Onkyo/Integra Net-Tune Users - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 442 Old 08-09-2006, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
cao73,

You can install the Net tune central integrated and it will work. You may end up with some of the issues in my earlier post around playback order, but that will be no different to what you have now. It is worth doing just for the windows media player versatility. When you do the firmware update this will rectify itself. Mine did anyway. The test album I used was Aerosith Pump. No comments on taste now.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 442 Old 08-12-2006, 07:24 AM

mswope63,

I dont have much idea about the NetTune Protocol; but this is what I know about the Xiva Internet Radio Protocol:

The receiver makes HTTP calls to http://portal05.xiva-net.com/IRDS/irds.jsp which responds by presenting different XML documents based on the query string parameters passed to it. There are basically two different XML document schemas - one contains the list of available Genres, Locations & Languages and the other contains a list of radio stations.

When it connects to Xiva for first time (upon startup), it gets the list of Generes/Locations & Languages available and subsequently uses this information to get the list of stations based on the selection you make on the receiver. The list of stations can be retrieved based on Location/Genre/Language or the ID of the station like this:

http://portal05.xiva-net.com/IRDS/ir...f&Genre=10.000

When you choose a particular station on your receiver, it calls irds.jsp with the appropriate ID of the station. Ditto when you select any preset stations:

http://portal05.xiva-net.com/IRDS/ir...d.ms-asf&ID=63

This about sums up the Xiva Internet Radio Protocol. The whole protocol can be put together in a day or less. I hope this explains it a bit.
post #243 of 442 Old 08-13-2006, 07:29 PM

It's so simple it sounds like we could almost temporarily setup the receiver's proxy server with an address to a mini-app that provides the XMLs to the receiver and fools it into thinking it's actually reached the WAN (but hasn't). I guess there are a few other nuances that prevent it from being so simple... but in the worst case someone should be able to run something as lightweight as a web page that mirrors the functionality of Turtle Radio for the Audiotrons... with secure accounts and all that and we just repoint. The pseudo-proxy would take care of making it look like it came from the right place.

Amazing that they just don't allow such a simple thing at this point. Even more amazing is that I heard a rumor over a year ago that they were running firmware in Japan that allowed direct entry *and* could stream pictures over the thing and output via the usual menu composite out! That came directly from a tech support guy in NJ... but after two successful chats and subsequent anticipation, nothing came of it. *sigh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 442 Old 08-13-2006, 08:36 PM

Hmm, what a brilliant idea!

But ohh! pictures! Now that is one heck of a rumor.

Fresh rumor blood... mmmmmm tasty!
post #245 of 442 Old 08-14-2006, 02:01 AM

Yeah, I was thinking on the same lines too while working on my project; but like you said, there are a few nuances. From a practical point of view, the most important thing is how to identify individual receivers so that it can be presented with the right list of (customized) stations.

1. Using IP's to distinguish receivers wouldn't work for people with dynamic IP's (myself included)
2. Cookies. IF (again, IF) the receiver is able to store cookies, it might just work. BUT before you place a cookie, you still need to make sure you are storing the cookie in the right receiver and not any random receiver connecting to our service. This brings us back to square one.
3. I did notice some "numbers" being passed as PRAGMA headers by the receiver while making the HTTP requests, but can't recollect if those headers were present for ALL request (which is what we want) or only while requesting the actual stations/playlists. Will have to check on this one. If this works, this would better than using cookies. But just like with cookies, we first need to establish the right receiver for the right user (account)

Of course, before all this happens, we first got to go "live" with anything at all . I do have it in my roadmap though
post #246 of 442 Old 08-14-2006, 08:07 AM

Liked: 11
Ebirbal,
Thanks - i'd gathered most of what you'd posted from the caps that I have. I'd hoped that someone had a grasp of the Net Tunes protocol - it doesn't seem to line up with what Xiva has published with their protocols.

Mark
post #247 of 442 Old 08-14-2006, 08:14 AM

Ah.... It just keeps getting worse...
I tried to do the update and the receiver reports a failure after 99% of the first file.
There's no way to do the other two files.

Interestingly:
- the firmware version is reported as the latest version - 1.00.03
- after trying about 6 time to use the Onkyo firmware updater that came with the firmware, I found that I could restart the onkyo Net Tunes server and use it to serve the firmware too. (when using the Onkyo firmware updater, I did kill the NetTunes server, kill its startup and rebooted my machine).

It still fails at 99%, however. Most annoying - at least this one file is small and only takes about 5 minutes.

Overall, it's encouraging that so many people got their updates to work... I may simply be missing some finer point on the process....

Mark
post #248 of 442 Old 08-14-2006, 08:54 AM

Silly me... I was downloading from the OnkyoUSA site. I'd noticed that several people referred to the international site and Net Tunes Central Integrated... I set out to find it and found... different software?

I'll try it and see if this stuff works - I've nothing to lose now...

BTW - for the curious - the International site's download url is : http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/n...oad/index.html
post #249 of 442 Old 08-15-2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswope63 View Post

Silly me... I was downloading from the OnkyoUSA site. I'd noticed that several people referred to the international site and Net Tunes Central Integrated... I set out to find it and found... different software?

I'll try it and see if this stuff works - I've nothing to lose now...

BTW - for the curious - the International site's download url is : http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/n...oad/index.html

Well, I got *further* before the upgrade failed. I used the TX901-020003 firmware and it got past the first file okay, but in the second (larger file, I think), it got to 67% slowly, jump immediately to 99% and then failed. I got the same result several times.

Just to recap, I used the firmware downloaded from the OnkyoUSA site first:
TX901-010003 - it got to 99% on the first file and failed. I tried this at least 8 times w/ exactly the same results.

Then I found the Onkyo International site (URL above) and tried the same version of firmware, just in case my copy from the USA site was defective - same result.

Finally, i tried the next version from the international site: TX901-020003. I got past the first file about 2/3 through the second file and got failed again.

In all cases, after the failure, my receiver (TX-NR801) showed the firmware version that I had been trying to download. I'm just unnerved at not having done the full firmware download.

I have noted that the Inettunes work (seem somewhat better, but still not the way that the marketing material would have you believe).

I've updated my NetTunes to the NTC2 Integrated version - it didn't appear to work anymore, but I had to leave at this point.

Overall, I haven't finished putting my receiver settings back in (speakers, inputs, zone 2, etc.) so I can't tell if anything else is amiss, but it seems to still work. So maybe I didn't wreck anything, but still didn't necessarily make things better....

More later...

Mark
post #250 of 442 Old 08-15-2006, 06:16 AM

mswope63,

Why are you using the 901 firmware update when you have a tx nr801? Just a thought or a typo.

Cheers
post #251 of 442 Old 08-15-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uapf3 View Post

mswope63,

Why are you using the 901 firmware update when you have a tx nr801? Just a thought or a typo.

Cheers

Actually not a typo. If you select TXNR801 when you download, you end up with the 901 firmware. I believe that others in this thread have confirmed that the 901 firmware is also intended for the 801. Good catch, however...

Mark
post #252 of 442 Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirbal View Post

Yeah, I was thinking on the same lines too while working on my project; but like you said, there are a few nuances. From a practical point of view, the most important thing is how to identify individual receivers so that it can be presented with the right list of (customized) stations.

Of course, before all this happens, we first got to go "live" with anything at all . I do have it in my roadmap though

The simplest solution to this problem would be simply putting up a communal site that everyone can pull from and add to and not worry about the specific receiver connecting. Essentially, akin to your own Xiva site... but an open one that supports adding stuff instantly. That would be a good first milestone on your roadmap anyway
post #253 of 442 Old 08-15-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswope63 View Post

Actually not a typo. If you select TXNR801 when you download, you end up with the 901 firmware. I believe that others in this thread have confirmed that the 901 firmware is also intended for the 801. Good catch, however...

Give Onkyo Tech Support a call. That's an odd one that I haven't heard. They've apparently had a great success level with these things. Problems typically just arise when there's a conflicting process running on the PC (make sure you don't do anything on it until the update is done). I also kept all heavyweight traffic off my network as well to keep an errant packet from screwing around with things.

Either way, call Tech in NJ. It's free and that's what they're there for!
post #254 of 442 Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM

Anybody have a problem just getting music playing? I'm connected and updated the firmware. the file types are WMA and are loaded in the directory but no tunes....

appreciate the help that's here. I bought the receiver a year ago and just now might get net tune playing today.

Onkyo Tech support is blaming firewalls but nobody has mentioned this.
post #255 of 442 Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 AM

Cheezyrider,

Try going to the old nettune v2 help area of the onkyo site and have alook at the firewall FAQ's and solutions. When I installed NetTune Central Intergrated, I disabled the firewall, but turned it back on when I was finished. The settings I used were exactly the same as when I installed Nettune V2. It all seemed to work ok for me.

Cheers
post #256 of 442 Old 08-30-2006, 02:30 PM

Boy... not much happening in this forum as far as keeping our Net-Tune needs tickled. Ebirbal, anything new on your project to report?
post #257 of 442 Old 09-03-2006, 08:56 PM

I am a new member of this forum. I have a Onkyo TX-NR900. I have read this entire thread and went and downloaded the firmware upgrade and attempted to install it, following all the instructions carefully. When I got to step 7 on Page 4 of "Updating the Firmware", the NR-900 froze with the screen reading F/W: not found. After waiting for a long time I quit the updater and tried to start over by turning off the NR-900 and pushing the NetRadio button and the standby button again, but nothing happened. The receiver is unresponsive to any buttons and the display coninues to show: F/W: not found. What to do next?

I will call Onkyo Tech Support on Tuesday, but does anyone have any advice? I hope I have not ruined my receiver (which worked fine until tonight).

Steve L.
post #258 of 442 Old 09-03-2006, 10:03 PM

I reread the instructions and unplugged the receiver and started the updating procedure over. The second time it worked. I have upgraded the firmware, so now I will try to see if the Net-Tune 2.0 software works and if I can get iRadio.

Steve L.
post #259 of 442 Old 09-04-2006, 01:07 AM

Few! That is a scary situation you were in. Glad you managed to recover and finish the upgrade.
post #260 of 442 Old 09-04-2006, 10:27 AM

Next step: Tried to download the Net-Tunes Central v. 2 Integrated software. They ask for my model number and serial number. I enter the serial number and the message I get back is that it is not a valid serial number. I had this problem before when I was trying to download Net-Tunes Central 2.0 and I had contacted Onkyo then and they gave me a generic serial number. Here is what they said:

"Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support. You can put in this serial number which is 24x1111111, this will allow you to finish the download process to your computer. Again, thank you for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support,
if you need further Assistance feel free to call us at 800-229-1687."

Well that worked before but has not worked to get the Net-Tunes Central 2 Integrated software downloaded. I will call them tomorrow but does anyone have a generic serial number that would work?

Meanwhile, using Net-Tunes 2.0 I was able to actually get the server working and can now play all my daughter's downloaded MP3 files on my receiver. (I seem not to be able to get it to play on Zone 2 however because the second amplifier seems to be dedicated to the surround sound back channel and I cannot free it up to use for Zone 2.) I will start copying my CDs onto the hard drive and creating playlists next. But I sure would like to be able to use iRadio. How many people were able to get that working with the latest software? What is the status of that? Are we ready to file a class action lawsuit yet or have they solved the problem?

Thanks,

Steve L
post #261 of 442 Old 09-05-2006, 07:23 PM

Another post...
post #262 of 442 Old 09-05-2006, 07:23 PM

another post (2)
post #263 of 442 Old 09-05-2006, 07:24 PM

another post 3
post #264 of 442 Old 09-05-2006, 07:24 PM

another post 4 (sorry)
post #265 of 442 Old 09-05-2006, 07:24 PM

Okay, here goes. I have succeeded in being able to use the iRadio feature of my NR-900 receiver. I received very useful tech support from Jennifer in cusotmer service in the US. First, as others had so helpfully alerted me on this forum, the firmware upgrade was essential. It actually turned out to be reasonably straightforward and easy. Net-Tune is needed only to access the mServer (Music Server) on the PC. It must be running for that (but NOT during the firmware upgrade). After the upgrade to listen to iRadio, you do not need to have Net-Tune running. In the US Net-Tune Central 2.0 is the file you want. The Integrated version referred to in an earlier posting is for International users, and some confusion was created in that they apparently need the Integrated version which is on the international Onkyo website. (If this is incorrect, please correct me.) If the Integrated version is somehow better and can be used in the USA as well, let us know that.
To get iRadio working, I had to call TS at Onkyo back. (BTW wait times were very short). Jennifer exsplained that when you hit the NetA button on the remote (Net Audio), the first time it looks for the mServer (PC) and the second time you hit it, it launches iRadio. Duh. Who knew? Then once you have iRadio on the display, you hit the DISPLAY button on the remote and that brings up the screen where you can select 1. Genres 2. Locations 3. Languages. Using the blue scroll/select button you can scroll down to 1-2-3 and selct one of them, then repeat the procedure for selecting the genres, locations, or language, eventually selecting what you want. Then you are in business. Yes, it is true that many stations cannot be tuned in, but I found 20 stations in about 15 minutes of surfing around. Quality, of course, varies considerably.

So, I am up and running. Gave my wife a tour just now and she was impressed. Challenges that remain are to learn how to send it to Zone 2 (will call back Onkyo TS tomorrow) and also how to create a playlist in Net-Tune so that if we have a dinner party, I can "set it and forget it."

Good luck, and thanks for inspiring me to do this and giving me the nudge I needed to solve this two year problem.

Steve L
post #266 of 442 Old 09-05-2006, 08:34 PM

The new Net-Tune firmware for the the Onkyo/Integra/IR top-of-the-line card-based receivers (TX-nR1000, DTR-10.5, RDC-7.1) is now available. It addresses the same issues with Internet Radio (WM 10, etc) that the other firmware updates do.

Eric
post #267 of 442 Old 09-06-2006, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Whew! Just read thru all nine pages of this thread.

I see lots of info on Internet Radio, but not much on Net-Tunes. Has anybody made progress on tackling the protocol that Net-Tunes uses? Has anybody tried using Wine to get Net-Tunes to run under Linux?

PS. Just thinking. Integra has (had) a NAS box (Integra NAS-2.3). That box was some kind of Net-Tune Server and I would bet that box probably ran Linux. So you would think there is already a Linux solution to serve Net-Tunes somewhere.
post #268 of 442 Old 09-06-2006, 06:53 PM

#1) Slockemd: Using zone 2 changes your receiver from a 7.1 system to a 5.1. (Obviously) To change my TX-NR801 go to the menu->hardware setup->SurBack/Zone2->Z2 That should change two speaker out ports to Zone 2. Note that digital audio (S/PDIF or Coax) does not work in Zone 2.

#2) I am going to start Beta testing soon on our little project. I just set up a new DNS server that has a few more options than before and should be switching over. I am also making some wicked hardware changes that don't want to work. Namely a dual WAN router to bridge my DSL and Cable connections. Mr Router doesn't want to cooperate. I have to replace a couple fans in my RAID 5 systems because they are keeping me awake all night. So after all this restarting and downtime I think you guys can give it a try. If you are impatient, drop me a PM and I will give you the site, but there are some bugs to iron out.

I'm a little afraid there will be hundreds of requests all at once to add stations and I want to be prepared as best I can.
post #269 of 442 Old 09-07-2006, 07:57 PM

Well, my massive updates failed miserably. The only thing I got working were replacing the noisy fans in my RAID system. Dual WAN is a bust as I can never get both connections to work at the same time. I am running all kinds of things through the same hole through the floor and it seems that adding 1 more Cat5 cable introduces a RF issue. Buggardy! I may try a different Dual WAN router later. I REALLY REALLY want 9Mbps/832Kbps.

Dear Verizon;
There is DARK FIBER just a block away installed 7 over years ago! PLEASE buy it.
post #270 of 442 Old 09-10-2006, 04:54 PM

Guys I am trying to update my firmware but when I get to the point where it tells you your current version I get the following message in my receiver "F/W: NOT FOUND" WHAT SHOULD i DO?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page