Best 1080p streaming device for Plex - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2020, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Best 1080p streaming device for Plex

I use an Nvidia Shield TV 2019 for my LG C9 4K TV and I need a second streaming device for my old 1080p Toshiba Regza 55XL700E in another room. Can you recommend the best 1080p streaming device that supports Plex?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-28-2020, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
I'm using a Shield tube as the Plex client for my 1080 plasma. Works great. Nothing gets trans-coded everything plays at full bit-rate quality and HD audio.
My Plex server runs under Win-10 on a small i3 PC I built to control my media disk farm.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 7 Old 06-28-2020, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'm using a Shield tube as the Plex client for my 1080 plasma. Works great. Nothing gets trans-coded everything plays at full bit-rate quality and HD audio.

My Plex server runs under Win-10 on a small i3 PC I built to control my media disk farm.
Right. Getting a $150 shield tube was my initial idea but I thought it's overkill, no?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-28-2020, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
I use an Nvidia Shield TV 2019 for my LG C9 4K TV and I need a second streaming device for my old 1080p Toshiba Regza 55XL700E in another room. Can you recommend the best 1080p streaming device that supports Plex?
On my two 1080p HDTVs (one a Panasonic 1080p plasma the other a Samsung 1080p LED) I get good results with Roku devices and the Plex app on them, with my PC as a Plex server over my house wifi network. I have a Roku Ultra on the plasma and a Roku Streaming Stick Plus on the Samsung TV.
I can stream via Plex video files with DD, DD+, AAC, DTS compressed audio even DD+ with atmos with the Rokus, but Roku's won't support uncompressed audio like DTS HD, etc. only a newer Nvidia Shield could do that. But Plex server will on the fly convert to compressed audio format that Roku supports.
What I do for uncompressed dolby audio with atmos is I have a direct HDMI cable from the PC's video card extra HDMI output to the nearby room with the Panasonic plasma and a Denon AVR, I can then play videos supporting uncompressed audio formats that way via a Plex media player app or Media Player classic app running on the PC with the Panasonic 1080p plasma in the other room as a secondary monitor. I even can use a free app that allows my android smartphone to act as a wifi remote control mouse/keyboard for the PC from the other room.

Last edited by BriscoCountyJr; 06-28-2020 at 11:59 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2020, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
Right. Getting a $150 shield tube was my initial idea but I thought it's overkill, no?
I don't feel it is overkill if you want the full quality of your rip on the server to play through Plex without any transcoding -- assuming you have the network bandwidth to handle a full bitrate BD rip with HD audio. Plex Server is very good at accommodating Plex Clients with limited support for codecs and limited capabilities. As a result, nearly all Plex Clients are limited second rate implementations and depend on the Plex Server to bail them out by transcoding the source into what they can handle. The Shield has the best Plex Client and to my knowledge is the only Plex Client on a stand-alone box that Direct-Plays everything the PlexServer throws at it without any transcoding.

Now, on the other hand: if this 1080 HDTV in the other room is not frequently used; is on WiFi and not Ethernet; has a sound bar or just uses the TV speakers -- you get the picture -- you may not care about the Plex Server transcoding the source. I have such an HDTV in the kitchen. I use a $50 Fire-TV 4K stick (WiFi) on that TV for Plex, Prime and Netflix. I couldn't be happier. The stick is very fast and responsive; the Plex Client is stable, fast and smooth; I don't care about transcoding to the kitchen TV and it looks just fine.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 7 Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 2357
Definitely a 2019 Nvidia Shield.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-2020, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I don't feel it is overkill if you want the full quality of your rip on the server to play through Plex without any transcoding -- assuming you have the network bandwidth to handle a full bitrate BD rip with HD audio. Plex Server is very good at accommodating Plex Clients with limited support for codecs and limited capabilities. As a result, nearly all Plex Clients are limited second rate implementations and depend on the Plex Server to bail them out by transcoding the source into what they can handle. The Shield has the best Plex Client and to my knowledge is the only Plex Client on a stand-alone box that Direct-Plays everything the PlexServer throws at it without any transcoding.

Now, on the other hand: if this 1080 HDTV in the other room is not frequently used; is on WiFi and not Ethernet; has a sound bar or just uses the TV speakers -- you get the picture -- you may not care about the Plex Server transcoding the source. I have such an HDTV in the kitchen. I use a $50 Fire-TV 4K stick (WiFi) on that TV for Plex, Prime and Netflix. I couldn't be happier. The stick is very fast and responsive; the Plex Client is stable, fast and smooth; I don't care about transcoding to the kitchen TV and it looks just fine.
You bring up good points. Although I have a gigabit LAN in my place, getting a Fire Stick 4K will limit BW via wifi.

Although, all your statements in your 2nd paragraph are exactly my thoughts. This TV won't be used regularly anyway and I can leave the transcoding (if necessary) to the Plex Server.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page