz radio is a tad slower than the Pro version, but I would never know it. Best investment I have made for home networking.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #7 of 20 Old 06-28-2020, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel View Post
The ceiling in the stairwell to the second floor is directly over that closet. I think I could get a ethernet cable to that location but not power. I think they make a POE adapter for these if I remember the add correctly. If I put it there it would be almost dead center and higher then any location in the house that might need it. The house is only 30' X 30' footprint. It will suck snaking a ethernet cable there because it's a cathedral ceiling (no attic).
The Ubiquiti APs can function as a mesh so all you need is power to the AP. That said, for best experience wired POE is best. I have a 24 port Netgear POE Gigabit switch that is use as my security system is 11 POE cameras.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #8 of 20 Old 06-29-2020, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 679
I've gotten away using a uap-AC-pro mounted in a center cabinet in the basement - just I mounted it faces up instead of down to provide signal to the upstairs of the house. They are meant to be mounted in the ceiling facing down to provide the signal down and out, but I see no reason it can't face up and provide a signal up and out.

I like the unifi as they work. Once configured I have had no issues with it - I don't get issues I had with other access points including disconnects, clients failing to connect and such. Extremely stable units and if there is a wifi problem it exclusively is on the client end as everyone else has no problems with it. It's also nice just having anything just connect and work rather than having to fiddle around because sometimes the clients fail to connect. Things just work.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-29-2020, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I've gotten away using a uap-AC-pro mounted in a center cabinet in the basement - just I mounted it faces up instead of down to provide signal to the upstairs of the house. They are meant to be mounted in the ceiling facing down to provide the signal down and out, but I see no reason it can't face up and provide a signal up and out.

I like the unifi as they work. Once configured I have had no issues with it - I don't get issues I had with other access points including disconnects, clients failing to connect and such. Extremely stable units and if there is a wifi problem it exclusively is on the client end as everyone else has no problems with it. It's also nice just having anything just connect and work rather than having to fiddle around because sometimes the clients fail to connect. Things just work.
How difficult are these to configure? Does the PC used to manage them need to be running 24/7?
I have to check my switch to see if it even does POE. If not, a POE injector of the correct voltage is OK?

post #10 of 20 Old 06-29-2020, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

And I hope the last question, the actual router is about 15 feet closer to the proposed mounting position of the AP. Is there any functional benefit to plugging directly into the router vs the switch?

post #11 of 20 Old 06-29-2020, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
How difficult are these to configure? Does the PC used to manage them need to be running 24/7?
I have to check my switch to see if it even does POE. If not, a POE injector of the correct voltage is OK?
My house is filled with Ubiquiti gear that I’ve been using for three years or so. If I could do it all over I’d get an Eero Pro set and be done.

They are rather difficult to configure. You’ll be able to figure it out but it’s more complicated than home internet needs to be when the goal is just to expand coverage across your house. If you do get an AP you can spend a few bucks more and get the model that comes with a POE injector. I’ve read forum posts elsewhere of people having problems with third-party ones.

The controller doesn’t have to run 24x7 but when something goes wrong you’ll have to fire it up, remember the login information, and poke around at settings until it starts working again. Mine is rock solid, until it isn’t. About twice a year one or more of the APs will decide they’re incompatible with some other aspect of my network and I have to spend an hour or two messing with everything to get it all running again. Then it will be be fine for months and months.

All of my APs are connected to switches and I’m not aware of any advantages (or why there would be an advantage) to connecting them directly to a router.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-29-2020, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Highly recommend ubiquiti. I would get the pro and put it in the closet and see what you get. Before bothering to run the cable.

They come with a POE injector so you wouldn't have to run power to the ceiling.

You can also set it up with an app on your phone if you don't plan to run the controller 24/7. It's really not that hard to get going. Tons of guides out there.

I have a UDM which is an app/switch/router combo in my garage. And the AP is enough to serve a 2000' two story House.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X3500h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Ascend HTM 200 SE -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #13 of 20 Old 06-29-2020, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I've had good results from two Ubiquiti AP's in my house(1600sq ft with basement and attached garage). The main one is a NanoHD which is mounted at the top of the stairwell to the basement and I'm also using an in wall model in our front sunroom to get a little more coverage in there and outside. I power both of these devices using a POE switch in the basement.

With that said in our workshop I use an Engenius EAP1300 that's ceiling mounted and powered from a TPlink POE switch. It easily covers the entire building through walls etc and it has been stable and has given no trouble. I think that the range and coverage is as good or better than the Ubiquiti AP's I have at home and it requires no controller stuff.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-29-2020, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Location: White Bear Lake, MN ----- CUSL2C, P3/1.0, 256Mb, HiPix, A2496, D50Q, Stewert 1.3g, Denon 3801,
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For the money I don't think you can beat the Ubiquiti AP's. I'd suggest trying a Nano HD in the closet to see how it does and then if necessary you can move it out. Just keep in mind that every layer of sheetrock you go through reduces signal strength and quality. Same for wood, steel and other materials.
I think any POE+ or ++ injector should work as the specs on these seem tighter than the original POE.
I agree w/ above that hardwire is best if you can do it. That said, there are four of us in our house and we've had three video calls going at once over WiFi (1 HD and several Nano HD's) with nobody having any problems.
Good luck!
post #15 of 20 Old 06-29-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
Just keep in mind that every layer of sheetrock you go through reduces signal strength and quality. Same for wood, steel and other materials.
^^ That's the most important part. It doesn't really matter if you face up or down

I would also add that new technologies in 802.11ax (WiFi 6) with its MIMO, beam forming technology can also help than the old 11n or 11ac even if your WiFi client is not 11ax.
post #16 of 20 Old Yesterday, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 679
The configuration isn't easy, but if you know what you're doing, it's not that difficult. It's an enterprise unit, so it supports a ton of options beyond a guest network like VLANs and such. You need to know that networks, SSIDs and radios are separate things and you need to manually define and link them al together. (SSIDs link to networks, radios and SSIDs link together).

Once all configured, the PC doesn't need to be running. What happens is the software runs on the PC, you configure the settings, then the configuration files are sent to the access points. Except for monitoring, the PC software doesn't have to run and the access points can run autonomously. The PC software is only for configuration and monitoring and once the configuration is done, unless you want all the pretty stats and graphs, can be ignored.
post #17 of 20 Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got a deal on a UAP-LR with POE injector. It's going to be here on Friday. Lets see if I have any hair left by Monday

Pretty much everything in my house that does not move is hard wired. Things that do move around are,

4 iphones
3 ipads
4 laptops
I think one of the kids game consoles is wifi

Do all these devices have to be configured to the AP? If so, what happens when a guest arrives???

I just ran SPEED TEST from this location which is on the second floor and almost as far away as the dining room table on the first floor. Download 6.39 Upload 7.64

post #18 of 20 Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Got a deal on a UAP-LR with POE injector. It's going to be here on Friday. Lets see if I have any hair left by Monday

Pretty much everything in my house that does not move is hard wired. Things that do move around are,

4 iphones
3 ipads
4 laptops
I think one of the kids game consoles is wifi

Do all these devices have to be configured to the AP? If so, what happens when a guest arrives???

I just ran SPEED TEST from this location which is on the second floor and almost as far away as the dining room table on the first floor. Download 6.39 Upload 7.64

You can use the mobile app and have the thing up and running in ten minutes.

You would connect those devices to the ap just like any wifi network.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X3500h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Ascend HTM 200 SE -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #19 of 20 Old Today, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm questioning if these units are directional or not. The quick start guide says they can be wall or ceiling mounted.

post #20 of 20 Old Today, 10:44 AM

They are designed to be celling mounted. So you can assume a cone shaped coverage area wherever the flying saucer points to.

You would configure AP to use the same SSID and password as your main router but on totally different frequency bands for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. This way your wifi devices can automatically roam to different wifi APs/routers whichever has the strongest signal at the location. You can have multiple APs in the house configured in the same way. You don't have to re-configure the client devices at all.

I have 7 APs/routers spread out in my home because I mainly use 5GHz radio exclusively for speeds. 2.4GHz just don't work well due to interferences from neighbors and other devices that use 2.4Hz like RF remotes and bluetooth.

Last edited by Foxbat121; Today at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page