Hi I want a new TV but I need help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Here's the deal, I currently have an "old" 42' LG HDTV projection.

The thing weight about 250 000 tons and it's one of the ugliest thing I've seen in my life I have it for about 5 years now. I must say the image quality isn't bad but it only support 480p/1080i no 720p and don't even talk about 1080p. I was thinking of getting a PS3 for gaming but also for Blu Ray. However I've heard the PS3 doesn't scale the resolution like the Xbox360 does. So, since my "slim" TV doesn't support 720p it will scale down to 480p

So I'm here, wondering if it'll worth getting another TV... I haven't looked through brand & models for about 5 years and I'm kind of lost in the jungle now. Plasma or LCD? I've also heard about LED now?! Back 5 years ago I think Samsung & LG were the best & LCD was better than Plasma. On Plasma you could get some "burn-in" issue if an image stayed on the screen for a X period of time... Is it still true? What about the Hz? 60Hz, 120Hz and even 600hz. What's the difference? Contrast Ratio, does it's still make a difference?

I'm looking for a 42inches under 1000$ Canadian. I'll mostly shop at Bestbuy.com / futureshop.ca & walmart

Thanks for helping me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 172
The latest for LCD displays is the LED utilized for backlighting instead of florescent lighting. Sometimes these TV's are just referred to as LED TV's. A bit confusing and misleading. LED's give much better contrast and black levels. Depending on what type of array the LED is in you can have excellent local dimming. The 240 HZ motion displays is also the latest and greatest for LCD's right now. The 600 HZ you mentioned is a plasma stat. The burn in issue has been greatly reduced as has the reliability issues.

Anyone else have something to add? I think all of my info is correct if I have made any errors feel free to bash away!

Television: Vizio E70iA3
Processor: Emotiva MC700
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 2200 LR Sub: Danley DTS-10Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-2009, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well to start LED LCD is way out of your price range, especially here in Canada.
The choice of Plasma or LCD will come down to a couple of questions. What is the lighting like in the room that your display is going to go in? How much gaming are you planning to do with it? Are you planning on using it as a computer monitor for regular tasks, frequently? Are the seats in your room all straight ahead (on axis) from where the screen will be?

The hz issue is a little confusing, but both LCD and plasma's really use a 60hz refresh rate. It's just that because of the slower response time of LCD panels they can show some motion lag on fast moving objects. A kind of blurring/trailing, which is becoming less and less of an issue with LCD's. To combat this the manufacturers use various systems that create artificial frames between the actual frames to help smooth this motion phenomenon. 2 frames/sec = 120hz, 4 frames/sec=240hz. Some people complain that these additional frames give the picture an unnatural video like quality, others actually like the look. Plasma's although also at 60hz have a much faster response time, and in general don't suffer from these motion issues. The 600hz is really just each frame of a 60hz signal being flashed on and off 10 times each second. This apparently has some benefit for power comsumption and helps compatability between the different TV systems used in the world, but I don't know if it really has much of a benefit to picture quality. It certainly doesn't make a 600hz plasma five times as good as a 120hz LCD.

Like FF was saying above Burn In is almost a non issue with current plasmas. It can still happen, but is very,very unlikely with any normal usage of the display. What they do still have to some degree is TIR temporary image retention. Which is ghost image that can remain on screen for a short time, after a long period of time with a static image on the screen. Most commonly a bright or white image on a dark or black screen. This phenonenon is also becoming less and less of an issue with current plasmas, to the point where it disappears so quickly that many people hardly ever notice it. In the worst cases it may take some hours of full screen viewing to clear the image. In the absolute worst cases perhaps days. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-29-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn00ze87 View Post

Hi everyone,

Here's the deal, I currently have an "old" 42' LG HDTV projection.

The thing weight about 250 000 tons and it's one of the ugliest thing I've seen in my life I have it for about 5 years now. I must say the image quality isn't bad but it only support 480p/1080i no 720p and don't even talk about 1080p. I was thinking of getting a PS3 for gaming but also for Blu Ray. However I've heard the PS3 doesn't scale the resolution like the Xbox360 does. So, since my "slim" TV doesn't support 720p it will scale down to 480p

So I'm here, wondering if it'll worth getting another TV... I haven't looked through brand & models for about 5 years and I'm kind of lost in the jungle now. Plasma or LCD? I've also heard about LED now?! Back 5 years ago I think Samsung & LG were the best & LCD was better than Plasma. On Plasma you could get some "burn-in" issue if an image stayed on the screen for a X period of time... Is it still true? What about the Hz? 60Hz, 120Hz and even 600hz. What's the difference? Contrast Ratio, does it's still make a difference?

I'm looking for a 42inches under 1000$ Canadian. I'll mostly shop at Bestbuy.com / futureshop.ca & walmart

Thanks for helping me out!

PS3 can output in 1080i if the source is 1080. Some older games are 720p, but almost all new games are 1080p, so they'll show up as 1080i on your TV. Blu-ray movies will play in 1080i.

I have a 6 year old Sony RPTV that supports 1080i/480p and the image looks better on new TVs showing 1080p, but it's not a lot better. I think you may be disappointed. You may have an issue with HDCP with the PS3. My 6 year old supports it a via DVI port, but at the time of purchase, some HDTVs didn't.

I would wait until your current TV stops working and then get a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page