LG 55EC9300 55" OLED Owners ONLY Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2327Likes

post #721 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Mark Henninger (imagic) gave the LG OLED a 4 out of 10 for motion in the shootout, which is one reason I'm looking forward to seeing a good sampling of 3D on one of these sets. I just have to find time to get to a BB and get a 3D player hooked up to one. I know that in the past I've been bothered by what I perceive as an unnatural blurring of fine detail during motion with other displays (mostly projectors and LCD displays that I've owned). I'm sure other people perceive this effect as pleasing. I believe that many people in the shootout rated both OLEDs similarly for motion handling (low), with the Samsung F8500 scoring higher. OTOH, I've also been bothered by what looks like a motion issue on my Samsung plasmas - similar in some ways to RBE on a DLP. In my very limited viewing of 3D content on the Samsung OLED, I thought it looked phenomenal. Maybe that's simply a result of the much greater contrast of OLED overwhelming any motion "smoothing" that bothers me with other display technologies. I need to see more.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Man I came in here to just see what the general consensus was on the display as OLED is my next purchase (got the wifes sign off if I can sell the X900B for a good amount) and people seem pretty worked up in here already lol.

Anyways has any of the owners who knows how to calibrate a display calibrated this yet?

How is the grayscale out of the box (not what it looks like what it measures), whats default gamma tracking at and can you set the gamma?

I haven't had an LG in awhile an I tried looking at the product documentation on their site and didnt see anything about this unless I missed it.

Is the cyan issue something that can be corrected by calibration or is it not seeing cyan right even if calibrated correctly?

Also the set has ABL correct? What fL can it be put at without it engaging to harshly?

They have Red, Green, and Blue only modes correct?

Also off angle viewing. right now the X900B is complete trash at 90 degrees, and actually at about 70 it is pretty rough imho. Where is this display at on off angle viewing?

LivingRoom: LG OLED77C8P /Oppo UDP-203/Denon X8500H/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 /PS4 Pro/X1X/Switch/AppleTV 4K
Bedroom: LG OLED65E6P / Oppo BDP103D / AppleTV // Office: Sony 55A9F / X1X
ISF Level III Certified, CalMan VideoPro, ChromaPure, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, C6 HDR 2000, VideoForge Pro, Murideo Six-G, Lightspace
post #723 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
Mark Henninger (imagic) gave the LG OLED a 4 out of 10 for motion in the shootout, which is one reason I'm looking forward to seeing a good sampling of 3D on one of these sets. I just have to find time to get to a BB and get a 3D player hooked up to one. I know that in the past I've been bothered by what I perceive as an unnatural blurring of fine detail during motion with other displays (mostly projectors and LCD displays that I've owned). I'm sure other people perceive this effect as pleasing. I believe that many people in the shootout rated both OLEDs similarly for motion handling (low), with the Samsung F8500 scoring higher. OTOH, I've also been bothered by what looks like a motion issue on my Samsung plasmas - similar in some ways to RBE on a DLP. In my very limited viewing of 3D content on the Samsung OLED, I thought it looked phenomenal. Maybe that's simply a result of the much greater contrast of OLED overwhelming any motion "smoothing" that bothers me with other display technologies. I need to see more.
OLED have low response times this should help a lot in 3d

Quote:
Mark Henninger (imagic) gave the LG OLED a 4 out of 10 for motion in the shootout,
he personal said that this is a bit extreme because he got very sensitive to this topic. but he still said this display was not as good as the rest in this test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 363 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Reminder: Keep your ignore lists up to date to increase your enjoyment here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist
Fleat, tgm1024 and vaktmestern like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #725 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

How do we add people? I have a list of people. I have not been able to figure this out with the format change.
post #726 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

I have too question the accuracy of anyone claiming burnin from letter box on BB displays. It is policy that all 9300 run the LG demo loop and not bluray content. No wonder no photos?

The jerky motion is the demo loop is content and nothing like you will experience.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 08-29-2014 at 03:16 PM.
post #727 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
Most LG sets only pass through 2.0.
Can anyone confirm what the 9300 does with HDMI audio? Do you mean PCM 2.0?
post #728 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 363 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 1210

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1205
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	235833   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_lvps7vMoy61qdna0x.jpg
Views:	1201
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	235841  
Turrican4D likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #729 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
Hi,

Marty, an EC9300 owner reported this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGillis View Post
Just did a huge firmware update and motion problems have improved greatly. Night and day difference now.
post #730 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Why is it taking so long for these sets to be available to stores or web retailers other than BB? I can't get anyone from LG to even understand my question when I ask and I've tried more than once.
post #731 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
In my original post about my 9300 I mentioned the ABL issue. I'm pleased to report after using the set for a week now I've never noticed ABL to kick in again. If it's still doing it, I'm not noticing it. It was just that one scene from hell on wheels that triggered it and I actually noticed it. So maybe for me ABL is not such a big issue.
Hi,

you received a firmware update for your EC9300? If yes, perhaps it made ABL less aggresive.
post #732 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Does anyone know how to find out the MAC address of the wireless controller? I see an "Advanced" menu choice under wireless network, but it's grayed out. How do you enable that? I'm assuming it's the same for all the LG smart TVs so hopefully someone knows.

Thanks.
post #733 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
Hi,

you received a firmware update for your EC9300? If yes, perhaps it made ABL less aggresive.
Mine is not aggressive at all. I have the update and have watched numerous B&W content that should induce tons of it. I assume it is operating but at a level that goes unnoticed to me. No visible pumping on any content I have viewed so far.

My Brightness is at 50 and Contrast at 80 with the OLED level set at 38. Perhaps higher levels might induce more visible signs of it. No ABL complaints here.
post #734 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
Anyone else notice the heavy aliasing in the demo content? What is causing that?
I'm not sure what you mean by aliasing. You mean like ghosting or a double image? I've not noticed anything like that. Been to 2 different BBs to look at this set and didn't see that on either.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5500 Blu-ray player
Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
URC MX-780 remote control
post #735 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Do the firmware update, then turn OFF the Tru Motion. Crawls on news stations will be smooth as silk. Same with pans, swoops and glides. Since I figured that out (accidentally, I might add) I am enjoying this TV 100% MORE! This is my 10th LG in 9 years and the very first model where turning OFF the Tru Motion actually improved the motion. Go figure!

It is now a non issue for me. Hope it works the same for everyone else. I don't see why it wouldn't !
Still completely opposite experience on my display, first thing I did was the update. Judder judder judder judder. I can't watch the TV without it or I get a headache.

I dunno i'm just having a hard time believing my set has all these flaws that no one else's does, sure if it's faulty it would usually have a couple errors revolving around the same thing.. but I doubt a single faulty part would ruin my motion processing, the TVs ability to reach rec709 greens, black uniformity on the left and right, improper grayscale, etc.

Going to go have to get a van so I can exchange this, and I'm like 99% sure it's gonna be the same. I could see Best Buy telling me to go screw myself if I want a refund on the 2nd TV. I seem to test my TV way more than Vegas and you, I wish you could throw up a gray scale pattern and tell me if you see it entirely to make my mind more at ease about returning. Your still using my original settings which I moved away from due to black crush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by aliasing. You mean like ghosting or a double image? I've not noticed anything like that. Been to 2 different BBs to look at this set and didn't see that on either.
I think he's talking about the horizontal lines I was mentioning earlier, they are very noticeable (especially on solid colors, animation, etc) when under 9 feet from the display.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 08-29-2014 at 04:25 PM.
post #736 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Hmm in the 9300 specs it says it has 2.0hdmi
post #737 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Do u set the motion setting to user n djudder to 3 on ur oled? that did work on the 2013s
Then u get 600 lines vs 300lines the tv is set on default
post #738 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post
Aliasing is jagged lines. As an example, if you play games at low resolution you see this, unless you enable anti aliasing in the video settings.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #739 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
What is the sound bar LG is offering with this set? I don't have any use for one.
http://www.amazon.com/LG-Channel-Sou...G+Model+NB5541
post #740 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4906
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
Why is it taking so long for these sets to be available to stores or web retailers other than BB? I can't get anyone from LG to even understand my question when I ask and I've tried more than once.

BB has an exclusive on the 55EC9300 (for at least a month, perhaps more :-)
post #741 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Best darn post of the day, now I can enjoy this forum again. Constructive critics are great but when all a member can do is post negative about a display all day, I do not need it. Sorry to some of you ( who wish I would) I refuse to add to this list. Although we don't always agree and you have given me high blood pressure, I respect your input and opinions more than you may realize.
post #742 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
The passive 3D is outstanding. Even better than the 3D on my Sharp Elite, which was already excellent.
Thanks. The little 3D I saw in my clips looked great, but it was far too limited to evaluate 3D performance overall. I had to get almost directly above the set, looking down, to see any ghosting - beyond any normal viewing angle. That's better than on the LG LCD monitor I use to edit 3D, which exhibits ghosting much more easily.

With 3D, it seems there's always a trade-off. DLP projectors don't ghost, but the contrast leaves a lot to be desired. My JVC RS40 projector had the best pre-OLED contrast I'd seen, but the ghosting was terrible. I tried some very tough scenes from commercial discs on the Samsung OLED and couldn't pick up on any ghosting. I've yet to have that opportunity with the 9300, but I hope to be able to test soon. I also authored a short ghosting "torture test" disc. Even if all the usual suspects from commercial 3D discs don't show any ghosting, my disc will reveal it. If I don't see ghosting with this disc, I'm confident no one is going to see it with any normal commercial 3D title.

Joe Clark

post #743 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
Still completely opposite experience on my display, first thing I did was the update. Judder judder judder judder. I can't watch the TV without it or I get a headache.

I dunno i'm just having a hard time believing my set has all these flaws that no one else's does, sure if it's faulty it would usually have a couple errors revolving around the same thing.. but I doubt a single faulty part would ruin my motion processing, the TVs ability to reach rec709 greens, black uniformity on the left and right, improper grayscale, etc.

Going to go have to get a van so I can exchange this, and I'm like 99% sure it's gonna be the same. I could see Best Buy telling me to go screw myself if I want a refund on the 2nd TV. I seem to test my TV way more than Vegas and you, I wish you could throw up a gray scale pattern and tell me if you see it entirely to make my mind more at ease about returning. Your still using my original settings which I moved away from due to black crush.

I think he's talking about the horizontal lines I was mentioning earlier, they are very noticeable (especially on solid colors, animation, etc) when under 9 feet from the display.
If, with your calibrations, you're experiencing the opposite of these other owners, then how can you be 99% sure your exchanged set is gonna be the same?
Exchange the set. If, with the next set, you have the same results, then you can conclude this oled tv is not for you .
Ken Ross likes this.
post #744 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:

I dunno i'm just having a hard time believing my set has all these flaws that no one else's does, sure if it's faulty it would usually have a couple errors revolving around the same thing.. but I doubt a single faulty part would ruin my motion processing, the TVs ability to reach rec709 greens, black uniformity on the left and right, improper grayscale,
OTOH you do seem to be the only one that is having all these issues. That seems odd to me. Either you're more sensitive to these things or your set has issues.

As for testing, I think you underestimate how much Vegas has tested his. Just check out how many displays of different types he's gone through.
post #745 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Best darn post of the day, now I can enjoy this forum again. Constructive critics are great but when all a member can do is post negative about a display all day, I do not need it. Sorry to some of you ( who wish I would) I refuse to add to this list. Although we don't always agree and you have given me high blood pressure, I respect your input and opinions more than you may realize.
Is this directed at me?

I'm one of three (?) owners in the thread and trying to prevent exchanging it by seeing if my issues are normal. You copied/pasted your settings from a review site and have really helped no one. All you do is state how great the display is over and over, but you don't offer any technical standpoints or advice. You tell me you can see all shades of gray scale at 50 brightness on the AVS disc. How about helping a member by taking a picture of the gray scale with the settings menu open? How about a cie chart showing you are able to get Rec709 because my display certainly cannot.

You see I have my doubts because you tended to BS a lot in the past. I don't want to have to go get a van from a family member, drive 2 hours to exchange this TV, just to have the same issues. A picture takes 30 seconds and proves my set is faulty or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycamp5 View Post
If, with your calibrations, you're experiencing the opposite of these other owners, then how can you be 99% sure your exchanged set is gonna be the same?
Exchange the set. If, with the next set, you have the same results, then you can conclude this oled tv is not for you .
I haven't seen a single other member attempt to calibrate the display, they are all using eyeballed settings and/or copy/paste settings. I've not seen anyone but Vegas even claim to throw a grayscale up on the TV. It's not as easy as just driving to the store, it's borrowing a vehicle then a 2 hour drive over based on a single members feedback - a member that has raved about TVs in the past only to return them and do a complete 180.

I don't think it's asking much for a few members to test their displays with standard calibration patterns. So far no one really has.

Last edited by Tyrindor; 08-29-2014 at 06:03 PM.
post #746 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

Actually, my testing today has consisted of watching content I know very well. I can usually see when something is wrong, however I may not know why. I just spent almost 2 hours with Casablanca. Watched the BD w/24fps output from my Oppo 95. Tru Motion is OFF. Motion was completely natural throughout the entire film. Michael Curtiz had many fast swoop shots and push ins toward the end and they were all smooth as silk. I would be going nuts if it were any other way.

Earlier I played another Frozen Planet episode from the 60hz BD. Also with Tru Motion OFF. Sweeping pans all over the place. No visible judder. I was so impressed at times I actually applauded in my chair while watching. Don't know what else to say about the motion. This is the first LG I have ever ran into that didn't require Tru Motion to be ON at some degree. Yours is definitely different from mine in that regard.

I almost wonder if your firmware might be corrupted. Just a thought. But I am 100% honest about the motion on my 9300. It's like watching a super CRT as far as motion is handled.

As for the black uniformity on the sides, there may be an anomaly there. Using 16:9 B&W content I plan to look for problems and I will let you know. I also will get out my AVS disc and my Spears and Munsil and see how the grey scale displays. I can't do it right now and I am sorry in advance if you are in a hurry. But I will get to it by tomorrow morning if that helps at all. I hope so anyway. Are you noticing a slight yellowish tinge on the sides when playing B&W?

From what I have read, color CAN be properly nailed with massive effort and a few people have posted as to this and about specific steps to take. I am nowhere near your level of expertise on this but my eyes are. I can see that my color is slightly skewed, just a bit,. Nothing outrageous and it only truly shows up during B&W content so yes, it is probably the grey scale rearing it's ugly head. I am confident this can be overcome , at least enough to where I wont even notice it, which is my goal.

overall, I am extremely happy with this TV. I also want to report that after almost 2 hours of 4:3 content, the IR on the sides vanished after about 15 minutes of 16:9 video. If I feel the need to pause for any length of time, I don't leave the TV on and just cycle it off until I come back.

Anyway, I will make sure and run those patterns and tell you exactly what I saw, by the numbers .. My expectations are never too high, I know there is no such thing as a perfect TV, but I also know certain things must be right and in watching my preferred content I have so far not been disappointed at all.

Hang in there, you will get one that works!
post #747 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4906
Quote:
Mine is not aggressive at all. I have the update and have watched numerous B&W content that should induce tons of it. I assume it is operating but at a level that goes unnoticed to me. No visible pumping on any content I have viewed so far.

My Brightness is at 50 and Contrast at 80 with the OLED level set at 38. Perhaps higher levels might induce more visible signs of it. No ABL complaints here.

Marty,

I've certainly enjoyed your updates and your observations as you gain more experience with your new OLED.

I just started a new thread to collect recommended settings to experience the best-possible showroom-floor viewing in a Best Buy: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...-best-buy.html

Could I entice you to take the lead and to suggest the best basic settings to try when I am next in a Best Buy and want to spend more time with the 55EC9300? It's bright-room viewing, as you know, and I will be yanking out the canned USB demo and connecting a blueray player to watch a movie I'll bring with me.

I know enough to switch from 'vivid' to 'cinema' but am a bit lost as to what is the best setting for motion as well as any other settings that should be adjusted. With your growing experience with this TV, I'm hoping you can help (in the other thread).

Thanks in advance.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #748 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Marty, I sent you a PM.
post #749 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is this directed at me?

I'm one of three (?) owners in the thread and trying to prevent exchanging it by seeing if my issues are normal. You copied/pasted your settings from a review site and have really helped no one. All you do is state how great the display is over and over, but you don't offer any technical standpoints or advice. You tell me you can see all shades of gray scale at 50 brightness on the AVS disc. How about helping a member by taking a picture of the gray scale with the settings menu open? How about a cie chart showing you are able to get Rec709 because my display certainly cannot.

You see I have my doubts because you tended to BS a lot in the past. I don't want to have to go get a van from a family member, drive 2 hours to exchange this TV, just to have the same issues. A picture takes 30 seconds and proves my set is faulty or not.

I haven't seen a single other member attempt to calibrate the display, they are all using eyeballed settings and/or copy/paste settings. I've not seen anyone but Vegas even claim to throw a grayscale up on the TV. It's not as easy as just driving to the store, it's borrowing a vehicle then a 2 hour drive over based on a single members feedback - a member that has raved about TVs in the past only to return them and do a complete 180.

I don't think it's asking much for a few members to test their displays with standard calibration patterns. So far no one really has.

You are not on my list, Any owner has the right to bitch and complain all day long. I work during the day but plan on posting the grey scale slide later. I have answered any PM sent to me with questions. I am no professional calibrator and I might not be bothered by an issue that is bothering you.

If another display fits you better I wish you the best, of course I would rather see the owners grow instead of shrink. I am on your side and hope you resolve your issues, If not I highly recommend the Samsung OLED or F8500 (64" screen would be nice).

My issue is a member who is an expert from a drive by at BB not a frustrated owner. LG has clearly saved money by not calibrating the 9300 at all and we know the products now made in Mexico which may also be a factor. The 9800 out of the Box is calibrated much more accurate, I posted that opinion in the first day or so.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 08-29-2014 at 06:25 PM.
post #750 of 3002 Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 PM

What's the version number for the updated firmware?

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page