Vizio 551 LED/LCD and Panasonic 65" S1,, side by side screen shots - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 139 Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This thread is not meant to start a LED/LCD vs plasma battle, it is just screen shots I took of both panels at the same time.

In some shots I think the Vizio looks better and in some shots the S1 looks better,,,, and as we all know screen shots cant be used for a deal breaker when choosing a panel.

Personaly, I think what these screen shots do is show that both panels show a very nice picture.

These shots were takin with my Kodak Z612 camera, flash in some, no flash in others, both TV's are out of the box with no setting changes, both HDMI hook-ups from 2 of the same HD cable boxs (no HDMI spliter was used).

Cheers
Davyo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Thanks DAVYO --- To my eyes it demo's the Vizio strength in daylight and I see far more depth of field peering into impact on the Vizio in nearly every photo - especially the grain fields in what appears to be a sequence from Van Helsing - the Panny appears washout with a flatness and no depth of field despite it's perfect HT size. I also see more details in the dark areas of the Vizio than the plasma and exagerated flesh tones on the plasma - red tint and exagerated cartoonish greens.

The plasma should rule in a dark room if you can handle the tendency toward inferior whites on a Panny Plasma - I've never seen a single Panny that didn't have urinated on and dirty whites - while the plate in the photo looks to be a great white --- place a Panny next to a quality LCD and compare the whites and the Panny has striking discolored and dirty looking whites. Also Deep blacks without details = crush. Take a look at Jack Blacks hair and jacket to prove my point.

I've not personally observed this Vizio and never owned one but have observed greatly improved feedback on Vizio's the past year.

The plasma photo's in the fully lit environment clearly point out what a sun filled room will do to washout PQ. Admittedly biased for LCD having owned both in a sunlit room.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #3 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Thanks DAVYO --- To my eyes it demo's the Vizio strength in daylight and I see far more depth of field peering into impact on the Vizio in nearly every photo - especially the grain fields in what appears to be a sequence from Van Helsing - the Panny appears washout with a flatness and no depth of field despite it's perfect HT size. I also see more details in the dark areas of the Vizio than the plasma and exagerated flesh tones on the plasma - red tint and exagerated cartoonish greens.

The plasma should rule in a dark room if you can handle the tendency toward inferior whites on a Panny Plasma - I've never seen a single Panny that didn't have urinated on and dirty whites - while the plate in the photo looks to be a great white --- place a Panny next to a quality LCD and compare the whites and the Panny has striking discolored and dirty looking whites. Also Deep blacks without details = crush. Take a look at Jack Blacks hair and jacket to prove my point.

I've not personally observed this Vizio and never owned one but have observed greatly improved feedback on Vizio's the past year.

The plasma photo's in the fully lit environment clearly point out what a sun filled room will do to washout PQ. Admittedly biased for LCD having owned both in a sunlit room.

I would agree with much of what you say,,,,,, one thing I would comment on though is from owning plasma's and LCD the whites on the Panny S1 are the best whites I have ever seen on any plasma that I have owned.

As far as Vizio's in general, this is my second 55 incher (had the 550 first) and I gota say Im really liking the Vizio brand,, the positive feedback you have seen is well deserved.

Also saw a post where someone mentioned Vizio is coming out with a 65 inch LCD in the very near future, if true that would be very interesting.

Cheers
Davyo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I would agree with much of what you say,,,,,, one thing I would comment on though is from owning plasma's and LCD the whites on the Panny S1 are the best whites I have ever seen on any plasma that I have owned.

As far as Vizio's in general, this is my second 55 incher (had the 550 first) and I gota say Im really liking the Vizio brand,, the positive feedback you have seen is well deserved.

Also saw a post where someone mentioned Vizio is coming out with a 65 inch LCD in the very near future, if true that would be very interesting.

Cheers
Davyo

The whites on Panny are known for being muddy whites. They are not that great. What Panny is known for are the blacks being the blackest.

I am going to upgrade soon, and I doubt I will buy another Panasonic.
post #5 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 AM

OP, you gotta turn down the red in your Panny. I was just looking at that guys face and it his face is red, not skin color.
post #6 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post

OP, you gotta turn down the red in your Panny. I was just looking at that guys face and it his face is red, not skin color.

Like I said in the original post, both panels are out of the box with no changes to any of the settings,,, I figured if I starting changing settings that would make the comparisons unfair.

Just wanted to shoot the pictures with factory settings.

Cheers
Davyo
post #7 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Like I said in the original post, both panels are out of the box with no changes to any of the settings,,, I figured if I starting changing settings that would make the comparisons unfair.

Cheers
Davyo

Making adjustments to get the best picture from each would be unfair? That's the only way they should be compared. Out of the box settings are usually a poor way to judge the picture of any TV set and it's obvious by those pictures neither set is adjusted very well with the Pany to red and dim and the Vizio to bright.
post #8 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 AM

Way unfair when most of the shot's had the camera's flash hitting the plasma in a direct way... Take pics without flash and lets see results.
post #9 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow that plasma looks like crap in the light.. Oh.. but it must be the flash

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #10 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

Wow that plasma looks like crap in the light.. Oh.. but it must be the flash

lol, I love comparisons like this. Take two TV sets that haven't been properly adjusted and put one in it's worst case scenario for picture quality and then compare. So much for the science behind this comparison.
post #11 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So what you want him to put the Panasonic on dynamic and turn the LCD backlight down to 0 Panasonic properly calibrated would still be still be dim dull next to the LCD on any setting, nice try though.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #12 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

So what you want him to put the Panasonic on dynamic and turn the LCD backlight down to 0 Panasonic properly calibrated would still be still be dim dull next to the LCD on any setting, nice try though.

So you would just go buy a TV off the shelf at BB without taking the controller and making the proper adjustments? That's like buying a car without ever taking it for a test drive. To each his own I guess.
post #13 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

lol, I love comparisons like this. Take two TV sets that haven't been properly adjusted and put one in it's worst case scenario for picture quality and then compare. So much for the science behind this comparison.

How is "one" of the TV's in it's worst case scenario ?????????????

As I stated, both TV's were out of the box settings, same exact lighting in the room, the TV's sitting side by side with the exact same feed

Quote:

So you would just go buy a TV off the shelf at BB without taking the controller and making the proper adjustments? That's like buying a car without ever taking it for a test drive. To each his own I guess.

So what should I have done, start changing the settings, and then what, Im sure you would still bitch saying I spent more time and made better settings on one TV than the other.
To start tweeking the setting's would be unfair to say the very very least !!!!!!

Im sorry I did not have each set professionaly calibrated but Im sure you would have found fault with that as well.

As I stated,, clearly stated,,, both TV's are out of the box settings,, to me that seemed way more fair than changing some of the settings on either panel.

And again, I have to ask,,,, "How is "one" of the TV's in it's worst case scenario ?????????????",,,,,

Davyo
post #14 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
No suprise, LCD holds the picture better in the daylight and the pdp far outshines the lcd in the dark.(albeit not calibrated)
post #15 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wz View Post

Way unfair when most of the shot's had the camera's flash hitting the plasma in a direct way... Take pics without flash and lets see results.

Huh ???? there are pictures with no flash.

The top 6 pictures were taken with flash and the 5 pictures below the first 6 pictures were taken without flash,,,, I was for the most part standing directly in the middle of both sets.

Cheers
Davyo
post #16 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 172
i can assure everybody my 65S1 DOES NOT look like anything those pictures are showing. i do not have yellow whites and i can easily hit the recommended 40ftl, how much brighter do you really need it?

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I 2nd zone room: polk lsim 703's
post #17 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:

How is "one" of the TV's in it's worst case scenario ?????????????

As I stated, both TV's were out of the box settings, same exact lighting in the room, the TV's sitting side by side with the exact same feed

So what should I have done, start changing the settings, and then what, Im sure you would still bitch saying I spent more time and made better settings on one TV than the other.
To start tweeking the setting's would be unfair to say the very very least !!!!!!

Im sorry I did not have each set professionaly calibrated but Im sure you would have found fault with that as well.

As I stated,, clearly stated,,, both TV's are out of the box settings,, to me that seemed way more fair than changing some of the settings on either panel.

And again, I have to ask,,,, "How is "one" of the TV's in it's worst case scenario ?????????????",,,,,

Davyo

Were those pictures shot during the day or evening?

I wouldn't bitch about anything if both sets were properly adjusted. Out of the box settings are rarely even close to being properly adjusted and anyone here on AVS clearly understands that. Why would it be unfair to set the TV's properly to where they look the best to at least YOU? Do you know anyone with any hint of AV education that watches their new TV setup right out of the box with never making any adjustments? Why do we see several threads from posters asking for settings on models of TVs then? I wasn't stating it needed to be professionally calibrated but at least fine tuned and set up properly in which anyone who knows anything about electronics should be able to do an adequate job. If not, there are settings on here to help you out.
post #18 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Cheers
Davyo

because of that, this comparison is absolutely useless. And to add to that; still shots mean almost nothing
post #19 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Were those pictures shot during the day or evening?

I wouldn't bitch about anything if both sets were properly adjusted. Out of the box settings are rarely even close to being properly adjusted and anyone here on AVS clearly understands that. Why would it be unfair to set the TV's properly to where they look the best to at least YOU? Do you know anyone with any hint of AV education that watches their new TV setup right out of the box with never making any adjustments? Why do we see several settings for posters asking for settings on models of TVs then? I wasn't stating it needed to be professionally calibrated but at least fine tuned and set up properly in which anyone who knows anything about electronics should be able to do an adequate job. If not, there are settings on here to help you out.

The pictures were taken at night,, around 10 pm to be exact.

As far as making adjustments on the panels I guess we will have to agree that we disagree.
Everyone has a different opinion on the way a panel should look and what they are going to do as far as the settings,, to me it seemed more fair to leave both panels in the default out of the box settings.
Anyways, that was the whole point of the thread, was to show out of the box settings.

Im still womdering about my other question to you,, the,,,, "How is "one" of the TV's in it's worst case scenario ?????????????" question ???

Davyo
post #20 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:

The pictures were taken at night,, around 10 pm to be exact.

As far as making adjustments on the panels I guess we will have to agree that we disagree.
Everyone has a different opinion on the way a panel should look and what they are going to do as far as the settings,, to me it seemed more fair to leave both panels in the default out of the box settings.
Anyways, that was the whole point of the thread, was to show out of the box settings.

Im still womdering about my other question to you,, the,,,, "How is "one" of the TV's in it's worst case scenario ?????????????" question ???

Davyo

I was going off what one poster that said those pictures were shot during the day and that you already said that your room is flooded with windows which I would agree an LCD would be in order then if much of your viewing is done during the day. Even at that, I don't like red faces or neon green asparagus but if that's your fancy then who am I to say it's wrong but to me and I'm sure the majority here, out of the box settings are meaningless?

Just for curiousity sake could you post the settings for both TVS.
post #21 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I was going off what one poster that said those pictures were shot during the day and that you already said that your room is flooded with windows which I would agree an LCD would be in order then if much of your viewing is done during the day. Even at that, I don't like red faces or neon green asparagus but if that's your fancy then who am I to say it's wrong but to me and I'm sure the majority here, out of the box settings are meaningless?

Yes, I do have lots of windows, thats why I took the pictures at night,,,,, I thought that was apparent though,,, in the pictures with no flash the whole room is complety dark,,, I just assumed by the darkness of the room everyone would realize they were night time pictures.

Whats up with saying "neon green asparagus and red faces are "my" fancy" and the "who am I to say its wrong" stuff,, I dont get those comments at all.

Davyo
post #22 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Yes, I do have lots of windows, thats why I took the pictures at night,,,,, I thought that was apparent though,,, in the pictures with no flash the whole room is complety dark,,, I just assumed by the darkness of the room everyone would realize they were night time pictures.

Whats up with saying "neon green asparagus and red faces are "my" fancy" and the "who am I to say its wrong" stuff,, I dont get those comments at all.

Davyo

A comedian with no sense of humor?

Seriously davyo you can't really think those pictures you took of either set are a good representation as I'd be dissapointed in either one of them. Like I said, I would like to see the settings for each of them out of the box and then maybe you can then check the owners threads for each and tweak the settings from some posters that have had each set. That's the only way I would judge a picture and determine which one to keep.
post #23 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 AM

This is totally pointless, and from what it looks like rigged to make the Vizio look good, no bias there right? Posts like this are total crap, weird camera angles, flash photos, on and on. I have no idea what the point is, the ops attempt to counter the last few round of the HD shootout?
post #24 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack8322 View Post

This is totally pointless, and from what it looks like rigged to make the Vizio look good, no bias there right? Posts like this are total crap, weird camera angles, flash photos, on and on. I have no idea what the point is, the ops attempt to counter the last few round of the HD shootout?

total pointless?

I agree

rigged?

Disagree. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by..." I don't want to be mean, but the quote fits. I imagine that these are both fine sets.
post #25 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
GGG

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Funny coincidence...at my snowbird home in AZ I had a Vizio 550 that I purchased at Sam's awhile back. They proceeded to drop the price around $500 not long after my purchase and wouldn't refund the difference, So instead, I just took it back and got a Panny 54" low end S14 series for much less than the lower price of the Vizio.

My viewing area in AZ is light controlled so I have no issues with plasma glare. My HD feed is via OTA and a Dish 622. I calibrated both sets to the best of my ability with an Avia disc.

My impressions comparing the two: yes whites are much whiter and brighter on the lcd, but they are not yellowish as I have seen in older generation plasmas. I could not stand the "soap opera effect" on the lcd and don't have this issue on the plasma. The Panny seems to do a much better job with blacks along with contrast on TV shows and movies, while the Vizio offers better "pop" on sports, especially football games.

All in all the plasma IMO, had better PQ than the LCD in general, but if I was in a brighty lit non-light controilled environment like in my principal residence, It's a no-brainer to go LCD or LED. ( I actually have an older 57" Sharp at home which I am happy with but will eventually get replaced with a 65" LED when enough vendors have product to invoke a price war).

I have a much higher comfort level in the Panasonic brand than Vizio due to some nasty Vizio QC issues in the past returning defective sets, but Vizio has seemed to improve, based on my experience with the quality of the 550. The 551 from what I've seen at Sam's, seems to be a definate step up in contrast over the 550.
post #26 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Liked: 11
davyo,i appreciate the pictures posted by you.while its no surprise that lcds fair better in a lit room,this LCD also is better in a dark room,i guess due to local dimming LED.
but the colors on both are bad,i guess they need to be calibrated.
if you can't get them calibrated at least adjust them both to their best and post some pictures.
i can't see details in Russell crowe outfit in the LCD ,due to the cranked up backlight of the factory settings.
post #27 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'll agree that you can debate the merits of "out of the box settings" for comparisons but for those of you piss'n and moan'n perhaps you can provide us a link to your thread in which you took the time to set your plasma and LCD side by side with the same viewing material and took some photos...that's what I thought. Thanks Dave.
post #28 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

It's a no-brainer to go LCD or LED.

I wonder if someone were to sue these manufacturers for false advertising regarding these "LED TV"s if it would stand up in court?
post #29 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

I'll agree that you can debate the merits of "out of the box settings" for comparisons but for those of you piss'n and moan'n perhaps you can provide us a link to your thread in which you took the time to set your plasma and LCD side by side with the same viewing material and took some photos...that's what I thought. Thanks Dave.

A comparison without have first set up both sets via an objective method (usually a mechanical device costing hundreds of bucks) is somewhat worthless. Otherwise, you are trying to form an objective opinion from someone else's subjective opinion and photography skills! The final insult is viewing it on a poorly adjusted monitor. Too many levels of inaccuracy. A worthless comparison is not better than no comparison. I appreciate Davyo's intent, though.
post #30 of 139 Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

lol, piss'n and moan'n'? I suppose you're directing that at me seeing as how I voiced my opinion regarding comparing sets out of the box. If settings out of the box were both done the same way and by the same methods with the same purpose, then there could be some slight merit to it, but the only way 2 different sets can even be reasonably compared is to make the adjustments or use some-one's adjustments to get at least a satisfactory picture. As each is, they aren't very good pictures. If he doesn't want to take the time that's certainly his prerogative but when I go to a store to compare sets I get the remote in hand and make the adjustments to my liking for each set I'm looking at and then base my decision from that as to which one I want and looks best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page