Onkyo/Integra Net-Tune Users - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 442 Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Uapf3,

Quote:

Did you do both firmware updates?

No. Only FWETX901-010003.zip

Quote:

Another observation was that the songs in some albums don't play back in the order that they are shown in win media player. Will the firmware update fix this?

Havent checked this yet... will let you know

Quote:

Does the firmware update destroy your fix for playing your own stations?

Thankfully, no. My fix continues to work just fine.

Maziggy,
Quote:

I still couldn't manage to get my files registered and displayed by the client.

You need to right click on the nettune icon in the system tray and choose "update database". Did you do that ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 442 Old 07-18-2006, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirbal View Post

Maziggy,

You need to right click on the nettune icon in the system tray and choose "update database". Did you do that ?

Yep, did that but although the files will not be displayed by the client at all. The Onkyo says "no albums" and "no artists". Also tried to install the software on a newly installed Windows machine to make sure that the problem cause is not the server host. The old Nettune software is still working properly.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks, Martin
post #213 of 442 Old 07-18-2006, 11:05 AM

Thanks Ebirbal !

No, I think I'll wait to see how your project goes before I risk damaging my receiver. This puppy wasn't cheap after all. And on that note, no, I was actually one of the first people to get one of these when they came out... so nope, I don't have any newer model with new firmware. I get "Not Connected" just as often as you and assumed the stations were likely dead (not transmitting). I guess I didn't think about the possibility of the servers being full or that the receiver didn't understand the stream. As I've said before, I'm used to using Winamp on the PC in the office and all the real stations (i.e., not broadcast out of a college dorm but rather trying to make a go at being a real competitor to terestrial and satellite offerings) are *never* busy. I think I'd be happy if someone could provide me a redirect long enough to set a preset for Club977.com (great 80s station) and SmoothJazz.com (nice relaxing new age jazz for doing work by). Just those two stations would make me happy since they've got extremely high quality streams (smoothjazz just released a plug-in for Winamp that allows for a 192kbit stream even!).

So yes, I'm rather excited about your project.

So it sounds like no harm in doing the upgrade though (other than the fact that I'll have to reset all my surround settings)? The Onkyo USA guys still caution me against installing the patch from the "international" site. Jeez... those guys blab just enough to make me worry that I'll bust something if I don't wait for some "blessed" version from their lab of likely one or two people

P.s. - For my NR900 I only saw the (1) firmware plus the new Net Tune WMP plug-in (the integrated thing). So I guess that makes it easy... although the whole point of upgradable firmware was the ability to add new Dolby decoding schemes to our amps and if they're only offering it for other amps, I'd be a little peeved (unless my one firmware includes it)... hmmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 442 Old 07-19-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOnkyo View Post

So it sounds like no harm in doing the upgrade though (other than the fact that I'll have to reset all my surround settings)? The Onkyo USA guys still caution me against installing the patch from the "international" site. Jeez... those guys blab just enough to make me worry that I'll bust something if I don't wait for some "blessed" version from their lab of likely one or two people

I'm still a bit leery about doing the fw update on my 801. Has anyone heard any confirmation from Onkyo that a U.S. update will be made available? One of the big selling points for me when I purchased the 801 was the ability to play internet radio streams. As it stands now, I only use it to watch movies & the occasional retrieval/play of mp3's off my PC. Still frustrated...

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #215 of 442 Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks ebirbal!

Good to know! I'm honestly not crazy about the Nettune v2 (regular version) since I've noted it creates/deletes a bunch of tmp files that Norton picks up in it's "protected deleted folder". Yes, I could blacklist the location, but I'm just trying to save on redundant I/Os every second. I also plan to update to the new Microsoft OneCare Live for A/V this weekend... so we'll see how they play together.

I'm REALLY excited over the firmware thing since I'm going to be optimistic until I hear anything negative about the internet radio. After all, there are *thousands* of great 'net radio sites out there (just look at the directory in Winamp ... heck even XMRadio is mirrored there!). It would be nice to stream it into the living room and not only listen upstairs. Plus it keeps me from finding an Audiotron, Roku, etc. instead.

Can't wait to hear more!

Tip of the day.
In apdating a firmware update in a hardware, it is extremely essential that one does have proper documentation written explicitly. Most important of all is that the slower the computer the better. Other problems encountered are as a result of too many device drivers initiated upon windows startup at some point system may lockup. That can get nasty. Choose a good RS232 cable. Most cables used for upgrade are "straight through type" RS232. Most consumer hardwares do not use "crossed RS232". For some computers it is best to disable screen saver settings. "you do not ever want either the computer nor the device power be interrupted while upgrading.

eng.desk
ethics
post #216 of 442 Old 07-20-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethics View Post

you do not ever want either the computer nor the device power be interrupted while upgrading.

Here Here. I've bricked some hardware in my time.

Personally I am going to wait a bit.
post #217 of 442 Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 AM

I'm personally excited to try on my NR-900. Especially if it means a higher percentage of stations will work all-the-sudden. And RS-232? Jeez, I thought those went the way of the dinosaur and Apple //e's The NR-900 uses ethernet... but I would definitely plan to kill the screen saver... as well as watch the entire process like a hawk (akin to watching grass grow I gather). But I still do share Spork's concern as I'm sure OnkyoUSA would give me some crap if I screwed up something and didn't use *their* firmware... *sigh*
post #218 of 442 Old 07-23-2006, 04:06 PM

Do these upgrades and firmware work on an NR-1000 as well?

thanks!
post #219 of 442 Old 07-24-2006, 08:13 AM

FYI All - The firmware updates were posted on OnkyoUSA this weekend. I pulled them down and did a comparison and can't see *any* difference in *any* file. We just had to wait (2) months to get their "blessing"...

So my plan is to finally run her some time this week, after I write down all my settings and such. Here's hoping things will work a little more nicely afterwards.

Still got my fingers crossed for ebirbal's project being successful too
post #220 of 442 Old 07-24-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:

FYI All - The firmware updates were posted on OnkyoUSA this weekend. I pulled them down and did a comparison and can't see *any* difference in *any* file. We just had to wait (2) months to get their "blessing"...

I seem to be able to download every firmware update except the one I need for the TX-NR801 (I end up with a zero byte file). I wanted to compare it to the one I got from the Intl. site. Anybody else have the same problem?
post #221 of 442 Old 07-24-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhodat View Post

I seem to be able to download every firmware update except the one I need for the TX-NR801 (I end up with a zero byte file). I wanted to compare it to the one I got from the Intl. site. Anybody else have the same problem?

I ran into the same problem. I tried downloading the update for 901 and it appears it will work with the 801 as well (documentation applies to both devices).
post #222 of 442 Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 PM

Anybody have a link?
post #223 of 442 Old 07-25-2006, 10:07 AM

Okay... I made the leap to finally do the firmware update last night. I used the PDF and wrote down all my surround settings and such. I then went to the PC and ran the updater program for 1.00.18 (for my NR900) and then back to the receiver to start the "Update Utility". It started just fine, it found my "mSVR" correctly, and then I hit enter and when it should have told me my current firmware version, I got "F/W: Not Found" ... WTF????

So I backed out and went to "2. F/W Version" and hit enter. I got "Ver: Unknown" ... again, WTF???

The point of this is that even though it apparently didn't know my firmware, it also wouldn't let me update it with the new one! Once it said "Not Found" I couldn't get to the "Update OK?" to start things off.

HELP??!
post #224 of 442 Old 07-25-2006, 10:16 AM

FYI 2 - Just spoke with Onkyo USA support this afternoon and they're checking into it. Of course (as goes with my wonderful luck) they've had "no issues in their lab".

I also told her, the unit works perfectly, including NetTune, etc. Yes, I want to improve my NetTune reception and such and get the benefits of the firmware update, but nothing is broken in functionality. *sigh* She told me she'll get back to me no later than tomorrow *double sigh*

I plan to also ask about the 901 apparently being able to load the new Integra firmware successfully (or so I've read on other forums) which *can* apparently give you the new ProLogic IIx or something. I'm a bit pissed that new surround decoding formats aren't being pushed to all units. After all that was the big selling point for these things and if I can't get access to it, I'm going to be in not the greatest of moods when I chat with "support".

Anyhow... I did some searching on Google last night for my "unknown" firmware issue and could only find a reference on some german site, which when translated by the Google engine, didn't really help much. The english was a little too broken to get anything out of it.

Hopefully I'll have better luck here... or with support...

HELP!?
post #225 of 442 Old 07-25-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASword View Post

Anybody have a link?

http://www.onkyousa.com/download/software.cfm

FYI:

I spoke to Onkyo USA tech support and they told me they're having problems with their servers which accounts for the problem I've been having downloading the firmware update for my TX-NR801 (zero byte file), and they would contact me when everything is OK.
post #226 of 442 Old 07-25-2006, 01:24 PM

All -

Update on my issue. I just got off the phone with Onkyo USA tech (again) and they were able to replicate my issues by apparently have NetTunes running in the background. So they recommended removing it from the Start menu and rebooting. I told them I typically do a right-click -> exit on it when it starts up and shut it down anyway (only running it when I need it) but she said it apparently leaves a process running (typical crappy software from Japan ). So I need to give this a shot. If it works, I'll report back tomorrow morning!
post #227 of 442 Old 07-26-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They're still having problems with their servers. I'm going to wait for a few more people to report on their success with the firmware before I give it a shot. If it really does help with the internet radio stations, then I'm all for it.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #228 of 442 Old 07-26-2006, 12:30 PM

Success! Apparently the NetTune app is garbage in keeping itself clean on a device and even if you kill the app from the system tray it still leaves (2) processes running in the background... which secretly conflict with the "ntupdate" app. So they need to be killed prior. I used Windows Defender to locate them (looking for things registered to Onkyo Corp) but tech support also recommended just pulling NetTune from your start menu and just rebooting if you don't feel comfortable with that.

Anyhow... afterwards I was able to successfully pull down 1.00.18 on my NR900. Took about 20 mins over my gigabit LAN total.

I can confirm that yes, you should write down all your settings for your ports as they'll all be reset (i.e., what OPT connection is mapped to DVD, Video 1, etc... all that stuff). Oddly, the *only* thing that did *not* get overwritten was my network settings. I didn't need to re-enter my IP, DHCP settings, proxy, etc. All of that was kept... which was good since the UI doesn't make it all that fun to retype

Anyhow... post-update I can report that the Xiva stuff now works nearly 99%. I tried a whole bunch and only one station didn't work. Quality on most were still at a lackluster 32kbit/sec WMA but I was just happy to get the feature working. Next it'll be nice to see if Ebirbal gets his server up so we can all redirect through him for our own settings. In the meantime I made my request to Onkyo/Xiva to start supporting my streams. Hopefully they get off their butts and do it PDQ
post #229 of 442 Old 07-28-2006, 08:35 AM

Success here too. Followed the instructions in the intl version (I have a US NR801) pdf explicitly. Waited the obligatory 20-25mins and hey presto, lots more nettune stations now work. Can't say I got 99% but I was looking for European stations at 0200 their time.

Also did the netune central integrated update - ta for the change SN# tip - a few goes and I got in. Upgraded my WMP from 9 to 10 - got some errors (plugin related) so carried on to the new WMP11 beta. Not sure that WMP11 is needed as its still disables the nettune plugin - since it gets an error. I just left it disabled and manually update the database as per the help file.

All in all, an improvement.

Peter
post #230 of 442 Old 07-29-2006, 07:42 PM

So, uh, anyone have a packet sniffer or do I have to try that myself. I am curious as to how to gain access to this black box and start tinkering.

As for the projects... I am REALLY trying to work my butt off to get some results but things are not behaving. I really, really am! It mostly boils down to trying to installing and running PC software on my Mac. (If only this were a windows-only world you may say... Well, blah to you! ) And having 2 servers on 24/7 is not a financial possibility right now.

On a side note, I actually had a nightmare a few nights ago involving the source code from these two projects. How's that for dedication!
post #231 of 442 Old 07-30-2006, 02:10 AM

Mr Spork,

I used URL Snooper, Seemed to work for me. www.donationcoder.com
post #232 of 442 Old 07-30-2006, 02:56 PM

I updated my TX NR-801 firmware using FWETX901-010003.zip and I also installed Net-Tune Central 2 Integrated. I forwarded the default port in the router to my PC and I can play songs from the library on my PC but I get a "disconnected" message on the receiver whenever I try to connect to the Net-Tune servers. I'm stumped as to what I might be overlooking, can anybody help?
post #233 of 442 Old 07-31-2006, 07:22 AM

What's the "default port" you forwarded? The NetTune port (60039, or whatever)? You don't need to do that since the PC and receiver are on the same LAN subnet. Port forwarding is only for directing specific WAN traffic to specific LAN devices. So no matter what you setup on your port forwarding, you'll be able to stream from your PC. However, if you're forwarding the nettune port to your PC (as I'm assuming here) the Onkyo won't get 'any' of the traffic from Xiva and hence display disconnected.
post #234 of 442 Old 08-04-2006, 12:26 PM

Hello,
I successfully completed the firmware upgrade on my TX-NR801 but am having trouble downloading Net-Tune Central 2 Integrated with my serial number. I've seen posts on this board talking about altering the serial number but not sure what they're referring to. Can someone offer some help?
Thanks!
post #235 of 442 Old 08-06-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevtcmn View Post

Hello,
I successfully completed the firmware upgrade on my TX-NR801 but am having trouble downloading Net-Tune Central 2 Integrated with my serial number. I've seen posts on this board talking about altering the serial number but not sure what they're referring to. Can someone offer some help?
Thanks!

I just inserted 0000001 after the first three digits in my serial number and it worked for me...
post #236 of 442 Old 08-06-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:

What's the "default port" you forwarded? The NetTune port (60039, or whatever)? You don't need to do that since the PC and receiver are on the same LAN subnet. Port forwarding is only for directing specific WAN traffic to specific LAN devices. So no matter what you setup on your port forwarding, you'll be able to stream from your PC. However, if you're forwarding the nettune port to your PC (as I'm assuming here) the Onkyo won't get 'any' of the traffic from Xiva and hence display disconnected.

Thanks CJ, I guess I'm at the point where I just forward ports in my firewall without thinking . I made a mistake in my original post, port 60039 was actually forwarded to the Onkyo which I gave a static IP. Does it stream everything on port 60039 or does it also use port 80?

I got a Roku M500 (the discount code is still good - M5SUMMER9) and in less than a minute I was listening to internet streams and inserting my own URLs, if only NetTune was that easy .

I'll keep trying to see what's the problem and post the solution if I can find one.....
post #237 of 442 Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 AM

Yes... if only... but at least now I've been finding streams left and right that while their quality is only so-so at least it's net-based music finally I feel like our own streams are within reach... essentially if the receiver can see the firmware update utility this easily then we should be able to stick a custom app in there to set up custom URLs.

Heck, I'm amazed they didn't set this up like Turtle Beach did their great little Audiotron. Essentially you setup your own account and populate your presets there. When you power up the device, it calls the site and poof, all your presets are set. They could *easily* combine this customizing functionality with the Xiva search (for those thousands who likely have never gotten into online radio before but would like to). *sigh*
post #238 of 442 Old 08-09-2006, 10:35 AM

Hello everyone. First of all, thanks for all the great posts, it has helped quite a bit with my TX-NR801. I wonder if the new version of Net-Tune will work without having to update the firmware. I read that is a requirement, but wanted to double check with the group.
post #239 of 442 Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirbal View Post

CJOnkyo,

You can patch this to make it look at say, an IP on your network (I can provide you with the complete Xiva "protocol" that we have already developed) and see if you can play your own stations.

Ebirbal - I've been looking for the XIVA protocol - I've gotten some raw "sniffs" but there's a low S/N ratio in all the stuff captured.

Is the protocol something that you captured that the Onkyo receiver is actually using to speak to the XIVA site - or to NetTunes?

Can I get documentation of the protocol from you?

Regards,
Mark
post #240 of 442 Old 08-09-2006, 03:31 PM

This is more than you ever wanted to know...
http://sporknet.game-server.cc/~web/XiVALink.zip

Oh yea. I guess I should update a bit. My summer is winding down pretty quickly and I have to pick classes again. Ugh. Anyways, the .NET solution never did run successfully on my computer and since I spent the last month on that alone, I am making a last-ditch effort on the PHP solution.

If someone has a old laptop that runs .NET, I'll pay shipping. (Desktops use to much power and I have to hide it from my server-hating overlords) My Bro just got a new laptop but I'm not sure he wants to part with his old one anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page