Onkyo/Integra Net-Tune Users - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 442 Old 02-12-2006, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to play custom radio stations on your Onkyo network receiver. You may use the instructions detailed here to play internet radio stations of your choice on your network capable onkyo receiver.

For this recipe, we will add our own "MyFavourites" menu item under "Genres" and add two new stations under it

Preparationtion time : 30-45 mins

You will need (Ingredients):
1 Onkyo network receiver
1 Privoxy proxy server (get a copy for your OS here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=11118 )
1 Operating system supported by Privoxy (Many popularular OS's are supported)
1 web server supported by your OS - not absolutely necessary, but most likely you will end up needing one (I'll tell you why later)

Method:
1 Take one (fresh) copy of Privoxy and install it on your computer. Follow setps in the Privoxy documentation to do the following:

1.1 Configure it to accept connections from your receiver (read network)
Windows users: right click on the Privoxy icon in the system tray, choose Edit -> Main Configuration, navigate to the line which reads

listen-address 127.0.0.1:8118
and replace 127.0.0.1 with the IP assigned to your computer. For example, change
listen-address 127.0.0.1:8118
to
listen-address 192.168.0.5:8118

- presuming the the IP address of your computer is 192.168.0.5. Essentially, we are only asking Privoxy to accept connections from other computers/devices on your network.

1.2 Configure the proxy settings on your receiver to use Privoxy
In your receivers Proxy Settings, enter the IP address of the computer on which Privoxy was installed. Enter port # as 8118 unless you changed it in step 1.1 Remember to save your settings before exiting the Network Settings menu.

At this point, you should still be able to browse and play the radio stations which worked prior to using the proxy server

2 Modify the XML response from Xiva to add our own menu items and stations

2.1 Right click on privoxy icon in the systray, choose Edit -> Filters. Add the following two filters (just paste the following code for now).

Remember to save the file after modifying it.

FILTER: AddMyGenre
s//MyFavourites<\\/Name><\\/Genre>/ig

FILTER: AddMyFavouriteStations
s/<\\/IRStationList>/1<\\/ID>Radio Masala 128<\\/Name>http:\\/\\/192.168.0.5\\/webapplication1\\/RadioMalasa.pls<\\/URL><\\/IRStation>2<\\/ID>DesiSounds<\\/Name>http:\\/\\/192.168.0.5\\/webapplication1\\/DesiSounds.pls<\\/URL><\\/IRStation><\\/IRStationList>/ig

The purpose of AddMyGenre is to add a new Genre to the list obtained from Xiva. For us, its just a way to add a new menu item under which we can group all our custom radio stations. AddMyFavouriteStations filter will add the information of the stations we wish to add. To add more stations, you can add more ... tags (and when you do so, be sure to escape the XML, especially the '/' character with the escape character '\\' as I have done here.) For the time being you can use the code shown above to first make sure that you can play your own custom stations. Basically, we are just doing a "search & replace" (using regular expressions) on the XML received from Xiva. For more details on using filters, see the Privoxy documentation.

Once you have added the filters, you need to make sure that these are applied only to the appropriate URL's. For this, Right click on Privoxy icon in the system tray, choose Edit -> User Actions. Add the following lines of code to the very bottom of the file and save the file

{ +filter{AddMyGenre} }
/.*IRDS\\/irds.jsp.*

{ +filter{AddMyFavouriteStations} }
/.*Genre=99.000

The first filter will add our Genre (just a new menu item for us) when irds.jsp is requested by the receiver. The second filter will ensure that our stations show up only when Genre code 99 is requested (our custom Genre code)

To ensure that the changes made by you are working OK, configure your browser (firefox ?) to use the Privoxy proxy server - (remember that Privoxy is configured to run on port 8118 by default unless you changed it in step 1.1 above. Access the URL
http://portal05.xiva-net.com/~prullman/irds.jsp

You should now see a new Genre with the name "MyFavourites".

Then access the URL
http://portal05.xiva-net.com/~prullm...f&Genre=99.000

You should now see XML with two radio stations "Radio Masala 128" and "Desi Sounds"

Verify the same on your receiver as well... Navigate to Genres -> MyFavourites -> Miscellaneous -> (our two stations) Its not going to play em yet, but you should at least be able to see the two items.

3. The web server.
It seems that my receiver does not recognize playlists in the m3u format and the server from which I am streaming only has playlists in the m3u format. So, I got the URL from the .m3u file and saved the same as .pls files which the receiver recognizes. Basically, you just need to create two files RadioMalasa.pls and DesiSounds.pls with their contents as shown below.

RadioMalasa.pls:
[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=1
File1=http://213.251.129.40:80
Title1=Radio Masala
Length1=-1

DesiSounds.pls:
[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=1
File1=http://desisoundz.com:8000
Title1=Desi Sounds
Length1=-1

Create a virtual folder in your web server called "WebApplication1" and save the above two files in the physical path pointed to by the virtual folder "WebApplication1" If you would like to create a virtual folder with a different name, make sure that you provide the appropriate path in the XML used in FILTER: AddMyFavouriteStations section above

Some radio stations contain multiple entries in their playlists, but the receiver recognizes only the first entry - in such cases too, you would want to create multiple playlists files and host it on your web server as done here.

Thats it... you should now be able to play and taste the new stations we added. You might have to restart your receiver for it to recognize the new stations. Mmmmm.... yummy.

To add your own stations:
1. Create appropriate .pls file and host it on your web server.
2. add more ... tags to FILTER: AddMyFavouriteStations (remember to escape the characters properly)

enjoy... !

PS1: If you do not wish to go the web server way, you can use Privoxy to replace the URL from an existing station with the one of your choice.
PS2: The receiver does not use Nettune to play internet radio stations in any way... so users of other OS's should also be able to play internet radio stations as long has they have Privoxy or a similar tool. I'm sure they will be able to customize this technique to suit their needs - like presenting the receiver with the XML with your favorite stations using a server script without bothering to go to the Xiva portal as we are doing here.
PS3: NVBoy... fasten you seat belt this time... I don't want you to fall off your chair and get hurt )
PS4: Where is that gentlemen who offered money to be able to play stations of your choice ?
PS5: Its been a long day and I'm tired... please excuse any spelling/grammatical/technical errors. Hope I have not missed any important detail here. Suggestions/comments/criticism are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 442 Old 02-12-2006, 01:57 PM

ebirbal - Do you have to US or Europe model of the 801?

I have tried to use the Wake on LAN feature for ever but nothing has ever flashed. My US Receiver sits in standby mode all the time while I think the European model has a real OFF button.

Interesting discovery about the key combinations tough. I must find more...

As for the Proxy server... You use the Amp's IP address for the Listen-address?
For some reason I can only use my own computer's address not my amp's.
If:
Computer: 192.168.123.100
Amplifier: 192.168.123.200

The .200 address gives me an error but the .100 doesn't. Admittedly, I did not read the manual yet since I am SUPPOSED to be doing homework now. Your post was just too cool and I just had to give this a quick test.
post #93 of 442 Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 PM

My bad, MrSpork - you need to enter the IP of your computer and not the IP of your amp. Thanks for pointing this out. I've corrected the original post.

As for the amp, its a US model purchased sometime in August 2004. The power LED blinks only when the wake on lan is turned on and you put the amp in standby mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 442 Old 02-14-2006, 04:24 AM

Hi I'm using Nettune V1.10, and am having trouble importing songs to Nettune with Italian and japanese names. They come up as "No Title" and won't play. Any help appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.
post #95 of 442 Old 02-14-2006, 04:34 PM

ebirbal....so when are you going to be in the New Jersey area? I'm totally confused. I knew I should have studied computers in college! I'm dying to stream music to my Onkyo, but your instructions might as well be in Japanese. Thanks for the effort though! Now, if I can just find an IT guy to get this to work.
post #96 of 442 Old 02-14-2006, 04:39 PM

I've purchased Integra DTR-7.4 a year and half ago and Nettune/Internet Radio feature was one of the important consideration. I have no problems playing my encoded CDs (GUI is bad, but I can live with that) .

However, their Internet Radio supplied by Xiva looks like not just bad service, but sort of hoax.

I had no problem in connecting to it using D-Link 624 router., but the list of stations they supply is ridicolous. They claims "hundreds of station" - indeed hundresds are listed but they don't work. I has done regular checking and it's not the situation they off air, they NEVER connects, even when I can play them on computer.

I called Customer Service of Imerge corporation in England 4 months ago (they developed XIVA) and asked what's happened they told me it's Onkyo/Integra problem (to the credit of Imerge/Xiva they at least reachable by phone) and I should expect improvement in a month or so when Onkyo/Integra supplies them with new software, nothing happens since then - from vast number of station listed only few
are available. NEVER I was able to see meaningful song/artist/ information on display

On Xiva website there is a link which supposed to lead to Xiva Internet Radio portal where the list of station and corresponded info is available - this link leads nowhere (I asked about it. the cheerful folk from other side of tlantic answered "yee, we removed it a while ago" and "no plan to renew")

Part of the pay for DTR-7.4 included the Internet Raio service and my impression Integar/Onkyo and/or Imerge/Xiva has been cheating customers shamelessly.

Any thougts what's possible to do (of course I also e-mailed both Imerge and Integra with no answer). Tried to reach Integra Custome Service by phone and gave up after more then hour of waiting
post #97 of 442 Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 AM

IMHO, its Onkyo that entirely at fault. It was Onkyo's decision to partner with Xiva and and it was Onkyo who got the money from me when I purchased their product, and so its Onkyo's job entirely to sort things out with Xiva (IF Xiva is at fault, that is.)

To draw and analogy, if Onkyo ships a product with a faulty capacitor, they cannot absolve themselves of all responsibility by pointing fingers at the company who manufactured the faulty capacitor.

On top of that, its the receiver that is not able to play streams, even though they are are actually being streamed just fine from Xiva. I've made a post in this thread with one such example where my receiver was not able to play a stream which Windows Media Player was able to play just fine. You can test this for yourself, buy getting the URL's of the various stations using the links I've given in my previous posts. In particular, the receiver has trouble playing many WMA streams. I even tried streaming from my own computer in different WMA formats, but the receiver simply displays "no connect". I have tried at least a dozen different stations streaming WMA but it wouldn't play any of them ... on the other hand, it handled ALL Mp3 streams very well.

I'll make a post in the NR1000 owners forum to check if they can play WMA streams as the NR1000's have an updated firmware.

Its a pity they chose not to let users play their own stations as the receivers are capable of playing custom radio stations.
post #98 of 442 Old 02-15-2006, 11:58 AM

Oykno, I'm sorry I couldnt make my post more easier for everyone... I know its too "technical" and given the fact that I am not a native English speaker, it just makes things worse. Let me assure you though that its really quiet easy to set up your system. Its just the language in my post that makes it appear confusing and difficult... and I'm sorry for that. If you can use these forums, you are technically qualified to do it! I'm sure, you should be able to set up your system with ease.

I can guide you step by step in getting this set up for you and perhaps you can help me rephrase my post to make it easier for others to set up their systems play their favourite stations...
post #99 of 442 Old 02-15-2006, 11:55 PM

Hi Ebirbal !

I do agree that it's Onkyo problem and I think they took a calculated risc by providing absolutely unadequate service and counting that nobody complain and looks like they were right.

I am going to write them additional letter describing Internet Radio problems with warning that in case of no answer I'll send this letter to a number of forums, hi-fi magazines and review sites which published reviews about their Nettune enabled products - DTRs and NACs as well as filing complain with BBB regarding "truth in advertisement"

I have no illusion regarding results, but if other people do the same maybe it changes something.

Thanks for publishing instruvtions how to add station using privoxy server, I've installed it and over weekend I try to add few stations.

BTW, I tried to use it with firefox to check if it is installed OK and found out it slows web access down (not a lot but you don't need a stopper watch to feel it) Well, I have 650Mghz ell laptop, may be on new machines it will be OK
post #100 of 442 Old 02-16-2006, 10:11 AM

t246,

Privoxy was actually developed to sanitise web pages by stripping annoying popups, ad banners, javascripts, word filters and such... thats the reason it appears to slow things down as the html goes through several fiters before it actually reaches the browser. However, you need not use it for your regular browsing. The only time Privoxy will be used is when the amp queries the Xiva portal to search for radio stations which occurs over HTTP. The streaming of actual audio also does not take place through the proxy. The way I use it is, I manually fire it up whenever I want to play internet radio though my receiver. My browser is not configured to use Privoxy for normal browsing. The only time I configure my browser to use Privoxy is when I want to check the Xiva response for debugging. Maybe you can do the same too.

If you are very particular about the speed, you can edit the various config files and remove all (unnecessary) filters as they are all user configurable - hopefully that will speed things up a bit.
post #101 of 442 Old 02-20-2006, 09:02 AM

Ebirbal: I am going to try your solution vis-a-vis adding internet stations. Could this also be applied to stream either a cd playing on my computer or a windows media/real player stream to go to the receiver? Thanks for your help on this.
post #102 of 442 Old 02-22-2006, 04:50 PM

You would have to host a streaming server on your computer that has access to your CD or WMV files and add your computer's IP address instead of the Internet radio station. (There are plenty of free ones out there.) You still won't get control over your CD player like pause/skip but the audio should work.
post #103 of 442 Old 02-23-2006, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sorry for changing gears on everyone (and downshifting severly from what's been discussed) but I'm in desperate need of help and this seems to be the experts corner.

I've had my DTR-7.4 for about 1 1/2 years but only recently looked into the Net-Tunes functionality. I got my router installed and the PC working with it. Long story short, I found out after days of looking that I needed to install Net-Tunes on my computer to make this all work. There is no mention in the manual or on the Integra website detailing the receiver about needing to this. Very odd. If that gave anyone a good chuckle, glad to help. Anyway, I got it installed, built my database, and now my receiver recognized my computer as a server. It looked like I had everything set. However, if I'm in the MSRV mode (with Album, Artist, Genre and Playlist displayed) or the IRD mode (with Genre, Location, or Language displayed) my screen/receiver sticks on that first option (Album or Genre) and I can't pick anything else. No songs are displayed from the computer and no internet radio stations are displayed. I made sure the computer is recognized as a server but that's as far as I can get it. I can move through all the menu settings for IP address and other stuff but when I get to those music options screens nothing happens. And I've let those screens sit for over an hour with no change. Am I missing something on the receiver end or is something misconfigured with Net Tunes? I'm desperate. If anyone can help I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks.
post #104 of 442 Old 02-23-2006, 06:53 PM

You can see your computer so there is a successful connection. hmmm...

#1) check your computer for a firewall and if you have one, allow access through the net tune port. The server software may be using a different port of interrupted. Try to find your firewall log since that may have clues to what is going on.

My second guess would be the files on your computer are encoded in a format/bit-rate your DTR can't play. I don't know the specs, but that is a common problem with some Onkyo Net-tune setups where some songs out-right don't work.
post #105 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 08:05 AM

I posted this awhile back and it may help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartmanS4 View Post

Are you using the original remote?
I had the same problem when I was using my Harmony remote until I managed to get it programmed right. The up/down/fwd/bk and select buttons are different when the remote is in NetA mode. And the buttons on the front panel don't control those functions you must use the remote.
I hope this helps.

post #106 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 08:57 AM

post #107 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 09:00 AM

(2)
post #108 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 09:00 AM

Sorry (3)
post #109 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 09:01 AM

(4) again
post #110 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 09:01 AM

I successfully got Ebirbal's method to work. By the way, thanks for the detailed "how to". Nice work! I just wish this solution was around 2 years ago when I first bought the receiver. I have added 20 high quality mp3 radio streams to my customized list. The only problem that I have found is that you cannot bookmark these streams for convienence. This is even when you are still running Privoxy on your network. You get a "not connect" because the receiver is not actually bookmarking the URL, but a reference ID string that is sent back to the Xiva server such as this one:

Feb 24 10:45:36 Privoxy(03504) Request: http://www.xiva-net.com:80/services/...ms-asf&ID=0202
Feb 24 10:45:36 Privoxy(02724) Request: portal05.xiva-net.com:80/services/irds.jsp?Format=audio/x-scpls%20audio/x-mpegurl%20application/vnd.ms-asf&ID=0202
Feb 24 10:45:37 Privoxy(01388) Request: portal05.xiva-net.com:80/~prullman/irds.jsp?Format=audio/x-scpls%20audio/x-mpegurl%20application/vnd.ms-asf&ID=0202
Feb 24 10:45:37 Privoxy(03896) Request: http://www.loudcity.net:80/Portals/0...en_160_MP3.asx
post #111 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 09:14 AM

I made sure the Windows firewall was disabled (was using Zone Alarm instead) and the router firewall was disabled. I then totally unsintalled Zone Alarm, figuring just shutting it down might not be enough. So there was nothing blocking the path.

As for the songs, that my be possible but it doesn't explain why I don't have any stations listed on the internet radio part of the functionality.

I noticed in the Net-Tunes app that when I double click on the picture of my receiver I get the Client Information box to pop up. It shows the Client Name, IP address, and Client Status. In that Client Status section it shows the name of my server (PC), Status and Volume. My status says "Stop". Is this normal?

Also, if I double click on the server (PC) I get a box to pop up showing the Server Settings. A button on that screen is for Firmware. If I click on that button I get another box to pop up showing any firmware found and giving me the option of adding or removing. I have nothing listed in there. Should I have some sort of firmware listed?

I don't know if these are issues causing my problem or not. The bottom line is that my computer recognizes my receiver and my receiver appears to recognize my computer but I can't get any songs or stations to appear. I even had a friend who is a programmer come over to make sure I am understanding the process correctly and have everything hooked up and installed as it should be and he confirmed I did. There must be something missing from this equation and I am totally out of ideas because I'm not an Integra expert.

And speaking of them, I called them at 9:04 AM, right after they are open. I've been on hold since. 3 hours, 11 minutes and counting.

I'm desperate for help.
post #112 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 09:18 AM

BartmanS4,

I used the remote as the manual indicated it should be used. Are you saying there's something different I need or should be doing from what the manual is telling me? I did see your post before and immediately ran back to the manual to make sure I was using the right buttons but nothing I tried with the remote pursuant to what the manual said made a difference.

Am I misunderstanding you?
post #113 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 09:38 AM

Hey Weapon,
No you're probably not misunderstanding me. When I had my problems I was using a universal remote that was not quite setup correctly. If you are using your original remote and when you click the round select button the NetA button lights then you're OK. The symptom you describe is exactly what I was seeing though. My remote could scroll up and down but the select button didn't work to enter an artist or genre etc. or to play a song.
post #114 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 09:58 AM

Well I was really REALLY hoping that would solve my problem. I guess I'm still SOL. If there is anyone that can help I'm all ears.

I'm probably going to stop by the store where I bought the unit and ask them if they can help. Integra is obviously striving to be the worst customer service support ever.
post #115 of 442 Old 02-24-2006, 10:30 AM

I hate to say it but I've completely given up on Net-Tune. Even when you get it working it is sorely lacking in features and functionality. I just ordered a Squeezebox 3 today. I'll still use the Integra just not to serve media. One of the things I want is the ability to stream FLAC files. Good Luck
post #116 of 442 Old 02-25-2006, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ebirbal,

Thanks so much for the excellent sleuthing! I've grown accustomed to not ever getting any positive information from this forum, so I tend to rarely check it anymore. I was pleasantly surprised when I did! Not sure if I'll give your approach a try or not, as I rarely listen to much on my receiver anymore, aside from movies. The funny thing is, when I first got my 801 & hooked everything up, I was able to get virtually 90% of the stations listed to tune in. I really wish Onkyo would address the issue directly, but I guess that's just asking too much. All of my emails to them have gone unanswered, which was to be exected.

t246,

If you send something out to the BBB or whomever, please post it here. I'll be more than happy to complain to the same parties myself.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #117 of 442 Old 02-27-2006, 01:57 AM

Hi weaponx,

Do you use the right PC name? I used something like "Ben-Desktop" before as my PC name the got the symptom like yours. When I changed the PC name to "Desktop", everything worked suddenly. So maybe you want to give it a try to change your PC name to a simple alphabetical one.

Another thing.... My NetA does not play WMA files, no matter it's WMA9 or WMA10 (Heard that it doesn't work). But that's OK since I can live with MP3.
post #118 of 442 Old 02-27-2006, 06:08 AM

After all my teeth gnashing and head scratching I solved my problem. I know when using the remote for some things you use the scroll wheel to display the function you want. Then you press the wheel to select it. So with the Net Audio functions I was doing that. I'd scroll to 'MServ' or 'IRD' and then press the scroll the wheel. I'd then try pressing the Artist or Album buttons and get no response. The one button, I believe it's the Playlist button, also is the Test Tone button. I pressed that and the test tone was playing. That got me thinking, maybe the remote is not in the proper mode as the buttons are doing what they should be doing in the Net Audio mode. I got out the manual and read every single letter of every single word of the instructions. It said to use the scroll wheel and when you got the right function on the button row of the display on the remoted would be the words 'Net-Tune' or something to that effect. I remembered whenever I'd use the scroll wheel and then click on the wheel that bottom row was changing to the word 'Amp'. So this time I scrolled to Mserv but didn't press the wheel. I then hit the Album button on the remote. Bingo. I'm getting albums on the screen. I scrolled to IRD and did the same thing. Bingo again. I'm getting station lists. So this whole time my problem was that I was hitting the scroll wheel button when I shouldn't have been. Unbelievable.

For the record, does anyone know what the purpose of pressing the scroll wheel does? It obviousaly affects the performance and purpose of the remote but I'll be darned if I can figure out why it's there.

And after some brief playing it seems I'm now in the same boat as everyone else with the lack of available stations. I clicked on 4 of them last night and none of them came in. Looks like I'll be dealing with 10% of the list like everyone else.

Sorry for the pointless posts but desperation does that to a man.
post #119 of 442 Old 02-27-2006, 07:49 PM

ebirbal,

Well I attempted to give your method a shot and I've come to a bump in the road. I installed Privoxy and configured the listening address to that assigned to my computer. Then I configured my proxy settings on my Onkyo with the same address and port: 8118. Settings were saved. Once done, I was able to browse radio stations, but the Onkyo was unable to connect and play them. So, I turned Proxy to "off" on the receiver and the iRadio was able to play once again. Any ideas?
post #120 of 442 Old 03-02-2006, 07:44 PM

pressing the scroll wheel does a few things but mostly it puts the controller mode into amp mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page