Questions on DLink DSM-520 - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 1954 Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDinn View Post

On D-Link's website they list a 1.06.01 firmware as of April 22, 2008.

support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DSM-520

It seems I can't post a link until I have three posts, so you'll have to add the "http://" yourself :P

-Steve.

Looks like this update does not have any changes/new features.
Bummer...

Note: 1.06.01 is for people that cannot see 1.06 if they currently have 1.05 firmware, due to a bug in 1.05 if the "factory reset" was used (which leads to the wrong update site URL being set on the 520).

Note: This is the same features as the as the 1.06 available via the regular Internet update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1954 Old 05-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Laptop with XP or Vista Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_r11 View Post

I am sort of aware of that as well. I have a QNAP TS-209 Nas that I use and I have heard that the 8000 does not like the Twonky implementation that comes with it. I guess it is somewhat OK as long as I use only SMB.

Are there any devices that will allow you to use a DVD menu off a VOB rip that also has a decent interface to a ripped CD collection and Internet radio? That's all I want, really (but apparently that is alot to ask). I would like to try the active TV and hulu, but I guess I can't do that unless I have it talk to my computer instead.

Thanks for any advice (again!)
Chris

post #1743 of 1954 Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 AM

What's the format? If it is AVI, there is 2G limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet_imp View Post

Is there a file size limit that would prohibit using FF and Skip?

I encoded a video and it was rather large. Just over 2GB. When I tried to FF, it would do so but when I hit Play it took me to the beginning of the video. Pressing the page-down to skip forward or any of the number keys to skip ahead also restarted the video from the beginning. When stopped and restarted I was prompted to restart where I left off and, you guessed it, it started over again.

I re-encoded the video and split it up into 1GB chunks and now all works well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 1954 Old 05-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Yup... AVI. OK, I will keep it under 2GB. Thanks!
post #1745 of 1954 Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 AM

Hi I'm a uk dsm 520 user desperately trying to update from firmware 1.04.05eu to 1.06eu! I've spent hours reseting everything changing ftp server address on my box to the us and back to the uk server. I've downloaded 3 different versions of 1.06 to usb but my box won't read it. So far I haven't come accross the actual 1.06 firmware with the EU suffix - does anyone know where I can get this? I'd really like to get the active tv server which works perfectly on my computer to my box but have run out of every trick in the book as to how I can get it to work. Any suggestions or advice on how to do this would be very gratefully received. Many thanks in anticipation of your suggestions!
post #1746 of 1954 Old 05-15-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday sun View Post

Hi I'm a uk dsm 520 user desperately trying to update from firmware 1.04.05eu to 1.06eu! I've spent hours reseting everything changing ftp server address on my box to the us and back to the uk server. I've downloaded 3 different versions of 1.06 to usb but my box won't read it. So far I haven't come accross the actual 1.06 firmware with the EU suffix - does anyone know where I can get this? I'd really like to get the active tv server which works perfectly on my computer to my box but have run out of every trick in the book as to how I can get it to work. Any suggestions or advice on how to do this would be very gratefully received. Many thanks in anticipation of your suggestions!

The upgrade to 1.06 is not straight forward (the following site has an explanation and the solution - http://www.themediamall.com/blog/?p=16).

I didn't find that site when I originally updated to 1.06 but found an alternative way to update firmware.

1. Go to the Setup
2. Choose Version
3. Press the following keys on the remote: Menu-PageUp-PageUp-PageDn-1
4. Change to the correct FTP server: ftp.dlink.com/medialounge/DSM520. Mine was set to hqftp.dlink.com....
5. Check for new update
6. The DSM-520 should now find the 1.06 software and install it.

I think the USB key solution described in the blog will be marginally easier but I'll let you choose what method to follow. The main advantage you will see on 1.06 is you can now use Active TV (UK users couldn't do this at 1.04.05).

Make sure you set your DSM520 to UK not US before you do any of this.
post #1747 of 1954 Old 05-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Hi again and thanks for your quick reply Splatzuk! Unfortunately I'd already seen and tried the mediamall solution but to no avail. The problem is that the firmware 1.06 isn't meant for the EU and my box won't connect to the US server or read US firmware from usb. I'm assuming that what I need is the 1.06eu firmware but can't find this anywhere though other people seem to be saying they have it. You also mentioned changing the setting for country on my box? I haven't seen an option for doing this anywhere. Is this possible? Thanks for your help and any other possible tryouts or solutions really would be very greatfully recieved as I seem to have hit a brick wall with this one!
post #1748 of 1954 Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 PM

I was searching for a solution to the audio sync problem with jump or FF on an AVI of House. I re-encoded the AVI with this profile in mencoder and the audio stayed in sync:
[mpeg4]
profile-desc="MPEG4/MP3 encoding"
ovc=lavc=1
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4
oac=mp3lame=1

Hope this works for others.

Jim
post #1749 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:

Hi again and thanks for your quick reply Splatzuk! Unfortunately I'd already seen and tried the mediamall solution but to no avail.

I used the USB method OK. The Blog is a bit slim on describing the process. Did you turn the DSM-520 on with the stick in place as I believe it is only during powering up that it looks for upgrade via the USB?
post #1750 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 03:54 AM

When I looked at ftp.dlink.com I could only see one zip file containing one firmware 1.0.6.01. There was no mention of US or EU.

When I did this upgrade using the steps I wrote earlier it automatically gave me 1.06eu - maybe they have taken the eu version off the site or maybe the single firmware installs the correct US/EU version.

When I get home tonight I will see if my DSM520 automatically tries to get this new firmware and will report back.

You don't need to worry about changing the country id for your box if you haven't tried doing this before - I only mention this because there are some instructions on this site explaining how to install US firmware on a EU model - I wasn't sure if you had done this, so ignore my ramblings on this.

Your best bet maybe to download the zip file from ftp.dlink.com/Medialounge/DSM520, unzip the two files and stick them on a memory stick. Put the memory stick in the DSM USB slot and then power on the DSM. See if this starts the update. I'll see if I can do that too if I get some time, but in the meantime please report back what happens.

Quote:

Hi again and thanks for your quick reply Splatzuk! Unfortunately I'd already seen and tried the mediamall solution but to no avail. The problem is that the firmware 1.06 isn't meant for the EU and my box won't connect to the US server or read US firmware from usb. I'm assuming that what I need is the 1.06eu firmware but can't find this anywhere though other people seem to be saying they have it. You also mentioned changing the setting for country on my box? I haven't seen an option for doing this anywhere. Is this possible? Thanks for your help and any other possible tryouts or solutions really would be very greatfully recieved as I seem to have hit a brick wall with this one!

post #1751 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebw7561 View Post

I used the USB method OK. The Blog is a bit slim on describing the process. Did you turn the DSM-520 on with the stick in place as I believe it is only during powering up that it looks for upgrade via the USB?

What version does your DSM report it is using? Is it 1.06eu or 1.06.01 (with or without eu at the end)
post #1752 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 04:20 AM

Whether it is significant or not, before using the USB upgrade method, I had done my change to the Amerivan V1.04 firmware by using my own ftp server and changing the DSM's ftp settings.

I have done subsequent upgrades using a USB stick upgrade and files from ftp://ftp.dlink.com/medialounge/DSM520/ which is currently V1.06.

I have not tried to upgrade using the zipped file from ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Medialounge/DSM520/Firmware/ which, I believe, is the V1.06.01.

From memory, I think my DSM reports the version as 1.06, but I will check tonight.
post #1753 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 04:28 AM

Hi - Uk/Us Ftp site/Usb download/poweron/poweroff - no response!

I think the problem may lie in the fact that the 1.06eu firmware has

been removed from both ftp servers. Can you or anyone confirm that they've

managed to get 1.06 (us versions of which are still available) without the eu

suffix to work on a uk model???? If so how did they get it to read and what

adjustments were needed to upgrade to the us firmware from a uk dsm 520?

Another longshot here: has anyone kept a copy of 1.06eu on their

computer? - I would be eternally greatful if someone could take the troubleto

send me a copy of it as I reckon this is the only way I'm gonna be able to

upgrade and finally use my active tv server (which is the reason why Ibought

my box in the 1st place) A million thanks to whoever can help!
post #1754 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 AM

A bit of a long shot, but is it worth renaming the "DSM520-VerInfo.txt" to "DSM520eu-VerInfo.txt".

Maybe check that your USB stick is FAT16 formatted.
post #1755 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 05:08 AM

Yeah I tried that a while ago too. Any idea if d-link plan to reissue a revised 1.06eu firmware anytime soon- from what I've read they don't seem very helpful or interested in uk users issues? I've looked for postings on how to make uk models accept us firmware that spatzuk tantalisingly mentioned but can't find anything so far. Know any links?
many thanks
post #1756 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 05:32 AM

Hey that could be the problem-vista only lets me format my usb stick to either fat or fat32 but not fat16. Is that for sure it has to be fat16 for upgrade files then?
post #1757 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 05:43 AM

Sadly I agree - I have looked through many of the dlink ftp sites worldwide and cannot find 1.06 outside of the US. Across many European Dlink ftp sites I can only find 1.04.05eu (and this is only on a few European Dlink ftp servers so not every country even gets 1.04.05eu) - so it is looking increasingly more likely that the 1.06eu version was removed since I upgraded.

Sebw changed his DSM520 to the US mode - the instructions are on this site somewhere but I remember thinking it was a bit too much like hard work.

I didn't download the 1.06eu firmware - it automatically installed after I followed those steps I wrote to connect to new dlink server. I can confirm now the hqftp.dlink.com server no longer works - this was the original location stored in the DMS520 which was used to point to the firmware.

I don't know if it is possible to remotely connect to the DSM520 to extract its firmware but can take a look.

Quote:

Hi - Uk/Us Ftp site/Usb download/poweron/poweroff - no response!

I think the problem may lie in the fact that the 1.06eu firmware has

been removed from both ftp servers. Can you or anyone confirm that they've

managed to get 1.06 (us versions of which are still available) without the eu

suffix to work on a uk model???? If so how did they get it to read and what

adjustments were needed to upgrade to the us firmware from a uk dsm 520?

Another longshot here: has anyone kept a copy of 1.06eu on their

computer? - I would be eternally greatful if someone could take the troubleto

send me a copy of it as I reckon this is the only way I'm gonna be able to

upgrade and finally use my active tv server (which is the reason why Ibought

my box in the 1st place) A million thanks to whoever can help!

post #1758 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 05:46 AM

I think Fat is Fat16. I know the format of the stick I used was FAT16.

Link here about upgrading DSM-320 which I used for my initial DSM-520 EU to US upgrade.

http://dsm320.yuku.com/topic/383/t/H...-firmware.html

I just noticed one of the steps was:
Quote:

Rename DSM320-VerInfo to DSM320ww-VerInfo (note the "ww" that we added). THIS IS A KEY STEP.

Maybe try DSM520ww-VerInfo.
post #1759 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 06:03 AM

Sebw7561-you are a genius a million thanks! I just re-read you're earlier post I'd been stupidly trying to rename the files inside the verinfo text but when I renamed the actual file itself it worked! I now have ver 1.06 at last and endless hours of active tv ahead I can't thank you enough for your help my friend! My dsm 520 is at last online!
post #1760 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 AM

Is the DSM reporting it as 1.06EU?

Quote:

Sebw7561-you are a genius a million thanks! I just re-read you're earlier post I'd been stupidly trying to rename the files inside the verinfo text but when I renamed the actual file itself it worked! I now have ver 1.06 at last and endless hours of active tv ahead I can't thank you enough for your help my friend! My dsm 520 is at last online!

post #1761 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Glad to help.
Enjoy
post #1762 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 06:45 AM

Yep firmware version now says v1.0601eu (even though it's not really the eu version just the us renamed). Works a treat so I'm not complaining! Thanks again guys for all your quick replies and help-I hope to return the favour one day!
post #1763 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 06:53 AM

Just one more quick question-I don't know if anyone else downloaded the browser plugin for mce-it works a treat with active tv but the only difference between using it on pc and tv is that my website favourites don't appear when playing through the dsm. Do I need to authorise access anywhere in order to get my favourites on tv?
post #1764 of 1954 Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatzuk View Post

What version does your DSM report it is using? Is it 1.06eu or 1.06.01 (with or without eu at the end)

The version shown on my DSM is - 1.06eu
post #1765 of 1954 Old 05-18-2008, 09:36 PM

I recently bought a DSM-520 a few weeks ago and have been fairly pleased with it so far. There are a couple of issues that I've run into and was wondering if anyone on this forum has seen anything similar.

1) When you open the Artist Folder under My Music, all of the artist names are in lower case even though the IDTag info shows that the first letter of the artist names is capitalized. Is there anyway to change this so it appears the way it is in the IDTag?

2) When you view movie filenames under My Videos, the movies include the filetype (Example: Top Gun.VOB). Is there anyway to display just the movie name without the filetype? I realize I can do this by running Tversity but I would rather run the D-Link software if possible.

3) Anyone know if D-Link is planning a firmware upgrade to fix the cover art problem. Currently I can only get cover art to show up if it's 200 x 200 or under even though D-Link's website states that the 520 will show 300 x 300 and anything larger will be scaled down to fit. I find that 200 x 200 cover art really looks bad when viewed on the TV and really cheapens what in my opinion is otherwise a pretty nice media player.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #1766 of 1954 Old 05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Roku just announced their Netflix box but it's $99. Other companies are planning on incorporating Netflix streaming into their products.

Will the DSM-520 ever stream Netflix?
post #1767 of 1954 Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post

Will the DSM-520 ever stream Netflix?

I thought someone had mentioned that Active-TV may have this capability in the future.. Can anyone add to this?

post #1768 of 1954 Old 05-24-2008, 12:06 PM

Yes, MediaMall (the company that develped Active-TV) is working on adding Netflix Watch Now! to the DSM-520. There is still a bit more work to do, so it is a few months away, but will happen this year.

The MediaMall Team
post #1769 of 1954 Old 05-25-2008, 10:45 AM

Just got a D-link DSM-520 and while it is almost what it is advertised to be, I'm having three problems I hope people can help me with:

(1) First, when displaying photos, all photos are distorted regardless of which option you select including fit to screen or original size. Most of my photos are 3:2 and some are 4:3. Regardless, there is no way to display photos on the DSM-520 without severe distortion.

(2) I get no sound out the HDMI port at all. I had to connect a coax cable and then it worked.

(3) In downloading a few samples like coral reef from the WMVHD site to test 720p video, I get no sound at all with both HDMI and coax connected. Those videos are in WMV format. My own (camcorder) videos in MPG format work fine: I get sound from those.

Are there any known solutions to these problems? I'm running 1.06 on a TH-50PZ700U plasma with the DSM-520 set to 16:9.

Thanks,
Mike
post #1770 of 1954 Old 05-25-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchaney View Post

Just got a D-link DSM-520 and while it is almost what it is advertised to be, I'm having three problems I hope people can help me with:

(1) First, when displaying photos, all photos are distorted regardless of which option you select including fit to screen or original size. Most of my photos are 3:2 and some are 4:3. Regardless, there is no way to display photos on the DSM-520 without severe distortion.

(2) I get no sound out the HDMI port at all. I had to connect a coax cable and then it worked.

(3) In downloading a few samples like coral reef from the WMVHD site to test 720p video, I get no sound at all with both HDMI and coax connected. Those videos are in WMV format. My own (camcorder) videos in MPG format work fine: I get sound from those.

Are there any known solutions to these problems? I'm running 1.06 on a TH-50PZ700U plasma with the DSM-520 set to 16:9.

Thanks,
Mike

With regards to displaying pictures (1920x1080i) in full-screen stretched horizontally, I have reported a bug to DLink technical support via e-mail (never answered), but att1234 has acknowledged the problem, and hopefully put a request for it to be fixed in the next firmware (1.07).

sergioe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page