AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Onkyo/Integra Net-Tune Users (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/413499-onkyo-integra-net-tune-users.html)

MrSpork 09-04-2005 11:35 PM

I PM'd him too and checked daily until he came back and... nothing.

If ANYONE has the scripts, drop us a line.

jacarandr 09-13-2005 01:04 AM

I know I'm new but I'm surprised no one else has cried about the 999 limit on this page yet. Or is it a really simple fix? I can't seem to make sublists in artists/albums/genres etc like it says you can in the manual..
Plus if anyone has the iTunes patch I'd be very grateful!

J

smileyw 10-07-2005 07:25 AM

Hello all,
Andrew sent me the script. Can anyone post it if I give it to you? Here is what Andrew sent me. (I have not had time to run it yet, but I suspect it will still work.)

"This is Windows only and it's only purpose is to convert an iTunes library to a Net-Tunes library. It doesn't work on a Mac, and it doesn't replace Net-Tunes. You may need to change a few lines to point to your iTunes and Net-Tunes library. I haven't used this script in a a year or two and have no idea how it works with the last few versions of iTunes. Opening the script with Internet Explorer should be enough to get it to run."

MrSpork 10-07-2005 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyw View Post

Hello all,
Andrew sent me the script. Can anyone post it if I give it to you? Here is what Andrew sent me. (I have not had time to run it yet, but I suspect it will still work.)

"This is Windows only and it's only purpose is to convert an iTunes library to a Net-Tunes library. It doesn't work on a Mac, and it doesn't replace Net-Tunes. You may need to change a few lines to point to your iTunes and Net-Tunes library. I haven't used this script in a a year or two and have no idea how it works with the last few versions of iTunes. Opening the script with Internet Explorer should be enough to get it to run."

I'LL POST! I'LL POST! I'LL POST!!!

Re-Reading the post, I realize what he was talking about was PC only. Woops. hehehe.

send to ebby2005-at-SSBA.com please.

MrSpork 10-08-2005 03:48 PM

Here we go!

Linky Linky! <- Link to the script

Not sure what the .htm file is but I'll include it anyways.

BartmanS4 10-19-2005 08:58 PM

I should probably start a new topic but this one matches at least.

First of all I can get my Integra DTR-7.3 to connect either to the web or my server. I've tried everything I can think of except running my own DNS/web server. I will try that I someone can send me a copy of the xml returned from XiVA. Does anyone have this? I have tried both DHCP and static, two different routers, firewall and virus turned off, reset to factory defaults and start over. Nothing works, I get a message for mServer "no track" and for Radio it says "connecting..." and tuned flashes and then "not connect". Getting frustrated!

Also, it definetly has a webserver.
I tried to paste the returned xml called audioDeviceDesc.xml in but the board doesn't like that even after I removed the links. If anyone wants to see that Ican post five times and then try again. Please help if you can send a copy of the returned xml from XiVA or if you have any other suggestions.

Jeff D 10-21-2005 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

Hmmm, I thought I tried high bit rate WMA's and they didn't work. Maybe it's just the highest quality WMA VBR's that wouldn't work.

I have some bad news... I don't think I'll be writing the Windows Media plugin after all. I became so fed up with XP (and Word) that I went out and purchased a G5 PowerMac last week. I may try to write my own Net-Tune server for the Mac, but that's not going to help you out at all.

I'll post here if things change.

I might want to read the whole thread before responding, but...

I've been talking about and thinking about and just not "doin' it" on a project that could be java based. I wanted to create a generic media server that supported a plug-in architecture so that the streamer could support any device as long as there was a plug in for that. The configuration files for the different players would include supported formats so that unsupported formats could be supported with on the fly transcoding. Let the PC do all the work, for audio the simpliest support would be do convert almost everything to PCM and stream that. You only have to do a decode to get audio out to any device in PCM. Anyway the plug in would just need to handle the communication and the streamer would handle the conversios and lists and what not.

Currently I've got the folowing server software running on my media server:
DVArchive (replayTV)
JavaHMO (tivo)
Net-Tunes (Onkyo)
Kenwood's Media Server (kenwood)
and one other that I'm spacing on at the moment... but I'd like to have Toshiba's networked DVD recorder as part of my setup! =)

Anyway that's a lot of apps that all do the exact same thing, so I'd like to consolidate them.

You could even support any streaming from any source just real-time decoded to a PCM stream that the streamer sends as a shoutcast stream or whatever. It's all sounds so simple...

I'm not a good java programmer or any OOP. I'm an embedded software guy with the skills on the low level stuff. THe only thing keeping me from doing this is that I've been mr. mom for the last few years and almost all my free time is spent on the kids. I'd like to get a push to work on a project like this, and I'm willing to work with others!!!

Wouldn't it be great for your net-tunes receiver to be able to play any auido format local or streamed that the PC can decode? I had thought this would be something in the works after looking at the configuration files for nettunes, but that's still not something that's happened. I hear net-tunes is a high priority with onkyo japan, but it doesn't really look like that's true.

BartmanS4 10-22-2005 09:05 AM

I'm not a software programmer. I don't even play one on tv. I did however do a lot of searching around on the net-tune c-rap and did find some download links from XiVA. They have a XiVA Link SDK availible on their site with a lot of documentation. I don't know if this information can be used by programmers to create better apps instead of net-tune. I'll provide the link in the fourth follow-up message.

BartmanS4 10-22-2005 09:06 AM

Does anyone know the exact url that the net-tune receivers connect to? If I go to xiva-net.com I get their home page. The xml is what I am interested in.

BartmanS4 10-22-2005 09:06 AM

post 4

BartmanS4 10-22-2005 09:07 AM

post 5

BartmanS4 10-22-2005 09:08 AM

Here is the link to the downloads. Let me know if this is useful or not.
http://www.xiva.com/xivawebhtml/xivamain.html

dmahling 10-23-2005 05:35 AM

I am playing with a wireless access point to the Onkyo; got a Linksys WGA54g gameport which pretends to be an RJ45 jack in the wall.

I hardcoded the IP address (192.168.0.8), server (192.168.0.1), DNS servers (45.x.x.x;etc.) into the Onkyo.

I can ping it.

Yet it wont find the Net-Tune server; I have not tried it with a cable yet... could it be that the protocol gets clipped by the wireless? the Net-tune server is running on an ME machine, no firewall there.

Dirk

MrSpork 10-30-2005 12:44 PM

Your wireless AP could filter out specific protocols but usually lets everything through by default. It may be a good idea to have a second DNS server listed as a backup just in case it is a DNS problem.

On a side note, I found this project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnutune While it seems cool, it has not really gone anywhere. This could likely bring a Net-Tune like program to Mac or even integration with iTunes.

Go ambitious developer!

ArtV 10-30-2005 03:15 PM

This looks like the best place to post my net-tune question.

I have an RDC 7.1 with a net tune card. I have converted me CD collection to MP3 via EAC using the LAME encoder at 320 kBits/s. I have my system hard wired to my computer and have been generally pleased with the results. Does anyone know what the highest quality compressed format Net-Tune will handle? It is my understanding that it will not play wma files ripped with Windows Media Player 10 and I have no wish to switch to Windows Media 9.

Unfortunately, it appears that Onkyo will not be updating net-tune any further which is a shame because the device shows such huge potential. Does anyone know of any other audio only digital media devices with an on screen display? I have my system installed in a closet behind my couch and have to see the device's display on screen. I have a ROKU HD1000 and while it is adequate for viewing slide shows, I will not rely on it for audio. I understand that it will play more file types and bit rates but it is cumbersome to operate and is far from stable. I presume that other multi use devices suffer from similar faults and as a result, I am only interested in audio only devices.

Thanks in advance.

ArtV

cwilliams114 11-06-2005 06:20 AM

I would love to get a copy of your itunes script. In this day and age it is amazing that Onkyo thinks they can get away with such a poor product.

please email a copy

Thanks

cwilliams114 11-06-2005 06:29 AM

I see in the thread that people reference the script being posted but for the life of me I cannot find it. Can some one point at where to get this? Thanks CW

BartmanS4 11-07-2005 09:46 AM

MrSpork has linked it above. The link is called "Linky Linky".

MrSpork 11-08-2005 04:55 PM

Sorry 'bout the confusion. I added a little description.

rocket91fm 11-17-2005 04:27 PM

Does anyone know how to get a hold of Andrew67
I am interested in the method he described to add your own stations by bypassing the Nettune server. I need at least the xml scripts and any other programs needed to set this up.

BartmanS4 11-18-2005 08:16 AM

I know his email address is in the comments portion of the iTunes java script he wrote. I think it would be uncool to post it though. If you get a response and the xml please post that.

I just emailed him and I'll post if I find anything out.

brogan2424 12-02-2005 09:22 AM

hello all...quick question, does anybody know to actually import iTunes to Net-Tunes? I have the java script that Andrew wrote & I have no idea what to do w/it...any help would be appreciated...thanks...

branas 12-02-2005 11:33 AM

Just found this thread, I am glad that there is some interest in creating an alternative to Net-Tune. If anyone from Onkyo/Integra is listening, Net-Tune is one of the main reasons why I went with Integra over some other products. I have become so frustrated with Net-Tune playlists and lack of functionality that I am ready to drop the whole deal. I may replace my current setup with another brand (Though the DTR-10.5 is intriguing) and get some other hardware based player with a digital out to a receiver. I bought my receiver two years ago, and the only software update was so bad that I actually uninstalled it and stuck with the older version of Net-Tune. I won't rant further though I really could. I will watch here to see if anyone comes up with a new solution. I would pay for an alternative that supports FLAC.

brogan2424 12-02-2005 04:36 PM

when I attempt to run Andrew's iTunes-Net-Tunes script (i've tried moving the file to different places w/no success) I just get the same error message each time...can anybody drop some knowledge on me? it's driving me insane

BartmanS4 12-05-2005 10:44 AM

Make sure you change the variable NETTUNE_HOME to the correct path of your nettune installation.
i.e. var NETTUNE_HOME = "C:\\\\program files\\\\ONKYO\\\\Net-Tune Central\\\\";

But I haven't figured out how to get it to create playlists yet.

Oh, also I never got a reply from Andrew after emailing him.

BartmanS4 12-07-2005 10:48 AM

Well unless I'm mistaken the script seems not to work with NetTune 2.0, maybe it worked with the previous version but I don't have that version. It does create all the m3u playlists and places them in the nettune directory but I can't get the program to recognise the playlists. Nettune overwrites the audio.tsv and m3ulist.tsv everytime you restart it and creates it's m3u filenames based on a timestamp of sort i.e. 4394947Bab.m3u. You can't rename the iTunes.m3u files to the Nettune generated ones because they are loaded in memory and they will be overwritten with the original content when the server restarts.

Lame does not do enough to describe this app.

Does anyone have the previous version of nettune available? If so will you email it to me? gscottbartlett at hotmail dot com

Thanks

pranilm 12-10-2005 01:20 AM

I went to the link referenced by MrSpork. But it seems like the site may no longer be hosting the file for GnuTune. I was wondering if anybody has a copy of it, would they please send it. I'm sick and tired of Nettune software. I was also wondering about the script andrew wrote and if anyone has that i would like a copy of that as well.

Thanx in advance.

MrSpork 12-10-2005 11:20 PM

What? It's always been up. AFAIK.

I'll host an alternate on my personal computer though. I usually have it on 24/7, but no guaranntees.

Linky #2 <- Alternate download

pranilm 12-12-2005 10:33 PM

Thanx for the link Mr.Spork. Did you get a chance to use GnuTune? if so how was it.

MrSpork 12-12-2005 11:48 PM

No. I use a Mac, so it won't work for me.