What to do while waiting for Blue ray 4K - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #151 of 156 Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullybob View Post
I agree with all this. 4K is really quite horrible for filming people. Seeing actors skin pores is not nice. Anyone that has shot someone on RED knows what lengths we go into softening the image.

The areas I think 4K will really shine is nature documentary and sport.

Oh, because sweaty athlete pores are SUCH a joy.... :-P
DavidinCT and fullybob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 156 Old 11-07-2014, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Do you have a source for that or are you just making stuff up?

Also, please explain how a 35mm print is even close to "ideal conditions".
Visit Ken Rockwell's Site.

Of course a film print is not going to meet ideal conditions, but we are looking at only ten percent of ideal conditions with a 4K scan.

If the master has been stored under good conditions then striking a new print should allow a good 4k scan if appropriate adjustment is made for color fading.

If the master is 3 Strip Technicolor color fading isn't an issue.
post #153 of 156 Old 11-07-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Golden citation:
So if you had true 4K resolution in your local theater, everybody would have to sitting in the first 6 rows. Otherwise they wouldn't see any extra detail. Their eyes wouldn't LET them see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 156 Old 11-07-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
Visit Ken Rockwell's Site.
You lost me there at Rockwell. While he can be entertaining to read (with the right mindset), he's a windbag who doesn't know nearly as much as he portrays. A 35mm film print definitely doesn't have 80MP of detail in it.
post #155 of 156 Old 11-09-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Timeline verified

Back when I started this thread, my opinion was that it would be 2 years before physical media 4K content, in the form of 4K Blu-ray, became widely available and I was wondering what to do in the meanwhile. My opinion is now fact. In the meanwhile, we have gotten one current commercially available 3D sound format (Dolby ATMOS), with the prospects of DTS and AURO commercially available concurrent with 4K Blu-ray. I answered my question by purchasing a Sony XBR-79X900B in the brief moment in early summer when it was on offer at a $1.5K discount. I'm really happy that I did because I've had many months of truly superb picture quality with the Sony's excellent upscaler. The big picture shows detail that was obviously in the original 1080P blu-ray recording that I simply couldn't see on a smaller screen and the 4K pixel density means that I don't see any SDE fuzziness that is apparent on the 80" Sharp 1080P display, for instance. Turns out that HVEC H.265 is necessary in the short term to get Netflix 4K and I certainly hope that over the next 2 years Netflix increases it's 4K offerings. HDCP 2.2 not a near-term necessity, but will be for 4K Blu-ray. So, my interim choice was a good one and I'm now content to wait for the 4K Blu-ray spec to be finalized and all the 3D audio formats to be commercially available. On my streaming services, I'm lucky to have 5.1, let alone 3D audio; so a physical media is going to be necessary. When I upgrade in a few years, I'll be able to get a reasonably-priced OLED or microdot LCD display perhaps capable of 12-bit 4:4:4 color, a 4K Blu-ray player, a new 3D audio Receiver (to replace my Yamaha RX-Z11) and I'll be able to do that with full knowledge of what flavor of 4K video connector (HDMI 2.1?, Displayport?) will be necessary in the Receiver, what kind of HDCP will be needed, and what the chroma capabilities of the display will be.
post #156 of 156 Old 11-09-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
M-GO has a few UHD titles in their catalog but I have not yet seen any way to buy or rent them using the app on my Samsung. Nothing yet from Amazon Instant, and Comcast has been pretty secretive about the current status of their plans to offer UHD content on demand. I'm hoping Vudu starts offering UHD titles soon...I own several of their 1080p and their 3D titles and the quality is quite good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page